Got scammed on Localbitcoins, how to report?

I was stupid enough to release around $3k worth of BTC (at the time around 3% of my portfolio) on LocalBTC before receiving the transfer (scammer posted shopped screenshots of wire transfer).

>inb4 lol, user, you're retarded and deserve losing your money

Anyway, the account is verified and had 97% positive feedback. The actual owner just said he was hacked and closed his account without an apology or any further contact. So I looked up his verified name, found his employer (thought he was the owner, but it's his dad), called there and simply asked to speak to him regarding localbitcoins.

So today I ended up writing the guy on normiebook, and he has an obnoxiously douchey attitude about it, immediately starts calling me a harrasser and stalker, dumbass, motherfucker, etc., not an inch of remorse or any form of apology. Says we're "both victims," yet I'm the only one who lost anything. I was about to let it go, but this piece of shit, who also has kids and should at least be able to relate, pissed me off so much that I'm gonna report this.

LocalBTC told me to report him to my local police station, but I'm not in the US anymore and he is in FL. How do I go about reporting this stupid POS?

Other urls found in this thread:

jmbullion.com/buying-gold-silver-bitcoin-faq/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

LocalBitcoins is all about small amounts, a fucking pistol and cash. Otherwise you gonna get scammed soon or latee

like the cops are going to give a shit about some petty crime being committed while you were trying to evade taxes

So how do you suggest cashing out moderate amounts without drawing the taxman's attention before having enough to hire a decent accountant and have someone else deal with this shit?

I always wondered how people are buying/selling through localbitcoins without any escrow or a middleman. You meet irl buyer gives you cash and you send coins to his wallet?

dox here.

dox on /b/ but pretend it's you

>I was about to let it go, but this piece of shit, who also has kids and should at least be able to relate, pissed me off so much that I'm gonna report this.
what the fuck
i'm worth 7 figures thanks to crypto but if someone stole 3k from me i would make it my life mission to ruin their life

Localbitcoins IS essentially an escrow service. As I said, I was retarded enough to release escrow before receiving the transfer in my account, because the seller, who had a 97% positive rating and had been active for years, paid a premium and justified the good price by saying it was in return for early release.

I know how dumb it is to essentially not make use of the escrow feature on an escrow service, but there are a bunch of people on there asking for this (had to do so before with a PayPal transaction), and I simply didn't think anyone would be stupid enough to trade dozens of BTC volume on there without fucking 2FA.

I've used localbitcoins before, usually just find the person with the highest feedback and do the following:
him -> to your paypal -> you send it to your bank acc -> maybe unlink your bank acc from localbitcoins(?) -> release coins

Just pay those taxes

Yeah, I eventually will, especially now that I live in a country that actually provides decent social services instead of wasting it all on war and trickle down.

I just didn't wanna deal with this shit so far (have been working for almost 5 years but am freelancer having moved between 3 different countries since I started working, so I never felt the urge to figure out my tax situation and have just been winging it) and have been doing pretty well just selling to locals direct-depositing into my local bank account so I can immediately verify receipt.

Buy bullion online and sell it at your local gold/silver shop.

I like prices on here well enough.
jmbullion.com/buying-gold-silver-bitcoin-faq/

I'm sure most gold/silver shops report when you sell/buy large sums, so just buy small amounts and cash them out occasionally. Or pay a few friends to help you launder through different shops.

Principal is important.

This is why you buy crypto using securities like GBTC

Haha, I probably would pursue it much more as well if the account owner hadn't been hacked himself, user ;)

>HELLO POLICE ID LIKE TO REPORT THIS MAN WHO STOLE MY MONEY WHILE I WAS TRYING TO EVADE TAXES

>EVADE TAXES
you're selling bitcoins, that fiat money goes straight to your bank account via localbitcoins
if he was selling for cash maybe you wouldnt look like a retard saying that

If LocalBTC was expressly used for evading taxes, I'd get your point, but it's a legal p2p exchange that happens to be used by people to evade taxes. So are Amazon gift cards. Does that mean I can't contact Amazon support if a seller doesn't deliver the goods bought with a gift card I got in exchange for BTC?

LBC is a legit company. Report the theft and he WILL get fucked hard.

That's what I was thinking. And what are the odds of this guy proving he was really hacked? He can't prove the wallet my BTC was withdrawn to wasn't his and he can't prove he wasn't using a VPN to log into his own account, then claiming he was hacked based solely on IP address.

I'm a decent person and didn't wanna cause this guy any trouble, especially given the fact that he has a prior arrest record for drug possession and has 2 kids, but he was such a fucking dick about me simply CONTACTING him and asking him to resolve this situation.

>hello police my bitcoins were stolen
>ok sir who stole them
>the guy i gave them to
>ok sir sounds like you gave them to him thats not steali-
>I WANT MY BITCOINS BACK
>ok sir can you give us a physical description of the items stolen for a report
>they are virtual numbers
>ok sir, i think we can help you, here are som virtual numbers that match your description - 89203862.23847:2089
>t-thanks

kek'd

although:

>ok sir who stole them
>this guy who sent me a photoshopped confirmation document. Here is the transaction record, officer, and this is his name, address, phone number, his parents, his employer, his prior arrest record, etc.
>ok sir, we'll pay this crook a visit

Although:
>we got two more detectives working on this one. We got em working in shifts!

OP where does he live? I live in Tampa, Florida

ill pay him a visit

The dude didn't get hacked, he stole your fucking BTC. Every scammer says "I got hacked". You have a lot to learn, young grasshopper

show us is home in google earth please

Well, it does seem very unlikely that someone who maintained an account in very good standing (97% positive feedback) for several years and traded between 20 and 50 BTC volume in around 30 trades suddenly felt the need to scam someone for 0.29 BTC...

>MUH SON HAS AUTISM

Haha, thanks, big guy!

>hey, hey, heyyyyy. I'm Carlos Matos from Tampa City, Florida, and I'm here to retrieve three-hundred, uhm, three-thousand dollars on a one-day basis so this random guy on Veeky Forums can be a little bit more financially independently.

>>OP

Just wait until Payfair

unironicaly post his address
I could also call the police myself and report the incident

don't let a scammer win

Where in FL?

If you make it worth my time, i can guarantee you i can get your coins sent back to you in less than 3 days.

You call, and yes, im serious.

Send me an email to [email protected]
and ill see what i can do to help you out