Veeky Forums challenge - Round 7 (April 20th - April 26th)

7th round of the 5th Annual Veeky Forums Top Master Iron Chef Ultimate Nightmare Kitchen Survivor Challenge!

This is the first of the elimation rounds! If you are not part of the contestants still in the running, feel free to post along, however I will not be tallying the scores. But the more entries the better!
Here's the list of those who made the top 10!
Nack
Fantastic
dice
CookingRei
Yellowmug
Studentfag
asdf
Longship
Borneo
Eyepatch

Reminder :
-Please timestamp your submission! Detailing the cooking process/posting a vertical is encouraged but not required. If posting multiple photos, you don't need to timestamp each one, as long as the final submission photo is timestamped.
-You MUST use a unique identifier; if you don't want to use a tripcode, you must have some other way to distinguish yourself from the other contestants, such as a cute bird or scary statue in your timestamped entry, as long as it's clearly visible and you use it consistently.

Voting will be carried out in this thread. Please read the voting guidelines below.

Other urls found in this thread:

ckchallenge.blogspot.ca/)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

VOTING GUIDELINES

Voting follows an 'Iron Chef' style scoring system. This means you, the people of Veeky Forums, will judge each entry individually instead of deciding on what you feel is the "best" dish.

Dishes are scored out of a total 20 points, based on 4 categories (worth a maximum of 5 points each); Presentation, Originality, Appeal and Challenge Goals. You may award 0's if you feel the contestant did not meet your expectations for a category.

-Presentation: The appearance of items on the plate; plating skills
-Originality: Creativity in composing the dish
-Appeal: How appetizing the food looks/whether or not the dish appeals to your personal taste as a voter
-Challenge Goals: How closely the entry followed the challenge goal(s)

The distinction between Presentation and Appeal: If someone submits an artfully arranged but burnt steak as an entry, it may score high in Presentation but low in Appeal.

For additional info and to see submissions from Previous years, check out the Challenge blog. (ckchallenge.blogspot.ca/)

Copypasta Scoring Format for Lazymodo

Presentation: /5
Originality: /5
Appeal: /5
Challenge Goals: /5
Total: /20

Forgot my name.. go me.

The theme of Round Seven is...

No heat allowed!

Raw, frozen, fermented, cold smoked, cooked in acid... I don't care, but no no heat source allowed this round! Good luck!. While you're perfectly welcome to make a large spread of food, please make sure there is clearly a "main dish" because that is what people will be voting on.

Two contestants will not be moving on to the next round. This is also a prize round! Winner gets a surprise!

Scorecard.

Can we make desserts?

>No heat allowed
>tfw Bubble uses my round idea

How to cold smoke without a heat source though?

Sure, as lng as there is no heat used.

Yay! Glad it made it to you!

Guess what came in the mail today? My prize! A whole book on how to keep my man happy. Thanks a bunch BubbleBurst! I can't wait to try out some of these recipes.

Interesting theme...I'll have to think this one over....

(deleted post because i used the sideways picture and i figured it would offend someone...and it bothered me)

....the internet won't let me win...

noice

the contest is over already?

nah, that was a prize for the cookie round. still have a ways to go.

There's less then last year, but there's a few round prizes along the way :-)

there's round specific prizes?

Yes. Not always announced in advance. But there's one for the winner of this round, for example.

Forgot to add, this is why I was asking for people who wanted to sponsor prizes. I got less committed answers this year so fewer prizes. But still some prizes.

neato, I thought prizes were only for the top 3

i think the 'grand' prize normally goes to 1st place. someone this year is donating to the top 3 finalists.

does using sun power count as "heat"

considering its a fuck huge ball of fusion at more than 5000 degrees in space, yeah, I'd say it's heat.

lol

>inb4 half a dozen ceviches

Bubbles, can we get a definition of "heat" for this round, as in a temperature range?
Maybe nothing above 70°F (21°C) which is considered room temperature?

Actual numbers would be nice.

pretty sure that if you cook something, it's out.

Heat is released in the process of fermentation, ceviche is considered a form of cooking fish, and a heat source is required to create smoke for cold smoking.

She said all three of those are acceptable, so it probably just means that if hot stuff isn't directly applied to the food it should be okay.

Sun drying is the only one I find iffy, but if you live somewhere that you can sun dry something in less than a week right now you should already consider yourself a winner.

And what about pre-cooked foods you buy cold?

valid points, we'll need to wait for bubble's confirmation

She's laid out the rules. Pretty sure it's up to the autists voting to interpret them.

Pretty much this.

You're like to get hit in the scoring if you just pour a bag of chips into a bowl and call it a day.

Thinking more on the lines of pre-cooked frozen shrimp, or dehydrated noodles that were already cooked where all you need to do is reconstitute in cold water.

personally, I'd be okay with that

That becomes a judging point and up to the voters.

Lately ITT: people who can not rawfood.
We should probably get back to the McDonalds threads instead.

If you use any heating element, it's a 0/5 in challenge goals.

Don't be a dumb shit. People are just looking for clarification. Bubble, bless her heart, said to not cook with heat but didn't really provide many specifications as to where the boundaries of "heat" lay. It's like saying, "Go from point X to point Y, but don't do that thing that will fuck you up because it will certainly fuck you up. Also, remember not to do that other thing either, because that will fuck you up too", without saying what those things were.

Too bad I didn't enter this year. Everyone would be BTFO.

care to explain how?

>people who can not rawfood

Raw food is less complicated than cooked. You sound like a vegetarian who thinks you eat better because you don't eat meat while everyone else still eats all the same shit you do.

>Raw food is less complicated than cooked
Wrong.
I'm not even a vegan/vegetarian or whatever, but making a balanced, tasty meal out of raw food is incredibly difficult.

>balanced
>tasty

Too bad neither of those things really matter here. Most raw food looks like a little kid took out all the condiments in the fridge and decorated a plate with them.

No, I'm just totaly perplexed with the confusion the 'no heat' challange caused. But you won todays prize for reading way to much that isn't there into a simple post. Have a fucking cookie.

>boundaries of "heat"
It means you're not allowed to cook with heat. As in, using heat in any way, shape of form to alter the state of the ingredients. You may change their properties chemically, but not by heating it with heating tools, letting it heat in the sun, letting someone else heat it, accidentally heating it and then cooling it back down again, setting it on fire, putting it in the sauna or any other method of heating. You may not heat the food at any stage.
She even gave examples of the kind of cooking techniques she had in mind, you raging aspie.

Actually, Rei won today's prize...

Fuck you guys and your faggot contest. Talk about fast food

>tfw want to make a nice bean salad served at room temperature and get disqualified for storing it in the refrigerator and then letting it rest on the kitchen counter to come up to room temperature

>fedora gif

Not even going to read, sorry.

Dude if I wasn't a lazy cunt I would try and make that venison tartar like Marco Pierre White in that great British feast show. you guys should watch that by the way

just did, looks pretty neat

are you kidding me!?!?!

IT'S RAW!

Top 10, shit's getting real.

>if I wasn't a lazy cunt

That's really half of the challenge. You need to commit to coming up with something for the challenge every week, cook it before the deadline, and do it every week for multiple weeks on end.

For most people, doing that just to be judged by maybe a dozen Veeky Forums anons is a pretty big commitment.

Thanks for the update!

The other half is doing it for yourself. If it weren't for being in this contest, I would never have pushed myself outside of my comfort zone and experimented with new foods and cooking techniques.

Same as this. Learned a bunch of new techniques and terminology from just these last few weeks then I probably have in months.

+1 to this

For this round, I'm trying fermentation, something I most likely would have never done otherwise.

because the heat isn't applied to the ingredient?

Me too. I wonder how many of us will end up creating the same dish...

I'm thinking maybe one will do the same dish as me, but you never know. Different ingredients, different presentations. I'm only hoping if two of the same dishes get made that points are based on the individual submission instead of comparing one to the other.

Because I'm a badass in the kitchen. Used to be pro, now just cook for friends and family.
I actually support having this contest, but watching everyone sperg out just makes me wish I'd have entered so I could take the piss out of everyone. IT'S NOT THAT HARD. Come on, people, all this bitching and fighting over simple concepts? Please.....

>I'm a badass in the kitchen. Used to be pro

Nice blog. I'm sure you put everyone in their place.

You can still submit an entry for any of the remaining rounds and prove it.

I may just do that if I have time. You don't know what you're asking for, m8. Also, a few sentences don't make a blog, but nice deflection. Also, there's no putting anyone in their place here, everyone's an ass, including you and me, so feck off.

Everytime i see the thumbnail, they look like a bunch of nooses too me

I always think so too. So appropriate.

Scared you can't keep up with me baby? ;)

Feeling like yours will be compared to mine and get absolutely obliterated? ;)

All in good time baby..

Wish I had more time for this round. I woulda busted out my duck prosciutto recipe.

I had a few initial ideas before realizing there wasn't going to be enough time.

I'm looking forward to seeing the fermented dishes.

My plan is to make some fermented pickles and veg then blend them together into a paste and spread it over crackers with cracked black pepper and pink salt

i'm just trying to figure out how to create a proper icecream without freezing a hot-made custard

With milk...

My cabbage is going in the jar tonight, hopefully it'll be done by sunday.
Does anyone have experience with making kimchi?

bumparoo

Duck breast prosciutto is the bomb.
Last try ended poorly as they were tiny tits; cure went in way too far.
But here's a tip: use nylons when drying.
Cheaper than muslims/cheesecloth. And the breasts kind of fit nicely in the legs, as I'm sure your internet boyfriend tells you that you do.
I'm not voting, but I would consider an ambient temperature steep acceptable. Been pretty warm where I am.
>venison
>tartar
Nope. Just no.
Carpaccio? Sure.
"Whatever I have on hand that may sound exotic" tartar, No. Gross.

>Nope. Just no.
>Carpaccio? Sure.
>"Whatever I have on hand that may sound exotic" tartar, No. Gross.

well that's completely arbitrary

Okay, you may have access to veal tenderloin.
Still, it sounds meh.

Fermentation produces heat, 0/5 challenge goals

i just don't understand what your fundamental problem is with non-beef tartares and why carpaccio is somehow better

>baiting this hard

How are nylons cheaper than muslin and cheesecloth? I've never seen that to be the case. Where do you get your nylons?

He's probably imagining her curing a duck breast in a heavily used pair of nylons for the extra flavor, or maybe using a new pair and then walking around with legs that smell like cured duck.

You could do one of two things, first you could you a smoker that is not used to cook it. For example, those spray smokers seen on television. They make blowers as well, that route the smoke but don't cook it. Or maybe liquid smoke?

>For example, those spray smokers seen on television. They make blowers as well, that route the smoke but don't cook it.

Those contain a heat source used to generate the smoke. Either you light the wood chips with a lighter/torch/etc like smoking a pipe, or the device contains a built-in heating element (electric).

>>liquid smoke
That would work.

I'm making kimchi too, user, never done it before either. I'm using it as part of a dish rather than the main focus. I knew someone'd make the same dish as me!

Good luck with yours!

Any tips on keeping the vegetables submerged? The daikon keeps trying to get out in mine.

Use a jar and fill the jar completely.

Sadly I don't have a jar the right size...

Not the person you're responding to, but the few times I've made sauerkraut I used a plate with some weight on top of it to keep everything submerged.

Anyone confused by the round theme?

Technically cold is just the absence of heat right? So technically everything uses heat. Now, I know obviously there's no way to literally say NO HEAT, because that's physically not possible, but the question is how much heat are we allowed to actually use?

The challenge goal has already been sufficiently clarified above.

Why don't you say what you're thinking of doing if you're still not sure whether or not it will count?

He's not wrong.

just don't use heat to warm up/cook the food in the process

holy fucking shit people it's not that hard to understand

>How are nylons cheaper than muslin and cheesecloth?
I've been using one single "sock" for about 3 years. Cost less than a dollar.

But are they food grade?

Those are usually made out of some kind of fruit rubber. No good for curing meat.

Reminder that having a food cookoff without being able to taste the food is stupid

Recipes get posted. Cook them yourself if you're curious and stop being a little bitch.

Because that's totally how it tastes when the original person made it

You obviously don't know how to cook OR taste, so I'll forgive you this time. Just don't let it happen again. Now off with you.

Teaser time!
Gonna let this go for one more day.