We weren't all great roleplayers right off the bat...

We weren't all great roleplayers right off the bat. Tell us about when you realized the error of your ways and stopped being That Guy.

Attached: thatguy.jpg (600x600, 49K)

>implying I've stopped

I have that shirt.

I stopped when I GMed my first game.

>Be me
>Start RPing online back when I was like 14
>Everyone's characters are retarded deviantart-tier Mary Sue furries with rainbow hair and time-space powers and super special ninja-god blood ect. ect.
>Stop roleplaying for the next 6 years
>Get talked into trying it again with some college buddies
>End up being pretty good at it just because I have an idea of what kind of cringe to avoid from years ago.
>Become That Guy a couple of years later when I get bored of D20 games and try to convince my group to play anything else

Attached: special snowflakes.jpg (680x383, 73K)

OP here, figured I should contribute too:

I stopped being That Guy when I tried my shitty homebrew and found out that it was, in fact, stupid and unplayable.

Homebrew is a special kind of hell. It's one of those things where 99% pof the people who make homebrew are shit, but 100% of them think they're the 1% who's not.

Attached: Your homebrew is shit.png (1045x326, 27K)

I've been playing off and on since I was a child, and must have been insufferable for most of it.

I think a big turnaround in my roleplaying was when I realised that my character didn't have to be the biggest badass in the room at all times. I started complimenting the other characters IC sometimes, and trying to set them up for their moments. Jesus Christ, that helped the games flow better.

I came to the realisation while watching critical role

Speak for yourself.

I did. See:

Pretty much exactly this. Except the bad forum roleplaying happened when I was about 18 because I got the internet around then.

When I stopped listening to Veeky Forums.

Speak for yourself means: "don't make presumptions about other people"
in this context the implication is that I was never a "that guy"
the idea is that you can only claim you yourself as having this bad trait and shouldn't use "we"

Realized that after I hit "post", my bad.
Isn't making sweeping statements about everyone kind of standard on Veeky Forums, though?

Nitpicking semantics: "We weren't all great roleplayers" is probably the best way to phrase my message when considering your point, still

You are being that guy right now

fpbp

I made a jewish warlock who drowned children in to wells and drank blood because that is what jews do for power. The setting supported all conspiracies are true style character building and taking Blood Libel as face value seemed legit enough.

Of course it the whole thing revealed itself to be obnoxiously edgy in about five minutes and in retrospect I wondered why anyone even let it happen.

When I used Sine Requie for a political comedy campaign.

There's a huge gap between being new and/or bad and being That Guy, user.

>We weren't all great roleplayers right off the bat.
Hate to break it to you OP, but some people never become good roleplayers even if they do stop being That Guy.

Does it count if the DM indulged me at every point?

Shortly, because it didn’t take too long to realize that angst or chaos are very easily shallow. Within my groups now, I tend to be the swiss army caster, but I am trying to branch out into unplayed roles and alignments to keep things fresh and get me thinking more about character motivations.

And here I thought the flowchart was
"Are you making something original? If you aren't, it's shit. If you are, you just haven't done the research properly to find it, so it's not, ergo it's shit".
If Veeky Forums taught me anything in my short span of time here it's "never homebrew anything ever, leave it up to professionals you uncreative piece of shit"

I don't think I've ever been that guy. Never really did the powergamer thing, didn't fall for the edgy loner or chaotic neutral memes, and I've never really been in a serious argument with a GM.

The worst I've really done is go a little heavy on the OoC jokes that take people out of the game and break the flow for laugh breaks, but I've long since toned that down.

I've begun GMing my own games now, but I still challenge my GM when I'm a player on every possible occasion just to fuck with him (and he does the same to us).

Stealing this

Attached: AH approves.png (500x514, 269K)

I wasn't That Guy because we were That Group.
This was back in '98, AD&D 2E. We were three teenager rejects who started playing with a couple older kids. The first campaign was kinda OK, a bit too many zany antics and very derivative characters but nothing too bad.
Then we started DM'ing.
An evil campaign, DMing at turn for the three of us. It was more of the lolrandom sort than the edgy sort, but still.
Then one day...
>talk about D&D with a kid in my class
>he wants to play, is a fucking munchkin
>put him in a rock falls dungeon
>gets pissy, challenges me as the better DM (note, he never played)
>Tell him that I'm game with my pals, we're going to bring our characters from home
>start powerleveling the characters in home games by doing extra stupid shit
>Like, the assassins' guild chief needs toilet paper, get 10000 gold and XP for bringing it to him
I'm still not sure why we went through that instead of just raising our stats, probably it felt too much like cheating
>meet new DM in a store with our leveled-up characters
>his "adventure" is just a straight rip-off of the first dungeon in baldur's gate
>enter combat
>combat takes forever because he's got no idea what he's doing
>it's so boring that we start taking turns, one of us stays at the table, the other two go in the back and play HoMM3 on the store's PC
>When it's my turn I keep bulshitting the DM on non-existent rules on called shots and rewards
>give up when it's time to go home, never play again

Since then I've become a decent GM, cursed to never be able to play. I think I deserve it after all the shit I put in games as a kid.

Dude, everybody's first game was shit. The important thing is to learn and stop being shit.

just like sex

>playing medieval fantasy
>group includes That Autist armchair historian
>show the group the pic I'm using for my character
>That Autist immediately starts scoffing at it
>ask him what's wrong
>That Autist: "Scoff, he has a katana, scoff scoff scoff"
>lean forwards, cupping my chin
>That Autist is still scoffing away
>smile and close my eyes
>savour the moment, and then start to speak:
>"It's actually a Swiss sabre."
>That Autist blinks
>mumbles something
>I say "I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch that."
>That Autist, reluctantly speaking up: "I said I haven't heard of those before..."
>I smile smugly
>"That's OK, it's pretty obscure. It's a real historical weapon though. Look it up sometime"
>That Autist grunts and decides to suddenly become intensely interested in his character sheet
>Spaghetti all over the floor
>whole group sharing vicariously in my smugness
>It actually was a katana all along ( ͡ᴼ ͜͜͜͜˓ ͡ᴼ )

Since then I've stopped being That Guy who taunts That Autist, but it was fun while it lasted.

>It actually was a katana all along ( ͡ᴼ ͜͜͜͜˓ ͡ᴼ )

Attached: 1520059461127.jpg (253x255, 7K)

>History nerd
>Not knowing what a Swiss saber is
>Not able to tell the difference between a katana and any European sword based on the tsuba/guard alone
I'm calling bullshit on this one. That or this guy was seriously retarded

I made a not!dante human ranger in 4e that was both a skill monkey and also dual wielded Bastard swords. I fucked with the paladin a bunch by telling everyone we were both paladins of his order. I also only followed the group when i wanted and went on at least 2 separate excursions by myself because "that's what my character would do." I realized what i did was wrong after the session was done when i noticed that my rebellion had made the entire party less inclined to work together, which in turn made the entire thing last way too long and was generally Unfun.

I play paladins now.

user said "armchair historian" not "History nerd"

I discovered that I was not actually that guy when after 3 years of being the center of conflict and game-derailment of my first group, I joined a new group. Instead of finding myself being "that guy", I got along with the other players, everyone gave each other room to talk without interruption, the game flowed smoothly, there were no arguments, and despite being pretty quiet and not saying very much, I found that I actually was able to say more than I ever could with my first group. And I actually felt immersed in the world and the roleplay, and I really, really enjoyed it. The most "that guy" player we had wasn't really that bad and he was actually pretty decent at roleplay. I didn't realize games were supposed to be this much fun.

Are you me user? Because our stories are very similar.

>kept trying to get out of every situation the dm set up because I thought that is what my character would do
>got lucky on a few rolls and ended up sneaking away from the party and convincing the city watch to quell the rebellion
>everyone got mad at me and my character for weeks, except one guy who thought it was hilarious

Early 20s. It coincided with a general shift in my personality that equated to me being less awful all around.

just from this fucking post I can tell that you are That Guy

>comment on autism
>autism blinds me
I shall remove myself

>needing experience to not be That Guy
>being bad at roleplaying is That Guy

Seriously, have we just turned the definition of That Guy in to anything but the perfect player who can voice act, roleplay, optimize characters, know all the rules, all the while being Jesus personality?

We have the huge issue with animals because there are too many people who grew up on a farm on the table. Every time there is an encounter with animals people start riffing and talking about how real animals don't act like that.

It has gotten better now as DM just makes wild animals run away outside of extraordinary situations and has finally replaced wolves and bears with actually dangerous animals like geese and dogs.

your DM should use more Dire beasts

Considering the power level it wouldn't be a smart idea. Beating a bear would be next to impossible without massive preparation.

Theres a homebrew general constantly and theres a library of custom Veeky Forums shit. Lurk moar my friend, its not all shit.

Attached: 1519791496145.jpg (777x704, 42K)