Career advice

Give it to me straight, Veeky Forums. Is it too late to become a doctor at 31?

I fucked up my first go at university (useless degree whose job potential was greatly exaggerated by the faculty) and now I'm stuck with a horrible job that is going to ruin my health and make me kill myself in the long run. I'm seriously thinking of going for one of the "good" degrees, and medicine seems the best.

In my country university wouldn't cost much (something like 8k in total) but it would take at least 5-6 years. I'd be a 37 year old guy who just graduated medicine. Would I even find internships, residences, hospitals willing to hire me at that point?

>inb4 buy [shitcoin] and retire eoy
I have 25k dollars in crypto, but I only started a month and a half ago, so I'm afraid I missed the chance to make it with only crypto (even though I already got a 70% ROI). I need a plan B.

Just learn JS and become a webshit. It's quick, easy, and you don't need any paper qualifications, just some example projects to prove you know how to do it.

Not sure this would work in my country but thanks. It seems like a good idea to learn some programming language.

You already have a degree and unrelated work experience, so go back for a degree in biochem and knock out those med school requirements out the way. It'll probably take you 3 years, since you already have a B.S. already. Med school takes 4 years, and then residency takes a few more years. You'll be in your late 40s as a new doctor. Not too crazy.

I'm not a US citizen. Here medicine takes 6 years.

>You'll be in your late 40s as a new doctor.
WTF? I'm 31 now. Late 30s you mean I hope.

Is really that easy? After hearing about a friend of mine making good money quite easily after studying for only 6 months (he was a disaster at programming back in university) I'm tempted to drop my shitty designer job.

Oh, I misread and thought you were already 37. If it only takes 6 years, and that's your lambo ticket then go for it. In America, becoming a physician assistant is the easiest way to make 6 figures with a nice job that's not too crazy.

Yeah, just make sure you learn the latest meme frameworks.

No.

I spent the last few weeks depressed and anguished about my future and the doors that were closing because of my age, but you're giving me hope, Veeky Forums. Are you the nicest board on 4chink?

And nobody called me a faggot yet.

Why the fuck do u want to be a doctor ita the shittiest fucking stupid outdated job and doctors are stupidiest closed minded fags alive

T. Doctor, just kill me pls

You can make it. I dropped out of university because I make really good gains in crypto.

I saw guys like you. Even older, becoming judges.

It's not too late, but I'll become harder and harder as you grow old.

And btw I want to come back to studying after crypto. Studying in something you love, no money can replace that.

How old will you be in 5-6 years if you DON'T become a doctor. Go for it!

What's so horrible about being a doctor?

I mean, nurse, I get it. Cleaning shit all day etc. But doctor is maybe the most prestigious career one can hope for, isn't it? And the money is great.

Dont fell for the prestige meme

It was prestige 30 years ago, the fad might still be there but there is nothing prestige about it. I was thinking that too and it ruined my life.

Doctors are glorified plumbers

Thanks, guys. I will do it for you.

You on the other hand, are scaring me. Glorified plumbers? How? Is the job repetitive? What kind of doctor are you?

will you face a little bias bc of your age when it comes time to apply for residencies? yeah, probably, but I've never met an unemployed physician, you will make it. but do you really want it? there are equally stable, good paying jobs that you can get to in a much shorter time frame

Don't go for medicine. It's too many years to get your degree and then your specialization.

If you think you have the way of thinking for medicine (creativity, recognizing the core issue and problem solving skills), then go for law.

Lawyers go through exactly the same process. Symptoms -> potential disease -> potential remedy -> repeat

Every case and every client is different and keeps you engaged.

Its repetitive af

You are going to spend majority of time typing shit into computer because nobody can actually innovate this field organizationwise (europe, dunno about th rest). There is almost no imagination or creativity in this field, pharma is cuckong u, insurance is cucking u.

I am quiting it

There is better money to be made in more exciting and less stressfull jobs but u dont get to spout around everywhere that you are ‘muh doctor’ but fuck that really.
Times are changing

>there are equally stable, good paying jobs that you can get to in a much shorter time frame
Please tell me which ones. I've been racking my brain and I couldn't find them.

Do you think you'll enjoy the subject material and the eventual pay off enough to warrant the time commitment? If so, go for it. I believe in you dude.

There's nothing a doctor does that couldn't be done better by an AI. It's a shame that there's too much policies and regulations preventing them from being replaced now, but it's only a matter of time. Only surgeons are actually useful.

> horrible job that is going to ruin my health and make me kill myself in the long run

You couldnt have define medicine better
You wagecuck beyond your imagination, loose absolutely everything, after 11 years of this you get comfy salary, but 90% chance your slavery will continue. It has bright sides as well, but if you are in it for the money and good life, stay the fuck away.

>There is better money to be made in more exciting and less stressfull jobs
Which ones?
(I also live in Europe, so your jobs are prolly going to be my jobs too.)

This. Listen to this guy
10% of the job is awesome 90% is nigger slave monkey , who takes legal and financial responsibility for people being mortal
t. Doctor

All things tech basically

Dont go for medicine user

Its very different from what u might imagine it to be, you are going to be disapointed. I wish it were better but it isnt really

Thinga could be done 2000% better, just gotta wait until google or whatever comes and make a monopoly in healthcare

This one My father is a doctor. I became a lawyer. I've come to realize that we have more in common than I thought.

A degree in law lets you do anything you want, it's like a degree in economics/management, only it's actually useful.

Assuming you have an interest in whatever field you were working in before, you can even work in that same field as a lawyer or legal advisor.

If you're someone who understands math or science, you're instantly hardcore competition for lawyers with more work experience who only ever focused on latin and history, as you can actually understand a specialized set of problems instead of spewing legal jargon all day.

If you want to make it, you will work long hours. Fuck every LARPer in here talking about comfy easy going jobs. If you want to make a name for yourself, you work for it.

Go for it faggot. And be the best motherfucking doctor you can be. Make us proud.

>Do you think you'll enjoy the subject material and the eventual pay off enough to warrant the time commitment?
I like the science behind medicine (although I was always weak at math and physics, so I'll have to study hard to pass the entrance exam, which is pretty damn hard).
And at this point it's not even a matter of liking the material, it's a matter of survival.

My current job forces me to work 8 hours shifts standing up in the cold. Just standing up. 99% of the times I just stare at the void thinking about how badly I justed myself. They call it "security", even though none of us ever does anything useful.
The shifts are irregular and unpredictable (they tell us our shift 24 hours before), and often we have to work 16 hours a day. Or 8 hours, then a few hours of rest, then another 8 hours shift. Plus, I have to commute (1 hour each trip) and often pay a room in a motel of my own pocket, if I have to stay the night.
The pay is barely sufficient to go on, promotion opportunities are holograms projected by our superiors to keep us complacent and eager to slave for them.
Plus, my knees and back are already starting to get fucked up because of the endless standing in the same position.
But the most horrible effects are the psychological ones. I dread waking up. I was never the anxious type, now I get panick attacks thinking that this will be my life forever.
I can't find a single positive thing in this hell. If I'm still here next year, I WILL kill myself.

>I'd be a 37 year old guy who just graduated medicine. Would I even find internships, residences, hospitals willing to hire me at that point?

Yeah. Thats average age for med field.

Just do it you'll be fine

>10% of the job is awesome 90% is nigger slave monkey
Lol. Even that would be a big step up from my current 100% nigger slave monkey job.

I tried to develop an interest in law, but it seems one of those subject that I just can't put into my head. I can read a biology chapter and remember 80% of it after a week, but if I read a page of law 5 times, I don't remember anything the next day. I really don't think I could ever get a law degree.
(Plus, in my country there are a shitload of people with a law degree but working dead end jobs or even unemployed. That particular degree is inflationated here.)

>All things tech basically
So programming really is the best option, you think? The fastest and cheapest, since it doesn't really require a university degree?

Nogger med isnt just biology

I fucking loved biology, med school is hardest thing I ever did and I consider myself being a fucking genius

Yes

You dont even have to be a programmer go for whatever there are like millions random meme positions in tech

I will, Veeky Forums. For you.

(Of course making it will be much simpler if ICX, XML, ADA or ZRX manage to 100x in the next couple of years.)

reddit is the gayest place on the internet.

SWE > Doctor

My RSU's are worth more than 5 years of shitty doctor salary.

It's not to late to do anything at that age.
Obviously a career in sports is out of the question.
Anyone that says otherwise is in the very early 20s or younger and doesn't know shit about life.

OP idk if you are in usa, but I had two cousins that went STRAIGHT through college then doctor shit and they were like 29 when they finally became doctors. So you need like 6-8 years beyond bachlerors of school/intern etc.

Consider nursing or PA dead srs

SWE?

There goes my acrobatic ice-skating dream.

You’re better off getting a college diploma/associates degree in some IT related field. You can finish in like under 2 years and most jobs start at 30 an hour.

Here lots of people manage to graduate as doctors at 24-25. So about 6 years.

Are you greek?

Law isn't at all about memorization of anything. Law changes literally every day. You only learn where and how to look for what is applicable, then the real part is how to apply it.

Same shit for medicine, no doctor actually *remembers* how to treat everything, but they *know* how to treat everything

Programming is literally $0 cost. You need the discipline to keep yourself focused and keep practicing and studying. Learn the fundamentals, learn a niche popular technology, go either for front end or back end specialization, don't get baited or lost in full stack dreams. I suggest front end, as it's slightly less math heavy.

Pros :
Still one of the best paying professions (after 10 years of grind)
Status is still nice
You get to bang some nurses
Cons :
8hrs topkek. Try 32 hrs no sleep getting called nonstop to solve dying people. You write down every fucking step you do. Then some fucker evaluates in hindsight to get you into jail for one wrong decision.
Psychological effects.Our ward psychologist is reserved for patients and that bitch is nonstop with female docs who cry on her shoulder. Female docs break down crying all the time. I know few who snapped and just ran away from the city during the disastrous night shift. Its no joke user. It sounds noble, but reality is different. But if you think you can do it, go for it.

>med school is hardest thing I ever did
What was the hardest part?

Its never to late to learn something new. If you feel unhappy in your job better change today than tomorrow.

I learned somethin, was unhappy and started university with 28.

My waifu is 30 unhappy with what she learned (actually what I started with 28 - we met at university) and she is changing now as well.

Do it, user! But dont do medicine because it "seems" the best. Do something you love, become very good at it, and then the money will follow!

>are you greek?
Almost as bad. Italian. (Our current youth unemployment rate is 32%).

>full stack dreams
Wat.png

Memorizing 1000 pages long books

Drop design! Its seems cool, but unless you are some shootig start you wil be moving pixels in some company limited by their corporate design and it is as boring as selling insurances.

>Studying in something you love, no money can replace that.

Exactly that

>8hrs topkek. Try 32 hrs no sleep getting called nonstop to solve dying people.
See, that actually sounds better than 8 hours of nothingness. It's the utter lack of meaning in my job that kills me. If we spent those 8 hours actually doing something (anything), then it wouldn't be the torture it is.
Did you ever have to wait for 8 hours in a waiting room somewhere with no cellphone, nothing to read or do? Just wait, alone, in complete boredom? Do you remember how awful and oddly tiring that was? That's my job every shift. For 7 euros an hour. It's obnubilating.
Frankly, chaotic night shifts with people requiring your help sounds like a dream at this point.

>Female docs break down crying all the time. I know few who snapped and just ran away from the city during the disastrous night shift.
The few women at my job are also a bother. They create lots of unnecessary drama and fight with everyone. (That's probably their way of dealing with their boredom.)