/btg/ BattleTech General

---------------------------------
And I shall name him, Lucky the Atlas Leprechaun! edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: ==================================

BattleTech video-game Beta gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=rt6FatHHnzI

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megamek.info/
github.com/MegaMek

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing? (old)
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

2017-03-03 – (Against the Bot)
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
Current 3.21 rule set is included in the mekhq package

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2018-03-22 - Still getting worked on & now has 35401 pics! Any help with tagging appreciated!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord servers, etc.) Last updated 2018-02-28!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

Attached: 90414f6195026a1e6b577ebc5303c815593968a4.jpg (360x480, 48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/238471201633206272/425685873305321472/Protomech_Designer_v0.9.jar
youtube.com/watch?v=wxWgsqSf74s
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=100&v=Jxqmd_tE2WI
sarna.net/wiki/Battle_of_Tukayyid
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

NEED SUBMISSIONS BY APRIL 1

>Official /btg/RO design challenge:

We are looking for Glider Protomech designs for Clan Snow Raven. Designs must meet the following criteria:
>12 tons
>Must have at least 7/11 Glider MP

Designs with tech not currently used on canon protomechs are encouraged. Similarly, attempt to limit it to the base design and 0-1 variants unless you have a really good reason.

Submission requirements:
>Must be submitted in .txt file format with all construction data filled out (see pic for example). Megamek or record sheet files are appreciated, but are not required.
>Must have at least rudimentary fluff (state it's for, what it does)
>Must have your name included in the files supplied for the design
>Must have a description of how you want it to look. It can be as vauge as "small and blocky" or as detailed as "here's three examples of canon designs I'm taking from and a sketch of the end result"
>Ideally, give us a zipped folder with the format "Mechname_Tonnage(Creator name)" and all of the above inside

Submit your designs to the /btg/RO Email listed on the Built for War blog.

A convenient list tech not used on protos that can be legally mounted:
>Angel ECM
>Improved Heavy Medium Laser
>Ultra ACs
>Protomech AC 4 & 8
>LBX-5
>AMS
>NARC
>(non-quad) Protomech Melee System
>MG array
>Torpedoes
>UMUs
>ER, Heavy, and Vehicle Flamers
>Watchdog CEWS
>Vehicular Grenade Launcher
>ER Pulse Laser
>Streak LRMs
>Recon Camera
>Remote Sensor Disperser
>Re Lasers
>TSEMP
>RISC Repeating TSEMP
>RISC Viral Jammers

>Protomech designer:
cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/238471201633206272/425685873305321472/Protomech_Designer_v0.9.jar
For anyone trying to make protos for the design contest, here's the thing I've been using. It has a number of bugs and errors, like the inability to remove weapons after placing them and most weapons requiring the wrong number of heat sinks. It works at the basic level, though.

Attached: Proto Format.png (757x562, 56K)

The Cats aren't royally screwed by the FWL, in fact they've gotten a way sweeter deal than they could reasonably have expected.

The fuck is this?

Granted, this is because of a three-for-three on the usual "the FWL Successor states/FWL can't even backstab people right". Although only two of those were attempted backstabs of them. The GMILF improperly backstabbing her firstborn daughter is what got them a competent local political consultant to avoid the usual political derp minefield Cats usually die in.

vidogam/megamek only fag here, are there any good painting guides/tutorials around here? looking for ~3050 IS and clams

Start with generic miniature painting techniques before asking for specifics here

i mean like paint schemes, etc. im a brainlet and cant find any in the links in the OP

>any good painting guides/tutorials

Heed the words of /WIP/'s () blessed Saint Duncan.

youtube.com/watch?v=wxWgsqSf74s

Attached: saint_duncan.jpg (1000x664, 218K)

>i mean like paint schemes

D'oh! What I have predates Clan Invasion.

Attached: BattleTech 1632 - Camo Specs.pdf (PDF, 2.01M)

Why are we calling Jessica Marik (had to look her up) GMILF?

Why is Julietta, who Sarna doesn't have an article about, facing off against her mom apparently?

>A Trial of Annihilation against the Spirit Cats was announced by Mystic Kisho in December of 3136 after a number of mystics were murdered. Immediately thereafter, the Nova Cats attacked the Spirit Cats on Addicks.

The Nova Cucks deserved to die lmao

Camospecs has schemes for most units, not sure if there's a way to restrict by era but most units retained their pattern throughout the years. Notably it's all parade schemes, most units repaint in camo when deployed.

Why 12 tons?

instead of realism trolling or peripheREEEEE you guys should post your mechs and shit. i wanna see your color schemes/minis and also the factions /btg/ brings to the table. NEA especially encouraged, seeing your batrep pics in the threads is great

thanks bros, appreciate it

classic

Attached: unseen moon shimmering sword.jpg (1600x500, 182K)

In the absence of physical mech models, can we post custom designs and variants?
nobody around me sells mechs or plays, so I only have the 4e introbox stand-ups and megamek

shoot my man

No canon protos at that tonnage and we had two designs at that tonnage that were WIGEs. Figured we might as well make a competition of it.

Stop sucking NEAs dick and do your own shit

just looking for inspiration lad, NEA is the only user who consistently posts about tabletop BT with pics

Attached: 1496253795047.gif (200x150, 2.75M)

But user, I'm a terrible painter. I can do basic table quality and that's it. No one here wants to see that shit.

i do

Attached: 1487825473664.png (416x533, 237K)

>instead of realism trolling or peripheREEEEE you guys should post your mechs and shit.

I was working on that, but *some*body stole my thunder and started a new thread before we were even autosaging!

Attached: battletech_raven_WIP_large04.jpg (1280x1544, 292K)

>Why are we calling Jessica Marik (had to look her up) GMILF?

Pic related. That's forty years of wear. Steiner girls peak fast but then it's all downhill. Marik women climb up to the summit but then make camp for the long haul.

>Why is Julietta, who Sarna doesn't have an article about, facing off against her mom apparently?

As part of her plans to get get the FWL back together, Jessica sent all her kids out on various diplomatic missions/rulership auditions. Julietta failed hard at hers, but then again she had been pretty much set up to. Returning with her confidence shattered and considering herself the family failure she was promptly sent out on another impossible diplomatic task that was also a suicide mission- enter into alliance negotiations with the Spirit Cats gagging on the planet Marik like it's a hairball, and string them along long enough for their situation to pass the point of no return. It was expected that once their doom was apparent the Cats would kill her for her treachery. As luck would have it, the eternally awesome immortal spirit of Ian Davion told the Spirit Cat Star Colonel not to, and he instead happily sent her on her way, then put on his kneepads to go renegotiate with the Sea Fox for more aid.

>The Nova Cucks deserved to die lmao

They didn't have a lot of good options, towards the end.

Attached: JessicaMarik40and82.png (1033x631, 686K)

Why does it have giant screws on the legs?

You asked for it. Here, have my Taurian Guard force. It's 3.75 lances with attached maniple (short two Manticores, those have some issues currently).

Attached: Taurian Guard.jpg (3264x2448, 1.41M)

>As luck would have it, the eternally awesome immortal spirit of Ian Davion told the Spirit Cat Star Colonel not to,
That reminds me of a character I've always wanted to play but never had the opportunity to, which is a Nova Cat mystic who unfailingly gets great advice from the ghost of Stefan Amaris, but of course can't ever tell anyone about it

thats pretty cool lad, i dig the color scheme. also is that duder up front missing a foot lol

Didn't Kisho end up joining the Spirit Cats?

What books cover the Nova/Spirit Cats in the Dark Age?

That sounds like a great idea, user.

>not just the don't ever tell anybody about it part
>deepest lore, this has happened
>indeed it's why the Nova Cats joined the second star league
>only way to kill it

>As luck would have it, the eternally awesome immortal spirit of Ian Davion told the Spirit Cat Star Colonel not to,

What the actual fuck

>They didn't have a lot of good options, towards the end.

They kept digging themselves deeper.

Kisho just vanished with a bunch of Nova Cat survivors iirc. Speculated he's trying to join the Spirit Cats but who knows.

Kisho is also a moron, so they probably all died of starvation waiting for him to come up with an idea.

>What the actual fuck

Rule of humor won out it in the retelling, but it's actually a good scene. The guy was obsessed (with Ian) but also with the concept of "strength" itself. To the point that *other Spirit Cats* thought he was kind of doing it wrong. His answer ended up being something on the order of strength being what you have when you have nothing left, and Julietta right before he'd have killed her was when he had the epiphany. This is Pandora's Gambit, btw.

I think it's an Arctic Wolf from MWO. There are two memes there, I think.

>The Cats aren't royally screwed by the FWL, in fact they've gotten a way sweeter deal than they could reasonably have expected.
Do they have any mech or battle armor factories?

LMAO yes, because Clan dicksucking simply cannot be contained. They have goddamn Marik, for fuck's sake. They also have Angell II and Abadan.

They've got a good line of credit with their friendly neighborhood Aimag and friends...

>I jest, but I think they're going to be ok.

Now you know exactly how us in the /srg thread feel about CGL. It's almost like they are trying to kill both Shadowrun and Battletech.
Or they're just massively incompetent.

Attached: CGLWHY.png (258x350, 57K)

porquenolosdos.webm

>Now you know
We always knew, user. we suffer together

OK, here's two Marauders in the oddball 3085 Taurian style, a wildcard WoB Mackie, and a Dark Age merc weirdo 'fuck everything but mechs' mech for people who can't afford a malice

Attached: mechs.jpg (2032x1150, 856K)

>i dig the color scheme
The scheme is the Taurian Guard parade scheme. I like it too.

>is that duder up front missing a foot
Yes, that Locust is missing a foot actually. Wasn't in the blister when I assembled it, so I built it without the foot. Good eye.

Here, since you're interested, pic related is my merc unit, the Carlson's Cavaliers.

Attached: Carlsons Cavaliers.jpg (3264x2448, 1.28M)

>WoB Mackie
Why?

>Mackie
>Void Sig
Pic related.

Attached: keep expanding.jpg (680x388, 52K)

Why not?
Plus they have all the old skobel shit on Earth to dig the plans out of (assuming that you aren't like me and don't have the thing just never going extinct in the first place)

Who'd ever expect an invisible Mackie?

My complaint is that if you have a stealth Mackie, you are failing the basic conceit of "Peripherats, I have 2 Medium Lasers. Find a hole or I make one." In response, have an SLDF Mackie.

Attached: Mackie.png (596x713, 812K)

Let's see
>Bouncy plinking cowboy varmint hunting for lights
>Brawling facepunching cowboy, possibly a Dieron expat
>I can't believe you've done this, the snipermech
>And pretty much what you said, a Partisan with legs to fuck up vees and planes

What colour did you use? Not just maker, the specific colours too.

I really tried, but you just can't do two MLs with VSS, so I went for one somewhat heavier laser in the fashion of the -5S

Probably the sort of person who would expect an enemy nation to be equipped with .22 pistols instead of assault rifles.

Just because your enemy is surprised doesn't mean you're winning.

What's the old /m/ screencap joke? If there is a hole, it's a man's job to thrust through it?

Uh, I used GW paints because they were affordable at my local store. Just checked my paintbox, I think the brown is Skrag Brown, the red is Evil Sunz Scarlet, and the gold is Balthazar Gold. It's been like a year since I painted them though, so these are just guesses.

What do 2 ton protomech designs look like?

Shit

Thank you very much, user.

I'm so happy with this. Waiting to get the tech and merc rating to do it is cruel.

Attached: STK-3(NS).png (219x915, 21K)

You disco bastard

I'd probably drop two of those lasers to small, drop a heat sink or two, and carry more armor

Now that I think about it, are there any canon 5/8/8 heavies at all?

It's really a serious indictment of the game system that not carrying max armor at all times is such a serious problem.

Sure man. Oh, right, it's over a black spray paint base that I touched up with Vallejo's black mini paint. So that's why they're dark looking: they've got a black base.

>jump on my six o'clock, the arms twist back
>find out that the disco never closes
>disco never dies

Originally it was just a Stalker that never blew up and could operate in woodland terrain. The medium lasers are more of a threat and bug/tank sweeper.

There's the stock Jade Hawk for one.

If I was rebooting the design rules I'd probably change armor to work something like this
>First 5 tons get 20pts/ton
>next 4 get 16
>next four after that get 12
>Everything after that gets 10/ton
So that maxing out armor actually has serious weight costs

stealth mackie has me rolling, good shit user. the taurian marauders are dope. great post lad

mirin crab and paint scheme

Nothing IS, but there's the clan Jade Hawk.
Makes sense, because you really don't get much payload at that moment profile without clantech

The King Crab is a metal copy of the MWO one that I got from someone on eBay (insane_kangaroo, I think he was). The scheme is something I just made up because I'd recently learned how to drybrush properly.

Well that's fucking stupid.

The real issue is that weapons are too good.

Story trailer for new game.

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=100&v=Jxqmd_tE2WI

Oh fuck yea.
Thanks for link.

Expected/10

Learned nothing new except the voice of the Aurigan Coalition leader. Taurians bad, Aurigans good, blah blah blah. The actual story beats are what is going to matter and we haven't gotten them yet.

They look like crap. Generally 3/5-5/8, an few SRM tubes or MG. You can make useful ones, but only by going into unclanlike support goals.

Attached: Raiju.png (521x773, 35K)

mirin. really considered ordering a crabbo, one of my favorite mechs, but decided not to

Notched "pad-eye"-style leg bearing covers were a big thing in mecha art for a few years. That's just a kinda crappy rendition.

>instead of realism trolling or peripheREEEEE you guys should post your mechs and shit. i wanna see your color schemes/minis and also the factions /btg/ brings to the table
Eh, fuckit. Why not?

This stuff is the start of my Tales of the Black Widow modernization project. Basically, I'm cleaning up the entire scenario pack to match modern rules (where applicable), map and 'Mech availability, and get slightly better balance going.

I'm literally pulling shit off my paint-bench here, so apologies both for the photo and paint quality here.

L-R:
Demi-company, Donegal Guard
Test mini, Colin McLaren (Black Widows)
Test mini, "Shortbow" Air-Defense unit, VFA-151
Command lance, 6th Syrtis Fusiliers "The Duke's Own"
Test minis, mercenary camoflauge (night & desert)
Test minis, Davion Assault Guards
Conversion, ZEU-6Y Zeus "Blazer"
Reinforced Demi-company, Raman Draconis March Militia, "Death's Head" Vang commanding. Yes, that is six Stingers and a Shad; no, I'm not sorry.
Company, Santander's Killers, Debbie Malgur and "Tiger" Tregarth commanding.

I really need to finish those snow bases. Got frustrated after my first technique failed and backed off to go do some other test stuff.

Attached: KIMG0743.jpg (2732x670, 704K)

>the taurians enshrine liberty, oppose slavery, and have a robust education system nation-wide
>they're written as the bad guys

>the magistracy practices slavery, disenfranchises 50% of their population, and institutionalizes legal rape
>they're written as allies for the good guys

wut

oh damn, lots of mechs here. big lul @ stinger and Chadowhawk demicompany, purple victor is pretty gnarly

hey, they COULD be setting us up for sudden yet inevitable betrayal by the canopeners

That'd do, Wash.

Yeah, I don't know man. The theory that they seem to be going with here is that the Taurians are led by some kind of crazy dictator tyrant man at this point in time who decides to conquer the Aurigan Coalition for laffs. I guess the Magistracy sees an opportunity to fuck with the Taurians via a proxy? I dunno man, plot seems pretty meh so far.

which is strange, because this period was basically the height of their isolationism
Only way I could see it making sense was if the government they deposed was raiding the TC regularly, which would honestly not be unlikely for the time and place

I'll buy it only if the Protector of the day is convinced if he doesn't annex the Coalition that the Davions will to outflank the Concordat.

Anything else is bs writing. I mean kinda, I still want to play the game and I don't think the plot will necessarily kill the game one way or the other. It'll never be MechCommander.

>Purple victor
it's a PokeMech..
I actually have a >shitload< more, but I went through a pretty bad mental patch the last couple years and I'm only just getting back on the horse.

I think with the antiques store haul I posted a couple threads back, I'm up to three regiments' worth, plus a mixed Proto/Mech Cluster led by a Supernova binary.
Oh, and I just got the last of my "sorry we fucked up" bucket from Palladium, that throws another two lances each of the four Macross Destroids, plus a couple Pixie LAMs which I will be recasting like the whore I amonto the pile.

Attached: KOF-1NG.jpg (873x1171, 245K)

I am new to the battletech universe. I like the lore so far. The only game I have ever played related to it is "mech assault lone wolf" I think.

Anyway I had some questions related to lore. What are the differences between clan mechs and inner sphere mechs?

Are clans just humans that left inner sphere and cane back years later to rape everyone? If so, how does a "clan Human" differ from a "inner sphere human"?

Attached: IMG_0193.jpg (3264x2448, 1.9M)

>What are the differences between clan mechs and inner sphere mechs?
Clan mechs are technologically superior in all respects. Their technology is lighter, more powerful, etc.

>Are clans just humans that left inner sphere and cane back years later to rape everyone?
Basically yeah. There's more to it but not much more really.

>If so, how does a "clan Human" differ from a "inner sphere human"?
They're all genetically enhanced and highly skilled at Mech combat. They reproduce using technological means instead of good ol' fashion fuckin', so there's that too.

No, the real issue is that armor as hitpoints doesn't accurate reflect anything so there are weird outcomes

>close up of victor
>three regiments
>supernova binary

pic related, luv it. post pics of the latter if ya got em

Attached: 123892346056.jpg (1280x551, 168K)

Anons, I am abso-fucking-lutely happy with this design. In practice, it's yet another way to Stalker.

True, but taking that as a given...

echoing what said mostly with a few additions

1) clans invented the omnimech, which is basically a mech that can swap out its entire weapon load (in the field even) way easier than many IS mechs which have "hard wired" weapons

2) pretty much.

3) what the other user said, but that translates on TT to them getting an automatic -1 to piloting and movement. like the difference between a 4+ to a 3+ to hit in warhams.

in addition, they mostly adhere to a more ritualistic form of combat focused on 1v1 mech duels and that sort of thing

So how does the inner sphere even take on genetically engineered killing machines?

Where shall you go, anons?

Attached: RimwardPeriphery3025.jpg (3045x1663, 1.94M)

A ridiculous number advantage. The entirety of the Clans, all of the extant ones around at the Clan Invasion, amounts to some small fraction of one of the Great Houses they invaded. The Houses can just field so much *more* stuff that they can manage wins. However, when the Clans get to fight on their own terms (small numbers, preferably 1v1 duels) the IS gets smoked.

Also, the Clans have a peculiar honor system called zellbringen that is followed to various degrees that limits their behavior.

Yes, those things are all true. And yes, comparatively speaking, the MOC are the good guys compared to the paranoid, reactionary, warmongering Taurians.

Deal with it.

Going to Portland to start a coffee based merc group

Also, if you want an example of Clans vs. the IS at its very best, you want the Battle of Tukkayid, where ComStar unleashed like 12 *armies* against 6 Clans and mercilessly crushed them.

Not them but how were comstars casilualties can't imagine it was light

What's their name?

Here's an article about the Battle of Tukayyid that is surprisingly good. sarna.net/wiki/Battle_of_Tukayyid

40% casualties. The Clans suffered that or worse as well, for the record. Fuck, Diamond Shark's force was literally wiped out.

No they weren't. Something like 75% if I remember the old fluff correctly (it has been like 25 years).

But the important thing is that they had the casualties to burn. More importantly, all those losses represented something less than 1% of the total available combat strength in the whole of the Inner Sphere, while the relative loss to the involved Clans was far higher. I want to say that the Clans involved in Tukkayid lost something like 50% of their TOTAL combat strength.

Basically, the Clan Invasion never made sense, and can't be made to make sense. We can either accept that it happened as depicted anyway, or we can't.

>Coffee-based merc group
>name

GI CuppaJoe

Attached: knowing-lasers.jpg (455x428, 50K)