Should you let atheists players play religious characters?

Should you let atheists players play religious characters?
I've read here the opinion that you shouldn't because someone without faith is just going to play a caricature out of ignorance but on the other hand isn't forcing them to play irreligious characters in settings where the existence of god(s) is evident could be seen as forcing them as playing strawmen of themselves.

Attached: 1509339216458.png (500x327, 40K)

Half the fucking point of roleplay is being something youre not for a while. Of course you should let a player who is X ppay a character who is Y. That goes for all of these questions.

It's not a matter whether a person practices faith IRL or not, it's a matter of whether they can depict a character who does. *Some* atheists would make hash of it, sure, but a Christian playing a character who worships a setting-specific deity isn't going to have a much better frame of reference and might botch it almost as easily. Real life beliefs don't have much bearing on one's ability to play a character's beliefs.

In short: IRL faith/lack thereof is irrelevant to role-play skills.

An atheist might oppose the idea of an omnipotent, omnipresent god that controls reality and determines what's good and what's evil, but most polytheistic settings are not like that at all.

Following a god in a standard D&D-like setting is like working for a corporation with a very nice retirement and benefits package. You'd be stupid not to!

The gods aren't infallible, they get into stupid fights and get their ass kicked time to time, they're just humans on a big scale and with a big autistic focus on their domain.

>Should you let atheists players play religious characters?
Yes, don't be a retard, now fuck off.

>Should you let atheists players play religious characters?
How's that even a question. Are you actually, unironically, literally autistic?

What, are you gonna ask for their Jesus card at the door if they want to be a Cleric? Even people who are religious in real life aren't qualified to play the kind of religion-based characters that appear in RPGs, unless they spend their free time shooting faith lasers from their magic sword at heretics and undead creatures.

Atheists are more apt to look at religion objectively and therefore better able to play a religious character. If you're playing with people that can't help but make everything a strawman for their personal beliefs then stop doing that.

Should women allowed to play male characters, sound like inviting sexist stereotypes into your game.
How about academic people playing commoners? Surely there will be thinly veiled elitism in the presentation.
And humans certainly should allowed to play elves as they'd never do justice to the experience of ageless race.

>no evidence of god even existing
vs
>literal god given powers
>aspects and avatars being a real thing
?

Most people are atheists because they don't want to be involved in cultish rituals or sectarianism. This is a common reason in Scotland.

Honestly and from the heart?
So long as it isn't my religion or beliefs go for it.
Honestly? Just let them do it. This whole scenario is kind of the point of roleplay.

Didn't you ask this question a day ago?

And yes you can play as anything. Ff you inform yourself of other religions and how people of this religion act, it can deepen the roleplay experience.

I'm going to post some religous images that I find funny or interesting.

Attached: electrophilia.jpg (987x4563, 1.95M)

Attached: Moment.jpg (1600x1197, 542K)

Attached: Deus Vult.jpg (1000x1537, 536K)

>Didn't you ask this question a day ago?
OP makes lots of useless repetitive threads. Don't be prejudiced.

I'm an atheist and I vastly enjoy playing faithful characters.
I WISH there was a higher power that I could delight in the presence of. I WISH there was objectivity to virtue and sin. It would be an incredible relief to have angels to heed and demons to destroy.

Attached: 1501793868963.png (819x1024, 1.26M)

It's entirely fine. It's more annoying when Atheist players try to force their Atheism into every fucking aspect of the game. It's a magical fucking fantasy world. Your character doesn't need to be an edgelord just because you are.

You can be an atheist without being a pedantic fuck who tips in fedora even in setting where gods are real. Roleplaying faith isn't really complicated if you got some empathy and documente yourself. A lot of people don't believe in god nowadays (or at least are quite sceptical about it) I'm not going to stop any player from playing the characters they want.

Attached: halle1.jpg (1226x6076, 1.34M)

Attached: halle2.jpg (1217x1600, 495K)

Attached: halle3.jpg (1210x6121, 1.92M)

Let people play as what they like you mong.
Shouldn't I be able to play as a buff barbarian because I'm sticc?
Whoever told you that is a fucking idiot, man.

Attached: halle4.jpg (1217x8009, 2.22M)

Guess you can only play human characters with the skillset you currently possess then eh OP you fucking dipshit.

Attached: 216.jpg (778x675, 238K)

azrael was always a nifty character

I like the craziness of religion. And the rhetoric.

I have an orthodox friend and we play Transhuman Space/Eclipse Phase just right.

I'm atheist and I play clerics for preference all the time.

I'm atheist and messing about with cool belief systems is one of my favorite parts of worldbuilding.

my nigga, like exactly my nigga.

There's nothing wrong with it as long as they aren't doing it to be an ass. We all roleplay things we arent. As long as they do it with good intentions to enjoy the game it's fine, even if they kind of suck at it and it comes off a little forced or wrong.

If they are specifically doing it to try and prove a point, or with malicious intent then that's different. That's a toxic attitude, and bringing negative attitudes like that hurts the game. Hard to have a good time if someone is trying to stick it to you and make you feel wrong or stupid.

Their religious beliefs don't matter, what matters is are they a dick?