I was given a job that during the interview stage I already knew wasn't for me because I knew absolutely nothing about...

I was given a job that during the interview stage I already knew wasn't for me because I knew absolutely nothing about it, but I was still hired because I had an internal referral.

There is no training provided other than potentially having my questions answered by my co-workers if they feel like it, and I have a report due on Tuesday on something that I have no idea about. Today I pretty much pissed away the whole day without making much progress.

Should I just quit and look for something that I can actually do/will receive training in or stay and see how long it takes until they fire me? I'm getting paid $40/hour.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=I4Rs8CTLnuw
youtube.com/watch?v=Z-h2BtQzbUQ
youtube.com/watch?v=p6SaCzKA5MQ
lmgtfy.com/?q=Mixer capable of mixing methane and air.
sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/engineering-design-process/engineering-design-process-steps
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

are you dumb just stay til you get fired and dont put this place on your resume

Don't be an idiot and actually try, Fuck you're getting $40/hr to larp as an office worker and provide retarded reports

just start walking around and solving problems and act like you're in Management and start telling people what to do.

You'll probably get fired, but there is small chance you can larp your way into an executive position

kekd

OP i was in a similar situation. Just play along until u get fired

I just feel bad for the guy that referred me, but then again quitting wouldn't look any better for him.

It's the fact that what was asked of me was vague, combined with my utter unfamiliarity with the subject that it's difficult for me to make progress. It's not like I sat around the whole day doing nothing, but I have no idea what I'm doing. I still haven't even finished doing all the HR shit and I was assigned the report on my first day.

It's a fairly small company. Literally everyone around me knows that I'm a new hire.

time to suck the manager's clock/clit

just bring in a briefcase full of crackers

So, what was asked of you?

Just google it man. I google shit about how to do my job all the time

To design a device that I initially had no idea how it works. I have since figured out that much, but there are no real design guiding equations available. People publish(ed) papers on their designs and optimizing them, but it's done using software that I have never used, and even then it's a matter of trial and error and having a concept of what the initial design should be like to begin with. The software just simulates how it performs, you still have to design it.

Come clean on Monday, first thing. Talk to your boss and HR in a little meeting. They'll either can you ASAP or start adjusting to the situation, both with your position and their expectations of you.

Keep this fact in mind: the worst outcome is also the 99% inevitable outcome. As it stands, you will be canned as soon as they figure it out anyways, while you waste everyone's time and stew in your anxiety. It's worse for everyone involved. Man up and tell them. There's a 1% chance they will work with you.

The thing is that I didn't lie during my interview. I didn't claim to know things I don't, and if they asked me if I'm familiar with something I'm not then I would tell them that I'm not.

Which is why I was so surprised to be tasked with something that I'm entirely unfamiliar with.

tell IT you need the right special software, that should buy a couple weeks.

Meanwhile try to find a file for the design that someone else already did. Talk to people with same title on linkedin

Holy shit. if you're being serious, you need to grow some balls. Unless you are brain damaged or sub 110 IQ, you can learn enough to get buy. You are making $1600 a week and getting paid to learn (I think) circuit design.

Tell your immediate boss who gave you the task to clarify what he needs. Bring a piece of paper and write it down. You're not doing this because you're a clueless dipshit - you're doing this because you're a precise worker who wants to meet his goals.

Then go on linked in and stalk people with your job title. Email some of them. Spend all day learning about this. The idea that you can buy some time with some special software is good.

Are you black or female? Sounds like they hired you to fill a quota.

>Tell your immediate boss who gave you the task to clarify what he needs
This. Word it in a way that both makes it sound like you know what your doing but also makes it sound like your unsure about some intricacy. Tell them what you do know first, then say but i'm having trouble with X could you point me in the right direction.

lmfao

youtube.com/watch?v=I4Rs8CTLnuw

This guy's on to it

It's not circuit design, it's a flow device. The software is only used for simulation/performance analysis. You still need to be able to design it. I have asked for clarification twice, and the answer was virtually "figure it out." I had a total of about 3 days to design it from the time I was given the assignment.

If it's that vague then the boss probably doesn't give a shit and you'll be right. worst comes to worst you get fired and made extra bucks for a bit.

Working is easy man

youtube.com/watch?v=Z-h2BtQzbUQ

Give more details. Controls engineer and computer scientist here, will help you out if I can

surprised you didn't post this, which is a bit more relevant to OP
youtube.com/watch?v=p6SaCzKA5MQ

your boss sucks then. if he won't help you, you get to find someone else who will. or, he just doesnt give 2 shits about whatever you submit to him, he will say ok, and move on. so your amateur flow device will be fine.

i dont know what a flow device is so i dont exactly who to talk to. but spend the next few days beast moding to learn and get something, anything, set up.

another angle on this: WHY does your boss need the flow device? ostensibly its to measure flow, but what's it going for? in? who is asking him for it? what are the actual needs of it? when you present your 1st try flow device pretend you are an entrepreneur pitching your heart and soul here. make sure to mention how it will solve the problems. of curse it's going to suck and likely break in the field eventually, but you'll be on the next project by then.

i actually envy you user, you are getting paid to learn to build cool shit.

Fluid mechanics fag here. What type of device is it?

Come here for crypto, stay here to see Veeky Forums help a dude lap into a career..

Yeah, I'm supposed to be assigned to another project most likely before I even have a chance to complete the report. I'm just really confused by what I'm supposed to do since the guidance is severely lacking.

Mixer capable of mixing methane and air.

General rule of thumb, it's not what you know it's who you know.

What specs does it need to have?

>since the guidance is severely lacking.
Well, sad to say, your place of employment isn't ideal on that angle. on the plus side you are getting a chance to do this.

just get through this first project. your overloaded right now from so much. once you see it goes ok with this project, the next ones will get easier.

>Yeah, I'm supposed to be assigned to another project most likely before I even have a chance to complete the report. I'm just really confused by what I'm supposed to do since the guidance is severely lacking.

sounds pretty typical, welcome to the adult working world. You are expected to learn and think for yourself and to wipe your own ass.. especially for that wage.. you are lucky you havent been put on salary yet to for you into 60-70 hour weeks.

wtf, i know this chick. She was an actress in one of my videos.

do you know your way with a blade?

clearly if you lack the skills to design your certain flow device, maybe you can find use somewhere else. start stalking your coworkers, follow them to their house and at night sneak in and chloroform them in bed, tie them up and threaten them to tell you everything you need to know to stay in power and keep your position

good luck op

if you dont know what you are doing, ask your superiors to train you. Ask LOTS of dumb questions.

Youre better off being fired for not knowing the job, than for being too lazy.

If all fails and you dont come up with anything. Give your boss this. pic related

Give details I know fluid mechanics. What size is the device supposed to be, how much volume in gases are needed, where the fuck is it supposed to be used at, and lastly what is the budget.

lmgtfy.com/?q=Mixer capable of mixing methane and air.

Google litterally has the answers.

That's part of the problem. It's a range and ideally it's supposed to operate properly over that range. Honestly, the more I think about the assignment the more it sounds like a test, but it seems like a legitimate part of the project.

That's not far from what the legitimate mixers I found are like.

>Honestly, the more I think about the assignment the more it sounds like a test, but it seems like a legitimate part of the project.
It probably is because 3 days to design a device is retarded especially for a newbie. My company took several months just design and manufacture a simple clamping unit.

Fake it til you make it.

That's what's throwing me off, the amount of time that I was allotted. It's not the it's an impossible task by any means, but even for someone that knew what they are doing 3 days is a very short notice.

The temperatures ranges, for example, area few hundred degrees which means that the density will vary a shitload which in turn means that the flow rate will too, but on the flip side if the flow rate varies too much then you might not be mixing the proper amount of air with methane given the inlet pressures.

Just create a report with several simple drawings and state your problems and possible solutions, that's probably what they want to see.

Is this your first job? (of any type)

It's a shit test. Standard procedure for a new employee with unknown prowess. If you managed to actually get it completely done in time, they'd fucking move you somewhere else very shortly because you would have brought AAA game.

They only are trying to see how much you get done in that time, and more importantly, how you approach it. Also how you deal with deadline stress and how you deal with being in over your head.

Real jobs don't have premade answers. If they did, the job wouldn't be necessary. They didn't hire a robot, they hired a human brain. Show them yours.

Yeah, I think that's what I'll do.

It is. That's why I don't know shit. Dealing with all the HR shit alone was pretty overwhelming.

Fucking Google it you dumbass

OP use biz and actually get it done. Then get a promotion and let us help you through the next obstacle. Veeky Forums will own this company.

Integers approve. OP is now our vessel to take over an engineering firm.

Ask the coworker who referred you if you can get help, otherwise ask the guy who gave you the task for guidance on where to go from what you have accomplished so far.

look up shit like this:
sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/engineering-design-process/engineering-design-process-steps

You've got to be methodical and creative.

that's literally what got op the job

I should add that you need to document every step of this process, otherwise it's pointless. Your paper trail helps YOU work on the problem, it helps you communicate with anybody else about particulars of the problem, and most importantly, it helps your boss know what the fuck you spent your time doing.

You can do this though, don't worry. Nobody learns how to do their job in school. You're supposed learn how to learn how to do your job.

Fuck I'd like to see that, it would be hilarious.

Should make a discord.

Youre white this is how youre supposed to get hired. Just pretend you know everything and take all the credit and dont forget to act like you worked so much harder than everyone to get there..you'll make upper management in no time.

I got a job working for a semiconductor company doing engineering, I still hardly know anything about them but I make 70k a year and work about 10 actual hours a week. It's been a year now and they gave me a raise. You'll probably be fine

KEK

You could just ask your internal referral to give you a quick training so you can still enjoy your 40$/h...