I'm out of my depth, what is happening

I'm out of my depth, what is happening

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/amp/s/www.barrons.com/amp/articles/dangerous-game-shorting-the-vix-1501306194
twitter.com/jimcramer/status/960637428380979200
investing.com/indices/us-30-futures
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm a brainlet
what is vix?

volatility index, you get to buy or sell volatility as a commodity. it's another completely safe financial innovation brought to you by goldman sachs. there's nothing to see here at all.

>stock markets have low variabilit-

short vix to profit

google.com/amp/s/www.barrons.com/amp/articles/dangerous-game-shorting-the-vix-1501306194

I don't understand this shit. I know derivatives to an above average degree (talking normies), but I don't know how to read this. I'm seeing all the traders I follow on twitter talking about this VIX doomsday scenario occurring right now.

When will the first Vixcoins go into print?

>you get to buy or sell volatility as a commodity
just...why do this
jesus christ

The DOW is dead. It will never recover.
Stocks are dead. They will never recover.
Crypto is dead. It will never recover.
Veeky Forums is dead. It will never recover.
Earth is dead. It will never recover.

BTC looks solid now. You need to hold until 2019 at least.

XIV is going to zero. expect a 15% drop at the opening bell tomorrow. I am not fucking joking.

Oh so "they" know

Apparently people were getting rich off of it or something.

i've been thinking this for years but never tried it. the other option would be accumulate buttloads while it is bouncing at 10 and sell as soon as it goes up some decent %

what would the crypto vix be?

Stay away from vix. You’ll just kys.

I see your excursion on /pol/ didn’t go well

You fucking brainlets. As simply as i can put it, the stock market moves too fucking slow and its hard to measure movements, so the VIX basically enhances the stock mkt movements to make the changes easier to catch with your eye.

what the fuck?

Test

THIS IS NOT A FUCKING DRILL

twitter.com/jimcramer/status/960637428380979200

because it actually has real world value goy, unlike your buttcoin, just buy it goy, it's safer than crypto goy, didn't you hear what buffet said about crypto goy, he never said anything against this goy

It’s a measure of overall volatility.

Stock market goes down = VIX goes up. More up it goes, the worse it is.

It went up a lot today. One of the highest it ever has.

>Most people ITT don’t even recognize the damn vix
Wow you really are clueless
Give it a couple of weeks and everything will be peachy again.

Tv people are talking about this now.

lmfao. and these dirty kikes dare to bad mouth crypto?

Volatility is a measure of how quickly and drastically prices change, it does not matter if they move higher or lower. Vix is not inverse to the market.

I recognize the vix, but I didn't know people short it. I didn't even know you could trade it.

You think I'm going to listen to some madman who walks around with 15% battery?

You can’t because it’s an index. But you can trade securities designed to track it. It’s like an SP500 fund, you can’t really buy the S&P unless you buy each stock at it’s appropriate allocation. But you can buy into a fund, or buy an ETF exposed to a portfolio with SP500 stocks.

>yes yes, good goy

What is $XIV and why is it down 80%?

INITIATE OP 2008 PART 2!

What does he mean may have "busted"?

Hitler was right about everything after all

reverse for VIX, VIX spike today and XIV went down 81%. This triggers fund termination and it was liquidated after hours

automated trading going haywire. or jews. Most likely a combination of the two. Per the funds prospectus, it gets liquidated if it drops 80% in a day. Will probably crash the market at the opening tomorrow

Fuck Cramer.

We /greatdepression/ now?

>opening tomorrow
Nah I like my markets justing me all day long

You can't trade VIX itself. VIX represents the implied volatility of the S&P 500 index. If you think of volatility as a variable in an options pricing formula, the implied volatility is the value that yields the option price we observe.

You can trade futures and ETFs on VIX, but long positions will bleed money under normal circumstances (look up roll-yield).

implied volatility of S&P 500 options

>AUUUGHHH SAAAAVEEE MEEEEE OBAMA!!!!

this.

Last two digits of my post = the percentage the DOW collapses tomorrow opening

good sir, there will be plenty of JUST to go around tomorrow. the opening could be some 1987 style AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA though.

order has been restored to the galaxy
investing.com/indices/us-30-futures

yes, i also like to be properly fucked 24/7, as opposed to just during normal business hours

Why did you thought he was wrong before ?

over nine thousand units

i work in finance, got busted on my short vix calls
been printing money selling naked calls the past half year or so, lost 7 mil today

buy the dip. svxy, ziv

> buy or sell volatility as a commodity

Fuck me with a chainsaw.
And (((they))) are saying that crypto market is dangerous?

Implied volatility is an input for the Black-Scholes model used to price options. The other variables (current price, strike price, time to expire, risk-free rate and dividend yield) are directly observable in the market. The implied volatility figure needs to be estimated and cannot be observed directly.

All things equal, higher implied volatility produces more expensive options contacts. Volatility tends to spike during crisis periods. The VIX represents the market's expectation of 30-day volatility used to price S&P 500 options.

If you are a professional, there are very legitimate ways to use the VIX. If you are an individual investor, you'd have to be retarded to trade the VIX and especially retarded to trade VIX ETFs.

>you get to buy or sell volatility as a commodity.

We are back to roughly were we started the year.

naw, this is already over
markets will be back up tomorrow

That's nothing.
How about this: you can short volatility futures.

He scammed his audience with another shitcoin again

Short VIX has probably been the biggest trade in the market for years. There is an unfathomable amount of money in it. If the market explodes I won’t be surprised.