Competitive Modern Thread

Tactical Playmats Edition
Previously on Modern General: →

GP Tokyo 2018 Top Decks: magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpkyo18/gpkyo18-finals-decklists-2018-03-25

Dominaria release notes: magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/dominaria-leak-2018-03-08

>Playing
>Hating
>Brewing

>Thread question
As a competitive player you must take any advantage possible against your opponent. What non-standard, yet legal, strategies are to taking to psych out your opponent, user? I use playmats.

RESOURCES:
>metagame
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper
mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>Search Engines
scryfall.com/
magiccards.info/
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Default.aspx
>Budget Decks
pastebin.com/Q9D59Wry (embed)

Attached: MY NEW PLAYMAT.png (1447x1134, 1.17M)

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/top-bant-2/?cb=1522065713
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Footfags are the Lantern players of the sex world

Your local LGS owner cuts you a deal:
You get free admitance TO EVERY SANCTIONED FORMAT FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR but you MUST use pic related ALWAYS and in full view.

Do you accept, user?

Attached: DEVOTION TO BLACK PLAYMAT.jpg (960x720, 85K)

In a heartbeat, what even is this question?

DL lands?

As long as i get to keep it

>people complain about price of modern
>when you can get any non-RL card through facebook groups at at least 40% off
It's still crazy and I'm not defending WotC or investor jewery but $440 is far more palatable than $800.

is there a downside here I'm not seeing?

uhhh yeah?

I would use that playmat without having a deal attached to it so I mean there is literally no downside to this

Ok lads so I have 3 flex spots at my eldrazi and taxes list. I'm currently running 2x reality smasher and 1x gonti, but I've heard people advising against running smashers main board in this deck. Anyone have some experience to share? Also how safe is running 3 thalias instead of 4?

are you running thalia v2 ? if not play her x2

Of course, I'm a magic player, I'm a cuck by default.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/top-bant-2/?cb=1522065713

Am I onto something here? Is this list anything resembling viable for Friday Night Modern? Keep in mind things like Jeskai Control (which I have faced and beaten with MonoG Stompy) and Lantern Control (which I have never faced) are there, but there's also things like Boggles, Elves, 8Whack, and homebrews.

That makes some sense but it'd break the game. Everyone who plays MtG and a few other card games can see the land system is an incredibly flawed resource system, but since it's something deeply ingrained in the game, with fetching, destruction, ramping and all that, changing it in any way would vastly benefit and hurt decks which are balanced by the variance. Since it was created when people didn't know better and kept because it was good enough, it can't possibly be fixed without starting anew so you'd better just find another game instead. I like how Wizards realised that and did their best to render the system as pointless as they could with things like fetches, which allow you to have access to any of the 5 colors on T1 if you want, increasingly strong duals which have restrictions that make them as close as possible to Alpha duals and so on, but I feel they have sadly reached their limit and can't minimize the problem of lands much more.

Mismatched arts and frames are very powerful. If you can into mindgames you can get people angry easily too, like revealing your hand when you know they have absolutely no way of beating it, thanking them for bad plays and so on.

What about tapping the land in different ways?
One tapped to the left, one to the right whenever casting stuff

It's not even a question. I'm even willing to go monoblack devotion just for this playmat.

>Thread question
Play a completely foil jund deck with no sleeves

I don't think people pay attention to that.

>revealing your hand when you know they have absolutely no way of beating it
I reveal my hand often, just to speed things up. Like, if I'm swinging for lethal and they're thinking about how to organize their blocks or playing around a bolt, I'll just flash the bolt so they're not taking forever thinking about 18 billion different lines of play.

Or even if I'm on control and say someone is trying to combo off and keeps asking if shit resolves, I'll just show them my hand.

Does that fly in competitive tournaments?

Can you cast Dark Depths when you already have Marit Lage in play? They're not the same card, right?

>Lands are played, not cast

>The Legend rule only applies to permanents with the same English name; a token named Marit Lage and and land named Dark Depths do not have the same name

Fuck yeah, I'd pay to use that mat.

People get really mad when you explain to them they have no chance of winning. It's not against the rules but you risk becoming that guy.

>get playset of trinisphere months ago for ponza sideboard
>more than quadrupled in price
What else is it used in? Has ponza increased in popularity?

It's popular in legacy, but there's not much else it can do. Trinisphere's true strength is if you manage to cheat it on T1 or 2 which destroys a lot of decks.

>Everyone who plays MtG and a few other card games can see the land system is an incredibly flawed resource system
Fuck you, lands are the absolute best thing about magic.

I'm kind of glad the modern prices are fucked at the moment desu
I can just sell all my useless cards

I dont get why you see Terry Crews, and you think cuckold. You dont like the man?

well the only deck that i have now is a Doran one

wish me luck

Steve?

Play it out, you have no way of knowing if their hand can stop your answer.

>Everyone who plays MtG and a few other card games can see the land system is an incredibly flawed resource system
Better than all the others, or the lack of.

>collected company
>can only hit 10 creatures
Your deck is hot garbage.

who are you quoting?

The fuck I don't. What's he gonna do, gutteral response my electrolyze?

the rules

fair point, what should I put in in place of CoCo?

>2 each Apostle's Blessing, Gods Willing, and Vines of Vastwood
>Spell Blast
>Pact of Negation
>Mystic Snake
>Emeria Angel
>no real good Eldritch Evolution targets
>Watcher in the Web, hell almost all of that sideboard
>Cultivate for some reason
What the fuck?

Attached: i have some concerns.png (597x373, 57K)

Someone post spicy 8 rack tech

Thoughtseize your own rack turn one. Send a message.

Use this artwork, I'm sure the head judge will allow it

Attached: received_1817661628256113.jpg (297x430, 32K)