Let's have a good old-fashioned paladin thread. Post art, stories, quotes, whatever

Let's have a good old-fashioned paladin thread. Post art, stories, quotes, whatever.

I'll start with some paladin/knight art

Attached: 8f912f72f34aa0cc881a3840d7d14a2a.jpg (736x998, 90K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Terrail,_seigneur_de_Bayard
youtube.com/watch?v=tgvxu8QY01s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Attached: c248d6ee608e9b45c4cf1c3a09c2312d--fantasy-art-male-fantasy-armor.jpg (735x1141, 51K)

Attached: 234e.jpg (600x802, 95K)

Attached: 1520099642558.jpg (564x841, 71K)

Have this my friend

Attached: 1513729630507.jpg (1330x1196, 629K)

Attached: Crusader with gun.jpg (1478x1896, 385K)

Attached: 1520047215286.jpg (1108x1440, 762K)

One way to handle a wayward player who is capable of learning.

Attached: redeeming paladin.png (3700x2900, 1.12M)

Attached: paladin_by_yakonusuke-d6tgio8.jpg (914x788, 102K)

Tomorrow's my first session for a new campaign I'm playing as a paladin of Lathander the morning lord. Wish me luck my brothers.

One way to handle a wayward player who is simply determined to be awful.

Attached: Justice.png (1273x955, 220K)

Attached: 1519903371741.jpg (699x941, 322K)

Attached: 1519857937939.jpg (736x1165, 68K)

Played a dwarven paladin/samurai and quickly realized that chaotic good is gay

Attached: 48e1fbb7e3cbcf6a3dfb5fc73e453e50.jpg (736x1007, 75K)

What brought you to this conclusion?

Attached: 1519851500701.jpg (904x960, 112K)

First time playing a paladin coming up soon, any advice?

play according to your oath/viewpoints as much as possible since you get your powers from your deity/oaths themselves.

how does one progress from hallowed coward into a noble paladin bros

Attached: redblackwhite paladin.jpg (1000x1518, 187K)

/r/ing the Paladin story where the rogue pretends to be a Paladin and ends up becoming the patron saint of guerrilla warfare

Attached: rouge paladin.png (1546x1250, 171K)

>V E R S A T I L E

See

Bayard is and always will be the real life paladin.
You're not mourned by your ennemies, while BTFOing a traitor, by just being nice.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Terrail,_seigneur_de_Bayard

Attached: Bayard_sur_le_pont_du_Garigliano.jpg (865x598, 91K)

This one always gets me, man

Well this is a rather nice story. Pretty touching.

I hate to be the one to point this out, but, uh, "rogue" is misspelled in the filename... that one word, man, or rather those two words.

Attached: blonde_lioness_knight.jpg (900x1093, 131K)

Attached: retribution_by_tamplierpainter-d79jjze.jpg (1600x995, 410K)

Attached: Sigismund_Imperial_Fists.jpg (300x750, 61K)

>“I'm not a natural killer! See this? See what it says? I'm supposed to keep the peace, I am! If I kill people to do it, I'm reading the wrong manual!”

That one's my favorite, I look to it when every I'm having trouble getting into the role.

Attached: 1509630989959.jpg (1235x766, 227K)

Attached: 1518490884731.png (524x1200, 51K)

Attached: 1518626304143.png (1010x176, 60K)

Attached: Go back to your pit, serpent of old.png (992x1856, 199K)

Attached: Lots_of_Speech_Bubbles.png (722x869, 84K)

Attached: 1512720018225.png (984x928, 926K)

My first D&D campaign ever had a paladin in it. It was very loose goosy as we were barely freshmen in high school at the time. The story isn't that great but I could probably use some creative freedom to spice it up a bit if anyone wants to hear about Dan the "Paladin".

what are some good tunes that make you think "Paladin" Veeky Forums?

I AM SILLY

Attached: Lord_Shaxx.png (660x662, 522K)

Well...there's the obvious:
youtube.com/watch?v=tgvxu8QY01s

Attached: 6d6441877025e47c9a6d3678a5320873.jpg (500x709, 118K)

God, for how bad the games are they have some cool lore and aesthetics.

What's that from? I like it, but I'm wondering why the dude has a face like a zombie horse.

Some Marvel series, but I couldn't say which. If I'm remembering right he was an ayylmao or something that met Thor and the two of them bro'd the fuck out.

Beta-ray Bill.

I thought it looked like Marvel's art style.

Thanks, will look it up.

Look to the sky. There you will see stars. Stars are such small lights in the vast, empty blackness of space, and so far away. Yet they shine. Even though they are such a distance that the mind reels to comprehend, and even when threatened to be swallowed by the dark that consumes the night sky, they shine, their light can reach even here.

Attached: 9e3aee6b62e74f7257eeda302e35aef3--paladin-knight-concept-art.jpg (736x972, 72K)

From what I remember, Beta Ray Bill is basically a super robot built by an alien society, I think to aid in protecting it. At some point he encounters Thor and kicks the shit out of him, then Thor gives him a replica Mjolnir cause he likes him so much, which makes BRB another Thor and even stronger than he was.

Despite popular belief, a paladin is not a slayer of evil. A paladin is a gardener. Those lives a paladin saves are trees, whose roots reach decades deep, and whose branches, ever changing, have yet to grow, but can reach the heavens themselves. To be a paladin is to protect that tree, and all trees like it, whose branches can reach anywhere, and bear any fruit.

Attached: 1508976844112.jpg (590x1140, 157K)

well, he bested thor in hand-to hand combat in a contest where thor didnt have the large majority of his powers. odin was so impressed that he had a knock-off mjolnir forged for him and he and thor were butt-buddies ever after.

>shield with plate armor
>dual wielding
>dual wielding
>shield with plate armor
>shield with plate armor
>unprotected stomach
>shield with plate armor
>shield with plate armor
>plate armor that leaves various vital areas exposed
>shield with plate armor

0/10 would not crusade with

Any halfling paladins? Johnnie Acorn, with his celestial dog, making sure lil' halflings can sleep at night undisturbed by evil and witchery? Defeating the orcish warlord with a single slung stone? Convincing the dragon to give up her avaricious ways and come down to tend a garden with the folk, for true treasure is not within the gleam of gold but it is the happiness of others around you?

>celestial
>not regular
>bark bark

Oath of the Ancients Paladin coming through! Y'all motherfuckers better love nature and beauty or I'm gonna have to give you a lesson in compassion and harmony.

Shields with plate armor isn't always a bad combination, especially if it is a shield and mace combo. The shield is good for blocking hammers and people using the hilts of their swords to bash you through your armor, while a one handed mace is more than enough to kill any soldier, armored or not.

Attached: green_knight_by_taaks-d4izhi3.jpg (800x1000, 218K)

Attached: Solaire.jpg (400x400, 26K)

>implying the plot of SMT is worth two squirts of rat piss
>WORDS WORDS WORDS
>I AM SILLY
>implying Chaotic Good Paladins aren't not only possible, but regular through the Oath of Ancients
How does a comic manage to be quadruple retarded in a single context?

>implying shield with plate armour isn't possible and a practical choice
*blocks your path*

Attached: poleaxe.jpg (190x266, 2K)

>shield with plate armor
>plate armor that leaves various vital areas exposed

You haven't taken into consideration that the wear might be poor, or values comfort/mobility. The shield is there to cover the vulnerable spots you're complaining about.

Your bait is shit. At least complain about enlarged pauldrons on the wrong arm, or excessively spikey armour.

Attached: 1401676881136.jpg (779x1059, 306K)

Men may fall and wither, but the ripples of a good deed may last life times!

Attached: The Rust Knight.jpg (636x900, 102K)

what are some books about straight-up righteous Paladins?

Attached: 1438210655911.jpg (500x732, 68K)

user, Paladins aren't real

Lies. I’ve met a few.

Holy shit that is beautiful.

How do you guys feel about smol tricky paladins?

Attached: Halfling_Outrider_by_John_and_Laura_Lakey.jpg (400x393, 80K)

Is Sam Vimes a paladin?

Attached: 724f3f76538110102a6d4dec9329d3f3.jpg (407x500, 89K)

Behold the tale of Lenny, the Paladin of Freedom who doesn't know his own strength.

>Encounter some possessed guardsmen. Lenny senses their plight and vows not to take their lives, but to cure them.
>Lenny: I aim to knock one out
>DM: Okay, roll for unarmed
>Lenny: Not enough damage. I use my hammer and aim for the temple.
>DM: You want to try and knock a guy out by hitting him in the temple with a warhammer?
>Lenny: Yes.
>DM: .. Alright.
>Lenny blows the guy's head apart
>Moving on to the next guard. Lenny has learned his lesson and breaks the guy's leg and rolls to kick him in the head.
>Nat 20.
>DM declares Lenny kicked the guy's head in.
>We find a pool of holy water later that could have saved them, but the rest of the party is less scrupulous and murdered the possessed.

Next session
>Lenny wants to kidnap a bandit to interrogate them and bring him to justice
>Lures him into an ambush, but hitting an unsuspecting man isn't honorable. So he offers him a chance to surrender.
>Bandit is only 100m from his camp. He yells for help.
>Lawfulstupid.jpg
>Punches bandit in the jaw, shattering it.
>Argues with the DM that he can pull his punches. DM reminds him he's a 7ft tall mountain of a man wearing full plate with 16 STR.
>Party agrees with DM because it's hilarious and Lenny has a history of being an idiot and completely misreading social situations to the point he causes more violence.
>It becomes cannon that Lenny's attempts to save lives ends with him killing more people than the rest of the party

I could see that. Not very religious.

He tends to value tradition though, even traditions from other cultures... but only as long as they uphold the law and protect the weak. Seems like Paladin material to me.

>i aim to knock one out
>okay roll for unarmed
Why? You can always knock people out when you would deal the killing blow with melee weapons according to 5e rules

Well I had my first ever session as a paladin today. And I fucked, fucked on so so many levels guys. I don't know how I'm going to unfuck this.

We were new and told the DM we wanted to run things a bit more realistically and desperate in combat.

Nothing wrong with that i suppose

>“These were dangerous thoughts, he knew. They were the kind that crept up on a Watchman when the chase was over and it was just you and him, facing one another in that breathless little pinch between the crime and the punishment. And maybe a Watchman had seen civilization with the skin ripped off one time too many and stopped acting like a Watchman and started acting like a normal human being and realized that the click of the crossbow or the sweep of the sword would make all the world so clean. And you couldn’t think like that, even about vampires. Even though they’d take the lives of other people because little lives don’t matter and what the hell can we take away from them? And, too, you couldn’t think like that because they gave you a sword and a badge and that turned you into something else and that had to mean there were some thoughts you couldn’t think. Only crimes could take place in darkness. Punishment had to be done in the light. That was the job of a good Watchman, Carrot always said. To light a candle in the dark.”
Yes.

Do me next.

Attached: 1490243770737.jpg (1032x1496, 223K)

Isn't that his dad?

You can be lawful good without being a paladin. Being the chosen of the divine with magical powers isn't a requirement to be a hero.

It's been pretty fun. He asked before we started if we wanted mobs of low CR enemies or smaller battles with tougher enemies. We all picked tougher and asked for more of an emphasis on planning rather than numbers. So it's been a lot of flanking, line holding with tanks, and using spells to cover movement.

>Four inch bayo
>Oversized fighting knife in the way of ammo pouches
>Shield, if eye level, leaves legs exposed
>Face mask prevents good cheek weld and sight picture
>Only eight rounds before *PING* and dropping shield to reload, terrible for suppression

2/10, would not operate with but please develop idea

He DOES get magical powers though, specifically powers derived from following (or at least appreciating) tradition. In 'Thud!' Vimes is able to defeat the ancient demonic evil feared by all Dwarf civilization (the Summoning Dark, primordial evil untold millions of years old) through his own conviction and belief in justice. He thereafter keeps the demon trapped within his own body. He also gains supernatural abilities such as being able to tell if someone will betray him (similar to detect evil?).
Samuel Vimes pretty much ticks all the boxes for Paladinhood. The only thing he doesn't do is worship a deity... he instead follows the shining light of Justice instead. Given how in the Discworld settings "all gods are bastards" is a well known saying, I think he's probably justified in doing it. Pun intended.

Attached: PaladinVimes.jpg (920x1304, 225K)

Paladins are the classic lawfullest bestest, though.

He's by far one of my favorite characters in that setting and I don't disagree with your classification but I feel that some people make the immediate assumption that paladin = good cop and it irks me.

Ultimately you don't need to be a paladin to believe in the good, the justice, law and so on. Paladins can be all that, but they're their own thing.

Attached: wallpaper-413-2.jpg (1920x1200, 1.11M)

Vimes isn't just a 'Good Cop', he's a cop on a spiritual level.
Carrot is also a 'good cop' but I would not consider him a Paladin. Carrot is pure good, and follows the law with rigidity (at least in the first stories), but his 'lawfulness' and 'goodness' is purely mundane.
On the other hand, by the later books Vimes seems to be about 1 step away from ascending to 'The God of Watchmen'. His conviction in Justice is strong enough that he creates his own supernatural entity powerful enough to shackle primordial demons. That's on a completely different level.

Story time with user?

I'd actually consider Carrot more of a paladin. He has unshaking belief into the goodness of all men (and dwarves, and trolls, and so on), inspired people by his bare presence and absolutely abhors underhanded actions that Vimes sometimes does. I mean, he's kind of written as a deconstruction/ parody of a destined boy-king, but after Guards Guards he gets developed way further.

user, what did you do?

Carrot has the qualities of lawful good, but all he wants to be is a cop. His ideals are fully rooted in the mundane and he seems to lack the imagination necessary for much more. I'm not saying he's not a fleshed out character, and he's not an idiot, but there's nothing that distinguishes him from a lawful good fighter.

Vimes is an avatar of justice who constantly battles his inner demons (figuratively and literally) to stop himself from Falling and becoming what he despises the most, and this struggle has granted him powers that grant him the ability to battle injustice and evil that even gods fear.
He's a fucking Paladin.

>>implying Chaotic Good Paladins aren't not only possible, but regular through the Oath of Ancients
lol

Is what he does to Cruces really all that lawful though? Or is this a Justice != Law thing?

I may or may not be alone, unarmed, and surrounded by cultists. And I may or may not be staking my life on my ability to bluff them out and convince them I'm a higher ranking member of the cult.

>Chaotic good
>The "I'm a good person because of all these justifications despite doing shitty things" alignment
(You)

Paladin-esque technoliches animated by a dead machine God fighting off legions of insectoid space necromancers is a pretty strong concept.

Attached: This could have been cool.jpg (1600x900, 304K)

Well Carrot kills Cruces right after he announces plans to overthrow the Lawful Tyrant of Ankh-Morpork and install Carrot as the King, a treasonous plot that is punishable by death. If the plot were to succeed Carrot would have become an absolute monarch with the legal power to order the execution of anyone he wanted. Cruces even provides evidence that Carrot *IS* the rightful king, so technically he already has those powers. So what Carrot did could be seen as a completely lawful shortcut.
Carrot then renounces any claim to the throne so this issue will not happen again, saving Vimes from having to deal with a cop who is legally judge, jury, and executioner.

Attached: foot_knight_02.png (1920x1080, 2.64M)

There's a doctor who quote that fits here, from "A Good Man Goes to War"
>"Good men have too many rules."
>"Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many."
Carrot is a good man through and through. If he thinks that a man should die, he will kill him without hesitation, because he is absolutely sure of his own judgment.
Vimes is the opposite. He knows that there are mean, evil little parts of him, and he knows that his judgment is not always sound because of it. So he sets absolute rules for himself. He will not kill his enemies, because even if he thinks they should die, he might be wrong.
I'd put Carrot down for "Neutral Good" and Vimes for "Lawful Good".

I'd put Vimes LN to be honest. There are mentions in I think the fifth elephant that it took detritus to stop him butchering a child killer and I'm pretty certain there are other instances mentioned.

When the leash slips and the beast gets out, Vimes is Not Good.