College Degrees Thread

Looks like this isnt gonna work out lads.

its that time, please not only tell us your degree or major but also what made you choose it because im looking to start so somewhere new

Other urls found in this thread:

de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technische_Informatik
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

computer science. I think if you don't know what career you're after, think about what kind of lifestyle you want to live and start looking at jobs/careers that allow you to live the way you want to live. I just want to be a /comfy/ dev or remote programmer

are personality tests good for this

it's a long story.
To keep it short, I stopped doing math after algebra II in high school.

I wanted to do EE, but just to /start/ the pre reqs for the major, I'd have to take College Algebra, Trig, Precalc, Calc 1, Calc 2, Calc 3, Physics 1, Physics 2, and Physics 3
It would've taken me 6-7 years to get the EE degree.

My backup was Computer Science. Luck would have it that it's in the same department as EE at the college I'm looking at, meaning I'd have the same prerequisites. It'd take slightly shorter though, at 5-6 years.

So now I'm on plan C, get a BS in Information Technology with a Networking and Cyber security specialization, start building a programming portfolio, and start taking night classes for CompSci when I get a career job.

If you're any X Engineer you are guaranteed at least 2x your local min wage job. It doesn't even have to be a related field. People will hire you into management positions. This of course considering you aren't completely socially retarded (which most of this site is).

Where's neuroscience PhD in there? Good tier I guess because there's not a lot of money in research.

I'm a year from graduating with EE
I'm dumb and didn't retain almost anything other than VIR
>am I fucked?
also never had a job or internship

Why is computer eng better then CS and why should i believe memecharts on this meme website?

>philosophy/mathematics double major
Get on my level.

biology is suicide tier, get a degree to be a lab sweat shop worker

do you know the difference between the two?

Don't be a fucken quitter. If you quit now it'll become a trend for the rest of your life and then when you're laying on your death bed you'll look back at a wasted life. Study your ass off for the engineering degree, it's worth the struggle.

Def god tier cmon now

>don't know shit
>nothing on my curriculum
yep you are ded.

Medicine should be unbelievable tier. In the US an MD means you'll make at least 150k per year

Not the same user but computer science creates the basis for computer engineering to be possible. Any computer scientist will be able to pick up computer engineering faster than a computer engineer. Perhaps this is why a vast majority of "computer engineers" in fact graduated with a "computer science" degree.

I can't afford tuition. I have my college paid off for four years. Any more and I have to pay out of pocket. I don't qualify for any financial aid from what I can tell of my fafsa. Believe me, I would love to get the degree. And I am. It'll just take me a bit longer than it would've if I hadn't fucked around in high school.

>TFW Good Tier MS and don't even work in that field anymore

You also start off with ~300K debt and that 150k/yr doesn't come into effect until you finish residency.
Lmao

>computer engineering
What is this shit?
Show me a top 10 uni which offers that degree?

>tfw when grandpa was an aerospace engineer who worked for NASA and literally sent men to the moon
>tfw you're a shitty humanities major whose only hope is to make it in crypto

Why is Info Systems never on these lists? It's pretty decent and enjoyable so far to get the best of both worlds in IT and Business.

In my city the difference is CS is only programming so you don't really need to go over the three years while eng is electronics and stuff about designing PCs too so you are required to do the full 5 years, Why is it better now?

It's not a degree. Computer science teaches you everything you need to know.

Chemical engineer reporting in. I have to take over my family business so that's why.

computer engineering is essentially microelectronics. Computer engineers design stuff like integrated circuits, motherboards, processors, low-level programming and embedded systems, etc.

>maths engineering
>get a comparable(ie lower) theoretic maths kowledge to applied math
>add some knowledge in which maths is applied, like physics and economics
I still don't know if this is a meme or not, but fuck it i am going for it.

You mean he worked in the film studio where they recorded the 'moon landing' right?

>Tfw molecular biomedicine so only great tier on this chart despite how we study harder stuff than medicine students

>biology
>great tier

shut the fuck up you retard, your future if you DON'T go onto med school/pharmacy/weasel your chad kikery way into private research or become a TA/teacher faggot scum of the Earth is working in factory standing 10 hours a day, developing varicose veins for slightly above min wage so you don't die in the streets like me. fuck off.

>theoretic math
Just kys

Geophysics is in 2 categories

UT Austin my dude

A Poli Sci degree earns me 80K a year and I got a job straight out of school at age 23 this past semester, I wouldn’t say it’s shit tier desu

That's literally the name of a degree in my country's (Costa Rica) best university, the Unuversity of Costa Rica. It's called ingeniería en computación, so, computer engineering.

>my worth as a person and as a scholar should be determined only by how much i study

Boring accountant here.

Any of you faggots have any questions/need help?

I know a girl who doesn't have enough to get into medicine but hates chemistry so shouldn't study biochemistry. What's a good biology related major desu?

No, I mean he helped design the propulsion system for the Saturn V. Keep being a cuck tho

give us the basics, what you did, what you do for the job, how much you gain and how lucky you were to get there.

It's harder to get into my field. My classmates are all people who had the grades to get into medicine but didn't want to because they didn't want to deal with patients.
We should be worth more.

>current software engineering student, biz minor

am I gonna make it? I'm not learning anything I haven't taught/cant teach myself, and I'm making more than enough to support myself with ecommerce. Should I keep going?

Undergrad was political science. I had a full ride but college enviorment wasn't for me so I got out with the easiest degree I can get.

No debt.

Once again the chart is not based on difficulty of the degree alone.

Any germanfags here? What is the german word for computer engineering? Maybe "Informationstechnik"?

For computer science it is Informatik, obviously

you need that piece of paper

>math major
>any job I want
>300k starting

How can I actually file my crypto gains in my tax form? I want to just use some online file, but it only gives me stupid options to enter in trade by trade. Am I better off just doing them myself and mailing it in?

m8 just google it or use wikipedia language change.
de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technische_Informatik

Nice! I don’t have any debt either and I got a pretty comfy job after just graduating. Poli Sci is underrated especially if you’re in a country with good government jobs

For the accounting degree, I'm assuming not including CA after?

Geology.
I have 2 years down, one year to go of being a wagekek technician and then I get my professional license and reach comfiness. I've seen my superiors at the firm and it is for real. I will be 25 years old and making $50,000 a year working 30 hours a week or less.
And unlike the tryhards who got masters degrees before getting licensed I don't have any student loans.

Computer engineering major here. Started out in software engineering and to put it simply I wasn't cutting the mustard with grades.
Switched to computer engineering because:
1. interested in stuff down at the metal.
2. was fairly competent programmer
Funny enough, I have a job lined up after graduating as a software engineer in qa

Marine transportion. I have a third mates license to sail on commercial ships. Been to over 15 countries and have sailed around the world. Great pay too

Philosophy should unironically be in good tier

Geophysics should unironically be in good tier, unless specializing in petrol, then god tier

Biology/life sciences should be in meh tier

Nuclear engineer should be great tier

Geology should be moved down to meh tier

Chemistry should be moved down to good tier

shit tier psychologist here, but at least I can tell for sure that you're all a bunch of retarded autists.

have family that finished pharmacy school. got offered 130k a year starting.

circuit analysis?
any experience with FPGAs?

Psychology degree and I make as much as programmer.

Fuck your rating scale

>believing in the space jew.

Look at this GOY.

Is there alot of memorization?

the only reason I'm still here

Oh, I would've been more interested answering questions related to personal accounting, but sure:

Some shitty 3 year "degree", I work for a company that rakes in $70m a year (and got a new $91 mil contract with the city's public transit), I do all the payables and half the payroll (and a chunk of the reconciliation), I make $40k (CAD) and it's my first accounting job. I think most account jobs in the province start at high 20ks or low 30ks so I guess I got lucky, considering I had no prior experience.

It's always better to keep a perfect record in an Excel sheet and have your employer auto-deduct it (or yourself). I for instance have an investment income of $5k annually and I found the tax rate for that (20.05%) and I divide the annual tax my annual pay periods (24) to be automatically deducted from my payroll so I don't have to bother with it at the end of the year. That's the best option if you know for sure what it will be, but if it's volatile, file it yourself and find the appropriate slip (T5 form in my case).

Computer Engineer 2nd year
Dont know if I should specialize in software or stay in general CE

That's not even that good desu, it's decent compared to peers but I've seen dudes come out of undergrad and get 6 figures right away, mind you they were active in the student council and did all sorts of extra shit

get a part time job in your last year related to your major.
your most valuable skill is the ability to learn and relearn what you've already learned.

my first year in the job, I was thinking about a lecture from a year ago, and suddenly the concepts of bandpass vs low/high pass made sense.
I didn't even use any of that stuff in my job.

when you're new and nothing make sense, that's because you have no history to work off of. then over time you slowly grow a history and everything clicks into place at a much faster rate.

Risk Management and Insurance-IS . I'm now a Stat Analyst.

>Computer science
Dont do it unless you're genuinely passionate,competent, and have specialized skills. Competition's gotten cut throat. I predicted the rise in its market and growth as a lad but fucking speakers and school figures told everyone religiously that it was the future and so everyone and their grandma are jumping on the bandwagon now. Shit's over-saturated unless you got a good specialization. If you want a generic dev job, good fucking luck.

I like the software side more, but I am getting the degree for employability and salary. Which one is better in that regard?

Business Management, how fucked am I?

>Undergrad in maritime systems engineering
>Get a job as a subsea engineer and specialize in subsea robotics/tooling and field development
>Industry slows down thanks to OPEC faggotry
>Job becomes less fun because the industry sucks
>Get stuck doing decommissioning because no one is building anything new
>Company downsizing so I'm the only engineer who goes out in the field
>Spend nearly an entire year offshore
>Get burnt out
>Decide to change things up
>Most industries are too lame or the product is boring
>The only jobs I want require a masters and specific education I was lacking
>Quit job and go back to school
>Currently working on masters in aerospace engineering
>Specialty in dynamics / controls because I want to do the coolest part of aerospace with the ability to pivot to other industries if I'm cursed and aero takes a shit

Can confirm Pharmacy is a good route. There’s a lot of memorization but tests are usually close together so you’re not as likely to forget things. That and everything ties together toward the end so your knowledge compounds. Ton of organic and biochem as in you’d have to know the basics of what a compound would do based on functional groups. Other than that, the job is all quality assurance. You’re generally managing techs and providing the final word and explaining use to patients. If you don’t like retail like a CVS you can work in a hospital where it’s generally laid back. And if you don’t even like being a pharmacist you can go do research for a pharmaceutical company.

hospitality management

>get a part time job in your last year related to your major.
and holy shit this

Public Affairs. I'm on $90k in Australia. It's a female dominated field so they all keep having babies and I keep moving up.

Sounds alot like my own major and biochemistry.
Seems good then.

Stay CE if you're good at it. Make more money. Fuck doing what you "like", get $$$. Make sure to specialize and install GNU plus linux.

Doing my Bachelor in CS
I'm actually very happy with it since the degree isnt as easy nor is it as hard as other degrees (harder for normies ofc)
I also see great future with my degree and to have a decent job to care for my family
The livestyle is also pretty neat as I get to sit on my ass all day and solve tasks
Its also pretty easy in my country to find a job with that degree
feeling really comfy with my pick

I thought maybe to go into fog computing or even blockchain in the future, but lets see how the market goes.

You're still in the "believes buzzwords and made up stories about my degree" phase
Good luck and don't get weeded out

please see

It was Nazi scientists that got us to the moon. The last great achievement of the white race.

Hey ehh can you email me at [email protected] for your contact info. Could use a dev

Is that a lot for Australia? Software/Computer engineering student here looking to possibly relocate from Austin to there. I’ve heard the rent is killer though and the pay won’t be the same for sure.

>god tier
>mathematics

Applied mathematics yes, but if you think normal mathematics is god tier you are fucking retarded, good luck finding a job. A philosophy degree is better at that point.

I'm in my last semester and I've already worked for Crytek and SAGA
very comfy

I'm half a paper and some LaTeX fuckery away from a PhD in meteorology. Fun plot twist: I will get the exact same shitty salary afterwards that I'm already getting now, because for some reason a PhD is mandatory if you want to stay in research, but you get zero financial compensation for it. Thanks a lot for that waste of time.

(needless to say we're not talking about permanent positions, because those are a myth in the public sector in Germany)

Med at cambridge uni.

I don't even care lol

computer engineer, I wanted the most flexible degree possible in terms of being able to work on my own. I can build/design/fabricate electronics for extremely cheap and make an easy automated profit with outsourcing manufacturing to asia and using a fulfillment service. I can also do all the developer CS stuff, especially lower level stuff, freelance or my own projects, or get a job for 100k$ starting pretty much whenever I want since my skills are in such high demand.

>Nuclear engineer should be great tier
nuclear engineering should be the highest tier of whatever underground sauerkraut fermentation forum listing it's on

EE classes are much more important for computer engineers, and most schools offer a computer engineering degree. My school offers CE in both the EE and CS departments.

Physics phd bro here....our job market is trash right now....boy do I regret going to grad school

idiot, if u had at least a nice pair of tits, u could
babble about the weather on the telly for 5x ur poormans salary

dauerstellen gibts nicht, damit du fauler ficker dirs nicht bequem machst
wie soll das auch funktionieren? nach fünf jahrgängen müsste die uni doppelt anbauen um euch promovierte vollmongos alle fassen zu können

what area of research
>tfw graduated with a nuclear eng degree and got a job as a physicist
will be going back to get my masters in the near future, probably not the doctorate though

University is paid by taxes in my country so I will be graduating without debts.

I will be getting my master’s in CS this year. I picked it because I liked math and computers.

Ultimately I’m seeing the degree as a bit of a waste. I currently have a job as an iOS developer that’s pretty lax and really not to mentally demanding ( most software development is pretty easy desu unless you’re being swamped by stupid deadlines) Jobs that ACTUALLY use the theoretical stuff I’m learning in grad school are very hard to find. ( machine learning neural networks genetic algorithms metaheuristics optimisation ) and competition is pretty extreme for them. Ultimately I don’t even know how if it’s even worth it to be a Data scientist considering mobile development can pay decently and hell you could probably get into that even without a degree. Since I didn’t pay a single cent for my degree I’m not too upset I’ll just be glad to get my masters over with and focus exclusively on my career.

>general CE
what does this mean? there are many areas you can specialize in in CE in hardware/software/both.

what country? Also yeah I'm pretty pissed that right now in my undergrad I've made more use of my mobile app skills then I will of my expensive ass degree.

Yeah and then you'll kill yourself because of the stress.

Croatia
The things I’ve written probably applies for almost all EU countries.

I see very very few jobs actually demanding skills in ML deep learning and all the other CS stuff.

The job market is mostly web dev (backend or front end) and mobile. Also there’s HW stuff if you like low level languages. The EU is kind of behind the USA when it comes to software though. The top of the top CS guys at my school got jobs at Google and Facebook though so it is possible but the competition is pretty hefty.

The USA has more of these jobs available I believe since the EU is kinda lagging behind when it comes to software.

But like I already said I’m fine being s mobile dev it pays decently and the job isn’t stressful.

This desu. Chemistry and biology set you up to be a lab monkey while philosophy is the one humanity that's somewhat impressive.

>start studying computer engineering
>wow this is nothing but math I fucking hate math
>change major to philosophy, get to study a massive variety of topics that genuinely better me as a person
>currently close to graduating
>already been working a retail job for two years, promoted to highest position on the front end, making $18/hr, could easily move to management if I agree to commit the time and effort, would make $20/hr to start
>get profit sharing from that job, we're in northern cali so we literally print money from all these tech babies that want their gluten free paleo kale infused probiotic kombucha fiber based toilet paper
>work freelancing gigs on the side, usually just throwing up dumb wordpress sites in a couple of hours and billing $100/hr x 30-35 hours, clients usually email me every few months for help modifying stuff
>been teaching myself several programming languages over the years, have a few fun projects I've made with one being fairly successful (4m+ lifetime users, no clue how many active users though), confident I could make some decent software or webapp once I graduate and have more time to myself

cali is so shit though I can't wait to save up some dosh and then buy a massive estate in the midwest, build my own makerspace and just do dumb shit for (you)'s on youtube or whatever

I'm doing my undergrad in Software here in the U.S in a top 10 school, been thinking about doing my Master's in Europe though b/c I just love the continent and hate the prices here. Sounds like you aren't a big fan of software scene over there though? Also you're English is great btw