Why is bitcoin so male dominated?

Well Veeky Forums?

ft.com/content/259734ca-0b95-11e8-839d-41ca06376bf2

Other urls found in this thread:

women-coin.com
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because men and women have different personalities and we like to do different things.

> that face
well of course he knows.

>subscribe to read
no thx

A decade older than my brother, I take some things for granted. I have a professional job, a degree, a credit card; he stays up later than me, knows the cool music and can travel for months at a time. So it came as a surprise to find that his investments were raking it in — because, unlike me, he has put money into bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies.

Perhaps even more painful to admit, he encouraged me to buy bitcoin five years ago, when it was worth about $100, far below the $7,088 it is at the time of writing (or the almost $20,000 it was at its peak). It was an offer only a 17-year-old boy could propose: give me your money, I’ll invest it in bitcoin and give you a share of the proceeds. It turns out — even after the recent fall in bitcoin — it was an offer I was foolish to decline.

I am not alone. Ask most people outside Silicon Valley whether they own any bitcoin, and the answer will still probably be no.

So what do early adopters have in common? One factor is gender. As bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies such as Ethereum have soared over recent months, it is mainly men who have bought in.

Accurate data on who holds the anonymous currencies are hard to find, but Uphold, a virtual currency wallet service that does background checks on its users, says 75 per cent are men, while Coin Dance, which tracks statistics on the bitcoin community, found 97 per cent of engagement was from men. If men like my brother were riding high on returns, why weren’t women?

Cryptocurrencies are, of course, risky: their price is highly volatile and in some cases their digital exchanges have been hacked.

Because, she is a poor cunt

Anna Dreber, an economics professor at the Stockholm School of Economics, studies differences in risk tolerance between men and women. She cites one study that showed a 64 per cent probability that a random man would be prepared to take more risk than a random woman. Yet that alone is not enough to account for the difference between male and female bitcoin investors.

Much is down to information flow. Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies first became popular in the geekiest parts of the tech and finance industries, both male-dominated. The early word was spread mainly on Reddit and forums for discussing video games. Mt Gox, once the biggest exchange for virtual currency before it was hacked, started life as a platform for trading playing cards for a fantasy game called Magic: The Gathering.

Stephanie Hardesty, an investor who also describes herself as a bitcoin anthropologist, says she became interested in the currency in 2013 for two reasons. First, a male friend who was a software developer started telling her about bitcoin. Second, she found bitcoin allied with another interest of hers: cross stitch. After discovering she could cross stitch the QR codes that link to bitcoin wallets, she now keeps her public address as cross-stitchcode on her desk at work and her private key safely offline, in a cross-stitched cold-storage wallet.

Hardesty believes that as cryptocurrencies become more mainstream, they are attracting more diverse investors: more women, more people of colour and more leftwingers.

Of course, now bitcoin is more mainstream there may be far less money to be made — and there’s a lot of risk attached, as its price drop of almost 50 per cent since the start of the year shows. When we spoke, Hardesty thought it would be better late than never for me, a “sad no-coiner”, to buy bitcoin.

this

Her advice is to avoid the sometimes complex process required to buy and store cryptocurrencies, head to a bitcoin ATM and lock the receipt in a fire-safe box. Or I could just ask my brother for help. Then again, given the latest market turmoil, maybe I’ll start calling myself a “lucky no-coiner” instead.

because women cant do anything beside take massive fucking cocks in their "once tiny" little fucking holes.

Women take no risks that's why. That's also the reason they aren't higher up on the corporate ladder.

They only want their piece of the pie once everything is proven and the kinks have been ironed out. Oh and it shouldn't be too much work either they don't give 2 shits if garbage collectors, construction or miners are a male dominated group.

Gender stereotypes. Even feminist adhere to a stereo type.

(((Kuchler)))

Women are risk-averse. It's that easy.

I'm a girl, I'm suppose to do girly things. Look at me, LOOK AT ME! I want attention! Coding?! Eew! What's that?

But there are some that are cool.

To be honest it's OK that women are like that. I date a teacher of 5/6 year olds who has absolutely zero interest in technology or finance and does pretend to but I know for a fact I would never have the patience in a million years to do her job either. She's perfectly happy to do what she's good at.

>mfw (((journalist))) gets to another fellow womyn for help and get told she's a sad nocoiner
is Stephanie /ourgal/ ?

Beat me to it.

We need to get this to 4k so they get out NORMIE GET OUT NORMIE GET OUT NORME GET OUT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

How dare you she's a quality writer, only the day before she wrote this incisive piece.

>Then again, given the latest market turmoil, maybe I’ll start calling myself a “lucky no-coiner” instead.
My sides.
>clearly analyzes the mistake she made
>perpetrates it again

When I think about how much effort some people I know put into societally useful jobs for how little money they get back it genuinely boggles my mind that people get paid to churn out this low effort guff.

We have shitcoins. They have women-coin.

women-coin.com

Wait, what!? She lacked the curiosity to do her own research and thinks her mistake was to not let her brother spoonfeed her something she had no idea about? And then she hints that the answer to her question could be, that this technology was born in a field where women are artificially excluded... rip

This.
It's just biologically printed in us, men have to take risk to obtain a quality partner in order to obtain a descendance while women on the opposite must be risk averse if they want the same hting.
This fundamental difference resonates in society and that's why feminism is a nonsense, they want all the opportunities that males experiences without the downsides, you can't have it both way.

It could be cultural or it could be natural gender-differences, but women are more risk-averse than men, which by extension makes them less entrepreneurial.

Women are also less into "geeky" things like computers/technology. It's getting better now, but this is the reason why a few years ago engineering was basically completely male-dominated - no girl wanted to major in it.

>Well Veeky Forums?

IQ extreme end of the bell curve has a far greater percentage of males.

Since there is zero barrier to entry in crypto, I have to conclude that women either want to be poor or are subhuman levels of stupid.

she would probably like a proportion reallocated to vagina because vagina.

GLASS CELININGS WHEN THEY WENT TO COINBASE INVISIBLE GLASS CEILINGS SPRANG FROM ANGRY VAGINAS AND TRAPPED THEM SO THEY NEVER VERIFIED

>bitcoin anthropologist
Soon all the neets on Veeky Forums will be able to call themselves bitcoin historians, bitcoin analyst, bitcoin therapist, etc.

Men tend to be more of a risk-trader than women. It’s not more complicated than that.

In normie/boomer investing, research shows that this actually leads to more favorable outcomes for women. Google it, I’m not bullshitting, women tend to be better investors than men because they’re more likely to hodl (and win long-term) while men will try to day trade and inevitably fail at it (not because they’re men, but because day trading burns people more often than not).

But crypto’s different. It’s so risky that it turns most women off but somehow this magical Internet money shit actually works. Women aren’t too dumb to invest in it, obviously. It’s just that crypto is so nuts that what would normally fuck people over (investing in something that looks like a giant Ponzi scheme) is actually legit and is making us all rich.

Anyone mind posting a screenshot of pastepin link to the article?

The Jews are asking me to subscribe to read it.

copypasted it earlier but have a screen anyway

Thanks man

I really really like this timeline

Adds a bit of nuance and makes sense actually. Reflects all of the bell curve arguments.

>kuchler

>She lacked the curiosity
She lacked time due to doing things that aren't considered get-quick schemes to put yourself forward in life.

One can have curiosity, if the only intebnse thing in their life is playing video games.

>someone puts work into writing article
>wants to be rewarded for it
>nah, I demand shit for free!
>later on, blames feminism for rightfully pointing out their self-entitilement

If a woman wants the benefits of being a crypto millionaire, all she has to do is find a man who is a crypto millionaire, lay down and let him ejaculate in her vagina.

A man has to spend months and years looking at meme charts, doing research, watching Andreas videos. executing trades, checking Blockfolio and posting pink wojaks.

I'm all for paying for the FT since it's pretty much the best news source out there so long as you understand its biases but I have no qualms giving that shit away for free lmao

>Why is bitcoin so male dominated?