Fate

I don't see this system being discussed much on Veeky Forums, for better or worse. What's up with that? I decided to read through it recently, and now I really want to run a game of it. So let's talk about Fate.

>What's your current game like?
>Which supplementary books are most worth a read?
>What's the signs of a good Fate GM? What about a great one?

Attached: Fate.jpg (1014x487, 121K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ryanmacklin.com/2014/10/fate-the-discover-action/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I really liked, Atomic Robo, I remember it had some interesting things going on with "modes" of play. Haven't had a chance to run it, but worth a read for sure.

It could be a good game if you removed aspects, compels and all that shit.

>it could be a good game if you removed part of the reason it's a good game

Attached: brainlet.png (478x523, 14K)

Some people don't like the whole collaborative storytelling element that lets players have the freedom to mess with the world and story a bit, and others don't like that the combat system isn't really geared to being a tactical murder simulator so much as it is a "how do we resolve this scene" system.

These people are common on Veeky Forums, so FATE is largely glossed over.

I feel FATE is something more fun with friends.

But with strangers (in real life or online), the chances of getting a "that guy" are too high. And FATE is not really a "that guy" friendly game.

Maybe a proper FATE fan can help me, although I'm pretty sure I'll get the same cookie cutter response I always do.

The handful of times I tried FATE, there was no roleplaying. Instead, everyone treated it like a storygame a la Microscope or Quiet Year. There was no immersion to the game at all, instead people discussed and dissected scenes and characters, looking for thematically appropriate responses and Fate points were used as a way to keep people on track.

Is this the game operating as intended? It happened with three or four distinct groups that had no overlap, so I can't point at a bad GM, etc.

Poke.

I've run a very good, if short, Fate game (no need to capitalize it since Core) set in a weird-science-powered 1900 Paris. I liked the interplay between narrative and crunch, and my players, all new to RPGs, quickly slid into the right mindset. The setting came up during a collaborative brainstorming session using some sort of third-party system, and I was surprised at how coherent the thing came out in the end. I have some gripes with Accelerated, and in fact I was thinking about shifting to regular Fate, but the game fell through for IRL reasons, as it often happens.

>The handful of times I tried FATE, there was no roleplaying. Instead, everyone treated it like a storygame a la Microscope or Quiet Year

Ur a faget

Well Fate is a 'story game' and gives players tools to take control of narrative beyond just being in character in a world. But I don't think people should skip roleplaying. And while you said it has been problem with many GM's, I still think it's GM's responsibility to go "let's stop talking, we have scene, we have characters, we have situation, what does your character do?"

All in all, at it's core Fate is still game about characters who do stuff and that should be the main focus of players.

>faget

no user, u are the homotouch

Note the etc. at the end there. But no, there was no roleplaying at all. Lots of "Here is the scene, we know that user's Detective has 'Chasing the Dragon' and 'Fool for a Fast Woman', while the Zone has 'House of Ill Repute'. So he should go in, trigger both and react... this way. How should that resolve?" Then there was haggling for narrative direction, rolling of dice, offering of fate points, and moving on to the next scene.

Which isn't a bad play experience in and of itself, just not what I was looking for.

FATE DOES have some of the best settings I've read though. Only a couple Worlds of Adventure failed to do anything for me and I'd REALLY love to play that one about being gods who risk becoming monsters.

I adore Fate.

> the combat system isn't really geared to being a tactical murder simulator so much as it is a "how do we resolve this scene" system

This is what I enjoy so much about Fate. Instead of slogging through a tactical Pathfinder/D&D battle it feels like creating an action movie scene. Fate can be easily adapted to anything and it encourages players to be creative, use the environment and circumstances to their advantage, and the end result is PCs doing awesome things in exciting ways without being bogged down in rules.

I plan on running a few games of Fate soon and I'm sure my players will have a blast.

>why doesn't anyone discuss a terrible game by a terrible company
gee I wonder

Attached: don't stop me now.png (200x241, 73K)

I don't know what you mean, Pathfinder gets discussed all the time.

The problem with FATE is not it being hippy, group storytelling. Quite the opposite. FATE turns everything into a mechanic. Because anything and everything can be statted up, including puzzles and other challenges, regardless of what the meters are called and what skills do the damage you are often just chipping away at the "health" bar of a problem - be it a murder mystery, a plague, a war, whatever.

Dealing social damage instead of gaining a piece of information or something for a successful use of a social skill isn't satisfying, for instance.

>Lots of "Here is the scene, we know that user's Detective has 'Chasing the Dragon' and 'Fool for a Fast Woman', while the Zone has 'House of Ill Repute'.
I don't want to say that people are playing the game wrong, but I kinda want to say that. Like that seriously sounds like people are skipping the part where they actually play the scenes.
How do skill checks happen in play like that as that should come from characters doing something, acting on the scene.

Just because something can be done doesn't mean it has to be done. Bronze rule is there for when GM wants for something that isn't a person to have some more mechanical weight. I'm running a campaign that has had lots of social situations many which could have been conflicts even and I've never gone further than one skill check. Sometimes not even that, just talking in character to find something that everyone is happy with. Of course dice are always option, if compromise isn't found otherwise.

Nah, the fundamental problem is that the 4d3-8 dice curve is too steep. Every action is either impossible, a coin flip, or a guaranteed success, with little granularity in between.

>Note the etc. at the end there. But no, there was no roleplaying at all. Lots of "Here is the scene, we know that user's Detective has 'Chasing the Dragon' and 'Fool for a Fast Woman', while the Zone has 'House of Ill Repute'. So he should go in, trigger both and react... this way. How should that resolve?" Then there was haggling for narrative direction, rolling of dice, offering of fate points, and moving on to the next scene.

So you played it like shit, and blame the game.
Again, you're a faget.

Fred Hicks is a very shitty person.

I feel like for whatever reason Fudge dice fuck players every time. I've seen -4 plenty of times; I saw my first +4 in like 6 sessions yesterday.

You could also play something powered by apocalypse to get the same cinematic feel. They have generally better dice rolling mechanics and are usually more fun because there's more risk involved. Dungeon World is my system of choice but now I'm reading through Blades in the Dark and the entire thing feels like Thief 1/2 and that gets me erect by just reading it, can't wait to run it.

PbtA is limited by the available games and even for stuff that is there, not ever PbtA game is equally good. Fate is that way, more easily setting universal.

>I don't see this system being discussed much on Veeky Forums, for better or worse. What's up with that?

Unlike you, we aren't getting a paycheck to create threads about it

This. While it's true that there's a ton of PbtA hacks, each one has a lot of specific things over the basic resolution mechanic, and not all of them are equally good. Fate requires less work as a generic system.

No rollplaying gets autists angry, and Veeky Forums is an autist board.

Fiction first is a thing, you know. I don't remember offhand how Fate formulates it specifically, but you cannot play it without the fiction any more than other RPGs.

Fate? Didn't like

Dresden files and Atomic robo?
The minor changes did a 180 for me, and I love those.

I love the system but always think to myself that I'd like something like it but crunchy and build heavy. Except something crunchy and build heavy wouldn't be Fate at all, so I'm back nowhere.

I don't like things super crunchy, but I for longest time thought similarly, but recently I realized that Fate is actually fine.
It's not perfect system as nothing is, but I'm currently into it.

Fate and Fate accelerated are the go-to system for oneshots in my (rather large) playgroup. Although I'm not a fan of meta-currencies, I think Fate has one of the best approaches to it. It also encourages a healthy "screw yourself over once in a while" mentality which drives of powergamers and self-insert wish-fulfilment types.

Also, what describes is definitely the best part of the game. When you're an expert at something, you succeed unless you try something insane. If you suck at something, you fucking suck at it. I find it infuriating how often untrained morons beat experts due to sheer chance in DnD. In Fate you at least have a reliable idea of what you can do.

I'm curious, what's your approach on one-shots with Fate?
Do you do full on character creation, pre-mades, some sort of one shot friendly shorter version of character creation.

Maybe it's different with group where everyone is experienced with the game and system, but in my few times running the game, the character creation has taken a while as there is lot to come up with. Add even more time if you do the whole proper game creation bit.

The GM fills in character sheets for as much as his plot dictates before the session, and typically lets his players choose characters from n+1 or n+2 options. The rest are handed to the players as empty slots to fill in whenever they feel like it. It allows for some character building before choosing aspects, and prevents dysfunctional parties.

The rest of the aspects and such, that is, not the rest of the character sheets.

Fate loses flavor in the process of trying to be completely generic. Every setting you play feels the same.

Attached: 1520126807504.png (475x417, 273K)

I disagree. Fate just requires putting little more effort in establishing the setting through narration when you can't use the "I have Cyber-arm of Assfucking 2024 Mark-3 that gives me +2 to this roll," as a shorthand.

But every setting can and does do that

One very important house rule I would recommend to any GM running Fate is to introduce a fifth action: discover.

Ryan Macklin explains here:

ryanmacklin.com/2014/10/fate-the-discover-action/
>If I could go back in time, I would add this to the ruleset.

Without the discover action, it is trivial to break the game through low-risk create an advantage actions under Empathy, Investigate, Lore, and Notice which stockpile free invocations.

Additionally, for any seeking to run Fate Accelerated, I would strongly advise devising your own list of six approaches. The definitions of the default six approaches are a complete wreck, to the point wherein Clever can apply to nearly anything.
>Clever: A Clever action requires that you think fast, solve problems, or account for complex variables. Finding the weakness in an enemy swordsman’s style. Finding the weak point in a fortress wall. Fixing a computer.
The optimal Fate Accelerated character is an Ozymandias/Amadeus Cho expy who uses Clever for everything.

It gets particularly degenerate in the Dresden Files Accelerated, wherein Clever is renamed "Intellect," and somehow manages to cover even more than before.
>Intellect: Quick thinking, the solving of complex problems, or accounting for numerous variables at once. Examples: Code breaking, outwitting a fae courtier, counting cards in a poker game.
Fae illusions are Intellect-based, because apparently, being intelligent is more important for weaving illusions than being sneaky or guileful. Likewise, the Sight and Soulgaze are both powered by Intellect and defended against with Intellect, because surely such willpower-based activities are simply a matter of being smart and clever.

Attached: afb49eab2398fa5586c36369a21712b1.jpg (800x1080, 278K)

Your group was playing Fate like a group of DnD players. Fuck that battleplan nonsense. Throw your character into situations and have them react.

>Without the discover action, it is trivial to break the game through low-risk create an advantage actions
Even with the discover action it’s trivially easy to completely break the game stacking CaA.

Both of those, but especially Accelerated ones solve player problems. And best solution for player problems is a boot. Alternatively a stern talk, but let's be honest, no one here wants to have a real conversation with other human being without fictional characters and rules in the way.

Came all the way here to agree with you

Honestly, D&D players need to calm down on metagaming anyway since it makes no sense their characters have 15 minutes to orchestrate 6 seconds.

Invoke caps could help. I'm integrating them into my setting hack.

Attached: I came here to support your viewpoint.gif (500x375, 1001K)

>Invoke caps could help. I'm integrating them into my setting hack.
In combat you can also actively have opposition dismantling advantages before they are used.
Assumed characters are out of combat and have more time that could be less of an option, but still shit needs to make sense and make sure that failed attempt at making advantage comes with consequences.

Leave it to 2hu to trying to optimize in fucking Fate. GB2 /4eg/.

Guys

How do Boosts work?

I can't tell if they last until Overcome, until the end of a round, or until it makes no narrative sense for the Boost to exist.

From the SRD:

Once you invoke the boost, it goes away. They go away on their own fairly quickly—usually after the next action when you could use them—so use them as soon as possible! If you want, you can allow another character to invoke your boost, though it needs to be relevant to their action and could help them out

I ran a Fate campaign and never had that problem come up. Aspects got invoked and compelled, but the group never sat down and tried to min/max what they could do with it, and immersion never got broken.
Might have been you got into powergamer groups, and rather than minmaxing stats and feats, they were trying to do that with aspects.

>Dealing social damage instead of gaining a piece of information or something for a successful use of a social skill isn't satisfying, for instance.
then you're doing it wrong. dealing social damage should get you an Advantage to get the information you need. Unless you did it in such a way to turn them into a slavering monster, in which case you fucked up.

Sounds more like a problem with your GM than the system.
I've never had a Fate game come across as completely generic and feeling the same across different settings.

Alright user. Dish.

One of the game's designers being the source of his suggestions does give it some credence.

>I don't see this system being discussed much on Veeky Forums, for better or worse. What's up with that?

It's good, but there's not much else to say. It works for whatever you want to do, and it works well. It's rarely exceptional but offers a lot of opportunity for exceptional players to shine. It's simple and clean.

Conversation kinda stalls out after that IMHO, just jerking.

Techinically there is room for talk and questions like "how would you suggest handling this kind of thing", or "I've been thinking about this kind of extra mechanic, how does it look" and generic beginner questions.
But I assume there isn't big enough pool of Fate playing/running people here to sustain something like that.

I've never had a system make me feel like a bigger idiot than FATE. Joined a game not long ago and I was agonizing over trying to translate the concept I had in mind over to the aspects and skills. Trying to make stunts that weren't droll 'spend a FATE point to receive +2 to a roll'. Trying to make something that wouldn't seem to be unbalanced, without never having played with the system myself.

In the end I got through everything, the game started and it's fun. I think I prefer more concrete systems, but it's fun to weave a story through with.

Attached: 1449129739967.jpg (500x582, 25K)

>What's your current game like?
Digimon.

>Which supplementary books are most worth a read?
Both Toolkit books, for starters. Also, any book that has specific mechanics you would totally want for your game. And of course everything in the SRD website. Dresden Files Accelerated provides a nice approach (no pun intended) to using conditions and another way to create stress tracks.

>What's the signs of a good Fate GM? What about a great one?
I'd suggest leaving a lot of creative freedom to players. Instead of saying what happens next, tell them what the result should be and let them narrate the outcome. Also let your players play NPCs. Only once I didn't let a player do it, but that's because I couldn't really trust him that he wouldn't do bullshit and make us lose time in explaining him how he shouldn't choice stuff only to benefit himself (we know him very well and we know he would totally do that). Other than that, once I even caught a player by surprise when I told him to play the NPC.

>Game author: I could have included one more action type to increase granularity
>THF: HEY YOU CAN TOTALLY MAXIMIZE USES OF CLEVER IN ORDER TO WIN AT FATE ACCELERATED

Same thing.

The discover action piece was an interesting read coming from a Dev, but it has a bit of the usual Perception problem: it becomes a roll to negotiate how much information about the world PCs have access to. This is a key point that very few games have addressed (the most egregious example being GUMSHOE). I'm not entirely convinced that it needs to be a separate action, because it risks becoming too central (roll to let me tell you what you see), also considering that "invoke for effect" is something that is already present in Fate.

This. Pretty much the only reason I'm not into fate is because I have a hard time separating the creation from the creator.

You guys just going to dicktease all day or are you gonna actually talk about why?

What makes him shitty though?

I mean hes a shitlib is that what you're talking about?

He has these family oriented conservative values (which is fine), and goes out of his way to attack anything that doesn't align with them (which isn't). He started that whole big outrage against Kingdom Death a while back claiming that because the game had nudity/disturbing themes it shouldn't exist on the grounds that a kid could potentially get ahold of it. That's a big one for me, but there a lot of other minor incidents where he has come off as very pro-censorship.

Fate Accelerated is much more popular

what are the minor changes?

I know that Dresden and Atomic Robo were both built on 2nd edition, for one thing. So changes would be to the number of refresh, and columns changing to the pyramid, at least.

Accelerated has a purpose, as a "Quick system for Lazy GMs".
Core just complicates things.

Attached: 1485740461157.jpg (600x2301, 802K)

Atomic Robo is post-Core, and uses some sort of skill package thing I don't remember the name of.

Having played both, I often found accelerated too vague, in comparison to a clearly defined skill list as in core.

Two different problems, dumbass.
And Clever IS too strong in Fate Accelerated.

So what different approaches would you suggest? OR should I just pare down what clever covers?

>Trying to optimize in Fate Accelerated

Why the fuck are you even here? Don't you have a coffeelock to finish building?
Fiction first, faggot. A game with six fucking stats and you're trying to win it. Get a life.

Wow you're an angry boy

A change in playstyle doesn't remove a problem. I'm not that guy and don't even play FAE myself but it's obvious how a score being too effective would be a problem in practical play. Even if you're not being a shit about it, a totally casual group going in blind can easily end up with one player being much better because his approach has more obvious applications to everything.

Don't put words in peoples mouth and make a shit of things fag.

Honestly Fate would work better without Skills or Approaches. Just add a couple more Aspects, crank up the Refresh a couple points, and grant a couple more free Stunts.

If I were a player in a group with someone trying to be overly clever (pun intented), I'd just go "while Spok here is coming up with plan, I'll walk up to the dude and punch him in the jaw. Going for forceful rather than flashy."

Also when it's time for fast action like "rocks fall everyone get out of the way", trying to think your way out of that will be harder and probably riskier than just hitting the deck.
Same argument goes elsewhere too, you can describe many things in Flashy and Quick ways.

In my personal opinion, FATE is a mess. I wanted to like it, but the system created more problems than it solved.

The way it does things is too abstract and overly focused on its mechanics. It leads to you trying to fit what's going on into the different categories, instead of actually thinking about the action; and the mechanics are simple in theory but awfully hard to understand in practice (or the two groups I played with are neanderthals). said that FATE was a "how do we resolve this scene system", but in my experience it's the contrary - creative solutions are actively punished by the rigidity of the system.
For example, say the party is fighting a troll and one of them gets the idea to light their arrows on fire (because trolls are vulnerable to fire ETC). What the is this? An attack action? A create an advantage action? An overcome action? I honestly have no idea how to rule it.
There was a pasta about a shadowrun party escaping from their pursuers in a high-speed highway chase by bringing down the tunnel they just went through with an RPG shot. Again, I have no clue how to do this "by the book" - especially given the fact that, if successful, it would end the chase.

To be honest, I'd rather go full freeform (or use a d6 for task resolution or some ultra-simple homebrew), or play Savage Worlds.
I invite any of you to change my mind - I did not come here to hate on FATE for the sake of it, I'm relaying my personal experience and I would very much like to play FATE "the right way" since I'm attracted to the theory of it.

>A create an advantage action?
I would rule it as this one simply because the Troll would have the aspect "Weak to fire" so you are now creating "flaming arrows".

>For example, say the party is fighting a troll and one of them gets the idea to light their arrows on fire (because trolls are vulnerable to fire ETC). What the is this? An attack action? A create an advantage action? An overcome action? I honestly have no idea how to rule it.
Create advantage "burning arrows". Skill depends. Craft would probably be my first thought, also Lore if it's more in the "do I know that trolls are weak to fire", middle of action it could even be Stealth to stay out of the way long enough to set up the fire arrows.

>There was a pasta about a shadowrun party escaping from their pursuers in a high-speed highway chase by bringing down the tunnel they just went through with an RPG shot. Again, I have no clue how to do this "by the book" - especially given the fact that, if successful, it would end the chase.
Overcome. The difficulty can be fairly high. And if they end chase with that, cool. High fives all around. Unless one of the characters has aspect "Marked and tracked by Mike's Meat Processing Inc." which could be compelled to cause there be new chaisers, and provide and hint on who is after them.

>What the is this? An attack action? A create an advantage action? An overcome action? I honestly have no idea how to rule it.

You just pick one and go with it, no wrong answers.

Core could've been more explicit about the need to make rulings as you go but what else do you expect from a universal system?

It's perfectly clear from your posts that you didn't even read the books, and are just memeing bullshit.

Fate Core is a very basic skill based system. It's got a bit of specific jargon, but the basic way to resolve things is just task resolution as in every other traditional RPG, only that it's called Overcome. Attack is just a specific use of that.
Aspects are there, as a way to give players control over the sort of circumstance bonuses usually regulated by the DM. There's a few more things you can do with them, but the basic gist is that Fate can be played in the same way a stripped down d20 system would be (say, microlite20). Mechanically, I mean. Where it shines, is when you and the players work together in the narrative frame and use the rules to support it.

Now, accelerated is a different beast. The approaches are very wide and not tied to a specific course of action. It's a shift from what you do to how you do it. This has its problems, because sometimes it's hard to gauge things on the fly. The way most people try to solve it though is just to turn approaches back into skills which kinda misses the point.
Arguing that clever is too broad is stupid, because approaches exist within the fiction, and it should be clear from the fiction what sort of approach I'm taking. "I cleverly sneak into the room" is something that no sane table would allow unless it's appropriate for some reason.

>Arguing that clever is too broad is stupid, because approaches exist within the fiction, and it should be clear from the fiction what sort of approach I'm taking. "I cleverly sneak into the room" is something that no sane table would allow unless it's appropriate for some reason.
Well the Asshole-player-2045 could say something like "I'll observe the movements and patterns of guards and formulate a plan that grants me best odds of getting in the room unnoticed."
And that could be valid way of approaching a situation, but that again doesn't stop the rogue from going "yea, fuck that, I'll just sneak in".
And if one wants to play the annoying *adjusts glasses* character, they can feel free. But rolling only one thing doesn't make the character better, it makes it boring and thus bad.

The point is, trying to win at Fate Accelerated by playing a Clever-only minmaxed character makes no sense, because either what you do is appropriate in the fiction, in which case good for you for playing your character, or it isn't, in which case you shouldn't be allowed to do it.

This makes me think of the Doctor Who RPG. Turn order is determined by what you plan to do - Talkers, Movers, Doers, Fighters. The same could be done with Approaches - Quick, Flashy, Forceful, Sneaky, Careful, Clever.

>It works for whatever you want to do, and it works well
this. it's a balanced game with a very workable, flexible system that can do almost anything, and do it surprisingly well. Veeky Forums loves to bitch and complain, and there's not really anything to bitch and complain about.

>it was basically nothing

Man, fuck you for getting my hopes up about something actually worth talking about.
That's like mild jerk status, and the way you guys were acting I was expecting the next Martin Shkreli.

wow, what a complete nothing burger

check out the "conversion kit" for core/accelerated. It actually helps to solidly define stuff for accelerated and makes it a much more solid platform.

Not sure if he’s the same one responsible, but I remember when the whole gamergate hullabaloo was going on someone tried to make a satire card game about SJWs to put on DriveThruRPG, but someone from Evil Hat threw a fit about it. They basically said “Uhhmm, if you don’t take this misogynistic game off your site I guess we’ll have to take our business elsewhere”. Unsurprisingly, DriveThruRPG caved in and pulled the game from their store. That alone is enough for me to never support FATE or any Evil Hat product. Once you start using your clout in the industry to bully creators from selling their products, you are officially a shit company.

>trying to win at Fate Accelerated by playing a Clever-only minmaxed character makes no sense,
I don't think anyone is seriously presenting this as the case or about "winning" at Fate. Just that the wording on 'Clever' is broad enough to warrant it being the stat you max out since clever overlaps with other stats depending on the situation. Even the creator has an article or two about how you can retool Approaches since he went with the most broad and universal adjectives when making FAE.

I think there is some merit to realizing that there is a ""god stat"" in FAE and the GM can just choose to re-tool the entire idea rather than having to police players constantly over when they can apply clever to a situation because not every player is an asshole munchkin.

Thinking about it, the argument that some approaches are "better" in FAE when Core's skill system has same problem but amplified. Like of course everything depends on campaign, but it's much more likely that someone with high Fight gets to shine a lot, while person with max Craft, gets erection every time GM mentions an uneven table, passing in narration.

As someone who GMs, here's how I'd do it.
>Player: I would like to set my arrows on fire since trolls a Weak Against Fire.
>Dm: Cool, (is there anything where they are to start a fire automatically, or do they have to start it themselves? Players are in a car, so the former). Give me a Lore roll:
>player: skill of +3 and a roll of Neutral.
>DM: awesome, you know you can rip of fabric from the seat to wrap around the arrowhead and the cigaret lighter will start it burning. Your Craft skill is +2 so you don't need to roll to make it.
>Player: Okay, I'll do that.
>play cycles around while he's crafting arrows. They roll a Craft skill to make 3 of them (skill +2 and roll of +1)
>Player: Okay, I've got my arrows made.
>GM: alright, roll me a Shoot action to hit.
Nice, simple, easy.
>Player 2: Hey, can I shoot the Tunnel with my RPG to try and block it so the guys chasing us can't follow?
>GM: Sure. It's going to be a Difficulty of +4 though.
>Player: Skill of +3 Shooting, rolls a -1, but they spend a fate point to activate their Aspect of "Gulf War Veteran" for a +2, giving them a total of +4.
>GM: The RPG round fires off as the Driver hits a pothole, causing your shot to bounce slightly, but it strikes the archway of the tunnel and destroys the support there, sending earth, stone, and concrete crashing to the ground and creating a four foot high barrier across the road, blocking your pursuers.
Again, not that hard or complicated.

Every approach overlaps with every other approach based on the situation. That's why they're called approaches. A guy in a thread a while ago was asking the same thing about Flashy, because since FAE characters are action heroes, they're going to do flashy things a lot of the time.
The point is, that "based on the situation" is not something that you can discount as a side remark, it's the focal point of how the game works.

>Every approach overlaps with every other approach based on the situation.
Yes, but one stat having far more overlap than the others and being far more applicable to a wider range of situations is definitely a reason to discuss it. Unlike Flashy which in this example, is great during a specific tone of the campaign, clever doesn't need it to be about action heroes to be more splashable compared to other approaches.

Don't you have a user to ban and a thread featuring discourse over ableism to delete, Mr. Hicks?

If we could get away from the usual suspects of Fate threads that come around every cycle and never go away.
I've been thinking about mechanic for game that has been a vague plan for a while.

Mechanized Reputation.
I'm wanting characters to have actual business or at least established name and fame in their community. And I felt it could be fun if that business would have reputation that could help or hinder them depending how liked they are.
Aspects could be way to do it, but they are kinda rigid and there are plenty of aspects going around anyways.
I was thinking of scale that goes from -2 to +2 and simply gives such bonus or penalty to skill checks where it's relevant, probably mostly contacts and rapport rolls, I think. And can swing up and down situationally. Anger people, ask wrong things from wrong people and reputation goes down and be good neighbor help people and such and it goes up.

That's kinda simple and 100% unnecessary thing, but I feel it could give some nice spice to game where characters are established part of a community and puts a bit of focus on how they are perceived.

No because you're arbitrarily deciding that for some reason all approaches are context dependent except one, and forcing it into a problem when it isn't. There are campaigns where any one of the approaches is going to be more often appropriate than others, there's nothing intrinsically wrong with Clever. Try running a Dragonball game in FAE and tell me that Clever is still the most used one.

idk, is the thread actually discussing "ableism" or did it turn into an autism fest of "people who can do thing are ableist which hurts my fee fees because I can't do them and you're discriminating against me and everyone needs to be handicapped so i don't look like a complete waste of humanity?" because if it's the autism fest I will totally delete the thread and ban the user for being a daft cunt.

>from the "conversion kit"
>Careful: burglar, deceit, empathy, investigate, lore, notice, shoot, stealth, will
>Clever: burglary, contacts, crafts, deceit, empathy, investigate, lore, rapport, will
>Flashy: athletics, contacts, crafts, drive, fight, physique, provoke, rapport, resources
>Forceful: athletics, drive, fight, notice, physique, provoke, resources, shoot, will
>Quick: athletics, crafts, drive, fight, notice, physique resources, shoot, stealth
>Sneaky, burglary, contacts, deceit, empathy, investigate, lore, provoke, rapport, stealth
Honestly, it's pretty balanced when you get down to it. There's easy solutions to a powergamer going "one stat for everything."

>Try running a Dragonball game in FAE and tell me that Clever is still the most used one.
We both admit that there are going to be better approaches depending on context and genre cherry picking Ariana row where flash full and forceful would arguably be better does not change my state., however I've run a handful of campaigns using fate accelerated, and I have noticed that I'm not particularly fond of the approaches as they are as some of them seem far less usable than others. It's a shame that I never had considered just making up my own six and I definitely will keep that in mind for the future, but I think there is a reason why even the Creator understands that approached aren't perfect. There are literally aspects that are better than others across the board and in Far More situations.

I don't know where you get off saying this is an arbitrary distinction, even in Dragon Ball Z being clever would work as a very good stat. Maybe not Dragon Ball super but definitely through a number of arc's in Z being just forceful isn't going to be good enough.

I do have an idea for using the core system to run a Terra formars theme campaign. I've just been in a bit lazy in writing up the separate track I want to handle the transformations. But I really am enjoying a how the stress track is the ideal solution to the problem I've had a win in the how people drop out of their transform state.

>I do have an idea for using the core system to run a Terra formars theme campaign. I've just been in a bit lazy in writing up the separate track I want to handle the transformations. But I really am enjoying a how the stress track is the ideal solution to the problem I've had a win in the how people drop out of their transform state.
that sounds fucking awesome

I agree that approaches aren't perfect, because I personally had issues with Careful of all things - it was an historical investigative game and that was the approach that came up the most. But that was because the fiction led us there, the same way a shonen game is going to use forceful or flashy a lot of times and a thief campaign is going to use sneaky.
It's not an issue with clever specifically, because approaches come from the fiction.

I DM too and I'd do similarly. Honestly I think Fate suffers from a shitty rule book. It took me a long time to really "get" the game, the text I think encourages thinking about mechanics when actual play itself should just be thinking about actions and then working your tools to do it.