/qfg/ - Quantitative Finance General

>no meme lines edition
Thread for the discussion/sharing/learning of statistical arbitrage, quantitative investment management, algorithmic trading, and electronic market making and related topics.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/wilsonfreitas/awesome-quant
quant.stackexchange.com/questions/2019/recommendations-for-books-to-understand-the-math-in-quantitative-finance-papers
glassdoor.com/Salaries/quantitative-trader-salary-SRCH_KO0,19.htm
glassdoor.com/Salaries/trader-salary-SRCH_KO0,6.htm
arxiv.org/abs/1705.05334v3
youtu.be/h-sZ4kgln40
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Resources
github.com/wilsonfreitas/awesome-quant
quant.stackexchange.com/questions/2019/recommendations-for-books-to-understand-the-math-in-quantitative-finance-papers
Investopedia

Does this kind of knowledge help individual investors make more money or should I not take the time to study it?

>pic related

yes

glassdoor.com/Salaries/quantitative-trader-salary-SRCH_KO0,19.htm
glassdoor.com/Salaries/trader-salary-SRCH_KO0,6.htm

It's an extremely competitive field, with most quants coming from top tier IBs.

babbies first paper to understand crypto facts
arxiv.org/abs/1705.05334v3

>off by one kenobi
if someone got there, you surely can user
nobody is born educated

Physicist here with a background in statistical mechanics. What book shall I read to bridge the gap?

how many NULS for a bot that learns all this babble for me

pic related is a good start, otherwise any "handbook of quantitative finance with {insert language here}" is fine if you already know the math behind and want hands on doing stuff

Cheers, I also code in python so how basic is this? Chances are I’ve programmed modelling algos for most of this (Brownian motion etc)

i have a mechanical engineering background but i'm interested in quantitative finance. worked with matlab before, but not extensively. know calculus and linear algebra basics like partial derivatives, hessians, etc but nothing too advanced

where should i start?

Theoretical Physicist here with some knowledge in Econophysics. Some are at work merging Quantum Theory with Finance. Interesting stuff. Start with multi-step model for quantum pricing formula:

why do you need quantum theory with finance?

yes i had experience with physicists in the past lol, the book is aimed for those who already know basic python and want to apply it for finance
there's a more advanced version called "Mastering Python for Finance" which deals which more on the machine learnery and multivariate statistics topics

read my OP pic related and, i guess if you know how to fit/find differential equations to signals you won't really have trouble applying stochastic calculus to model stuff, try looking at pic related, if it remembers you something, feel at home since you can grab techniques from fourier analysis and so

Okay senpai, cheers

yeah i've fourier analysis before. thanks.

In IB it's not what you know, it's who you know. gl trying to break into biz if you don't have school connections.

Fellow theoretical physicist here and I also enjoy some Python coding. Wrote a bot for bittrex and such, but desu I came to the conclusion that hodling is probably the best (or "scalping" might improve the gains a bit, but not as substantially as just picking the right coins). For the lulz, I'd also like to do some more statistics over market data. If you're interested, contacts me

www.AxiomsOfChoice.org

I also do some videos on finance using basic Python

youtu.be/h-sZ4kgln40

I was recently reading a interesting article regarding interbank venues restricting HFT, they where doing stuff like adding a small randomized pause.

Were you doing basic arbitrage? If so what percentage gains were you usually getting?