Be me, first year electrician

>be me, first year electrician
>get sent out alone to a refinery that's losing 1 million per day because some instrument is fucking up and tripping alarms causing everything to shut down
>never worked on this instrument before, have literally no idea what the fuck is going on
>engineers start yelling at me because after 14 hour shift I didn't solve the problem

Who else /retard wagecuck/ here?

thats so retarded your company didnt offer more people and that the client accepted one incapable worker

so retarded

Did you google it?

Explain the problem. It sounds like a phase sensor is out.

That's what I told them, plus the guys working at the plant are more qualified than I am and installed all this shit in the first place

sorry man, works for me :)

hit it with a wrench or put windex on it

thanks bought 100k

man if some cuck engineer soyboy faggot started yelling at me for any reason I'd walk up to him, deck his fucking face, turn 180 and walk away

>not taking as long as possible and watching them burn before shitting on your boss's desk and quitting without a word
you're wagecucking wrong

What exactly is the relationship here among all the entities? Do you work for the company that owns the refinery, or are you part of a company hired to do repairs to this facility, or are you being treated as an independent 1099 contractor with your "boss" basically giving you warm leads for work?

I mean, honestly, regardless of the situation, considering it's a place that's
>> losing 1 million per day
If they weren't willing to put at least 1% of that as a daily cost towards fixing the problem, then fuck them, that's the actual problem, and it doesn't sound like you made 10k+ today.

I've been an electrician for 12 years now.. the company you are working for is retarded for sending someone with such little experience out to fix something at a refinery.. not to mention that in most states its a 1 to 1 JW to apprentice ratio.... you should probably look else where for a better company

Honestly as a 1st year you should be digging trenches, putting in plugs and switches and just learning the basics while working directly with a good 3rd or 4th year and having your company pay for your schooling... not going to some major company and wasting their time.. your boss probably just lost a client due to his and your incompetence

OP, the lights in my kitchen and my bedroom aren't working.
The lightbulbs are fine and there is a current on the sockets.
Still no light. What could be the problem?

kek

Plz help. Btw I'm from Europe.

did you try flipping the switch to the 'on' position?

just bypass whatever is fucking up and assume refineries have like 400 failsafes

This this this. Dont let those limp wrist, pencil pushing faggots raise their squeaky LOW testosterone cocksucking voice at you OP. Have some self worth for once sparkie fag!.

move out of Europe
Problem solved

europe runs a 220 setup with no neutral right? by current I think you mean voltage.. If you are testing with a non-contact tester you may be picking up only 1 leg while the other is out, no way for the juice to flow and so no light... check for a burnt out wago somewhere, or possible something else.. Im north american so I havent had a chance to work on your 50hz bullshit

how did you test it?

>Btw I'm from Europe

Did you pay your monthly lightbulb license tax?

holy shit that sounds pretty fun tbqfh

Why can't the engineers fix it?

It's around 230V and I think we do have a neutral. Tested it with one of those screwdrivers with built-in tester. Btw I meant the bulb socket. Everything else works fine.

>user makes thread to lure electricians so can get free advice about his lightbulbs
lmao

Basically it became such a massive clusterfuck there's like 5 electrical engineers trying to solve it right now but they're just being retarded trying to shift the blame between companies, hopefully they find a solution because I have to go back tomorrow and ave no idea what to do, the superintendent for the refinery got involved and was basically like "FUCK IT just replace everything" but the instruments they're using are basically in every refinery and work fine but for some reason this one is fucked, the engineers blamed the chinese for selling shitty multiplexer chips and then destroying their quality control records kek

have you tried sticking your dick in it?

Just fucking quit and trade crypto. Tell them to drink bleach before departing.

What is the inst measuring user? Flow? Level? Pressure?

>acting tough on the internet
What are you trying to prove, user?

Mass flow for air, shit's fucked though because there's a 90 degree angle and a bunch of fans a few feet away in the duct

I'm not sure of the codes in your area, but in my area we are allowed to run lights and plugs for a room off the same circuit.
Also do you know if they were allowed to share neutrals? Here we can in some cases and cant in others.. like arc fault and GFCi breakers hate shared neutrals.
Those types of testers will "ring" if power is voltage is present but if a neutral burns out (common enough problem from bad lose make up) nothing is going to happen when you flip the switch.

step 1. see what else is out.. probably the closer of the 2 lights to the panel but dont rule out plugs, you are sure the breaker/fuse didnt trip?
step 2. verify that you have the 230 there hot to neutral when you flip the switch
step 3 turn off the breaker and start taking the lights, and switches and whatever else apart and see what burned out.. probably is something simple to fix.. also remember where every wire goes.. just take the switches and plugs out of the box, dont take apart the connections unless you find the problem and only to fix the issue.... you could be there all day trying to figure out how it all goes back together.
step 4. check the neutral at the panel.. I leave this to last for you because most people dont like opening a live panel, but I have seen it more than once that the loose neutral is there.

have you tried talking to your boss, the guy who sent you out, about what is going on? sounds like a real shit show.. and dont feel bad, even with 12 yrs I would have one hell of a time figuring out what is going on out there...they probably need a tech that was trained on that equipment and not an apprentice.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to go as far as I'm comfortable with. If that doesn't work out I'll have to call an electrician.

ENgineers are such massive faggots

so the instrument is expose to atmosphere? i mean your most common instrument to measure any type of air flow or gas is a D/P transmitter...

yeah I get that.. sadly troubleshooting is easiest while its all energized, but also its more dangerous that way... especially if you arent aware or confident in what you are doing.. I didnt work hot for the 1st 2 years, and when you get hit off an open neutral or 277v it can be a real ass kicker.
one last thing.. dont take anything apart while its on.. turn the breaker off, even if it means running back and forth a lot.

Compare the setup with other refineries and figure out what's wrong

No it's a thermal mass flow meter

That's the problem, every other refinery has the same set up and it works fine

If it was exposed to atmosphere it would be measuring static pressure. user is measuring volume which requires velocity by measuring pressure drop

user if it's installed the way you say, there's too much turbulence in the duct at that spot and the reading would be spiking all over the place.
Some of these sensors have a filter that can be set on the sensor itself to smooth out the reading and eliminate major fluctuations. Do you have the make and model? Often the filter can be set by either dip switch or jumpers on the PCB

Ya I work in the oil feild you should have told him to fuck off. You have just as much power as he does on location

I also deal with this I fix plants that are shut down and there always talking about how they losing 16 million a hour. Tell them it will get done when I get through and they will call there boss and beg him for more time because the fault is on him

Dude things you need to learn.

1 blame everything on the guy before you.

2 tell them it needs to be rewired.

3 tell them you need to go into the panel to troubleshoot. Which is where you should always begin anyways.

4 call your boss and tell him what the problem is (even if it's your lack of ability)

5 know that when you open ANYTHING (even to look at the wiring)
the guy AFTER you will be raping you with rule 1

how is the flow meter installed? is it inside the piping? the only thing i can think of is the instrument is bad...one of the probes must not be heating up or not reading the temp inside the piping...did you hook up a communicator to it and see if its reading anything...might just be simple and might just need to be calibrated or the range needs to be set

That's what we thought at first but even with no flow there's massive spikes, like 0 to 250,000 kg/hr spikes which is basically impossible. So we thought it was an electronics issue, but we bypassed the electronics by plugging in directly to the meter and getting signals off it, and the signals still contain spikes even without going through the electronics, now the engineers think it's a grounding issue but it's 24VDC which doesn't require grounding according to the engineers and now they're arguing about that. Everything was calibrated we did that first to rule it out.

heh.....might be a shielding issue (grounding) typically you have the shielding cable terminated one side and floated on the other side (terminated on the DCS side, but floated on the instrument) the cable is single pair correct? and signal 4-20mA

Also there is six probes, each probe takes 3 samples across the duct, so there's 18 in total readings and they ALL are having problems, there's no way they could all be broken the probability is too low

>single pair correct? and signal 4-20mA

Yes, the ground just tied off to the side and only the +/- wires were used, I only looked at the instrument side I don't know about the DCS side, the company that makes the instrument says it needs to be grounded, but the instrumentation guys and engineer at the plant say they never had to ground 24v before now they're arguing across time zones via email

I only have 6 months experience(90% in the shop) and am basically clueless

jesus that sounds absolutely cancerous thank god I have my crypto gainz and dont need to wagecuck

Electricity is fucking magic

> first payrun of 2018
> I audit and run the payrun + bank transfer after the file has been created overnight
> it didnt
> when it finally did after another day it was 6x the correct amount
> IT fixed the transactions in the payrun file but the GST which is calculated from the transactions didnt reset.
> also a bunch of people got an advance equivalent to the variance between the correct amount and the 6x amount
> they didnt actually get an advance but thier next statement was in a negative balance
> pay runs a day late and all wrong
> my cryptos are all crashing too while this is going on
> also the division boss dies and there is no one in existence who could reasonably replace him

rough start

Have you tried turning the instrument off and back on?

yea i thought maybe be a shielding issue...because the shield suppose to block interference...at first it sound like to me you had interference thats why it was spiking.... but if there is a total of six and all of them doing the same thing....then something aint right...could be bad engineering...(wrong instrument, wrong range, etc) sorry user...looks like you are fucked....

split the circuit in half.. figure out which side the problem is one, and repeat.

It's gonna be a LONG year user

Is it covered properly

They sent you out to keep it fucked up but fulfill their obligation. I wouldnt be surprised if other refineries in the area owned by competitors managed to get them to do it. You're not supposed to solve the problem here lol

this. you'd be surprised. trust the process

>turn 180 and walk away
>not turning 360 and walking away
fucking retard

That's like when I worked as a plumbing apprentice for like a month and the company illegally sent me out alone to install one of those big water heaters without any assistance except some sheet metal guy to help me lift and move the thing. I literally just walked off the job site. I'm not a plumber's apprentice anymore ahahaha

And when I mean literally walked off I mean quite literally. The place was only about a mile from my dad's house and I told the sheet metal guy to just drive it back to the place because I'm out. Wasn't worth 8.50 an hour thats for sure

>8.50 an hour

Yeah that's some mcdonalds shit

Tell em to piss off.
“M8 this is fucked, what the fuck have u guys been doing, I’ll have to re set it all up for fuck sake”
Then take a 1 hour break.
That’s what I do.

I thought about wanting to career change to electrician but I don't want to deal with stressful situations like OP.

Well in 2006 that wasn't so bad