Is a 25x leverage too high...

Is a 25x leverage too high? I want to time the bottom and make a long-term long position to hold until bitcoin reaches a new ATH, but I'm worried I'll get liquidated by volatility. 10x would be safer but an extra 15x gains sounds very nice indeed.

25x is insane. Especially for an asset that can swing 30% in a single day.

I get anxious when I use 5x. Usually I go 2-3x.

Start with a smaller position and grow it as momentum picks up. You’ll most likely not nail down the bottom very well, so the most important point is not to get liquidated.
When your position is well in the green, and the price pulls back a bit, that is a good time to grow it.

Ps. the pros recommend not to trade with more than 3x leverage.

Save yourself the time and just use 100x leverage.

i once made big fat mama money with x100

but then...

i lost it all

doing 33x margins past to days... it been good easy to predict 2 percent swings

For long-term it's too risky, random white noise might liquidate you. I like 25x for scalping though.

Where can you set a 33x margin? Doesn't it jump from 25x to 50x?

Max 15x, ive been wiped out too many times to tell.

Click the little box vesice your margin multiplier and you can set to to the first decimal place even

Yes 25x is too much. You might get lucky once. You might get lucky twice, but eventually you'll lose everything. FYI we may have hit the bottom on the 6th of Feb a bit before the SCC hearing. However, any significant bad news could make bitcoin crash again. The Tethered sword of Damocles is hanging over us right now.
I personally think that if today we break the current ceiling (~8600-8650) then there's a good chance the price will rise significantly over the next couple of days. Personally I'm not trading today yet, but waiting to see what happens.
If you pay attention you know that the price is constantly oscillating with a very large amplitude. I believe this is the result of margin trading, and people with high leverage get liquidated because of this, even if the trend is going in their favour.
This: I'm made a personal rule of thumb never to trade with more than 10x now. Because this has happened to me as well.

Was that you the other day who took a 3 hour shower?

Oh wow, thanks user! This is perfect. 10x was too safe for me but 25x was too risky. Now I can go somewhere in the middle, probably 15x.

>You might get lucky once. You might get lucky twice, but eventually you'll lose everything.
I only need to get lucky just once, since I wanna hold this for preferably months. Just need it to move away from my liquidation price and begin the uptrend and then I'm safe

Just make sure to not use your full stack and set a limit order for about the same amount that youre trading at jhst above your liquidation, thatll put your average buy at half of what you got in at and give you much more room for it to fall.

>I only need to get lucky just once
oh boy...

And im pretty sure orders expire, although i may be wrong

Wait they do?

I was gonna dedicate 25% of my overall portfolio to this margin trade, and put all of that 25% into it

Just remember its still pretty easy to get liquidated at 15x leverage. Of that 25% dont put it all in at once, give yourself a safety net for about 15 or 20% of the value of that 25% waiting at just before your liquidation point

>then I'm safe
No you're not. Take a good look at the volatility. You're never safe. Especially if you get greedy and decide to wait instead of cashing closing a profitable position
>I only need to get lucky just once
What if you don't get lucky? How much are you willing to lose before to finally do get lucky?

Eh, I'm pretty sure we're all talking about XBTUSD, and it's not called a PERPETUAL inverse swap contract for nothing.
Bitmex:
>This product does not have an expiry date and is able to closely track the underlying reference Price Index through various mechanisms,

Brainlet question inc:
Can you lose more than the money you “put into” the short?

How do you grow a position after it is open? You cant increase the contracts afterwards ri...right?

Meh, I got lucky on a few trades turned 0.1 into 5btc on this downtrend. Just do x50 and let it bounce.

In theory no. Technically yes.
The system calculates a liquidation price for your position (there is literally a calculator on bitmex that helps you see what your liquidation price would be, and you are always reminded of it before you open a position.
When a position gets liquidated in this way then you lose 100% of your margin, that means 100% of the bitcoins you invested into the trade.

but the rest of the balance which wasn't invested stays safe right?

>I want to time the bottom
user, I...

Well shiet if you plan on shorting just give me your fuckin money since youre throwing it away anyways.
Oh ok good to know, they also have futures there too right? Maybe thats what i was thinking of.
You can increase leverage of the trade and get some of your margin back to increase the stack averaging your buy in, this isnt recommended. You should just allocate funds to your main position and have extra on the side to add on the way up or down.

Yes, but I forgot to mention that due to price fluctuations, the system automatically allocates more or less of your wallet to your margin. I don't know the exact math behind this, though I believe they explain in the resources section of the website.

Let's say that you invest 0.5 XBT into a trade and you still have 1 XBT in your balance. Then you get liquidated. You will lose 0.5 XBT plus or minus a small amount.

Yes, they have several futures contracts. The first one for March 30, the second one for June 29.

The allocation of more margin from wallet happens on positions opened cross user. You know about isolated and cross margin ri...right user?

I was speaking from experience. This could have happened for some other reason, but I have only traded with an isolated margin.

Unless you "cross-trade" which uses your entire account balance

Thanks OP just longed 100x

Thanks OP just got liquidated 100x on long

DON'T DO IT OP

stick to the 10x. I got greedy and lost a bunch using 25x and 50x. I won't even talk about 100x, that shit is ridiculuous. 10x is great.

Yeah thanks user, you're right. I needed that warning. Was getting a bit carried away I think, especially seeing posts like these What do you think about a compromise of, say, 15x?

BitMex must make some serious fucking cash if you look at their REKT-bot.

Actully now that I think about it, would it actually be more profitable to long ETH? Considering I'd like to hold this position for the better portion of this year

Bitmex wiped me of 100k. You think you understand the market and can time it, then it swings around to fuck you in the ass. No matter how good your Ta and fa are you cannot time this market. Only if you are able to actively manipulate the price on multiple exchanges. Using anything over 5x leverage is pure gambling. It's fun when you make 1k in under a minute but just realize this market had no regulations so It is controlled by manipulation. Also don't go on tilt after you lose and continue to bet. You will not recoup your losses tilted

>lost 100k
were u putting it all in like the reddit gang of retards?

that post is bullshit I don't buy it. during this downtrend we saw strong supports and bounces at 8k, 7.5, 7, 6.5 and 6. He would definitely get liquidated with 100x in order to make that amount.

you can use 15x, but i think it's more or less about your liq price at this point. bots have orders near psychological resistances and supports, so if you are shorting at the mark price of 7400, your liq price should be somewhere around 6850-6900.

Well those positions pay other peoples positions. When someone gets rekt someone else is making mad cash. They make most of their money on fees.

Well you have to take into account funding. Its usually shorts paying longs anyways but its possible for it to eat into your margin

Can somebody explain to me why they testnet is total garbage?
You have a great interface, on a liquid market, then run a demo market which is selling your product, with huge spreads, and basic flatlining/spike candles of 200 points, what's the fucking point?
Does everybody just test with a small amount of real cash?

thats how i learned desu

do 100x quickies

That sounds very risky