If SHA-256 were ever cracked how fast would Bitcoin go to $0?

If SHA-256 were ever cracked how fast would Bitcoin go to $0?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/open-quantum-safe/liboqs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-quantum_cryptography
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>If SHA-256 were ever cracked

You can't 'crack' SHA-256

depends on the crack
most usage could get fixed to use keccak
but if it's a mining booster, things gonna get heated pretty fast

HAHAHA I TOLD YOU IT WAS A BUBBLE said the normalfag as the first wave of nuclear warheads landed.

Just fork to a new algo?

If modern cryptographic algorithms get cracked then it wouldn't be a stretch to say that everyone will start from zero.
Expect coupons from the politburo to be the next big currency.

also bitcoin is sha256(sha256)

You non-engineering retards realize that there are quantum resistant algorithms, right? Any currency worth holding would be immediately forked to use the new algorithms as soon as a quantum brute force attack became practical.

I admit I'm not up to date on cryptography, which ones are quantum-resistant?

github.com/open-quantum-safe/liboqs

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-quantum_cryptography

dyor

Actually, the HASH SHA256 is applied twice.
So technically speaking, cracking it wouldn't change anything.

vitalik said he has the code to make ethereum quantum resistant ready, but it isn't being implemented because ethereum will most likely switch to PoS before quantum computers is a thing

Cool, thanks.

If SHA256 was cracked the entire stock market would go to zero

depends, was the crab-16 order given?

If SHA-256 was cracked the last thing you'd have to worry about would be Bitcoin.

Literally the whole digital world would be vulnerable to hacks. Banks, Google, PayPal, Wifi networks, government info, etc, etc etc. and things would get out of control pretty quickly.

It would be a modern apocalypse.

Any modern cryptographic function(sha-256, keccak-256, md4/md5 etc) being "solved" would essentially mean that the famous P = NP problem had been solved as well. As it currently stands this doesn't seem like it will happen any time soon

>inb4 hurr durr quantum computers
Yes quantum computers pose a problem in that they could allow you to brute force solutions to hash functions, but I don't think that was the spirit of the question asked by OP

a lot more would be destroyed than btc hashing...

Sha256 is not just used for bitcoin. If it get comprimised a new encryption standard will be developed and used. Bitcoin will most likely hardfork to ajust to the new algo.

Bitcoin would just easily upgrade to SHA-512, dumbfuck. Even the stock (((geniuses))) tried to fund quantum computers to break cryptos are failing because no matter how XXX generation quantum computers these stock (((geniuses))) invent, cryptos would be 800 quadrillion light years ahead of them.

There was a glp thread I think he called his self king miner, but he claimed to with the assistance of an autist math genuis to have an algrbraic means of accurately knowing the beginning of the next btc'Sha-256 block, making mining much less intensive.

Correct. The instant there comes a time when new tech gets even close to being able to do it in a reasonable time frame, industry will just move to beefier encryption.