What languages should I learn if I am interested in international business?

What languages should I learn if I am interested in international business?

I have the most history working in asia and would likely in the future relocate there. But I also have some connections in Europe do to some recent internship work. Here are some that I am interested in.
>Spanish
>Korean
>Japanese
>Chinese(know a bit already)
>French
>Dutch

I understand that there are limited options for people who only know one language and endeavor only to improve myself I hope some one here can give me a bit of guidance on this matter.

All above. The more the better. Except Dutch. German is more useful.

try hard

English.

Dutch people can speak english so that one is of the list.

There was a thread once about an user who learned chinese and did business with them and turned out they where horrible to deal with.

I would choose Japanese because I like their culture.
Its really up to you though.
Depends on where the opportunity lies.

TO be honest everyone speaks ENglish, even if poorly. I suppose Mandarin would be good if you want to work in exporting / importing and I suppose Cantonese if you wanted to get into financials in Hong Kong but everyone everywhere else is English korea/china/jap all do business through English. Engineers might converse in chinese or some japanese but all business is pretty much done in English. You are much better off working crazy overtime and buying multiple nice suits and shoes (allen edmonds gives nice shoes and belt discount to students.) Clean shaven, thin/muscular, clean shaven and clothes that fit you well plus actually knowing your skill will do much better than any half ass mandarin you could possibly learn.

China is not so bad I know the thread you are talking about and the writer just had a very bad experience. Although I will admit you always need to be one step ahead in work situations with the chinese.

For an employee this is ok and manageable for a business man with no prior experience with chinese I can understand how this can be stressful.

Now on the crusade for china I just hope you know it was a very biased view point.
What's wrong with pursing my dreams ?

Get a load of this Nigger. Anybody who wants to do serious business learns the language of the place he does business. Those who onlyspeak anglo are born to get scammed.

order of importance

english
chinese
spanish
french
japanese
german
russian

It amazes me that you are copypastaing my post from yesterday. Good job user, keep up the good work

What you don't understand user is that while they do business in english you do not really connect or network the same was as someone who knows more languages. I have worked in asia before and not knowing chinese/ korean really worked against me. Not only that I plan to leave the states and make use of my race to get better jobs else where raising my quality of life.

It's not just about work I want to improve my life by making connections with different people in ways that would be limited by only speaking english.

Not to say that you don't have good ideas and I am grateful you took the time to respond but the lifestyle i desire is different.

"not on the crusade for china my mistake

Ignoring English the languages you want to know are
1st tier
>Chinese (China/global)
>spanish (America’s)
>french (Europe, Canada, Africa)
>german (Europe)
2nd tier
>Japanese
>Portuguese
>Arabic
>Russian
3rd tier
>korean

>korean that low
I have to admit the life style is very attractive to me the women seem so glamorous and attractive. I was dating one for a while and she made it seem so fun (if you like to drink)

for nice clothes just fuck off to vietnam, get a couple of great suits for next to nothing, and fuck a dozen 9/10 whores
this is especially true for doing business in china

Thanks for all the answers everyone I will be thinking about my options hard and choose a routine to work on the very next morning.

I wish you all the best of luck in the pursuit your dreams

I grew up bilingual English/Spanish. I took many years of French and a few crash courses in Portuguese.

French has been the most useful, followed closely by Portuguese. I never use Spanish (for work). French really is an international language, and as for Portuguese, there are few non-Brazilians who speak it (and Brazilians rarely speak English well). Supply and demand.

French demand is very high, even if supply is sorta high.
Portuguese demand is medium, supply is very low.
Spanish demand is high, but supply is astronomically high.

I am a corporate lawyer with a focus on international business transactions in a major American city (think Chicago, Miami, Los Angeles).

For your purposes, I would say Chinese > Japanese > French >> Korean >> Spanish >>>>>>>>>>>>> Dutch.

Thank you very much for the thought filled reply. It has been a long time since I considered japan seriously but after this thread I am more attracted to the idea

No problem. I'm a language nerd and my job is mostly international stuff, so I was drawn to this thread pretty naturally. How much of a head start with Chinese do you have exactly? Not that any head start other than a massive one can overcome an enthusiasm gap.

I lived in chia a bit over a year and I know basic conversation and what I need to live. But deep conversation and writing is an issue as I have not taken a formal class in a long time. I have admittedly fallen out of practice.

I regret not taking it a bit more seriously but when i was younger i learned just enough to get laid and talk to costumers a bit. But over time I grew to love the lifestyle. A bad break up turned me away from the language for a while.

Gotcha. Well, you can't go wrong with it or Japanese imo. Perhaps explore them both a bit before choosing.