Hi

Hi,

I'm a physics PhD student with a modest income in a country where research is pretty underpaid, and I need a little bit more cash. I'm always quite busy so I haven't much free time. What are some activities that I could do to earn a little extra? Preferable things I can do from home. Hell, I've even considered online poker. Most I can afford to invest are a few hundred.

Oh and try not to turn this thread into a shilling thread. Give some alternatives to crypto if you can.

Other urls found in this thread:

nuclearphynance.com
quantnet.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Do you have any talents? Or did you just waste your life on education?

I don't consider studying a waste of time. Not bragging but I consider myself very good at maths and physics, and people tell me I explain physics and maths concepts pretty well. I can code, too. I guess those are my "useful" talents.

if your coding is good, try freelancing

Kneepads

Provide market sentiment on SHARPE PROTOCOL

PhD in E&E Engineering here. What's your research about?

Well since you are good in math and physics why don't you try algorithmic trading? What do you code in? Matlab I assume? Or R or something?

Active matter. Basically, matter that consists of particles that consume energy from their enviorment to auto-propel or exert forces. That constantly drives them away from equilibrium, making them really hard to model and study under the common laws of thermodynamics or statistical physics, for example, but it also provides them with riveting propierties. With matter like that, you can create self-healing or self-propelling materials, which is pretty cool. I'm focused on the mathematical and computational modelling of that kind of matter. More of a theoretical point of view.

I see it as a waste of time if you didn't do anything else besides it, which you fortunately did. Seems like you'd be a good teacher. Maybe consider giving courses on some things you're familar with? Coding always works.

I can code in C, Matlab, Mathematica and I can write bash scripts. Not that I am an expert but I consider myself kind of knowledgeable.

Interesting stuff, I'm doing modelling myself. Good luck in your research.

Yeah that is something I've definately considered, maybe giving private physics lessons to struggling undergraduate students or something like that. I just thought it would be very time-consuming.

>alternatives to crypto
>Still not owning ANY crypto in 2018
You deserve to be a poor academic cuck

I did not say i don't own crypto. I do own small amounts of NEO and TNC (I can't really afford a serious investment). I'm quite interested in the technology. I just said that I didn't want crypto on this thread because it would turn this thread into a shilling shitfest otherwise. I want to know other interesting ways of making some pocket money.

knowledgeable in programming? The programming part doesn't really matter as long as its not something really fucking esoteric like Haskel as you will struggle. Thats why I asked. Matlab will do just fine provided you have access to extended packages.
You also mention experience with computational modelling, which is another plus. If you are cool with PDE, stochastic processes and stochastic calculus in general, linear functional analysis, etc you will probably do more than just well quant trading, so look into that. Also, a ton of pricing models can be developed from physics modelling all of that should be right up your ally.

How about making a coin? I have an idea.

That sounds interesting, and I do seem to have enough background to get myself into that. Do you know sites where I can read more about it?

i-is that you OP? :3
if it is, i'll send you 10k c:

Yes dat me.

Sorry, I was making assumptions. I guess you just started late if you're still financially struggling.
Isn't there any potential business opportunities with your research?

you're really pretty
post eth address and i'll send you some :D

It's okay. I did get in later than earlier, so yeah I did not really make much out of crypto. I guess I could. For example, I could work in private quantum cryptography research, or in petrol businesses, since petrol companies are interested in active matter (my field of research). The thing is I'm quite busy with my PhD right now, at the same time I need extra money.

its a pretty vast field so there are plenty of resources, books, etc. around. Just look for some kind of quant finance intro on google. Just to familiarize yourself with the concepts. You are one of the lucky few who should be very comfortable with the math requirements and should be able to pick up new content fairly fast. Later, head over to nuclearphynance.com or check out the wilmott forums for ideas, algos, etc and start experimenting.

I will definately check that out, it sounds interesting. Forever grateful to you, user!

oh also, quantnet.com is a pretty good resource for beginners, if you are looking for books to read, etc.

good taste

this thread escalated fast into begging

MODS MODS MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODS

This was a trap.

Reported.

Not so smart now, are we Dr. Ihaveaphd? Enjoy your ban.

pls dont post pictures of me on the internet

Shhh they are posting under several layers of irony, you wouldn't understand.

this guy encourages BEGGING!

MOOOOOOODS MODS MODS!

I'm not begging, he asked for my wallet.

this girl would be a 10/10 without the ring
what a waste
posting this while taking a nasty shit btw
braaaaaaaap

Whetever, man. Can we turn this into the interesting thread we were having a few minutes ago?

...and you actually posted it instead of taking the joke.

BEGGAR BEGGAR BEGGAR!

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODS MODS MODS

A physics PhD is good. You can use that knowledge of friction to give hand jobs.

thanks mods, you are the best!

Btw who that grill?

You're asking what you can do for money. Either
a) Get a job cleaning toilets or flipping burgers.

b)Use your skills for some money on the side
e.g. teach physics at your university
tutor kids in physics and maths
program for money
translate shit if you know another language

Check filename.

holy shit my id changed
I'm

Mmmm sweetie SNIIIIIIIIF yes indeed
SNIFF quite pungent my dear SNIIIIIIIIF quite pungent indeed

>R
>real programming