I got fired when i should have got a raise

fuck this is some grade a bullshit. my boss asked if i would loan him some money. he said he would pay me back the following month and give me a raise on top of it. he acted like nothing happened and did not even acknowledge it when i confronted him. finally after i hounded him down multiple times he eventually paid back but he acted dumbfounded when i brought up he needed to give me a fucking raise. we got in an argument in front of the office and it got pretty heated at which point he told me i was fired. so not only did i not get the raise but i got fired because of this bullshit. so what are my options now? is a company allowed to fire someone over this?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At-will_employment
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You can be fired for several reasons such as disruption in workplace, rude language, talking back and yelling, maybe you had a good reason to do it. But will he tell the truth? Of course not, get a voice recorder or something next time, or better yet, a contract.

but the thing is i only got into this situation in the first place because of my fucking boss. so how is it my fault when i simply demand what he promised me to begin with?

Capitalism is trash senpai.

Not even a commie but capitalism as it exists right now is garbage

You got your money back and should have been, agitating him further after that was your own decision and you were an idiot if you weren't prepared to go work elsewhere when you went down on that path.

and besides he was yelling at me too so it's not like it was just me causing a disruption

I take it you don't have any evidence that he promised you a raise in exchange for the loan

you should have had it written out in a signed document because word of mouth means literally nothing

sucks you had to learn this lesson this way but alas

>been
been content*

Anyway, your boss is still an asshole and maybe you could take some money out of him in court. But that's a huge risk again and you should be prepped to swallow it up if you lose.

you had a verbal agreement

oh yeah he's gonna get into real big trouble over this, im calling the cops

??? are you autistic OP. your boss is insecure. he feels insecure about being essentially a cuckold to a younger employee. sometimes insecurity turns into backlash. just how men work.

ITT bootlickers

Op you did nothing wrong. Your boss is a parasite and unfortunately he fucked you

like what? it was a conversation where he told me so. i figured he would be a man of his word but i guess not

Stop that, faggot.

RULE #1 OF BUSINESS

GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING

Promises mean shit if it ain't in a legally binding agreement on paper. Enjoy your valuable lesson and don't be stupid again.

>Boomers being men of their word in 2018
I meant like a contract, recording, witnesses that the agreement took place that would back you up

Noone said it was right we just called him dumb for not getting it in writing

does he breath through something in the shape of the 'hand' on a certain captain in Neverland?

He does not need you in his business and he did not want to give you a raise, he paid you off hoping you'd shut it there. You have to write a contract or record it or something for the future otherwise there's no evidence. It doesn't matter what he did or not, nobody is going to believe you, your not a girl with a #MeToo movement.

Either you aren't willing to suck it up and be happy about leaving that shitty-ass job or you don't risk it for nothing. Seriously, was OP expecting a rise from that guy?

Yeah no I agree

The moment he forgot to pay you back was when you should have realized he wasn't and you should've left issue of a raise.

Trust no one. Nothing is personal, it's just business. Never do something for nothing. Always assume anyone you deal with is looking to screw you over, and be extra cautious of those that don't ever seem to do anything nefarious, the first time you see it may surprise you.

guys, look i get it. you all keep telling me i should have got it in writing. but come on, it's easy to say that after the fact. would you really have done that at the time? you mean to tell me if your boss is having a casual conversation with you and tells you he is giving you a raise, you immediately demand he give you a formal document stating it? besides, that's not even the point. is there really no way for me to get my job back on the grounds that he should not be able to fire me over this?

For the record OP, I feel for you. Got fired recently too because I didn't do my due diligence in covering my own ass and assumed people would keep their word. Just keep your chin up, it was probably for the best.

Are you going to next time? Otherwise you've learned nothing from this.

There's nothing else that can be said, now that it's over with you've learnt your lesson, be more cautious in the future with this. You cannot get your job back without any evidence, plus you wouldn't get it back anyway, you'd most likely try to sue him or something. Either way, use this as a learning experience.

i'll try to, but i think people in this thread are underestimating how weird that can be in certain casual conversations. it really depends

Where do you live, OP? If it's somewhere with at-will employment laws, you can be fired for literally any reason or no reason (barring discrimination, and even then that'll be hard to prove in court).

Why would you want to work for someone like that again? Why do you want to do so much work to work under someone like that?

because it's nice to have a job and source of stable income that i was used to

People can be deceiving, I'm sorry this happened. But.. there is nothing we can do to help you.

Apply at other places. You think it will be all fine and dandy once you return after all this shit?

You should never be casual when it comes to promises involving money.

OP WHAT STATE DO YOU LIVE IN

Just always be skeptical and willing to leave the job you have in the future. I'm not necessarily saying that you should have gotten the loan and raise agreement in writing. I am saying that if you WEREN'T willing to get it in writing you should have either said NO or YES but ACCEPT the risk that he could screw you over, and be prepared on what your next actions would be if you did. You probably should have started looking for your next job the moment he started to slip on his word. When you got to the point when you were demanding your money back, you should have professionally quit the moment you did.

California, why?

Probably wants to help you maybe by seeing laws in your country.

You live in an "at-will" state. Sorry bro. You can be fired at any time, for any reason. They don't even have to have a reason. :(

Do you have a source on which states are and aren't?

California is at-will employment. He had every right to fire you, just like you have every right to walk out of a job you don't want.

No sorry man. I just know the west coast. WA, OR, CA... all the same.

There is this google thing though, could h

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At-will_employment

was just wondering if you had one or knew it off hand since you were talking about it
ty

Bro, you may be able to file wrongful termination if you really want to get gangster with it. If your boss basically rage fired you and have no history of disciplinary or other issues you might be able to get some money if you really want to go there

If this was a career job I'd advise OP to focus on clearing out this firing from his record.
He can threaten to use that tactic but his main aim is to come out clean to future employers and he should apologize and act nice to get a settlement.

that's why you take a secret pen recording of all your conversations

hire an attorney and sue him.

I have a feeling that by "the office", OP means Office Depot.

But seriously OP, at the very least you should be able to get unemployment if you don't have anything in your HR file about poor performance.

>wagecucking this hard

It's a bit complicated. It was a start up business that was being terribly run. I was made promises that the job would be one thing (which I have evidence of) and once I moved across the country he basically gave me a completely different, far worse job. When I confronted him in private about it it was basically "get the fuck out if you can't appreciate what you've got," despite the fact that I did the job I was given perfectly (he had just given me a review saying that I was doing a great job not too long before that) while I was there. I was there for only a few months before it happened. I thought about fighting it or trying to take action, but I have no idea how I'd go about that and part of me figured it is just best to move on. It was literally my first job out of college so I'm trying to figure out my next steps.

Sorry for the rant, just needed to bitch about it into the void lmao

It's all good man. Been there too. If there was anything in writing about your future position or benefits of that position you are golden. That is what is known as an "agreement" lol

If not, just fuck his wife or something and move on

Go to your HR department or his superior and tell your story. If you're lucky that bastard will be fired and you get to keep your job.
If that doesn't work go to a lawyer. That shit can't be legal.

What kind of boss asks for a loan? Honestly if people learn about what kind of money i have i laugh in thier face if they ask for a loan, i say thats my hard earned money i have taken risks with its not like i won the lotto. I then tell them if they want a loan go see the bank.

Your boss wanting a loan from you is a big red flag regardless of whether you should have gotten it written down. The guy that’s struggling financially promises you a juicy raise? Cmon op, you should’ve at least had a back up plan