rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

5etools
5etools.com
Stable releases - get.5e.tools/

Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/:
veekyforums.com/thread/58792218/games
Tell me 5eg, what are your hopes and dreams for UA that will be crushed when the next UA comes out?

Attached: b37400da7b7b50533ba83fc040648647.jpg (118 KB, 800x1046)

All urls found in this thread:

media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA_preview_duergar.pdf
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/
5etools.com
get.5e.tools/
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck
sageadvice.eu/2016/06/25/polymorph-how-do-you-handle-the-beasts-known-by-the-caster/
strawpoll.me/15386852
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/B1-L3BTod
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HJb63wvDLW

Gigastrength
Gigastrength

HOLY FUCK
MIKE MEARLS LOOKS LIKE THE VILLAIN FROM TOY STORY 2

AwesomeTucker
AwesomeTucker

looks like

New_Cliche
New_Cliche

I'm a Barbarian and my unarmored defense grants me the same AC as wearing armor. Is there any benefit in choosing to wear armor anyway? All I see is the corner-case downside of armor when being targeted by Shocking Grasp and Heat Metal spells, plus having to don and doff it. Am I missing something?

Boy_vs_Girl
Boy_vs_Girl

There's literally only cons.

w8t4u
w8t4u

Get plate and you'll probably have better AC.

Inmate
Inmate

Alternate leveling options for Hexblade in order to make it less frontloaded.

I don't even dislike Hexblades, I'm having fun with my own right now, but the potential for abuse is really obvious.

idontknow
idontknow

You can't feasibly reach the higher ends of armor

lostmypassword
lostmypassword

Unarmored Defense sucks compared to + heavy armor.

Carnalpleasure
Carnalpleasure

Tbh warlock was a mistake from a design perspective.
The idea is fine, the execution was bad.

cum2soon
cum2soon

If your Unamored Defense gives you the same AC as your armor, then don't wear armor. Go be the shirtless barbarian you want to be.

Playboyize
Playboyize

Armorless barbarian charging spell caster thinking he's immune to heat metal. Suddenly his primary gets to hot to handle. Reduced to slapping for 1d4.

RavySnake
RavySnake

Tell me 5eg, what are your hopes and dreams for UA that will be crushed when the next UA comes out?

Maybe an update to the trio subclasses they released?

StonedTime
StonedTime

You take the damage regardless.
If you pass the con save to keep holding your weapon, might as well use your next turn to fuck up that caster if you can.

Problem with your armor is that raw it takes more than an action to doff.
And if you have to drop your primary, who the fuck doesn't have more weapons?

Spazyfool
Spazyfool

1d4
I don't know why but it bothers me when people that aren't tavern brawler or monk think they get 1d4 from their fists. But it makes me sperg like the biggest fucking autistic around.

happy_sad
happy_sad

Is there ever any good reason to add a DMPC or do you have any success story's of using one to make memorable moments? Asking f-for a friend.

iluvmen
iluvmen

My party's Barbarian has 20 AC

Techpill
Techpill

Hey /5eg/, Cleric-user here from last night who was asking for help fluffing/homebrewing a Dark Souls style domain.

First off, you guys are awesome, thanks for the advice.

I used all the advice to come up with this. It's 90% a refluffed Forge Domain cleric, but I just want to make sure that no one sees anything retarded. Spell list was shuffled around, and the Channel Divinity is just the Light Domain one. Maybe some ideas for a unique Channel Divinity? The Light Domain one seems a bit tacked on.

Attached: 5eHomebrew-Ember-Domain.pdf (2.92 MB, PDF)

SniperWish
SniperWish

Your friend sounds like a faggot.
DMPCs should never exist. Either they are support NPCs who never make decisions that impact the group (or leave if the group does something they wouldn't do), or they are the GM masturbating over his own work.
Seriously, they never, NEVER, turn out better than if you had simply given them an NPC who might cast heal or counterspell in circumstances where the players couldn't.

TurtleCat
TurtleCat

DMPCs are only DMPCs if they're bad and the DM trying to self insert or be a player in their own game.
Otherwise they're just good NPCs.

As a DM I'll never understand the mentality of those that DMPC. You get to play literally hundreds of characters. Why do you need to make your own character.

I get not all DMs want to be the DM, but either learn to love it or find someone who will.

eGremlin
eGremlin

How much dick did he suck for max dex and con

AwesomeTucker
AwesomeTucker

So several points,
1) The amount of damage the Barbarian is taking is much less than the damage he'd deal per successful hit (especially if he's a Bearbarian).
2) Unarmed damage does 1+STR damage w/o Monk or Tavern Brawler.
3) Heat Metal is a concentration, so the moment the Barbarian hits you, you've probably lost concentration on the spell regardless.
So go ahead and heat metal, your body will break long before my hands suffer significant burns.

Ignoramus
Ignoramus

Are lizardfolk OP?4

2 con, +1 wis
Both stats great for monks, clerics, and druids. Standard +2/+1 so not too much special here
30' swim speed
not always important but it can be lifesaving
bite
your unarmed strikes are now 1d6 piercing
cunning artisan
situationally useful but very flavorful
hold breath
situationally useful but it is powerful in the right situation
hunters lore
two free skills from a pretty decent list that includes Perception. This is very good
Natural Armor
AC while not wearing armor is 13+dex. This is great for any dex based class and it even works with a shield meaning you will probably have 17 AC at level 1 with no armor. Druid and cleric can make great use of this.
Hungry jaws
Easy temp hp once per short rest. The amount isnt great but druids should be able to use this in any animal form with teeth.
Languages
Common and Draconic

These guys just have a lot of abilities and no real downsides. They make AMAZING druids and damn good clerics. Very few races get as much out of their racials as these guys grab.

Stupidasole
Stupidasole

You can also get it if you use a shield. But still, 18 in both is pretty damn high.

Need_TLC
Need_TLC

An ax'll usually have a wooden haft, friend.

Sir_Gallonhead
Sir_Gallonhead

Don't forget no martial should be retarded enough to only have one weapon.

kizzmybutt
kizzmybutt

Unless the party specifically asks for one, no. Even then it's better to give them a pet npc to use as a mascot or support character. I've found that some players like to collect npcs and it's a great way to build up a narrative for a kingmaker campaign or something similar. Have them adventure with an alternating cast of background characters and then call on their individual skills to help found a new town/kingdom.

StonedTime
StonedTime

Problem is that none if it is amazing, it's just a lot of very mediocre stuff.
Ability Scores
Like you said, average. Con is good to have, but wis is only useful for 3-4 classes.
Swim Speed, Bite, Hold Breath
Might come up once or twice, but only worth taking because they're free
Cunning Artisan
Really fun sounding, RAW spends potentially valuable reagents to make worthless mundane items
Natural Armor
Monk has unarmored defense, druid has natural armor, cleric has medium armor, those are the classes that want Wis
Hunter's Lore
Worse version of what half elf gets, but not bad for perception and stealth
Hungry Jaws
Requires action economy, 1/rest, very little benefit, most of the time you won't even choose to use it when it's up

Overall they aren't a bad race and they have some pretty good flavor, but they are far from being OP.

Just compare to actual OP races
Half Elf
+2 Cha, +1X +1Y, any 2 skills, access to elvish accuracy
Alternate Human
A fucking feat and +1 to any 2, also a skill
Alternate Tiefling
+2 Dex, +1 Cha, permanent 30ft flight, fire resistance
Aasimar
+2 Cha, +1 Con, scaling aoe and single target damage buffs, radiant and necrotic resistance

ZeroReborn
ZeroReborn

What route you go for your hex?

Spamalot
Spamalot

Bladesinger X/ Arcane Trickster Y viable? What spread should the levels be and in what order should I pick them up?

Gigastrength
Gigastrength

that doesn't actualy matter, having a metal blade is enouph to count as a metal object. and you have to take damage if you are in contact with the object, not necisarily the metal part. Its a little stupid but fuck it, barbs are proficient in con saving throws, and even if you fail the throw you can still chose to hold the weapon you just get disadvantage next turn, which you can remove with reckless attacks.

SniperGod
SniperGod

don't forget the most OP race, yuan ti

TalkBomber
TalkBomber

Not that user, but for quick fix why not have it be 1/4 warlock level to damage, 19-20 at level 6 or so. If you want to incentivise going straight bladelock then add 18-20 crit at level 10 and put in the stipulation that it only works with pact weapon attacks.

In a perfect world, make the pseudo smite the level 1 feature tied to the pact weapon, becoming a +1 weapon at level 5. Add the curse as the level 6 power and have it scale off of something fun like number of invocations instead of proficiency. Level 10 power add a feature to eldritch smite that combos off of a crit to link it mechanically with the curse. Level 14 free smite when you crit 1/short rest on cursed target, maybe make 18-20 crit if you're trying to really draw people away from eldritch blast builds.

Add in some fun invocations that allow you to control how your smite and curse features work. Curse two targets at once, move curse when target dies, (slighly weaker) buff ally instead of debuffing enemy, add conditions on smite or smite crit, regain spell slot only for smite on killing cursed target. That sort of thing.

Sir_Gallonhead
Sir_Gallonhead

What does /5eg/ think of the Eldritch Knight?

Gigastrength
Gigastrength

Magic resistance is exceptional, but everything else about them is pretty garbage. 2 cha 1 int means you're going to be wasting one of those stats, spells are crap, poison resistance is very niche.

RumChicken
RumChicken

Actually now that I think of it, Yuan'ti oath of the ancients paladin/totem of the bear barbarian is the ultimate tank. For extra cheese take the, by now infamous hexblade 1 and all of the sudden you have a fucking dank build.

CouchChiller
CouchChiller

Inferior Paladin in pretty every respect, doesn't even have a smite-equivalent to, y'know, actually combine melee and magic like people want out of a spellsword class.

Attached: no-thanks-link.jpg (441 KB, 810x810)

TechHater
TechHater

So, wait.

Looking at the spellcaster multiclassing rules, it states that all your spellslots get mushed together, and you can cast any spell you know from any slot. This is a known fact.

Then, looking at the wizard rules in the PHB, it states that you can copy any Wizard spell to your spellbook IF IT'S OF A LEVEL FOR WHICH YOU HAVE SPELL SLOTS. It also adds that you can then prepare and cast it just like your other spells.

If I'm going strictly by what I read, doesn't this mean that if you're for example Wizard 1 Cleric 19, you can cast all cleric spells innately, and all Wizard spells if you can find them as scrolls and copy them in your spellbook?

Stupidasole
Stupidasole

Yes, that's right.

Stark_Naked
Stark_Naked

Mixing cantrips with weapon attacks and using weapon attacks to give people disadvantage on saves vs your spells is pretty spellsword.

At least EKs actually cast spells instead of just using slots to shit out d8s.

Crazy_Nice
Crazy_Nice

Eh its okay rp wise. But honestly you might as well take hexblade. Though the eldritch knight has good niche.

Harmless_Venom
Harmless_Venom

don't lie to newfriends

MPmaster
MPmaster

Holy shit, that sounds overpowered as fuck. What is even the point of having favoured souls and such when you can get access to far superior spell list by rolling cleric and dipping 1 into Wizard?

Spamalot
Spamalot

Very bad. It has the worst possible spell progression from a very limited list and basically doesn't get any class features.

farquit
farquit

you are a 1/3 caster, and a fighter that needs int is pretty MAD, though if you only pick utility spells that dotn care about your spell casting attribute you can do some nice stuff. The features, other than spellcasting itself, suck pretty bad.

w8t4u
w8t4u

Oh boy, you can replace one of your melee attacks with a good weapon and a strength modifier for a cantrip that's gonna be at disadvantage at point blank, only do a 1d10 with no modifiers, and make you lose your third and fourth melee attacks when you're high enough level to get them. Wow.

Bidwell
Bidwell

not using a colossal fucking greatclub
casual

Inmate
Inmate

or you can use booming/green-flame blade like someone who isn't a retard

Gigastrength
Gigastrength

This is technically true, but the actual rules for acquiring new spells of any serious level make it prohibitively expensive. If your DM is an idiot and you can just yank the spellbook off of every wizard you meet, wizard 1/bard or cleric 19 is the way to go.

Sharpcharm
Sharpcharm

It's almost like Sorcerers are a shitty completely redundant class that exists just to get shat on by every other caster in the game, ESPECIALLY wizards whom WotC totally doesn't have a throbbing boner for.

Attached: Mearlsstare.png (294 KB, 696x632)

Emberfire
Emberfire

Going to Easter BBQ this weekend
Haven't been working much
Only do lifting, vidya, and DnD in my spare time
What should I tell them I've been doing?

TalkBomber
TalkBomber

It sounds overpowered as fuck because it is.
It also isn't true.

WebTool
WebTool

It also isn't true.
Why?

BlogWobbles
BlogWobbles

Lifting, vidya and D&D? How is this a legitimate question?

StonedTime
StonedTime

Self improvement.

TechHater
TechHater

Like I'm gonna waste my PHB+1 book for a pair of cantrips that still won't keep up with my basic attack once I get my third and fourth attack. No thanks. I'll just play a Paladin or Hexblade.

Honestly, if you're going to ask for advice on a class, don't get all asshurt and defensive when people give you an honest answer about why they don't like it. You're not looking for opinions, you're looking for an echo-chamber.

Attached: Maximum-Paladin.jpg (46 KB, 720x747)

Stupidasole
Stupidasole

Paladin, Hexblade and multiclassing into Sorc/Wizard/Warlock are all better, with the exception of no War Magic. However Fighters are actually pretty good now in 5e (with the exception of Purple Dragon Knight) so they're still more than playable.
I'm playing a Fighter right now and am thinking of going into Fiend or Undying Warlock, seems fun.

Illusionz
Illusionz

AL

Attached: flumph-dear-lord.jpg (8 KB, 383x296)

Spazyfool
Spazyfool

Not that user, but what? Don't both of those require an action to cast meaning you could make 2 attacks a round instead of your normal 5?

King_Martha
King_Martha

AL doesn't even give you the "+1" book, it's just PHB only.

massdebater
massdebater

read the spells known and prepared section of mutliclassing. You could make an argument that you can copy whatever spell into the spellbook, but you could NOT prepare it unless a lvl 1 wizard could prepare it.

Inmate
Inmate

Finding spells could be difficult, but the cost isn't that high. 450 gold for a 9th level spell? Peanuts.

hairygrape
hairygrape

you do know those cantrips were reprinted in xanathars right? The same book that has hex blade

Carnalpleasure
Carnalpleasure

everyone on Veeky Forums is the same person
you silly billy

Using a cantrip and bonus action attack still does more damage at later levels than attacking normally if you can get the secondary effect to go off. Although that isn't considering feats.

Burnblaze
Burnblaze

Uuuh...

Attached: AL-one-book-only.png (52 KB, 716x382)

Firespawn
Firespawn

Booming Blade and Greenflame Blade were mistakes. Why anyone actually allows these in their game is beyond me. They're poorly written, poorly balanced, and are more meta-centralizing centralizing options than fucking Landorus in Pokemon.

BunnyJinx
BunnyJinx

Attached: 8tOcpZS.jpg (40 KB, 453x576)

Lord_Tryzalot
Lord_Tryzalot

So you can copy and learn the spells but you can't prepare them and thus are unable to cast them unless you have enough levels as a wizard?

haveahappyday
haveahappyday

Now I know those spells are OP in certain circumstances, but EK finds a good balance with them I think (at least once you get a third attack).

SomethingNew
SomethingNew

Yet people allow Moon Druids and Mystics.

Attached: let-me-out.jpg (21 KB, 381x225)

Techpill
Techpill

Reminder that Wizard should be banned from every session you DM.

Carnalpleasure
Carnalpleasure

Truly below average intelligent post.

SniperGod
SniperGod

almost, you cant actually prepare them, the multi class limitations say you cant prepare a spell unless you could prepare it if with one of your classes alone, a lvl 1 wizard can only prepare lvl 1 wizard spells. Weather it is in your book doesnt mater.

TechHater
TechHater

So exactly what I wrote.

MPmaster
MPmaster

Friend sets up a one-shot with me and a couple others since we're home for Spring Break
Starting at level 7, I decide to play a Wizard since haven't gotten the chance to yet
rest of the party is two Bards and two Monks
mfw I dictate the flow of combat merely by existing
mfw I polymorph myself into a young Black Dragon at the start of the final encounter, thus trivializing it merely by existing
I've never felt like I've actively hurt the amount of fun the rest of my group is having before, but I know how it feels now. I swear by all that is good in the world that I will never play Wizard in an actual campaign unless everyone else is a Wizard too

Attached: 1511636660623.jpg (28 KB, 574x430)

Evil_kitten
Evil_kitten

Mystics are fine if you tweak some overpowered disciplines. Moon druids are broken.

likme
likme

Polymorph yourself into a young black dragon
That's not how that spell works

kizzmybutt
kizzmybutt

So Our party is level 20 in out long running campaign and DM is increasing the level cap to 30 so he can throw bigger badder homebrew stuff at us. He said he' be giving us appropriate level milestones past 20 if we keep to one class but I plan to multiclass.

What's better? Monk 18/Fighter 12? Monk 18/Rogue 12? Monk 18/ Fighter 2/Rogue 10?
Monk 18/Fighter 4/Rogue 8?

Attached: 1518922198677.jpg (77 KB, 344x458)

Burnblaze
Burnblaze

yes, I misread one of your cants to a can

SniperWish
SniperWish

The transformation lasts for the duration, or until the target drops to 0 hit points or dies. The new form can be any beast whose challenge rating is equal to or less than the target's (or the target's leveI, if it doesn't have a challenge rating). The target's game statistics, including mental ability scores, are replaced by the statistics of the chosen beast. It retains its alignment and personality.
Is the fuck up that I can't cast it on myself? If so, I feel even worse now

WebTool
WebTool

Give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he's talking about a previous edition where the polymorph spells didn't have the beast -only clause or he just made it up.

TurtleCat
TurtleCat

I'm playing Beast Conclave revised ranger. Picking up my companion but where in the MM does tit show's the creature's hit die do I can increase its HP every level

JunkTop
JunkTop

don't worry guys I'll just homebrew 10 new levels for each class
eugh

PurpleCharger
PurpleCharger

The new form can be any beast whose challenge rating is equal to or less than the target's
The new form can be any beast
any beast
beast
Do you see the problem with what you did yet?

New_Cliche
New_Cliche

What low-to-mid level class features are worth giving up class features appropriate to characters above level 20?

Illusionz
Illusionz

Oh shit I misread the beast clause I'm fucking retarded yet another reason why I shouldn't play Wizard

Raving_Cute
Raving_Cute

Don't feel too bad, when you get to 17, you can cast True Polymorph and change your shape into an adult gold dragon. Permanently.

Lunatick
Lunatick

Like said, it can only transform into beasts. That said, there is literally nothing in the RAW to disallow you from becoming a giant ape instead.

viagrandad
viagrandad

dragons are not beasts
beast is an animal
dragons are their own thing

haveahappyday
haveahappyday

you can self cast just fine, what you cannot do is turn something into a dragon.

SomethingNew
SomethingNew

tfw I could have wrestled the Abominable Yeti as a Giant Ape and gone full King Kong
tfw my mage boner blocked circulation to my head and made things less cool than they could have been

Attached: reee.jpg (58 KB, 720x960)

Inmate
Inmate

TFW you learn polymorph is actually fucking retarded
Seriously? It has a fucking beast only clause? That's some of the most anti-fun shit I've ever seen. Needing a 9th level spell slot to turn something into a monster is fucking stupid.

Attached: 1520889315363.gif (444 KB, 650x193)

Skullbone
Skullbone

Wizard is fine as long as they're not played by min-maxing faggot.

They're always played by min-maxing faggots.

Burnblaze
Burnblaze

You can still turn your party members into t rexes. Besides, polymorph was fucking bananas in earlier editions.

Evilember
Evilember

look at the description where it says the hp. it will have XdY+Z (average) listed. the Y is the hit die

BlogWobbles
BlogWobbles

My GM has the party starting at level 3 and has decided to let us request a magic item to represent that we're already somewhat established adventurers. As a wizard what would be a good choice? Preferably something somewhat interesting as opposed to just a Cloak of Protection.

VisualMaster
VisualMaster

There is; it's called shapechange.

Stupidasole
Stupidasole

I'm toying with this.

Moved Cha as weapon mod to Pact of Blade.

Attached: Hexblade-Revised.pdf (1.47 MB, PDF)

Dreamworx
Dreamworx

Transforming into animals is the sweetest and most wizardly shit.
waaaah I can't become a demon
Go fuck yourself, for real.

Attached: that-is-no-illusion.jpg (147 KB, 491x800)

kizzmybutt
kizzmybutt

You can still turn your party members into t rexes
And their 2 INT. Don't be expecting any high-level tactical play when you're one.

hairygrape
hairygrape

I don't know Action Surge? Expertise? Sneak Attack? Crap more ASIs?

Carnalpleasure
Carnalpleasure

Rage doesn't work in heavy armor

RumChicken
RumChicken

And what kind of shit does the DM plan to give to level >20 Fighters or Rogues?

eGremlin
eGremlin

Depends on the kind of character you want to play. Can't go wrong with a broom of flying, an alchemist jug, an immovable rod, or a bag of tricks

StrangeWizard
StrangeWizard

Not being able to polymorph someone into an ooze
Not being able to polymorph into an owlbear
No lava dwelling creatures
No seriously, this shit is anti-fun. The level/magic/hand restriction would have been enough. It's literally only useful for when you don't already have a druid doing all your utility needs for you, or when you need a bunch of temp HP.

Ignoramus
Ignoramus

That's why you cast it on your dumb paladin. That's what they're there for, not to be smart.

Stupidasole
Stupidasole

If you're using the spell, what intelligent strategies do you need other than "charge and eat them"?

Garbage Can Lid
Garbage Can Lid

Go play exalted instead, 5e isn't designed for >20.

Harmless_Venom
Harmless_Venom

Polymorph is pretty widely considered one of the strongest combat spells in the game from what I can tell. That t-rex at level 8 is no joke.

kizzmybutt
kizzmybutt

You really can't imagine a situation where a dumb beast could be outwitted? They don't even understand language at that point, and literally cannot react to changing environment.

Techpill
Techpill

The first 3 levels of fighter are absolute gold, same with the first 3 levels of ranger. Mystic is pretty nice since it thematically fits with monk and basically caps out at level 9. If you're just trying to get the most power out of it, 1 level in hexblade warlock means a cruse every short rest which is exceptionally good. Never pick rogue over bard, it's just flat out worse.

SniperGod
SniperGod

And any sane GM that doesn't want maximum cheese in every combat fight will promptly counter it until it becomes useless.

Or just simply:
T-Rex never existed in this world, you can't do that
or
We aren't using Volo's dinosaurs.

It's not just about combat, it's about other flavorful utility.

TechHater
TechHater

You really can't imagine a situation where using the spell wouldn't be highly beneficial? They provide over 100 hp to your martials and go toe-to-toe with most big bads with a 25 Strength AND a damage scaling outside their level. Strawmen are easy.

AwesomeTucker
AwesomeTucker

Mystic doesn't cap out at 9, but it does hit a plateau at that level. Psionic mastery at 11 is when they really start hitting their limits.

Being able to nuke with 9 psi points is powerful, as is being able to concentrate on multiple different effects at the same time.

Attached: PSIMAS.jpg (117 KB, 501x730)

JunkTop
JunkTop

my base is a monk with 8 CHA. How can I even Bard and Lock?

BunnyJinx
BunnyJinx

nine extra attacks
even more feats
there's no stopping the hitting stuff train

StrangeWizard
StrangeWizard

Not saying this would stop any DM who wanted to from banning it but t-rex is in the MM.

Ignoramus
Ignoramus

turn yourself into an oozaru
you know the feeling where you never knew you wanted something until someone else came up with it?

Supergrass
Supergrass

t-rex never existed in this world
not "have you ever seen a dinosaur?"
we aren't using Volo's dinosaurs
despite t-rex being in the monster manual.
It's not just about combat, it's about other flavorful utility
the utility INCLUDES the combat capability

Dreamworx
Dreamworx

And not only that, but you can totally turn someone into a frog to take them out of the picture while you deal with others. Or just grab them and throw them in the slammer before they can change back.

Fried_Sushi
Fried_Sushi

slippers of spiderclimb let you stand on the walls/ceiling to avoid enemies.

Pearl of Power is just good for a wizard.

Spell gems are fun

Wand of magic missile is great

Nude_Bikergirl
Nude_Bikergirl

Be paranoid and get a AMULET OF PROOF AGAINST DETECTION AND LOCATION. Because they are out to get you, and you cant let them find you.

Get a ring of resistance to a damage type you dish out, drop AOEs at your feat a lot.

Bag of tricks, throw badgers at people like a boss

Cloak of the manta ray, because that shit looks baller

eyes of the eagle, or eyes of minute seeing. Peer into the mysteries of the universe.

one of the stat manuals, because you are a munchkiny fuck and want the extra atribute points.

decanter of endless water, usefull as all get out, doubly so if you (or another player) has an understanding of hydrostatics.

Nolzur's marvelous pigments, because you want to draw doors into walls, and make the DM rage.

Ring of feather fall, pretty obvious

Scroll of (insert spell here), copy it into your book cus you a wiz, woot, free spell.

Sending stones. Shaped like bananas.

Boy_vs_Girl
Boy_vs_Girl

Gonna give my sun soul monk a magic item that lets him cast polymorph but only on himself and only into a giant ape now.

Evil_kitten
Evil_kitten

You really can't imagine a situation where using the spell wouldn't be highly beneficial?
Yes I can. How does that address my argument that polymorphing into a dumbass meatshield is extremely situational? Look into the definition of strawman before you act so smug.

happy_sad
happy_sad

Forgot to mention that he also increased the stat cap to 30

askme
askme

you need to have seen the beast for wildshape, not polymorph

Skullbone
Skullbone

Wat? No they aren't.

WebTool
WebTool

If something literally doesn't exist, it would make no sense to be able to polymorph into it
Combat utility argument
You are fucking retarded and are missing the entire point of non-combat utility. No one is debating it has uses in combat. That would be fucking stupid. But they basically castrated one of the most famous spells in the fucking game by making it beast only.

GoogleCat
GoogleCat

it's still great that can't be denied
but now it can't do literally everything so it sucks
wizardfags everyone

Spazyfool
Spazyfool

Didn't mean it literally capped out, just that, as you put it they hit a plateau. While psionic mastery is very good, I'm not entirely sure it's worth the otherwise dead levels.

Harmless_Venom
Harmless_Venom

You cannot. Unless you get your dm to waive the stat prerequisite. But even if you can't get into bard, don't take rogue levels the whole class is a trap.

Playboyize
Playboyize

Rogue is an awesome class what are you talking about?

Carnalpleasure
Carnalpleasure

you want true polymorph then. Or have your DM make an alternat one that is limited to a CR thats 1/4th the level of the target.

Burnblaze
Burnblaze

Lets be honest here. Wizards would be able to find a solution to any problem you gave them with, or without, polymorph. Name one reason why polymorph is better for being beast only.
For the record, I play druid. and I'm a little bit salty at how unflavored it's become

Emberburn
Emberburn

I legit provided an instance of "if you're using this spell" which pertains to a scenario where it's useful. In turn, that led to your strawman of "well in the scenario where it's not useful, it's not useful". Tell me more examples, user, where using a spell or ability in a specific scenario means that the spell as a whole is bad. Perhaps fireball against a group of cultists holding villagers hostage means it must be a terrible spell? Or perhaps using divine sense in an empty room means it is trash?

Polymorphing into a "dumbass meatshield" means you can get through a majority of combat encounters off the back of one spell.

Player: "I cast polymorph, transforming our fighter into a t-rex."
Player Characters: "A what?"
sageadvice.eu/2016/06/25/polymorph-how-do-you-handle-the-beasts-known-by-the-caster/

I know this is hard to believe, but your homebrew game where X doesn't exist, especially when it's in the core book, doesn't suddenly make the spell as a whole trash for everyone else not playing it that way.

You are fucking retarded and are missing the entire point of non-combat utility.
Polymorph's utility includes both combat and non-combat uses; nowhere did you specify non-combat until it was pointed at to you.
No one is debating it has uses in combat. That would be fucking stupid.
See the other poster.
But they basically castrated one of the most famous spells in the fucking game by making it beast only.
Castrated and it's still one of the best spells for its slot.

SniperWish
SniperWish

best non full caster class in the game
trap

Attached: does-this-look-like-the-face-of-mercy.png (215 KB, 696x617)

BinaryMan
BinaryMan

Well, consider that Psionic Mastery at level 18 amounts to a total of 44 points, which is about 60% of your total pool. Not a negligible amount of points by any stretch, and you can also break the 7 psi point limit that normally applies to psionic disciplines. Being able to dump 11D8 guaranteed damage (through psychic assault) 4 times in a day for example is nothing to scoff at.

Still debatable whether it's worth advancing in the class past 9 (or 11), but it's not like they're dead levels.

BunnyJinx
BunnyJinx

martials
ever not a trap

Attached: 1487352907338.jpg (153 KB, 462x435)

Need_TLC
Need_TLC

Because if it had no restriction then you could turn into a githyanki knight and cast plane shift at level 7 or some shit.

There's like, a million reasons. Not the least of which is that if it isn't only beasts the CR of what you could turn into with a 4th level slot would keep improving.

implying Mearls' rulings count

Sharpcharm
Sharpcharm

All combat situations are inherently chaotic and disruptive. Changing your partymember into a simple beast that cannot adapt to the situation is always a risk, so yes, it does have inherent limitations. It's rich that you're accusing me of strawmanning when you yourself made up a strawman argument, since I never claimed that it isn't useful. Now fuck off with your condescending attitude.

LuckyDusty
LuckyDusty

No, not normally though... I have an NPC Artificer traveling with my party for this "Arc" as she wanted to join up with the group to help them out on their quest and had a crush on one of the PCs and really wanted to be next to him. Also coincidentally the party was going to visit the crushes homeland which she was really interested in visiting, meeting the people who made him the way he is and helping them through their troubles.

The interesting thing though, she was successful in courting the PC (They want a month of downtime so they can better get to know each other) and the player recently told me the PC would have stayed in his homeland after all of this was said and done, but because she was there, gave him a sappy love letter (with the gloves of hand attraction inside) he told me he wouldn't want to stay there without her being there or him going back with her. So... yeah It oddly worked out well.

Attached: 1517738637777.jpg (51 KB, 747x703)

JunkTop
JunkTop

Can flying creatures attack without being hit by non flying creatures? without ranged weapons?

PurpleCharger
PurpleCharger

Oh. It's this faggot again.

Stupidasole
Stupidasole

If they have reach, yes.
But enemies can also have reach.

Nojokur
Nojokur

since martials are worthless what caster should i play to not die and hit things really hard?

Booteefool
Booteefool

Eldritch Knight

Boy_vs_Girl
Boy_vs_Girl

War/Forge Cleric or Hexblade

King_Martha
King_Martha

Dragon Sorcerer works well, Druid is durable, Cleric too.

Evil_kitten
Evil_kitten

Dragon Sorcerer. Hexblade Warlock.

farquit
farquit

All combat situations are inherently chaotic and disruptive
And?
Changing your partymember into a simple beast that cannot adapt to the situation is always a risk, so yes, it does have inherent limitations
What does that even mean?. What would qualify as a scenario where a t-rex would not understand the most important aspects of a conflict?

iluvmen
iluvmen

it's a new UA class called "stop being a pussy and play what you want"

idontknow
idontknow

If you end up having an NPC party member, have them be a level or more behind to make sure your mary-sue urges are kept in check.

kizzmybutt
kizzmybutt

Never pick rogue over bard, it's just flat out worse.
Unless you want to attack or get expertise quickly. It's almost like they're completely different classes. Rogue pairs well with monk and bard doesn't at all.

Gigastrength
Gigastrength

Because if it had no restriction then you could turn into a githyanki knight and cast plane shift at level 7 or some shit.
There's already a clause restricting this.
The creature is limited in the actions it can perform by the nature o f its new form, and it can’t speak, cast spells, or take any other action that requires hands or speech.

Not the least of which is that if it isn't only beasts the CR of what you could turn into with a 4th level slot would keep improving.
Acting like this won't happen anyway as more monster manuals get added.

Your argument is pretty fucking awful at this point.

Methnerd
Methnerd

MageSlayer Rogues completely destroy caster cucks.

Burnblaze
Burnblaze

What's the most amount of bonus damage sources you can stack on a single attack?

Emberfire
Emberfire

Any recommendations for a module I can run on roll20 as a new DM? I feel like running a module would probably be the best way to get a feel for how D&D works, as everyone in my group and I are new to the game.

LuckyDusty
LuckyDusty

Hi, user! How are you tonight? Glad to see if you're in top form! Personally, I'm happy to say the whole thing came out pretty well in hindsight of all the whole the PC would have left the party thing.

BunnyJinx
BunnyJinx

Last session I had, we found out one of the PCs was possessed by some evil fuck and he got souped up and turned on the Paladin and I.
I immediately spammed Wall of Force and Counterspell at him to the point he barely got to do anything while the Paladin was also CCing him, I felt like shit afterward.

Fuzzy_Logic
Fuzzy_Logic

There hasn't been a single CR 9 beast introduced into this game because the designers know that if they did that it would make polymorph even better. They aren't the braindead retards that made 3.pf.

Also that quote is clearly referring to the restrictions that come along with being a beast. It would make sense for a humanoid you transform into to not be able to take any actions that require hands or speech.

Ignoramus
Ignoramus

Flametongue Elemental Weapon Hexblade Pact Weapon Lifedrinker Greatsword Power Attack Sneak Attack while Raging on a creature targeted by the Hexblade Curse and it's a Favored Enemy.

Stupidasole
Stupidasole

When to escape. When the maneuevre. What targets to attack. How to get around an obstacle or at something on higher elevation. These are all unsurmountable obstacles to a creature with 2 INT.

On top of that, it has extremely low saves, and can be easily controlled by any magic, really.

If you play with dimwitted DMs that consider all combat HP vs. HP slugfests, it does work. Don't play with dimwitted DMs.

Sir_Gallonhead
Sir_Gallonhead

no mention of Smite or Brute's damage die

Evil_kitten
Evil_kitten

Forgot smite
You must have forgotten the OP

Attached: a7d5ab32d9e90ba8d156bb8b7b9f1c0e--fantasy-warrior-paladino.jpg (51 KB, 500x707)

askme
askme

I shall remember this. When MToF comes out, and one is in there, I'll repost and make you eat your words.

lostmypassword
lostmypassword

Oh silly me.

Okay so Warlock 12 Paladin 2 Barbarian 1 (Revised) Ranger 1 Fighter 3

You can get
Flametongue Elemental Weapon Hexblade Pact Weapon Lifedrinker Greatsword Power Attack Sneak Attack while Raging on a creature targeted by the Hexblade Curse and it's a Favored Enemy you're Smiting and you're a Brute with GWF so you reroll 1 and 2 weapon damage die.

I think we can also add in beneficial effects from other classes, but this is too MC'd to get any more + damage from other classes.

Methnerd
Methnerd

Good luck user!

RavySnake
RavySnake

Trying to make a Saiyan character. Was thinking Monk multiclassed into Barbarian but am unsure about the specifics. Any ideas?

WebTool
WebTool

MageSlayer Rogues
I didn't see that archetype in the PHB, can you post it?

ZeroReborn
ZeroReborn

Unless you want to attack
Once per round for 35 damage at level 20
Pairing with monk, the only other class who's damage scales exclusive with class level

If this is supposed to be a joke, it is a very bad one.
No, the only reason to take rogue is if you're playing in a skill heavy game and want reliable talent.

Nojokur
Nojokur

What the fuck would you even roll for this monstrosity of an attack? Also you forgot Bless.

Need_TLC
Need_TLC

It's called Feats

Crazy_Nice
Crazy_Nice

when to escape
Lol.
When the maneuevre.
Maneuver? You mean besides closer to the enemy?
What targets to attack.
Why wouldn't they know which targets are important? They may not know that Killiwrath the Necromancer is capable of casting dark magics (intelligence), but they do know he is the greatest threat to them (Wisdom).
How to get around an obstacle or at something on higher elevation.
As we all know, a 2 intelligence means a lack of object permanence in the face of stone walls, or that t-rexes walk straight off cliffs in pursuit of prey.
These are all unsurmountable obstacles to a creature with 2 INT.
See above.
On top of that, it has extremely low saves,
+7 to Strength?
and can be easily controlled by any magic, really.
Lol.
If you play with dimwitted DMs that consider all combat HP vs. HP slugfests, it does work. Don't play with dimwitted DMs.
If you play with dimwitted DMs who play with every random enemy having a get-out-of-jail free card, it doesn't work. Don't play with dimwitted DMs, or DMs that ignore 3/4s of the monster manual. It's ok, user; you can stop typing anytime.

Attached: hobbit-hour.jpg (115 KB, 534x533)

Lord_Tryzalot
Lord_Tryzalot

Bless only affects attack rolls and saving throws not damage rolls.

MPmaster
MPmaster

Feats rogue? Damn, I'm really behind, missed that archetype too.

Firespawn
Firespawn

Shit, am I confusing Bless with another spell that adds a 1d4 to damage rolls?

WebTool
WebTool

divine favor?

Stupidasole
Stupidasole

Yeah, that was it.

Nude_Bikergirl
Nude_Bikergirl

Greatsword
2d6
Flametongue
2d6
Sneak Attack
1d6
Elemental Weapon
1d4 + 1
Smite
2d8
Lifedrinker (assume 5 Cha)
Rage
Cha
Hexblade Curse
Power Attack
Favored Enemy

So total of 5d6+2d8+1d4+31 damage for an average of 60 mixed damage per hit. We can go higher, but this requires other characters using empowering spells and the like since we're using our concentration for Elemental Weapon.

Lunatick
Lunatick

Realistically eldritch smite, paladin smite, brute strike, sneak attak 1d6, with power attack is the most you could get without cheese, with a flametongue weapon and imporved pact weapon and hex and curse that would be 11d8+13d6+22.

Soft_member
Soft_member

Oh shit I forgot Brute, another 1d4, so 63 average damage on hit. Realistic range of +6/-6 but variables.

w8t4u
w8t4u

You can't Eldritch Smite and paladin smite at the same time and that's assuming max levels for both which is of course impossible because your max level is 20.

askme
askme

Good, your DM is smart. Only idiots would allow unblockable 70 force damage with a 1st level spell.

If it was actually allowed in the PHB, Evocers would be insanely overpowered.

Snarelure
Snarelure

enemy caster uses shield
Heh...nothin personell, kid

WebTool
WebTool

The level of the spell itself is irrelevant to the damage potential of it cast with higher spell slots.

Garbage Can Lid
Garbage Can Lid

Lol.
Lol, X-D. You're too dumb to realise what it means when the rest of the party is running away. You can't understand them.
Maneuver? You mean besides closer to the enemy?
Manoeuvre. Yes, I do mean besides closer to the enemy. Use your imagination if you have it.
Why wouldn't they know which targets are important? They may not know that Killiwrath the Necromancer is capable of casting dark magics (intelligence), but they do know he is the greatest threat to them (Wisdom).
He can see the target pretty well, figure out that it's hostile (Wisdom), but he doesn't understand what it means (Intelligence).
As we all know, a 2 intelligence means a lack of object permanence in the face of stone walls, or that t-rexes walk straight off cliffs in pursuit of prey.
You're at the level where you're too dumb to use stairs that go around, and instead try fruitlessly to reach something by jumping. Granted, you are pretty tall, but you don't have to take it literally.
See above.
See above.
+7 to Strength?
And +4 Constitution. Wow, great job. Maybe the Wizard won't bigby's hand you off a cliff but instead Charm or Banish you. You get no proficiency to your saves in T-Rex form.
Lol.
Haha lol, X-DD.
If you play with dimwitted DMs who play with every random enemy having a get-out-of-jail free card, it doesn't work. Don't play with dimwitted DMs, or DMs that ignore 3/4s of the monster manual.
Lol, x-DD, nice strawman.
It's ok, user; you can stop typing anytime.
I could say the same to you.

takes2long
takes2long

Well guys it's been a long journey but my first campaign is finally coming to a close.

Maybe none of you were here for this or remember it but I came to this general to ask what a complete brainlet should make for their first character. You guys said champion was the go-to choice and I mostly stuck to that. A 2-level detour into barbarian for reckless attack and I was critting with the best of them and those crits gave me extra attacks thanks to great weapon master.

Not much going on compared to some of the other characters but I thought the game was fun as fuck and I just thought I would let you guys know.

CouchChiller
CouchChiller

nothing uses Strength saves, enjoy getting Charmed

viagrandad
viagrandad

if you have 8 con does that actually reduce your HP per level?

Snarelure
Snarelure

Yes.

JunkTop
JunkTop

Lol, X-D. You're too dumb to realise what it means when the rest of the party is running away. You can't understand them.
First of all, that would be wisdom. Knowing that you're running to lure them into a trap would be intelligence, but running because "baddies hurt; want live" is wisdom. Not even counting how much faster you are by comparison. Second,if being a t-rex is an issue when running, you've done a major fuck-up. Thankfully, there's this wonderful thing called concentration that you can drop pretty much whenever you need your meatstick back to their senses.
Manoeuvre. Yes, I do mean besides closer to the enemy. Use your imagination if you have it.
Still no argument.
He can see the target pretty well, figure out that it's hostile (Wisdom), but he doesn't understand what it means (Intelligence).
They don't need to understand what they do, only that they need to bite and tail swipe THAT guy and not the lesser mooks. He can very much discern what is a greater threat; that whole concept is wrapped up in wisdom. A t-rex, even with its 2 Intelligence, can prioritize.
You're at the level where you're too dumb to use stairs that go around, and instead try fruitlessly to reach something by jumping. Granted, you are pretty tall, but you don't have to take it literally.
That is not true in the slightest.
And +4 Constitution. Wow, great job. Maybe the Wizard won't bigby's hand you off a cliff but instead Charm or Banish you. You get no proficiency to your saves in T-Rex form.
Ah yes: the ever-present cliff. Why push the dumb t-rex off when you can push the caster at advantage instead of risking a roll-off against a creature who's short a +1 to meet the hand's strength? And nothing that applies to the t-rex wouldn't also be a doomsday scenario for charming/banishing/pushing to their death the fighter or barbarian.

whereismyname
whereismyname

nothing uses Strength saves
There are, and there are even less Intelligence saves. What martial (probably getting the fighter/barbarian) has more than a +1 to Wisdom? And that's not even mentioning the fact that they need a spell geared towards beasts to charm as well. And if they do have a charm usable on beasts, you can drop the polymorph.

Illusionz
Illusionz

but running because "baddies hurt; want live" is wisdom
The problem isn't that you're hurting, it's that everyone else is, dumbass.
Yeah, you can drop concentration and face that you've wasted a spell slot instead of getting the I-WIN button you wanted.
Still no argument.
Sure, enjoy running straight at them in lines.
They don't need to understand what they do, only that they need to bite and tail swipe THAT guy and not the lesser mooks
Nope, you're too dumb to do tactics. Roll attack on the nearest target.
He can very much discern what is a greater threat; that whole concept is wrapped up in wisdom.
Okay, I'll let you roll Insight to see what the enemies think of you. 21? Yes, they're hostile.
A t-rex, even with its 2 Intelligence, can prioritize.
Sure, I'll let you prioritise running away if you're low on HP over attacking the nearest target.
That is not true in the slightest.
Yes it is. You are literally dumber than a housecat in the rules, you will not be able to do anything except run at things in straight lines and bite them. "Run around the pillar to bite at the man shooting arrows at you" is literally too abstract of a concept for you to grasp.
Ah yes: the ever-present cliff.
Exactly, too bad you're too slow to realise the ever-present cliff would aid YOUR side of the argument, as you save against Bigby's hand with STRENGTH.
Why push the dumb t-rex off when you can push the caster at advantage instead of risking a roll-off against a creature who's short a +1 to meet the hand's strength? And nothing that applies to the t-rex wouldn't also be a doomsday scenario for charming/banishing/pushing to their death the fighter or barbarian.
Because fighters, barbarians and other martials likely have a lot better saves to counter the spells' effects, or traits and abilities that help (indomitable, mindless rage etc), and the Mage could have used his concentration on something that helps their saves, if it's a known weak point.

kizzmybutt
kizzmybutt

Do you guys wait to make a character until you have a campaign set? I'm looking for a game and not sure if I should just start crafting my character now

BinaryMan
BinaryMan

The problem isn't that you're hurting, it's that everyone else is, dumbass.
Then why did you use polymorph?
Yeah, you can drop concentration and face that you've wasted a spell slot instead of getting the I-WIN button you wanted.
See above, user.
Sure, enjoy running straight at them in lines.
It is fairly effective for a death machine.
Nope, you're too dumb to do tactics. Roll attack on the nearest target.
I hope you realize you just said attacking the biggest threat is a tactic too large for a beast to understand.
Okay, I'll let you roll Insight to see what the enemies think of you. 21? Yes, they're hostile.
???
Sure, I'll let you prioritise running away if you're low on HP over attacking the nearest target.
Imagine grasping for straws so hard you go for one of the things your character keeps: personality. If you're courageous as an ally, then you're courageous as a t-rex.
Yes it is. You are literally dumber than a housecat in the rules, you will not be able to do anything except run at things in straight lines and bite them.
Niggah, you dumb.
Exactly, too bad you're too slow to realise the ever-present cliff would aid YOUR side of the argument, as you save against Bigby's hand with STRENGTH.
Ok, here's some math for you.
Level 8+ = +3 proficiency (or higher, depending on level) + 5 strength - 5 (tied with Bigby at disadvantage if Medium) = +3 save
T-rex = +7 save (straight roll)
In no way does the presence of a cliff aid my side of the argument because the idea that you would utilize polymorph to counter bigby's is one of the stupidiest things I've heard since you tried arguing that polymorph is not a game-changer.
indomitable
Now maybe tied with the t-rex.
mindless rage
Berserker, holy shit user.
etc.
Please go on.
the Mage could have used his concentration on something that helps their saves, if it's a known weak point.
There is no mage, user.

girlDog
girlDog

Is Light Cleric good? I feel like playing a caster cleric and Knowledge doesn't interest me, Arcana seems best for a gish and Grave is okay but I can't think of any cool gods for it. Was probably going to go Lathander if I go Light.

Ignoramus
Ignoramus

play forge!

PurpleCharger
PurpleCharger

Then why did you use polymorph?
Because you probably misread something in the spell description or monster statistics. That's usually the reason.
It is fairly effective for a death machine.
Sure, but situational.
I hope you realize you just said attacking the biggest threat is a tactic too large for a beast to understand.
Yes. You don't realise what the biggest threat is, you attack the thing that is nearest, the tastiest, or most threatening. Not the biggest threat. And before you even start, "most threatening" does not mean "biggest threat". Yelling fighter is far more threatening than a quiet rogue.
???
You can't rules lawyer your way out of being a dumb lizard.
personality. If you're courageous as an ally, then you're courageous as a t-rex.
Yes, you don't suddenly attack your allies if you turn into a T-Rex. How courageous of you.
Niggah, you dumb.
I'm not the one who polymorphed into a T-rex.
Ok, here's some math for you.
Advantage on STR checks and saves when raging.
In no way does the presence of a cliff aid my side of the argument because the idea that you would utilize polymorph to counter bigby's is one of the stupidiest things I've heard since you tried arguing that polymorph is not a game-changer.
First of all, stop putting words into my mouth. I never said that you'd counter Bigby with Polymorph.
You responded "+7 STR" when I said that it has awful saves. Your argument. Maybe not attack the T-Rex with STR save effects?
Berserker, holy shit user.
Yeah, ignore everything that could possibly undermine your side of the argument.
Please go on.
Easy. Magic items that protect the user from effects. Potions.
There is no mage, user.
Semantics.

StrangeWizard
StrangeWizard

access to the big hurty fire spells
reaction to impose disadvantage to attacks against you
solid AoE damage channel divinity
wis to cantrip damage
looks pretty good to me.

Nojokur
Nojokur

I DM a lot, and I've noticed that players love interrupting each other's actions with "BEFORE YOU DO THAT!". For instance, Player A will say "I will do/use X!", and then Player B shouts "BEFORE YOU DO THAT". I sort of want to crack down on this not least because it takes up a lot of time and discourages players from doing stuff before the neurotic planners and tacticians have had their say.

Attached: 1512063693673.jpg (33 KB, 499x474)

Garbage Can Lid
Garbage Can Lid

Tell them to stop and/or force them to blow reactions to do that if they're reacting to a player doing something

CodeBuns
CodeBuns

Being able to dump 11D8 guaranteed damage (through psychic assault) 4 times in a day for example is nothing to scoff at.
Putting aside how it doesn't actually let you do that (because maybe it will in a later draft), yes, 11d8 damage is something to scoff at. That's a really tame use of what amounts to your 8th level spell slot.

whereismyname
whereismyname

Basically this, let them use reactions. This way they maintain agency by having 1 reaction to the situation.
Lets say we have players A, B and C

Player A wants to do something, player B wants to do something before him and uses reaction, player A can use reaction to regain control of situation.
Player A wants to do something, player B wants to do something before him and uses reaction, player A can use reaction to regain control of situation, player C agrees with player B that player A is dumb and uses his own reaction to intervene.

Alternatively make them roll initiative whenever there are players who want to jump in ahead of someone else.

Lunatick
Lunatick

Make them roll initiative. Whoever gets higher goes first. If it's a fast character, it may be completely in character to do something stupid before someone else does something smart.

Boy_vs_Girl
Boy_vs_Girl

Let's decide this once and for all

strawpoll.me/15386852

5mileys
5mileys

Still better than monk/bard

Playboyize
Playboyize

Thank you. I should have been clearer. The main problem is mostly that Player A will say "I do X", but then the others interrupt and will want to completely change the plan. "No no no, don't do X, we need to do Y instead!". So it's a question of whether I need to be harsher and say, "Well, Player A declared what he is doing so that's what's happening", or if I accept that they're just interrupting and planning until they're satisfied with their plan of action.

Methshot
Methshot

This is literally what initiative is for.
b-but i wanna use my intelligence to think fast and-
Fine roll initiative using int instead if dex.

Flameblow
Flameblow

No, cause that's a specific class feature for war wizards

WebTool
WebTool

This can also happen before initiative is even rolled. It was relevant yesterday where a guy wanted to climb up a ladder and literally said "I climb up!", but then the others interrupted and wanted to do something else.

Illusionz
Illusionz

Hol' up... did they remove Shield?
'cause that's the only way this could be op. If Shield still exists, then no amount of magic missile minmax matters.

Lunatick
Lunatick

Make them RP it out. Unless they try to convince him otherwise or physically pull him down he just gets climbing.
Now how to get your players to RP is another topic which is quite huge, and you can read/watch a lot about online since its a common problem. When I first encountered it as a brand new DM I started running the game as a TV series would kind of feel and look like (describing angles, transitions, cuts to other characters in other places in the middle of an intense situation for a player, etc). It got the players to feel like they are playing characters on a show and thus act that way.

Boy_vs_Girl
Boy_vs_Girl

Because you probably misread something in the spell description or monster statistics. That's usually the reason.
Thanks for agreeing?
Sure, but situational.
You mean in the situations where you want to kill the enemy?
You can't rules lawyer your way out of being a dumb lizard.
What you listed as an example is baffling and in no way suggested nor supported by the rules. See Feeblemind if you need an example of what a low Intelligence is still capable of doing.
Yes, you don't suddenly attack your allies if you turn into a T-Rex. How courageous of you.
Attacking your allies relates to your poor excuse of running away how?
I'm not the one who polymorphed into a T-rex.
See rules lawyer response.
Advantage on STR checks and saves when raging.
So you're tied with the t-rex. And it doesn't even address the other martial classes.
Easy. Magic items that protect the user from effects.
Like...?
Potions.
"Here Mr. Dominated Martial; drink this potion to free yourself from their control."
First of all, stop putting words into my mouth. I never said that you'd counter Bigby with Polymorph.
brings up Bigby's Hand as a counter to a t-rex example
You responded "+7 STR" when I said that it has awful saves. Your argument. Maybe not attack the T-Rex with STR save effects?
says the user who brought up Bigby's
Yeah, ignore everything that could possibly undermine your side of the argument.
The one barbarian class worse than zerker is battlerager, and that's reaching. If you're fighting against an enemy capable of doing the ideal scenario against you, then it's fine. But if you've frenzied once, just once, your advantage gets nullified with a single point of exhaustion. Now stop being bad at the game.
Semantics.
If you can't keep your terminology straight, why should anyone take your argument seriously?

I get it, user. Someone's proved you wrong on the internet. You can walk away from the keyboard and still keep your pride.

girlDog
girlDog

Putting aside how it doesn't actually let you do that
Why would it not? It doesn't say that you're limited by your PSI limit, and that you can use the points on one discipline or spread them around.

That's a really tame use of what amounts to your 8th level spell slot.
The most damaging single-target spell I can think of is Finger of Death, which is 7D8+30, which is 61.5 average damage, but it can be resisted, which has an average damage of 30.75. 11D8 guaranteed is 49.5 average damage. It's really great against creatures with high AC or saving throws.

Bidwell
Bidwell

This can also happen before initiative is even rolled
Yeah, I understood what you meant. Make the characters roll inititiative against each other, and let the character with higher initiative move first. People make snap decisions without having time to discuss the best course of action.

kizzmybutt
kizzmybutt

Outside of initiative assume simultaneous action, but never allow somebody to interrupt somebody else. First come first served, and the PLAYER CHARACTER DESCRIBES THEIR ACTION!

Firespawn
Firespawn

Great job getting that much effort out of me, but you haven't addressed even a single point I made. I'll stop feeding you now.

FastChef
FastChef

Thanks for your time, user; looking forward to help you learn the next time you say some stupid shit.

Attached: the-look.jpg (255 KB, 612x612)

JunkTop
JunkTop

I don't think this is quite right either. Characters can act on top of each other, and if you have the faster character, you get to go first.

Spazyfool
Spazyfool

Dexfags pls stop. Str characters go first and cannot be stopped.

Lord_Tryzalot
Lord_Tryzalot

Well you think of a fairer way to solve this without having the players shout on top of each other when they want to act at the same time.

Evilember
Evilember

Is there any amazing mechanical benefit to learning a creatures typing? Does that ever factor into anyone's games?

Or is it usually just "Cool, that angel thing is clearly a celestial/that wild creature is clearly a Beast!" kinda thing? AKA just flavor?

Attached: Identification-Visor.png (164 KB, 419x349)

ZeroReborn
ZeroReborn

It doesn't say you can exceed your psi point limit and psychic assault doesn't say you can spend as many points as you want on it. It says you spend 1-7.

And an Evoker can deal more damage than that with magic missile starting from a 4th level slot for 6 missiles, which can also be split up and aimed at diferent targets for precise application of damage. Their area blasts like sunburst, fireball, or incendiary cloud deal similar damage as your single target effect.

Psychic blast and psychic crush are by far the stronger effects in that discipline.

eGremlin
eGremlin

Chainlock hold monster invocation, Cleric's turning, Arcana Cleric's turning, Nature Cleric's beast control, spells that target certain creature types and various Paladin abilities.

That's all I can think of that would be useful to know a creatures type. Most things like Ranger's favored enemy bonuses are applied whether you know the type or not.

Methshot
Methshot

There's also behaviour, kinda. If you see a red tiger and identify it's type, if it's beast you'll probably be able to discourage it from attacking by fleeing/intimidation/bait. If it's monstrosity, you can cautiously assume it's intelligent. If it's a fiend, the fucker is probably actually looking for you and you should dispatch it. If the little girl asking you to help find her parents on the road pings as an aberration...

King_Martha
King_Martha

Alright so I'm pretty dumb but what the fuck does charm actually let you do? I know it makes the things you charm but how do you use that outside of social situations?

happy_sad
happy_sad

What is Booming Blade

w8t4u
w8t4u

Actively looking for a job, you fucking bum.

iluvmen
iluvmen

player wants to play an hermit warlock who is this kind of asshole who has spent decades resenting the rest of humanity and worshipping his demon patron
would it make sense to change his spellcasting ability from charisma to wisdom? Because there is no fucking way a character like that would be charismatic

TreeEater
TreeEater

It doesn't say you can exceed your psi point limit and psychic assault doesn't say you can spend as many points as you want on it. It says you spend 1-7.
It doesn't, but it does say that you can dump all the points in a single discipline, and other features explicitly state that you must abide by your psi limit while Psi mastery lacks that line.

And an Evoker can deal more damage than that with magic missile starting from a 4th level slot for 6 missiles,
Wasn't this errata'd? Regardless, it's blocked by Shield and can be counterspelled.
which can also be split up and aimed at diferent targets for precise application of damage.
Which you can also do with Psi mastery, as you can activate the same discipline multiple times. Compare to activating Energy Adaptation twice for 5 pts. each to give two creatures resistance to an element, which should be legal.

Their area blasts like sunburst, fireball, or incendiary cloud deal similar damage as your single target effect.
Sunburst and fireball are only 6d6 when resisted and Incendiary Cloud does 5d8 when resisted, and takes concentration. Besides, I was talking specifically about unresistable single-target damage. There are higher damage options in other disciplines, if you want to risk halving the damage through a failed save. Why are you treating this as such a dick-waving competition anyway?

Evilember
Evilember

its completely a spell for social situations, not everything has to be geared for combat

RumChicken
RumChicken

Charmed individuals won't attack you. It's a form of control.

Charisma isn't just being gregarious and social, it's also the force of your personality.

StonedTime
StonedTime

What about charming beasts or plants?

Nojokur
Nojokur

I assumed you meant the spell charm person

Stark_Naked
Stark_Naked

Why do people say battle master gets more crits?

Harmless_Venom
Harmless_Venom

So it's a situational thing.Good! That's exactly what I wanted it to be. I hope the player likes building up his !NotPokedex in his !NotIronman Suit.

Thank you for clearing that up!

Attached: aaron-de-leon-visormech-02.jpg (151 KB, 1096x1033)

Lord_Tryzalot
Lord_Tryzalot

it's also the force of your personality.
there is no way an antisocial guy who never had contact with other humans would have a developed personality

but to be honest my real question should have been "would there be problems if I changed his spellcasting stat from charisma to wisdom?"

Inmate
Inmate

Crits 10% / 15% of the time instead of 5%
Gets more attacks

kizzmybutt
kizzmybutt

Hello, my dudes! I wanted to homebrew iaijutsu (when a dude quickly draws his superior japanese longsword and strikes in one motion) monastic tradition and here what I came up with. He is more like Sword Saint Samurai archetype rather than Iaijutsu Master from 3e. Any critique will be appreciated - messed up wording, grammatical errors, balance issues.
I know you are keen on homebrewing, so I need your help please.

Attached: Way-of-the-Swift-Blade.jpg (388 KB, 1670x855)

Emberburn
Emberburn

there is no way an antisocial guy who never had contact with other humans would have a developed personality
He doesn't have to be completely sane. Charisma is not just being social, it's keeping your persona together while interacting with others. It's hard to explain, but think about why spells like Banishment target Charisma instead of Wisdom, and why Sorcerers use Charisma as their spellcasting attribute.

but to be honest my real question should have been "would there be problems if I changed his spellcasting stat from charisma to wisdom?"
I don't think you're breaking anything, but I'd ask why you would do that. You're complicating things for no real reason.

BlogWobbles
BlogWobbles

It's hard to explain
indeed

PurpleCharger
PurpleCharger

I meant the charm status in general.

whereismyname
whereismyname

That's champion.

Nojokur
Nojokur

It's control.

Illusionz
Illusionz

You dont have to have a very developed personality to have a strong one.

Dreamworx
Dreamworx

actually I think you are the one twisting it terribly

Attached: Captura.png (162 KB, 469x146)

Booteefool
Booteefool

fuuuuuu

brb, making coffee.

Emberfire
Emberfire

Nice! I like your use of the Martial Arts die as bonus damage. Here's my version that I drew up, never actually ran it / tested it though.

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/B1-L3BTod

BlogWobbles
BlogWobbles

There's an operative word 'can' there. It CAN represent a charming or commanding personality. Let me ask you why spells that banish creatures to other planes target Charisma if it only measured sociability? Do you persuade the spell to not take effect on you or something? Why do you resist the Confusing Gaze of Umber Hulks with your Charisma if it only represented how people find you, do you seductively wink at the Umber Hulk while it stares at you? Do Sorcerers goad their innate powers into taking effect? No, Charisma is not just how well you can talk to people.

StonedTime
StonedTime

Lost Mines of Phandelver

hairygrape
hairygrape

Why aren't greatswords 1d12?

Sharpcharm
Sharpcharm

2D6 is higher average damage. If you want to use a greatsword for thematic reasons on your barbarian, talk with your DM.

LuckyDusty
LuckyDusty

I tried something retarded, and made a Fighter Archetype in the vein of WoW Rogues with combo points. Does this "work" or is it trash?

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HJb63wvDLW

eGremlin
eGremlin

1d12 can roll a 1. 2d6 can't.
Waiting for that 3d4 weapon, my dudes

PurpleCharger
PurpleCharger

1d12 has linear dispersion, 2d6- a bell curve. 2d6 is better.

BunnyJinx
BunnyJinx

as I said, you are twisting and complicating it

not that it makes you wrong, you are probably right, but still

Stark_Naked
Stark_Naked

Wow, I never stopped reading a homebrew after the first line before, this is a record. Rename it.

Spamalot
Spamalot

Isn't 5etools supposed to have the stream stuff? I can't find the order cleric i could have sworn I saw it before

farquit
farquit

talk to your DM
why the fuck would a barbarian using a greatsword be so weird that it requires the DM's permission?
tell me a single thing that says barbarians can't use greatswords, it even fits thematically

Attached: DF-344.jpg (60 KB, 500x509)

Methshot
Methshot

Zweihänder
3d4
Heavy, Two-Handed

There you go.

Evilember
Evilember

You're way off the rails, man. There's nothing preventing a Barbarian from using greatswords, but their Brutal Critical only gets one extra weapon damage die when you roll a crit, so it scales far better with greataxes.

9th level barb critting with a greatsword = 5d6+mods
9th level barb critting with a greataxe = 3d12+mods
3d12>5d6

Spazyfool
Spazyfool

you didn't answer the question
muh optimization
I asked why you would have to ask the DM to use a greatsword with your barbarian

Lunatick
Lunatick

Can a rogue fighter multiclass use the scout's ability to move in response to foes approaching them combined with the battle master's riposte?

Soft_member
Soft_member

Talk to your DM if you want to change the 2D6 of a greatsword to match the 1D12 of a greataxe, you fucking retard.

Happy?

massdebater
massdebater

yes

idontknow
idontknow

You only have one reaction, so no.

Deadlyinx
Deadlyinx

oh come on, it can't be that bad
that class name
jesus christ

Attached: real-shit.png (102 KB, 305x249)

Emberfire
Emberfire

What sort of weapon would require 1d20 damage?

PurpleCharger
PurpleCharger

costs more than double
more weight
exactly same stats
why the fuck would anyone ever use a scimitar instead of a short sword?
Asinine, this is why I use generic weapon stats instead

Attached: Captura.png (69 KB, 635x49)

Spazyfool
Spazyfool

It does slashing instead of piercing I guess. The real bullshit is the trident compared to the spear.

Stark_Naked
Stark_Naked

9th level barb critting with a greatsword = 5d6+mods
5d6
I just googled it and you indeed roll just *one* additional die with brutal critical and similar crit boosting abilities. Never knew that - crits are even more shit in this edition now.

Garbage Can Lid
Garbage Can Lid

I mean. I like the idea of battlemaster-like Rogue. But those names, man.

viagrandad
viagrandad

Why are you treating this as such a dick-waving competition anyway?
Because you were waving your dick around like it's so amazing. It isn't.

5mileys
5mileys

Why is a scimitar a light weapon anyway? Scimitars are not exactly off-hand weapons, they are hard hitting cavalry weapons.

cum2soon
cum2soon

It also makes no sense flavour wise. Why would a bloodthirsty lunatic possess a style which requires both tactical acumen and deft martial skills.

lostmypassword
lostmypassword

Slashing is generally better then Piercing on a Finesse weapon.

Simply because bows already do piercing damage, meaning if you cheaped out on a bow and a shortsword on a DEX character you would be fucked against piercing resistant enemies.

It's not a good reason and I agree the entire weapons system needs to be redone, but I imagine that's the reason they have for it.

Playboyize
Playboyize

I said it's nothing to scoff at. Then you scoffed at it.

PackManBrainlure
PackManBrainlure

Pretty sure you roll both d6 for a greatsword. I mean. In this case damage die is not the actual die, but the entire 2d6.

Emberburn
Emberburn

crits are even more shit in this edition now.

The way I roll crits is you automatically get max weapon damage, and then roll all additional dice.

So, for an 18 strength Warrior with a Greataxe
12 + 1d12 + 4

Same goes for Rogue with Sneak attack, max die damage, plus roll a set of dice.

Evilember
Evilember

No. But you can sneak attack-riposte with a Swashbuckler.

VisualMaster
VisualMaster

In a thread where most "how do I make X in 5e" questions are met with "Just refluff it as Y", you guys are hung up on names and descriptions?

At least shit on any part of the mechanics so I can make adjustments. Flavor is literally the biggest non-issue.

TechHater
TechHater

Can't you do that with any rogue if you have blade mastery?

New_Cliche
New_Cliche

Pretty sure you roll both d6 for a greatsword
You don't. It's explicitly one extra damage die, and greatsword has two damage dice. Die = singular, dice = plural.

You're of course free to homebrew it if you feel it's unfair.

iluvmen
iluvmen

I really wish 5e had an acolyte of the skin kind of deal but there really isn't anything that can be fluffed that way.

PackManBrainlure
PackManBrainlure

but flavor IS an issue, as we just demonstrated you right now

FastChef
FastChef

Does defensive duelist work with plate armor?

Harmless_Venom
Harmless_Venom

Does it say it doesn't?

Spamalot
Spamalot

ditto this

viagrandad
viagrandad

Sure, but Swashbuckler seems to be the best subclass to combine with the Battlemaster anyway. Blade Master is a cool feat, true, but I'd probably go for ASIs when multiclassing Fighter/Rogue.

PackManBrainlure
PackManBrainlure

Yeah, we're definitely ignoring this. Greatsword is nerfed enough with it's lower chance for max damage, it's enough already.

Flameblow
Flameblow

but I'd probably go for ASIs when multiclassing Fighter/Rogue.
I'm the DM making an NPC and I've given my players a bonus starting feat so using the same character creation rules I can give this guy blade mastery.

CodeBuns
CodeBuns

I want the stream stuff. Or unironically food and provisions, just for the memes.

Raving_Cute
Raving_Cute

Turns out its the difference between the phone and desktop version of the site.

Emberburn
Emberburn

Oh, then go nuts. Free feat at the start might be a little overpowered for my taste, but if you give it to NPCs and players both, it's perfectly fair.

TurtleCat
TurtleCat

Free feat at the start might be a little overpowered for my taste
I get your point but I like giving players more customization choices.

DeathDog
DeathDog

stream stuff
Warlord? Fuck that overpowered bullshit.

AwesomeTucker
AwesomeTucker

So flavor wise it'd work better as Navy Seal - Guerrilla Fighter - Specialist - name-for-this-unit-in-your-setting.

Got it. Now that we can move past the hangup of flavor and names, do you see any other balance issues mechanically with the class features of this archetype.

JunkTop
JunkTop

I hope you banned things like Sharpshooter and GWM/PAM for those feats.

whereismyname
whereismyname

Tradition.
So they are mechanically different from great axes.
To add more rerollable dice for Great Weapon Fighting.

Sir_Gallonhead
Sir_Gallonhead

I didn't ban them but my players picked noncombat stuff.

haveahappyday
haveahappyday

Zweihanders are greatswords. At least come up with something that isn't just "German name for greatsword" for this.

StonedTime
StonedTime

You know he did more than that right?

VisualMaster
VisualMaster

4 attacks per round
less than cantrip and bonus attack

DeathDog
DeathDog

Kanabo?
Flamberge?
Nodachi?

King_Martha
King_Martha

why?
german greatswords are vastly different from spanish espada ropera or japanese katana and let me tell you neither of them are the same as longswords

DeathDog
DeathDog

What's the best Twinned Spell to use for a L2 sorcerer?

Right now I have Shield, Sleep, Shield of Faith, Burning Hands and Misty Step. Only Shield of Faith qualifies, but I can trade one out.

Raving_Cute
Raving_Cute

Because 5e went into simplicity in the weapons chart- there are 5 swords. Shortsword, for small stabby swords. Scimitar, for small slashy swords. Rapier, for bigger stabby sword. Longsword, for bigger slashy sword usuable in one hand or two for extra damage. Greatsword, for any large, two handed sword.

Gone are Falchion, Bastard Sword, and any other more exotic sword. Whatever the sword you're using looks like, it falls into one of those 5 categories, because weapons are really simple now.

Nodachi would also be a poor choice. I think it translates right to "big sword"

Burnblaze
Burnblaze

Sure they are greatswords but what you are saying is the equivalent of claiming there should be no short and longswords because they can all be brought under the title of sword.

Two handed swords are a pretty big category. Zweihanders were used to break up pike blocks as were Claymores. Other greatswords were used as dueling blades or guardsmen weapons. Odachi were used as big fuck off cutting swords.

Emberfire
Emberfire

Poison is one of the most common damage types, and suggestion is incredibly useful outside of combat. Yuan Ti are definitely OP

RumChicken
RumChicken

Mind spike is 3d8 vs wisdom, and you also get to track target for an hour.

DeathDog
DeathDog

Big Stabby, Small Stabby, Big Slashy, Small Slashy, Big Whacky, Small Whacky

New 5e weapons table

Deadlyinx
Deadlyinx

Green flame blade, then multi class into rogue for sneak attack (you can only sneak attack ones a turn but still) and/or a class with a fighting style for dualist, take fighter so you can get to action surge.

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Confirm your age

This website may contain content of an adult nature. If you are under the age of 18, if such content offends you or if it is illegal to view such content in your community, please EXIT.

Enter Exit

About Privacy

We use cookies to personalize content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyze our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners.

Accept Exit