I'm fairly new at mining but want to get into it...

I'm fairly new at mining but want to get into it. What are some good entry level items I could buy that either plugs into my computer, or runs on its own to mine some coins?

Which coin would you recommend at this point? I know bitcoin isn't for me. But what others should I expect to make $10+ a day?

Other urls found in this thread:

expmine.pro/#
whattomine.com/asic
amazon.com/Rebbic-VER009S-Powered-Adapter-Interface/dp/B076MSJQBS/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1517620254&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=gpu riser&psc=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

So, I was looking at getting a few Rev 2 GekkoScience. But I read a lot of bad reviews.

I was also looking at an S1 or an S3 Antminer. But I don't know how to hook those up. I haven't been able to figure out if they plug into my existing computer, or if I need a separate power supply and set up for it. How do I get it to work?

Can the GekkoScience mine ETC and ETH? Are they sha256? If not, what equipment would I need for those?

So it is clear, I'd like to mine a small amount of coin, then do day trading. I'll be simultaneously mining while also day trading.

>pic

Do they really place these cards so close to each other? There's barely a gap between them.

just buy the coin yuo want. mining is a waste of time and money.

I don't have the funds to spend $1000+ on coin purchasing. I was hoping to pic up $500 of equipment or less and mine it for a few months, then start day trading.

Is this an unreasonable expectation?

If you bought $500 of DGD this morning you'd have $1000 now

i have $5k into mining. i'll be lucky to make money back in years.

Expanse gives me about 5$ per day on some old ass cards...

expmine.pro/#

Building a rig is easy
Getting GPUs is hard
You might want to wait until VOLTA comes out.

ASICs are overpriced as well
Although my brother got a L3+ for $2K and manages $15 a day.

I assume it's just for the pic
290x that close would be a 100C at full load

I don't know about DGD. Does it cycle like Bitcoin and ETH does on a daily basis? I've been pretty good at predicting the ups and downs of those two coins over the last 4 months. It is actually the reason I want to buy some mining gear and do this whole thing.

Yea, that is why I want to day trade what I get. I've been having fun so it is kind of a hobby that I want to see if I can turn a profit from. Plus, I'd be using mostly money that is "free." So if I lose money from a bad trade, all I'm really down is electricity.

>$500 of equipment or less and mine it for a few months

it would buy you a couple of rx470 (if you're lucky) and you'll get like $4/day mining eth. If you flash BIOS and do all the optimizations.
Used to be more but eth fell in value recently. Maybe if you mine some new coin, hodl it and hope that it gets to an exchange someday, so you can dump it and get 2x. Not in the current market probably.
You also will have to consider power costs.

>building a rig is easy
That is the part I'm having a hard time figuring out. Other than the GekkoScience usb devices, I can't figure out what I need to run the other mining equipment. Software, power sources, motherboards, dedicated towers, etc. Some places say I need a dedicated machine, others say I just plug in via usb. But looking at the specific device (S7 for example) it doesn't have a USB connect. Not sure how to set it up.

I'll take a look at that. What are your cards? Would the GekkoScience work for those? Or should I be looking at other devices? Do you pool mine?

You're good at prediction coin price so you want to mine instead of trade?

I want to mine a small amount and do this as a hobby to start. I will then take the small amount and sell it when I get to a day's high, then buy it again with my "free money" when it gets to a day's low. Just day trading. Start as a hobby, then hopefully make a profit and make real income from it.

good time to dump video cards.. price will be coming down fast

Day trading is also a nice hobby. Just buy $500 of Eth now and swing trade it if you think you can.

Ok, so getting back on topic:

What devices would you recommend to get to start doing this? ETH, LTC, EXP (still reading up on this one), etc.

What equipment, which coin, for a hobby to start then day trade earnings for actual profit within 3-6 months? I've been successfully keeping track of BTC, ETH, and LTC.

Yea, was thinking about just doing that. But mining is just an intriguing concept, and I want to figure it out, if not just to know something new.

I just looked up those usb devices, they will never pay for themselves

Using them even with free power will never produce anything. Go to:

whattomine.com/asic

Put 15 Gh/s, that is gigahashes per second. Scroll all the way down...It will produce such an infinitesimal amount of bitcoin or any other sha256 coin

>So if I lose money from a bad trade, all I'm really down is electricity.

Not all. You'll bee losing time too. Even if you don't value your own time there's a factor of increasing mining difficulty - your hashrate will stay the same, but you'll get less and less profit each month. Unless you're good at finding undervalued coins, which have moon potential and can be mined.

The only asics that can produce coins are the higher priced ones over 1k....

Unfortunately finding GPU's is a nightmare right now...I want one to actually game with, but everything is 3x what they are worth

>gaming cards
So what I'm looking for is anything with cuda power, right?

Is there a way to install these externally so as to not screw with my current computer build?

these things:

amazon.com/Rebbic-VER009S-Powered-Adapter-Interface/dp/B076MSJQBS/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1517620254&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=gpu riser&psc=1

>Is this an unreasonable expectation?
Yes, it is extremely unreasonable.

the middle of the road is the 1070s right now, but these are last years mining cards

everything is overpriced....the r9 fury's should be 300 max

>electricity=money
>time=money
You're really down on money.

Isnt harddrive mining supposed to be the next big thing?

Rock on. Thanks.

I'll keep looking to see when the price drops.

I really suggest doing more research, but it is not worth buying the hardware unless the gpu market crashes...

and if you think about it, how can you be sure a used video card has not been overclocked to shit and burned out?

you can't...and you can't find new ones that are worth mrsp....

we're all screwed

Holy fucking shit if you spent literally 5 minutes googling any of these questions you wouldnt need to ask them here you absolute brainlet

Dont bother with gpu mining. Go straight for asics.
Dragonmint 16T costs $1600 and will mine about 0.046btc a month

Where are you seeing the $1600 price tag? Their website doesn't list it for the device, or the power supply.

made more money today on powhpyramid.com than i did from mining with 60 r460s

Doing more research on this I can't help but feel like this is a false product. Even reading the reviews on this device basically has every other person shouting scam, or that they are antminers rebadged. Most report that it will top out at 14T, too.

I'm not a professional in this by any stretch, though. So I'm just speculating on the lack of info they provide on their site.

I bought 5 RX 570's in late May when they were MSRP $180 and they go for $599 now.
I've made a decent return on it, but the amount of profit I get has exponentially gone down since then. Plus I would've made much more money if I just bought the coins instead of mining. I'm getting ready to sell the cards off soon. You'd be suicidal to start mining right now.