/whisk/

Let's have a whisky thread Veeky Forums. Recent purchases? Old favorites? Currently drinking?

Other urls found in this thread:

greattasteawards.co.uk/top-50/glen-marnoch-islay-single-malt-whisky-aldi-uk/
thewhiskyexchange.com/c/314/speyside-single-malt-scotch-whisky?filter=true#productlist-filter
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I've just poured a glass of Old Pulteney 12. It's insane to me how reasonably priced this is comparatively for such a characterful whisky. Really underappreciated.

had some jim beam devils cut on the weekend wasn't bad at all for just mediocre bourbon

Grandpas cough medicine representing.

god thats exactly what it tastes like struggled through a bottle of it

never again

Taste fine with a couple of ice cubes to me.

nah rye isn't for me

tastes to much like medicine to me

This is my shit right here. I've only gotten it in bars, wasn't even sure if they sold Rye in stores

It's pretty common in the US. They sell a few kinds, though. 101 is the only Wild Turkey I like. The rest taste like what they are, cheap whiskey.

Whiskey is a meme.

but i like memes

I have been drinking this recently:

greattasteawards.co.uk/top-50/glen-marnoch-islay-single-malt-whisky-aldi-uk/

At £18 a bottle you really can't complain. It is very nice for a daily drinker, a lot better than some more expensive stuff I have had.

Current favourite is Highland Park 18, or maybe Jura Prophecy.

Crown Royal is my favorite. Not just because it tastes good and is affordable, but the drawstring cloth bag the bottles come in make GOAT dice bags for Veeky Forums related activities.

To me it tastes like cherry cough syrup, and dust. And even a little of it shits up any bourbon its in because its so strongly flavored. Which is unfortunate because its flavor is usually gross.

Overpriced sugar liquor

Recent purchase - Kilchoman PX cask
Aged 5 years. Tastes young. Aggressive flavors. I'm usually a fan of PX finishes, but this one just didn't sit well with me. It's all over the place flavor-wise.

Old favorites - Ardbeg Uigedail. I keep coming back to this one. Extraordinary balance and poise for what I'm assuming is a young spirit. No age statement. I just hope that time and success doesn't ruin this one.

Currently drinking - Well nothing currently, but last night I had a glass of Black Arts 4.1. It's a breathtaking unpeated scotch that you can nurse all night and never get tired of. Worth the high price tag. pic related

This is no longer true

Unless you want to pay for some premium shit that barely tastes any different they only give the bags around Christmas time.

I doubt that considering I bought one with a bag just about a month ago. 14 USD for a 375mL bottle with a bag. Might be a bit pricey for whiskey, but a similarly sized dice bag will run you about 10 USD in game shops, plus I get a bottle of pretty good tier whiskey out of it.

I've tried my way through most of the popular brands of scotch, but I just keep coming back to the 10year Laphroig. It's just so salty and unique. I realize how this might sound like "muh 'froig", but I just consistently enjoy it every time.

Is it worth getting the 15yo while it's still available? I didn't even enjoy the Quarter Case that much, so I'm a little hesitant to buy a bottle thats 2-3 times more expensive than the 10yo

Shared a bottle with a friend a couple of years ago. Didn't really think too much of it. I guess it's not my kind of whisky. It was good, but not delicious.

It depends on if you think you can afford it, really. It's great whisky, but it probably won't blow you away.
I prefer Lagavulin in general though. It's smoother without being less flavoured.

Haven't tried the 15, but I did go through two bottles of the 18 while it was around. It was so delicious and easily drinkable. Found out it was gone. Regretted not buying more.
I can imagine the 15 is probably similar, but I haven't tried it yet. Also I don't know where you're getting your pricing info from, but locally I get the 10 year for $42 and 15 year for $70.

Just got: Glendronach 15 Revival, Benromach 10, Glenfarclas 12

Love the Glendro more than life itself. Went and bought another bottle the week after because I also discovered its been discontinued.

Benromach is lovely as well, with a splash of peat in there. Well-balanced.

Glenfarclas I'm mixed on, I've had a few drams I loved, but then I've had probably 3-4 drams I didn't finish. I've never had a whisky I've not finished so many drams of. Definitely wouldn't re-purchase.

Also loving my bottle of Kilchoman Machir Bay for the peatier aggressive stuff.

Fuck. The 18 is gone? That was the best Laphroaig I'd ever had by far. The most balance between malt / peat. I have a bottle of 10 I keep for guests who like peatier stuff. I've been trending way harder towards sweeter sherry-finished stuff lately.

My dad used to have a blanket made from those that his college gf made for him but he threw it out after the cat peed on it.

I been to their distillery on the bourbon trail. Shit was awesome.

Is there some way to get used to whiskey? It makes me want to vomit just smelling it and i can barely keep down a shot? How do you guys drink it? Do you sip it over ice? Does it numb your taste buds if you drink it like that and let you be able to taste it better or something? Everyone in my family likes whiskey but i could never stand it

I found it to be acquired taste. Much like steak or beef tartarre. You try it once and think to yourself meh. But then after a while you think back on the taste and want to experience again. If you can, dont mix it at first, just add some water or ice, sip on it while shitposting or something.
Going with less mainstream branded blends at first seems to save you from shitty experience. What I mean get a William Lawsons or some other non-threat blend, defo not the paint thinner that Jonnie Walker red is, for example.
Or if you have the chance, go to a whisky pub and try out some highland/lowland single malts.

>rye tastes like cough syrup meme
I can't understand this, if you never developed an appreciation for rye bread, or anything that has rye in it then I could see the mix up, but whenever I taste a(good) rye it has a bit of a spicy edge that fresh rye bread does.

I made myself sick on that stuff the other night. I don't know if I'll ever have any whiskey again after that, the memory of the smell and the taste makes me want to throw up.

It will get better, just takes time.
I got sick off of Jim Beam Black(not a very good whiskey in the first place), for some reason I decided it was a good idea to drink 6 ounces in a very short amount of time.
Couldn't drink bourbon for months.

I've spent a lot of time making the rye-est rye bread one could possibly make, which I enjoy, but I still find rye whiskey to taste like cherry cough medicine for some reason. It isn't the same.

That sounds like quite the endeavor user. I'm sorry rye whiskey doesn't taste good to you.

Live in scotland, near a bunch of distilleries but never tried whisky.

any recs?

I drink a lot of this.

just go on a distillery tour, you'll get to sample a few different types.

are you mixing it with something, thats the only reason to go blended.

I drink it clean. THB I drink it because it is cheap.

Not true. There are some blended whiskys that taste great on their own.

Although famous grouse is not one of them. Might as well just drink some sewage.

Who else /poorfag/ here

I am, I still manage to pay my bills and get a nice whiskey every once in a while.
I also don't drink much, I've got 5 bottles of various whiskeys with amounts in them varying between 20%-90%

Me

I got 2 bottles of this recently as I heard that it was GOAT and a good starter for nip whiskeys.

It smells really nice but less smooth than expected; when I sip it I can't taste any of the flavours over the burn. I was a bit underwhelmed.

do you guys like to smoke with your whiskey?

Yes. Smoking and drinking go hand in hand for me. Cigar, pipe, or a cigarette. Depends on my mood really. I also like smoking when I drink coffee.

uigedail is from reserve barrels between 15-25 years iirc.

also im jelly, want to get my hands on some 4.1

Erryday homie.

Yamazaki isn't my favorite jap either.
Got some Hibiki 17 for Christmas two years ago and was blown away. My introduction to jap whisky. The bottle didn't last until February. Had no idea it was a $250 bottle. Went to the store for a re-up and got floored by the price. Ended up walking out of there with a $95 Hibiki 12 and a $50 Nikka Coffey Grain, both of which were great on their own, but I miss that 17, man. Shit was so good.

Yeah. I've heard that oogie is made from the older sherry barrels, but also that they mix in the young ex-bourbon barrels for that peaty kick. I guess what I was saying is that with oogie you get that sherry mellow sweetness and the peaty nose, but it's so well balanced that you aren't getting that fire that you tend to get from most NAS younger malts.

On the topic of younger malts - Octomore 6.3 is an insane peat monster. Ignore the 64% abv and don't add water for the first couple sips. The ridiculous alcohol content actually helps manage the off the charts peat levels in this thing and you can taste the toffee sweetness. Then you dilute it and the peat comes alive. Smoke, engine oil, moss, honey, butter, and then a floral finish that you can still taste the next morning.

Yer ma is a meme

why dose not glass fill

fuck magic, not cool

I love whisky and I love smoking a pipe but they just don't go together for me for some reason. Coffee on the other hand is the GOAT drink for when I'm smoking a bowl.

Just ordered a bottle of pic related. Been sipping on a 10 yr Talisker the last couple of weeks and while I liked it less than Lagavulin, Caol Ila and Laphroaig (my favourite peaty Island whiskies) it's really really grown on me. It literally tastes like the sea.

In any case, the Caol Ila will be a great replacement as it's a firm favourite of mine.

Any good Speyside recommendations? I've only just started drinking them and I'm really beginning to like them.

I'll accept any recommendation you guys give me between 35 and 45 quid.

thewhiskyexchange.com/c/314/speyside-single-malt-scotch-whisky?filter=true#productlist-filter

FOAR YEEW

Buckfast, tonic, wine..... Sung in a cheery advert like sting

..... In reply to my self... Sing it like three blind mice

BENROMACH

Tastes 15 years old at 10 years old.

Thanks for the suggestion I'll try it! Not a bad price either..32quid

This and glenlivet

Isn't that because that's the NAS version of Yamazaki 12? I believe it's Yamazaki 12 that's actually the good starter whisky from Japan.
>saw Hakushu 12 for sale
>selling for 60 dollars over its normal price (almost 200% markup)
>doesn't even have a box
Noped the fuck outta that store.

Excuse me, 100%.

I can highly recommended this, a little pricey though

Pretty new to whiskey, tried glenfiddich 12 and knocnando 15 mostly. I had a taste of this last night and I really liked the taste of smoke (probably has a term for it?), I bought a bottle and I was wondering if there was any other I should try with that same kind of taste? If it's not too expensive like the talisker, all the better.

Completely new to whiskeys. Friend bought the Famous Grouse, I bought the Naked Grouse. Price difference was almost nonexistent, but naked grouse had completely different tier taste. It's easy and laid back, soft. At least comparing to famous grouse, it had this ridicilous, kinda stingy taste.
Will surely buy Naked Grouse again, like the bottle too. Anyone experimented with the grouse family of whiskeys? What does it mean when whiskey is "blended"? Is it a mix of different kind of whiskeys? Like I said, I'm a newb.

I drink Bushmills

Good for the price

If I'm being poor I buy a jug of Jim Beam though. Tastes bad, but it's better than vodka or gin or rum at that price.

This guy has good taste

Yeah its OK got a 1ltr through duty free, its a good representation of the area

Yeah good start mate, its called peat, that's where the smokey flavours come from predominantly from the Isle of Islay, plenty of big bold flavours to explore from that region.

i think old crow is better than beam for the price.

Pic related.
It's affordable and I personally like the taste.
Quite possibly a meme whiskey, but usually my go to.

Glenlivet 12 if I had the choice (and didn't want to spend too much), otherwise I like trying anything really. One of my customers brought a bottle of Buffalo Trace and it's decent.

Bushmills is much better to be honest

I like both bushmills and makers.
I just like makers more for some reason.

That's an entirely different kind of whisky. Doesn't make sense to compare bourbon to irish whisky.

Tonight's malt, from back before they went NAS with this line.

Go for the No.12 instead. It's well worth it.

what do malt mates think of ralfy

If he really can taste all that I'm impressed. I usually only detect about 4 different flavors in any whisk(e)y

I want to add I'm not huge on whisky though. I like beer more.

Comfy vids. I differ in opinion most of the time, but his analysis is always on point.

Well recommended my friend. Love that spicy finish. Amazon had it at a crazy reduced price during their lightning deals, I would suggest keeping an eye out there.

Love him. Really opened my eyes to the world of a good dram.

It's a fairly new offering so I figured I'd give it a try.

Glenfiddich Millinium ftw

Gonna go buy a single malt today and I'd like a recommendation.
My budget - anything under $300 usd
What I like - Islay, Anything heavily peated, Sherry (PX or otherwise) finished, Madeira finished, experimental distilling methods (Octomore, Supernova)

Currently contemplating - Bunnahabhain 25, Octomore 7.4 Virgin Oak, Bruichladdich Cuvee 382 - La Berenice, Bowmore 16 cask strength.

Is Dickel 12 superior to the barrel select version too?

I've heard it's just gimmick shit.

Does it live up to the hype?

>$300
Don't spend that much on a single bottle unless you're a collector. Don't know how much they go for in your area but you can get at least 4 really good bottles with that money. Get one from each region if you're a beginner

Please stop having money you are offending and triggering me.

Not pictured, my Laphroaig 18 and Dalmore 18 which are at a friends house. Just finished the glenmorangie nectar d'or so I left the bottle.

Favorites of the group would have to be the Highland park 18, and Laphroaig 18.

I just got back from vacation, I visited a wonderful place...

I wonder whats in here...

Something amazing, if I lived near here I might die

All whisky and bourbon except for one small section at the very end, and reasonable prices for a bar.

I stopped drinking whisky. Was out of control. But Wiser's will always have a place in my degenerated liver.

Based Ralfy is informative as all hell but manages to also avoid being snobby and pretentious.

Alas, I only had two. Both were wonderful. I wish I had recorded some notes about them... I don't remember much about the rest of the night.

If you're ever in Auckland, New Zealand, be sure to go here though.