Crypto Storage Thread

Discuss methods of storing and spending your crypto here.

Do any anons have experience with encrypting a shit load of Micro SDs that hold your private keys and scattering them about? Also would it be safe to encrypt your private keys in PGP and store them online somewhere in case you lose absolutely all your paper/SD wallets?

Other urls found in this thread:

steemit.com/cryptocurrency/@tomshwom/tomshwom-s-advanced-crypto-security-guide-part-3-creating-a-secure-wallet
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bump

Just buy a ledger

HW are good for spending. That doesn't really address what I'm talking about though.

reckon you could buy multiple trezors and hide them like a squirrel? are you tying to do this on a budget or what?

I need a ledger where i can effectively lock in my prices any suggestions

As long as you have encrypted backups in different places, and you trust that it won't get lost, you're fine. I use paper and hard drives.

I have 10 million in XRB on bitgrail. I don't understand why you are all such tinfoil hat fags thinking you need to put everything on an easily destroyed/lost device like a ledger. I guess materialistic fags will always find a reason to needlessly spend their money.

Money isn't a factor, but I don't see the advantage in using a multiple HW for storing thousands of keys (many keys can't be stored on HW anyway). Again I think HWs are great for spending, but no real advantage for long term storage.

Yeah that'd be the plan. Store like 5-10 in random places, should be enough redundancy to prevent loss. Idk how long SD cards can survive though, even in good conditions. Would be extremely shitty if you had everything on SDs and they all crashed for w/e reason. Scares the shit out of me, which is why I also do paper.

Self ownership is the entire point of crypto. Hope you don't get burned, user.

Because some of us were around when exchanges exit scammed like MT Gox

Keeping them in a safe at your house/office is 100x safer than online. Even if your safe gets robbed, you should have time to transfer all your coins out of your wallets before the fucking cat burglar even knows what he has. But if your shit gets hacked, it's going to get transferred into the nerd's wallets in a matter of minutes.

I don't think PGP has ever been hacked.

I have a Trezor and a Ledger. I keep them in a lockbox and have sent copies of their seeds to a trusted family member.

I just keep it all in coinbase and cryptopia.

Read up on glacier protocol

E-coin has a great wallet you can use down at the local branch.

>sent copies of their seeds to a trusted family member
You know anyone can load up your funds by just using your seed right? That's why I think it'd be superior just to use a shit load of SD cards that share the same password that you don't have to keep written down anywhere.

buy a hardware wallet you cheap ass nigga

i keep my ledger safely tucked away in my asshole
good luck getting at it, thiefs.

Read the thread you dumb ass nigger.

steemit.com/cryptocurrency/@tomshwom/tomshwom-s-advanced-crypto-security-guide-part-3-creating-a-secure-wallet

It doesn't matter if the device gets lost or destroyed because you have your seed phrase.

This is the kind of shit I'm looking for. Thank you, anons.

Yes. That's the point. I wouldn't trust SD cards due to the number of counterfeits on the market. Hardware Hacker by Andrew “bunnie” Huang has an interesting chapter about it.

10 mil in raiblocks? Does Mt Gox as mentioned not worry you at all?

What I'm saying is if you don't have custody of your keys or they aren't otherwise encrypted to prevent others from gaining access, then you're putting yourself at risk. HW don't have a squeaky clean history of exploits either.

what is so fucking ahrd about hardware wallets and putting the recovery key ina safety deposit box in a bank?

what kind of retard holds hundreds of thousands but sint willing to spend a bit more on security? fucking micro SD cards? for real bro?

Cryptosteel.
one 12 word mnemonic to rule all bip39 spec coins.
one cryptonote private key to rule monero and other cryptonote coins. its just 100 usd guys. buy one.

crypto steal + safety deposit box is best.

But if its a Trezor or such, brainwallet isn't that hard. I managed to memorize my recovery seed after a couple weeks.

HW are less secure than the SD method and less robust. I can store thousands of keys from thousands of different cryptos on an SD. You can remember one passphrase or seed to access them all and there is no need to store your seed (which gives anyone access to your funds) with 3rd parties.

Being this new

gonna need to back up that claim of "less robust" and "less secure".

I've had many good quality SD cards die on my unexpectedly. Also, hardware wallets never expose private keys, you do know that right?

>gonna need to back up that claim of "less robust" and "less secure".
As I already said, I can store thousands of keys from thousands of different cryptos on an SD. So more robust. I can pick and choose SD providers as well as encryption method so more secure.

>Also, hardware wallets never expose private keys, you do know that right?
I literally already addressed this as a use case for HW. I didn't say they were without use, dude. They're great for spending for this very reason. The argument over faulty hardware applies to both, but I can buy stacks of SDs and put all the same info and encryption on them to reduce risk. But yes, SDs faulting out on me are a serious concern and something I'd personally like more info on, on how to prevent faults.