rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
Stable releases - get.5e.tools/

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously on /5eg/:

Favorite feature and why?

Attached: c001319435a6cdbca2b4df78ed8fecd0--striders-wolf-spirit.jpg (708x960, 110K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_lance
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

We talking Background Features? Noble is pretty excellent. "No, the NPCs have to take my character seriously, it's written on my sheet."

Follow up question, when do you expect NPCs to take the PCs seriously? Level 1 characters tend to get treated like nobodies, which is a weird attitude when you consider what a level 1 character can do in context.

Th Sailor background feature is pretty great, both for the party and for GM's. The party gains access to a new mode of travel and the GM gets to use new encounters like pirates, sea creatures, etc..

Fun all around.

r8 my metamagic options:

>NEW
Altered Spell: When you cast a spell that deals acid, cold, fire, poison, lightning, or thunder damage you can spend 2 sorcery points to change the damage type into a different damage type from the list by altering the subtle magics which weave the spell into existence.

Doubled Spell: When you cast a spell as an action you can cast a second spell as a bonus action by spending sorcery points equal to the levels of the two spells combined. Cantrips cost 1 sorcery point each.

Piercing Spell: When you cast a spell that deals damage you can spend 3 sorcery points to cause it to only target a single creature, if that creature is not resistant or immune to the spell's damage type it becomes vulnerable to the spell's damage type for the rest of the turn.

>CHANGED
Careful Spell: When you cast a spell that forces other creatures to make a saving throw, you can protect some of those creatures from the spell's full force. To do so, you spend 2 sorcery points and choose a number of those creatures up to your Charisma modifier (minimum of one creature). A chosen creature takes half damage if it fails the save and no damage if it succeeds on its saving throw against the spell.

Level 1 characters are blown out of the water by actual npc mages and knights. It is fine if they are viewed as riff-raff.

As a side note, one of these days I am going to convince my players to do training to level. The wizard shouldn't figure out how to fireball halfway through the dungeon crawl. Toss in a little bit more gold to cover the training/living expenses this will mean, and everything should be fine.

I'm going to say that Urban Bounty Hunter from SCAG is one of the really fun background features. Something about a guild of bounty hunters helping each other out in every city seems like good pulpy fun.

Attached: training.jpg (1280x720, 40K)

>bounty hunters

Attached: Bounty Hunter Archetype.pdf (PDF, 1.65M)

What are some a-typical for their archetype characters you have encountered in games/thought of playing?

I will start - the newest campaign I am part of has a power-hungry noble who uses druid powers as a powertrip since he already controls people through his birth, but he refuses to acknowledge the bounds of civilization as the bonds of his power. I actually am curious to see where it goes.

Attached: 735206d7c2838541e62700f713184412.jpg (564x1094, 33K)

>my players never take the hint and try to push the enemies down
That's why you make Dark messiah of Might and Magic required material for the players. That game opened my third eye in terms of environmental combat

Attached: brd and blm.gif (317x221, 2.43M)

Our group is considering using a very slow leveling rate and requiring to train for a week or two to get the level up. We think it would help to give the feeling of a slow rise from nobodies to heroes.
The previous campaign ran from 5 to 20 and it felt like we barely had time to get used to our features before we already got some new ones.

Has anyone ever used Beyond Damage Dice? Did it play well? Did people actually remember how the weapons worked?

I'm looking through it, and I am thinking this should be a PC only kind of thing. Too many mechanics for an orc, methinks.

Attached: beyond damage dice.pdf (PDF, 3.65M)

Do you use marking rules? Does anyone give a shit about marking?

It's meant to be a PC thing.

This would work in a featless game but a lot of these are just feat features but better.

To me it seemed like one of the things I'd like to put out there, together with other books such as Extended Equipment and books that add a shitton more spells.
All this in the idea that yes, there probably still is an optimal way to play, but it's extremely unlikely you'll find it, or that there aren't more alternative ways that are very comparable.
5e might be too streamlined in the sense that people have figured out what's strong and that's the end of it. I think it'd add a lot for certain players.

On the other hand most of it seems like things everyone should be able to do, not just the players that have literally spent hours perusing dusty pdfs

For anyone rummaging through the archive (I've done it a couple times), it seems that we a migrating from a different thread than OP posted.

Attached: 05a.jpg (758x429, 27K)

>Altered
make it 1 SP
>Piercing
this would be the very powerful with single target spells, like disintegrate. maybe limit which spells you can use it with?
>dubs
basically a fixed quickend I guess
>careful
Terrible, you increased the SP cost and it’s as useless as it was before.
It’s not worth it at all if you can’t guarantee your friends are safe from the spell. have a look at what the evocation wizard gets, he doesn’t need to spend SP on his superior ability.

Oh yeah I forgot Quickened, I dropped it to 1 Sorc point.

I was thinking of making Piercing cost points equal to the level of the spell.

>have a look at what evocation gets

It's just evocation Wizard's effect for 2 sorc points and tied to Cha instead of spell level.

Attached: Capture.png (795x229, 29K)

Who is better at swording? HexSorc or HexBard?

except evocation wizard says they take no damage even if they would normally take half. Sorc doesn't get that.

>Cancer multiclassing

Wizards of the Coast, not Sorcerers who can Boast

sorcerers eat some toast

version two

>NEW
**Altered Spell:** When you cast a spell that deals acid, cold, fire, poison, lightning, or thunder damage you can spend 2 sorcery points to change the damage type into a different damage type from the list by altering the subtle magics which weave the spell into existence. You can use Altered Spell with other metamagics.

**Doubled Spell:** When you cast a spell as an action you can cast a second spell as a bonus action by spending sorcery points equal to the levels of the two spells combined. Cantrips cost 1 sorcery point each.

**Piercing Spell:** When you cast a spell that deals damage you can spend 3 sorcery points to cause it to only target a single creature, if that creature is not resistant or immune to the spell's damage type it becomes vulnerable to the spell's damage type for the rest of the turn.

>CHANGED
**Careful Spell:** When you cast a spell that forces other creatures to make a saving throw, you can protect some of those creatures from the spell's full force. To do so, you spend 2 sorcery points and choose a number of those creatures up to your Charisma modifier (minimum of one creature). The chosen creatures automatically succeed on their saving throws against the spell, and they take no damage if they would normally take half damage on a successful save.

**Heightened Spell:** When you cast a spell that forces a creature to make a saving throw to resist its effects, you can spend 1 sorcery point per creature affected, up to your Charisma modifier (minimum 1) and give them disadvantage on their first saving throw made against the spell.

**Quickened Spell:** When you cast a spell that has a casting time of 1 action, you can spend 1 sorcery point to change the casting time to 1 bonus action for this casting.

I don't wanna make Altered cost 1 because lightning fireballs are pretty strong, and careful being auto save should be 2 I think, so that you can't just ignore positioning in fights forever.

Attached: c6aeb52219fc7a15fedf41d0a7e6b206.jpg (680x850, 65K)

Am I safe from the gunfags ITT? I know D&D typically doesn’t have guns

Sorry piercing should be this

Piercing Spell: When you cast a spell that deals damage you can spend sorcery points equal to the spell's level to cause it to only target a single creature. If that creature is not resistant or immune to the spell's damage type it becomes vulnerable to the spell's damage type for the rest of the turn.

The DMG has guns for late medieval, early 20th century, and futuristic firearms.

Attached: 1379381945150.jpg (1000x521, 91K)

Attached: Absolutely disgusting.gif (500x282, 350K)

Attached: read.jpg (500x572, 320K)

>and careful being auto save should be 2 I think, so that you can't just ignore positioning in fights forever.
That’s cool and all, but at that point I’d just give up on it and pick a different metamagic option, because you only get a precious few.
And again, evo wiz can do it for free.
I guess the only true sorcerer buff is nerfing wizards.

Evocation wizards are complete trash aside from that ability so I think it's fine.

This is a solid point. The pricing should also take into account the fact that you've used one of your very limited metamagic options on it already.

If sorcerers had access to all of the metamagic at all times, then go for it, but considering they only get like three or four really, they need to give a concrete reward

Calling any kind of wizard trash is like calling an ingot of platinum trash because it has a fingerprint smudge on it. Even the worst wizard is still a wizard, and thus one of the best characters in the game.

What about this change?

Sure, but the rest of Evo's features are pretty shit. Letting them have something is fine.

Attached: Capture.png (345x125, 59K)

You missed the “typically”. I knew there’s DM tools for guns

Artificer gets a rifle called a Thunder cannon that combines technology and magic to shoot things, and you can magically enhance your shots at later levels. It's UA content though so I guess you don't have to use it?

I think sorcs would be great if stuff costed less metamagic points or they had more.

So we all agree that Ancients is the best Paladin Oath, followed by Vengeance and then the others, with Redemption being dead last?

Then what the fuck were you asking about?

I don't quite understand the concept of the planes of existence.
Are they other planets?
Other dimensions?
Neither?

Are there x number of planets in each plane and then y number of planes in a universe?

> I guess the only true sorcerer buff is nerfing wizards.
Rewrite wild magic surges to be 100% positive results and let the sorc go buck wild, if that's your pleasure.

Attached: 1532956849382.jpg (2000x1000, 101K)

I want to create a class that has visions of the future.
How do I make those visions work?

Attached: 087086BE-AA66-42FA-B871-5B436D19A62C.gif (322x322, 1.95M)

Would you accept a jiangshi that somehow regained his soul/counsciousness as a playable "race"?

Attached: 22ca705ea43cb99ecbc24ac445ba0ac6.jpg (700x875, 107K)

More like dimensions than planets, a plane can encompass a vast area of millions of planets or just an area the size of a small cupboard. Yes, they are all in the same universe.

They need more. It's ridiculous that two of their mechanics that are supposed to set them apart and make up for the rest of the ways they get shafted run off the same extremely limited resource. They need at least 50% more points at every level.

Do you guys ever care about how your character dresses?

Attached: dsa___npc_die_totenkraehe_by_neferu-d8c0rzt.jpg (750x1064, 80K)

Mortal planes are planets. Exotic places like the elemental planes and The Abyss are planes and are infinite

No way to do that without extreme railroading or being a clairvoyant yourself.
And divination wizard already has that shtick.

Give it an ability that allows it to roll a couple of d20s at the start of each day and substitute them for rolls that happen later on. Also make it a Wizard subclass and call it Diviner.

Divination Wizard

Plate armor covered in spikes and graffiti

Attached: 6DE913D6-B00F-49A0-B9CF-468CD1AB833D.png (284x508, 317K)

The Outer Planes do not have planets. They are simply big (infinite) landmasses. Some of them, like the Abyss, have layers, landmasses stacked on top of one another with some connecting tissue and some of them are just a single endless surface. The Astral plane reaches all of them.

So there aren't seperate universes in which all of those planes exist as well but they are slightly different from other universes?
Like on TAZ where they hop from universe to universe and each of them has its own planes?

Also, are planets ever relevant in actual gameplay?

Reminder the Illithid master race conquered numerous mortal worlds using space ships

>t. wizard

Why can't there be more universes? With their own planes of course, with their own planets. Whether any of it is relevant in actual gameplay depends on your DM.

My wizard.

Attached: fd8867331b8b75332857662f9a12d39c.jpg (736x1293, 217K)

My DM just mentioned in passing that guns have started to appear in the setting.

My character background involves growing up fighting (as a pirate) in a war that ended less than a year ago. I'm going to ask if it is just massive bombards, or if pistols have shown up. You bet your ass that I'm going to ask that I be proficient in pistols if they are there.

Attached: RTFM Darkest DMG.png (705x272, 248K)

Very fancy

Spelljammer has fantasy spaceships.

They're not completely separate universes, just part of a whole. The Plane of Shadow (Shadowfell) has been considered as a way to go from one Material Plane to another. Ultimately every setting has ts own cosmology which can lead to different planes and different arrangements.

Mechanus is a massive space filled with planet sized to thimble sized gears upon which lawful civilizations and creches turn.

The Astral is a void occasionally filled with ruins or the bodies of dead gods.

The Feywild and Shadowfell are echoes or shadows in the superficial image of the material world...so I guess those planes technically have planets.

The elemental planes are just their element. Sky, Sea, Earth, or Flame.

The Nine Hells are connected through by the Styx

And the abyss...is infinite.

Anyone have tips for running a Necro Wizard without stuffing the game up? I think I'd have pre-printed out stat blocks on index cards for whatever abomination I create and try to have all of their actions ready before my turn comes up, but is there anything else to save my DM and group the headache of throwing in like 4+ NPCs that I control?

>guns have started to appear in the setting
Go for the far superior option
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_lance

Attached: 800px-Fire_Lance_Knight[1].jpg (800x608, 99K)

>Favorite feature and why?

Thiefs ability to use object as a bonus action so you can give people grenades and shit.

Talk to your DM about turning them into one bigger, beefier monster.

Most of the worlds of D&D exist as planets in the prime material plane. Each planet is part of a planetary system orbiting inside a giant crystal sphere. Each of the crystal spheres is enmeshed in an ocean of a substance called phlogiston, which seperates the spheres from each other. See Spelljammer for more details.

The prime material is an infinite plane of existence that exists between the inner planes and the outer planes, which are also infinite (but don't contain planets, just an endless landscape of whatever that plane is composed of). They are connected by the ethereal plane (between the elemental and prime material) and astral plane (between the outer and prime material). This is all covered in Planescape books.

4e also added the Feywild and the Shadowfell, which are alternate dimensions of the prime material, representing life and death respectively.

There are also a bunch of demi-planes which are just little planes, like the Demiplane of Dread from Ravenloft.

Attached: planescape.jpg (2365x2850, 5.29M)

Just stick to humanoid skeletons and zombies. Keep an eye on them so they don't go feral. Ditch/destroy them before going into town.

Talk to your DM about making anything bigger than that.

So like a 'Swarm of Skellies' with added HP and multiattack?

And my bard.

Attached: f9d06ed30687f5e03933716370fb3d87.jpg (451x750, 68K)

And I already have animal handling. Just need to get a warhorse.

Attached: thumbs-up-matt-leblanc.gif (600x300, 766K)

and my axe

That or just a stronger single one that takes x spooks to make and x more to upgrade. Again all of this you'll have to talk about with your DM.

isn't that just a fire emblem character?

Evocation , Alchemist , Conjuration wizards are meh at best
Illusion is only viable if you got a nuker in your group already to kill anything that goes past the tank
Diviner effect can be achieved with a feat and it is not that rng proof if you dont specifically build to make rerolls all the time
War magic is relegated to eldritch knights due to how shit the feats are after level 2
Necromancy and Abjuration are the only metal solid mage traditions

While all sorc Origins are goat

For normal travels from town to town not really, when dealing with matters of diplomacy for back home then yes.

Attached: 1521860251977.jpg (640x901, 133K)

>effect can be achieved with a feat
How?

>Necromancy
>Solid

Next time you have no idea what you're talking about, just say so. It would also help if you start all your posts with a disclaimer about your mental disabilities.

Attached: kek.png (650x581, 284K)

Just get lucky and be a diviner lite wiz

Create Undead gets you ghouls, and is a 6th level spell. Anything more powerful than that should be above 6th level, or just 6th level if it only gives you one.

>Necromancer is shit
Fight me right now nigger

feats are an optional rule

So is point buy.

How does this look for the spellbook of an Abjuration Wizard starting at level 7? I've never played Wizard before
>1st Level:
Comprehend Languages
Detect Magic
Find Familiar
Mage Armor
Shield
>2nd Level:
Levitate
Mirror Image
Misty Step
Suggestion
>3rd Level:
Counterspell
Fear
Fireball
Leomund's Tiny Hut
Major Image
Sleet Storm
>4th Level:
Greater Invisibility
Polymorph
Watery Sphere

Attached: 1487020652699.png (837x719, 613K)

Seems pretty defensive, but still good. Switch out watery sphere for Magic Missile.
Ask for the Hat of Wizardry from XGE, unless your DM lets you get a +1 wand or something.

First time spellcaster, more precisely, wizard

How do I learn spells outside of level ups?
Books?
If I ask to search for a library whenever I stop in a town my DM just think im doing flavor stuff instead of searching for spells

Find spell scrolls or other wizards spell books, no libraries generally won't have this stuff.

Also forgot

Attached: 1508032033657.png (700x483, 557K)

So I gotta brutalize other wizards to get their books and scrolls?

Gotta catch 'em all!
Watch out using fireball or other fire spells. Your DM might say that their books caught fire.

Attached: jojo2.jpg (540x304, 29K)

I am not searching the local town library mind you
The libraries I speak are usually of wealthy faggots or people associated with magic

So what does a ghast actually smell like?

>Seems pretty defensive
I mean, that kid of is the point of Abjuration is it not? Also thanks for the advice, looking at Watery Sphere again made me realize how action-hungry it is. I'm sure upcasting Magic Missile will be more useful.

Attached: 1487382740401.jpg (500x335, 130K)

You'll occasionally find enemy spellbooks and spell scrolls among treasure, that will cost you time and money to transcribe.

You may meet and befriend another Wizard NPC who you may fall into a habit of swapping spells with on occasion whilst also discussing Arcane Theorims whilst smoking pipe weed and enjoying a fine brandy if you are both well off enough.

Mayhaps you will spend downtime researching and developing a spell independently to add to your spellbook.

Or, you will seek out guilds of wizards or schools that may allow some access.

Work with your DM on this and you'll probably have to do some RP to get what you seek.

The wizard life is a dog eat dog world huh

Ghastly.

Does it take damage from healing, like undead ought to?

How are magic items and potions made?
Kind of dumb you have all these items in the DMG but no clue how they fit into the world other than GM fiat.
I want something like the DCC where it tells you the minimum caster level to make something and how many casters who can make the item are expected in a given time period. Even better when making magic items is an explicit spell.