What's Veeky Forumss opinion on the Warforged

What's Veeky Forumss opinion on the Warforged.

Attached: Warforged.jpg (640x853, 205K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blogofholding.com/?p=7182
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They're fucking awesome.

Attached: 29c2e84eb3bd1ca3e6db344410219fc9.jpg (500x681, 78K)

I like the idea but I dislike the general design

Depending on the region of the world they are built I can seen Warforged having various shapes and sizes.

Attached: Aegis.jpg (533x819, 58K)

I don't like them, and I'm extremely liberal with player races. They really don't make sense at all outside of Eberron, and even then, feel way too "human" for a race of magictech robots. It'd be better if they were a form of undead, souls inhabiting a mechanical golem.

I'd imagine, but official art always has that goofy cogtooth mouth and goofy two toed feet. I just don't care for it

I really want to play a Warforged Druid.

In Shadow of the Demon Lord the "clockworks" are basically Warforged that are people's souls pulled from the underworld and attached to a mechanical body.

Hard to roleplay properly. I think there are a lot of good hooks in their concept, but hard to make the most of.

I like them but don't like the setting they hail from. I'm a sticker for mechanical LN races like Warforged, Inevitables, and Modrons.

Don't like them.
Robot but in fantasy feels super cheap.

The only good thing to come out of that setting - Mecha tree hitler

Attached: W4iealNVlRI.jpg (847x693, 175K)

>undead, souls inhabiting a mechanical golem.
I also like this

Attached: Screenshot 2018-03-27 at 3.15.53 PM.png (479x509, 368K)

I love them, honestly.

Attached: 1458499508633.jpg (500x1008, 404K)

Exactly, and that's what makes them neat. Medieval AIs with a very shoehorned cyberpunk transhumanist argument attatched to them feels very...odd in D&D.

Attached: IwbkP3e.jpg (957x1199, 140K)

Loved them in Eberron. Loved everything about eberron. In every other setting I've seen them ported to, they feel shoehorned.

Would a warforged druid turn into robot-animals?

Sure why not

Attached: 4416D236-4171-49FC-AE2D-27AD5D5F4C52.jpg (694x694, 152K)

Read about eberon.

Tried, stopped after reading a third of the source book and finding nothing cool.

Eh, different tastes. What do you consider to be a cool setting?

>Party ambushed by goblins after resting.
>Suddenly, "BEARBOTS, ROLL OUT!"
>The party druid, who is a fucking robot, front-flips out of the treeline, mighty morphing into the fucking bearzord mid-leap.
>Lands on one, the rest flee.
>Gives chase on its tiny robot bear legs.

Attached: Warforged Druid.jpg (1332x1000, 118K)

>no mention of ZOIDS yet
It's hard being the only patrician in the village

Attached: 323.jpg (480x360, 159K)

Out of official and primary P&P settings?
Dark Sun, Talislanta, Glorantha perhaps.
It is hard finding a premade setting that is widely good.

seconding this user in that I love the concept of constructs made only for war who now must find their own purpose, but hate their goofy looking design. I think only pic related really does the design any justice

Attached: 1495631276640.jpg (640x960, 117K)

My own spin on the concept are called "Stoneforged" and are made by dwarves.
Their appearance is if you combined dwarf with a brutalist sculpture.
In most dwarven societies that build them, they start off as indentured servants but eventually earn their freedom after they serve their purpose. They tend to blend in pretty well with dwarven society, and most think of themselves as dwarven on the inside.

I need to do this now

you've got some fine tastes user, fine tastes.

I like this design, except for the watermark.
Anyone else got images of decoforged? (pic unrelated)

Attached: Warforged Barbarian.jpg (1280x1024, 290K)

Pretty annoying and dumb. Verging on steampunk imo which should not overlap with fantasy

Steampunk by definition is fantasy. And those nothing steampunk about Warforged considering they're 100% magical. They're just thinking golems.
Also you're cancerous for thinking fantasy needs to be some retarded vaguely medieval pastiche(something it pretty much never was, as the idea that fantasy needed to be pure from any remotely modern elements is a fairly recent convention).

No. Robot men are trying to cross the barrier. I don't care if you say they're magical, it's irrelevant. I could dump radios and factories into a fantasy setting and say they run on magic it's still the same shit.
D&D is distinctly medieval fantasy, that's what I'm here to play. If you want to have your little steampunk fantasy go find a different game

I will. And you won't be invited.

>D&D is distinctly medieval fantasy
user, that is very much isn't and pretty much never was. You're playing the wrong game. There is no feudalism in D&D, knights outside of 1 class and they don't act all that knight like, and everyone uses coined currency and a mercantile system. From the earliest days you had things like Martians roaming the deserts along with desert nomads. Not to mention things like Barrier Peaks. The only medieval D&D setting is Birthright.

>that is very much isn't and pretty much never was
Yeah except for the bit where all the core books list metal armour and no guns. And all the art in said books depicts classic medieval fantasy. But please try to bend reality to your will.

I don't let my players play them anymore because they've gotten the idea stuck in their heads that warforged are badly programmed AI instead of magical constructs.

>Yeah except for the bit where all the core books list metal armour and no guns.
Is people have plate armor, then it's not medieval. Not having fucking guns doesn't make something medieval you retarded cancerous fuckstain with terrible, taste.

Even Gygax him fucking self said the game was intended to potray a wide variety o time periods and cultures, with the art presenting a vaguely European one for ease of use. The books deliberately avoided terminology specific to the medieval European period, and that was never assumed to be the default setting.

I wish Lord of Blades got a little bit more material and lore around him.

>Is people have plate armor, then it's not medieval.
Reality would beg to differ user.

>But please try to bend reality to your will.
>blogofholding.com/?p=7182
There' is nothing "medieval" about a game where a common warrior can rise to the position of a Lord. Art is just fluff and marketing. D&D has a game world falls apart very fucking quickly if you have it operate like an actual medieval society or anything remotely close to it.

Then by your logic there's nothing medieval about a setting with dwarves and dragons you odious turd

>In the history of Europe, the Middle Ages (or Medieval Period) lasted from the 5th to the 15th century. It began with the fall of the Western Roman Empire and merged into the Renaissance and the Age of Discovery

>While there are early predecessors such as the Roman-era lorica segmentata, full plate armour developed in Europe during the Late Middle Ages, especially in the context of the Hundred Years' War, from the coat of plates worn over mail suits during the 13th century.

Imagine having taste this shit.

No, that's not my logic at all you disingenuous Dragonlance baby. Dwarves and Dragons can exist and the world still operate off similar social mores, and don't automatically make something not medieval. Those are the fantasy elements, user. Dwarves and Dragons being present has nothing to do with something being medieval.

How is it not a fantasy element for heroes to rise in status then you utter mongoloid?
Period settings on fantasy are more determined by technology and style than actually social structure.
For example is it no longer a medieval setting if there is a democracy? Medieval Europe was feudal, but the Roman Empire had democracies, so it's not impossible for a medieval world to have continued the tradition. If my Roman setting instead was feudal is it now a medieval setting? Fucking no.

It's a fantasy element. It's not a Medieval fantasy element, as the idea of becoming something from nothing is very much NOT a medieval idea. Especially when you do it all by yourself without the aid of a king/lord giving you shit.
>For example is it no longer a medieval setting if there is a democracy?
Depends on the rest of the setting, but yes. But if you're setting was based on the greco-roman period, then it wouldn't be what most people would refer to medieval. No. Which you actually say yourself.
>Period settings on fantasy are more determined by technology and style than actually social structure.
Good thing D&D isn't period fantasy, you tard.

>if you're setting was based on the greco-roman period, then it wouldn't be what most people would refer to medieval. No. Which you actually say yourself.
No I didn't say that. I said Rome predates the Middle Ages and had democracy, to establish that democracy was not invented after the Middle Ages (like steampunk favourites of clockwork and gunpowder). Just because there's democracy in a setting doesn't change what era the setting is based on, settings are determined by the technology and look.
Which is why I pointed out that a Roman era setting with a feudal system doesn't magically become medieval, it is still completely Roman.

Literally the only thing you're basing your argument on is peasants couldn't become lords in the Middle Ages therefore any setting where that happens isn't medieval, that's fucking retarded.

Referring to the time period point again, say I made a modern setting. Everything is modern, smart phones, flat screen TVs, advanced weapons technology BUT there's a feudal system in place. Do you think that setting is a medieval setting, yes or no?

I don't like them. Neither them nor dragonborn are allowed in any game I run.

So... how do you feel about Golems?

>Literally the only thing you're basing your argument on is peasants couldn't become lords in the Middle Ages therefore any setting where that happens isn't medieval, that's fucking retarded.
No, see my above posts you fucking retard.
> Everything is modern, smart phones, flat screen TVs, advanced weapons technology BUT there's a feudal system in place.
No, just like 40k isn't medieval either. That doesn't make it modern though. Or period fantasy. Like you're arguing It's especially not true when there are several other things that apply to D&D that isn't true for the medieval period.
>people as a whole are fairly educated, in that everyone can read
>people travel a lot
>there is coinage
>there are people casually owning and selling weapons
The issue isn't just the technology it's the society and overall thematic of the setting that disqualify from being medieval. D&D played like a medieval setting would actually be very unpleasant to play in because so many of the factors that many adventures hinge on are at odds with medieval society.
He's probably going to blow a gasket at scrying orbs or wizards talking to each other with crystal ball.s He's also retarded for thinking there's a meaningful distinction between fantasy and what we would refer to non speculative science fiction that isn't more or less completely arbitrary.

Fuck, the last half of this post
Was meant for you.

Same. My players can only play characters I enjoy, which is why they're all anime waifus.

but doesn't answer my question at all

>He's probably going to blow a gasket at scrying orbs or wizards talking to each other with crystal ball.s He's also retarded for thinking there's a meaningful distinction between fantasy and what we would refer to non speculative science fiction that isn't more or less completely arbitrary.
It's making a similar point. Golems are analogous to robots, just like wizards talking to each other through crying pools Crystal balls is analogous to telephones.

I'm done with you being a complete tard. You've already debunked your own assertion that society defines a setting. D&D is a medieval fantasy setting, that means it doesn't have I have fucking realistic social structure you utter fucking sperg. Just because it isn't identical to medieval culture does not negate the fact it is still a medieval setting. The vastly more important aspects are the technology and look of the settingas you well understand. It is based on medieval Europe, it is a medieval setting. No amount of
>b-but muh feudalism! Not REAL medieval!
is gong to change that.

>he vastly more important aspects are the technology and look of the settingas you well understand. It is based on medieval Europe,
It's not. It's incredibly loosely based on Late Renaissance Europe and even the first D&D explicitly goes out of it's way to not make any cultural assumptions about what the societies in the game look like outside of the art. Unless you want to point me to the zigguruts in Europe are, you're just another fucking wannabe gorgtard who insists on D&D being medievalwhen it never fucking was.

>The issue isn't just the technology it's the society and overall thematic of the setting that disqualify from being medieval.
>You've already debunked your own assertion
Kill yourself, you fucking retard faggot. I hope your players leave you for forcing your shit, pathetic, and mix matched taste on them you fucking sperglord.

>getting this mad over being wrong
Perhaps you're not as secure in your convictions as you'd have us believe.

so how bout them warforged

I like them. They were a great implementation of giving players who went through the monster manual and thought the various golems and constructs looked cool as shit a way to play one of them in a non gamebreaking way.

Which Eberron did a fair amount of- shifters and changelings were PC downgraded werebeasts and doppelgangers, which I figure were also popular nonstandard race requests.

I never 'got' Kalashtar.

That's a 4th edition picture of a warforged warden, isn't it?

Don't feel like they belong in a fantasy world

>D&D is distinctly medieval fantasy.
...You do remember that classic D&D adventure modules include both two modules featuring crashed spaceships and one in which your party has to stop a wizard's *giant battle mecha* that's run amuck?

Golems imbued with life and sapience don't belong in a world filled with living gods, demons, dragons, trolls and a thousand other more fantastical things?

I swear there must be some kind of cognitive deficiency that makes people think Warforged are robots and not sapient golems. They're more related to fucking clay and flesh golems than they do HK 47 or Johnny 5. They don't even have clockwork or anything that might be confused for being technology.

Not vaguely Tolkein, not interested.

Tolkien is the most limited and shitty fantasy. There is a thousand other better fantasy authors that actually inspired D&D than the shitty travel books written by a linguist to show off his conlangs.

Writing an extensive fantasy series just to give a context to languages you made up is an utterly alien thought process to me and I'm vaguely frightened of the mind responsible for it. And there was no reason for those stories to turn out to be pretty decent, either, but they did. Absolutely would not use them as a golden standard for fantasy roleplaying games, though.

I like them enough that I ripped them off for my own Final Fantasy and Phantasy Star inspired setting.

Keep them in Eberron/Homebrew settings. There's nothing wrong with them, but giving them a sensible place in the world is important.