Credit cards general

I know you can't give me a specific suggestions, but let's talk about credit cards. American ones, in my case.
What do you think about credit cards? Which ones, if any do you use and why?

My mother was always overprotective when it came to shit like credit cards. Same shit with investments.
I was always misled to believe there was no point to getting a credit card and that they were basically scams that you got wrapped up in. Now that I'm older, I know that shit isn't true and today I finally got off my ass to look into cards. I figured while I'm researching this, I might as well make this thread.

Really, just anything debit or credit card related.

Other urls found in this thread:

creditsesame.com/blog/credit/improve-your-credit-score/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Can someone tell me why my credit is dropping when I pay my balance every month. It was trending up for a couple years and now it's been dropping the last 10 months and I haven't done anything different.

>I was always misled to believe there was no point to getting a credit card and that they were basically scams that you.....
They are scams but you Americans are too invested into them to see

Credit cards are the fucking best, and it's great because they're designed to feed off of poor fucking morons who suck with money. If you just fucking pay off the card you get free money and benefits. I get an average of 3% cash back with my credit card, it's a fucking discount on life.

Can you substantiate this? It might at least be amusing to listen to someone disagree with investopedia cuz that always ends well.

literally kike tricks. they make everything more expensive and effectively punish those who don't buy in.

It is excellent for buying dips in crypto. Free money + rewards.

Why have a credit card if you have money? Makes zero sense.

(No debit card and credit card is not the same thing).

It's kind of funny though how burgers think that there's social status in having a credit card. In Sweden it means you're poor and need to borrow money to spend.

Yup, thx poor people for subsidizing me. Appreciate the discount on all purchases.

Yeah pretty much this. I take out 3-4 new credit cards a year to get those sweet sweet sign up bonuses.

Because I get 2-3% off all purchases with my credit card along with all sorts of benefits such as free bags on flights and extended warranty plus the ability to charge back if I have an issue and pay nothing for any of it?

Stupid Swiss don’t get credit rewards.

>(No debit card and credit card is not the same thing).
Why would you assume I thought this retarded shit

*swedish

Whatever, you’re all getting your wife’s fucked by Aladdin anyway.

So basically, its bullshit, but if you want to live in capitalist America it doesn't make sense to not have one.

Huh...

In America owning a credit card is a must so you can get a "credit score" and you can get
other benefits like some user said (not American so don't understand how that works )
in other parts of the world owning one is a sign you'r a poorfag and you'l end up being a wage cuck for the rest of your life

It's social status in the US. They always ask "cash or credit", in Sweden we just say "kontanter eller kort" (cash or card) because you don't want to stand in line and tell everybody you use credit to pay for your fucking coffee or whatever.

These cultural differences are interesting.

Carrying cash is the hallmark of boomers and niggers in the U.S. I don't remember the last time I saw someone pay with peasant paper.

jew trick to make you buy more shit

OK, I don't know what you're talking about at all.
No one judges you based on whether you have or do not have a credit card save the few bureaucratic that care about credit score.

Also, even if they do say "cash or credit?" (which they don't always do; they usually either just tell you the price and you choose between them, or say "cash or card?"), if you've been paying for stuff for longer than like a week in your entire life on a debit card, you know that you can use it just the same.
It means absolutely nothing.

*bureaucratic elements

Holy fuck this actually even more difficult than I expected. Fuck my ass. I thought just one would do, but apparently that don't work. Then all this other shit.
I hope I don't end up learning I'm bad with credit cards.

American Express Platinum is the only credit card worth having. Unless you are poor, in which case you should get a 0% interest card and use it as needed while building your life toward not being poor.

it makes absolute sense not to have one because the entire credit system is a scam. not saying i won't use a mortgage to buy a home, but if people stopped believing credit was the only way to make large purchases, prices would drop on everything. using credit makes things worse for future generations.

good luck getting a mortgage without a credit score

>If people stopped believing credit was the only way to make large purchases...
>Already does not believe credit is the only way to make large purchases
>Can educate people about this
>Credit cards have other perks if you use them responsibly
Okay then.

I mean, if they are profiting off of irresponsible use, all you have to do is use it responsibly and you are practically a thorn in their side.
Once the credit cards become less profitable because of responsible use, those companies would die.
I don't see the problem.

>not having a credit card means you don't have a credit score
>cash back is proof credit isn't the devil
wew

Assuming it is the case that's how they make their money. Which is complicated and I'm still not sure yet cuz I'm reading all this shit right now that I was never even aware of.

you fucking moron, they profit by the expansion of the credit system.

>you fucking moron
That's a good way to get me to listen to you
>expansion of the credit system
Explain then cuz everyone I know right now is basically saying if I use it responsibly, its fine.

Honestly though, I don't give a shit about any of that any way. Capitalism, whether you think its good or not, is a race to the top as the bottom keeps falling and will inevitably continue to fall regardless of all of this.
If a credit card helps me save money or whatever at the expense of others, then so be it. Me getting a credit card is inconsequential.

They are evil.
They benefit at your expense.
If you can't pay one in full every month, don't have one.

Well, I can though. That's why I'm even considering; I've found that I can handle money fine, just as my parents do.

this, credit score is a jewish trick

What are the interest rates on credit cards in America? For first time card holders at least?

25 to 30%
literally designed to make money off of unintelligent people

check your credit report, you may have something you're unaware of. high utilization can hurt your credit as well.

everything you buy already has cc merchant fees priced in, even if you're paying cash. so if you aren't using a credit card for rewards and paying it off every month you're essentially cucking yourself.

Buy mco it’s mooning this non g

Cool so its the same as Australia. Fuck this gay earth

OP, I just got my first credit card too after 23 years of living, decided with the Discover it (1-2% cash back and zero annual fee)
What is the absolute best card to have, given you have a great credit score? Is there a card with an annual fee thats worth it?
Also, I always pay off my card early, should I do that or just wait to pay it in full every month?

>not paying off your credit cards in full every month
What difference does it make if I pay with cash or credit card, except that I earn cashbacks and airline miles with one option, and carry the risk of getting pickpocketed/robbed/niggered with the other?

20% APR! Fuck yeah!

Seriously, fuck credit cards.

APR doesn't mean anything as long as you pay off every month. I don't look at APR when I sign up for cards.
I have around 9 credit cards. just fucking pay it off every month and you are good.

t. 460 FICO

You probably have little to no credit so you can't get most cards because you won't be approved. The Discover IT is a good card to get started, but you will probably on get approved for like a $1500 limit. It has 1% cash back and 5% cash back on rotating categories.

There is absolutely no reason not to take advantage of every single card that offers 0% interest for the first year and also has cash rewards for buying so much shit within the first couple months of signing on. It's literally free money + rewards and you'd have to be a mouth-breather to knowingly keep using a debit card or, god forbid, pay with cash.

this. i have 3 credit cards and 800-810 credit score

also choose ones that maximize points for your lifestyle. you can save like 3% on all purchases or fly places with your points.

>get credit card that gives back money on purchases
>don't pay interest by paying the full bill every month

Why is this a bad thing? (For me, not the people who think a credit card is free money)

Raising credit means using credit. Credit companies make money off the vig, so when you pay off your accounts, they don't like that, and the system is weighted towards rewarding carrying a balance.
The best way to raise your credit, or keep it where it is, is to carry a balance. If you have a $500 card (just as an example), push $100 or so of your monthlies over to it, and pay it off, and spend a little more and carry $50 over to the next month.
Beyond that, open up new credit accounts, like buying a car on credit, or some sort of loan. A car loan would push you up a hundred points, easily.

it's not. and also paying it off each month increases your credit score (as does having multiple cards/more credit available to you) - call and ask for a credit increase

good credit score = easier approval for loans and other lines of credit in the future

You're an idiot.

Conversely, using too much credit lowers your score too. I would take a slightly lower score paying it off than paying the fees on carrying a balance

hm.. this says paying it off definitely increases it.

creditsesame.com/blog/credit/improve-your-credit-score/

The trick is to have several, high-value lines of credit available, and not utilize it. It sounds retarded but it's good for your credit score to be able to make, say, $100,000 in purchases but in reality you're just using them to make everyday purchases and paying off the balance at the end of the month, or structuring repayments on a new card so that you're making interest-free purchases as long as you pay it off within a year.

Yeah I have 3 cards with ~$76k credit between them and my score hovers around 800

Look up with churning credit cards is for free money
Usually you're not supposed to tell people about it but I think biz is worthy.

credit card-let here, why open multiple credit cards? For the benefits of each one?

Benefits, sign up bonuses, and having more credit gives you a better credit score

Just dont apply for too many within a short amount of time - that will tank your score

not him, but I can probably answer this one
there are certain cards that give more on what you spend
So like for example (not true values just an example)

Discover It gives 3% on grocerys, I use this card for grocerys
Chase sapphire gives 5% on restruants, I use this for food
American express gives 3% on flights, I use this one to travel
etc etc

It's called churning. Look it up.

Exactly this. All of mine pool into Chase Ultimate Rewards points.

Sapphire Reserve - 3 points on travel & restaurants + tons of other benefits
Freedom Unlimited - 1.5 points per dollar on everything
Freedom - rotating quarterly 5 point categories

I just opened my discover IT and im sad I didnt go with Chase, at the end of the year, Ill probably switch of to freedom.

> be me
> be lazy
> thread reminds me of cc
> log into cc
> $1.1k owed

But I don't wanna cash out crypto to pay off cc balance.

MOMMMY THE JEWS ARE UP TO THEIR TRICKS AGAIN

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Just use both

There is literally 0 downside to using a credit card properly. I use credit for everything, the bill comes at the start of the next month, pay it in full immediately. Perfect credit and I never spend more than what I actually have...

The only way you can fuck up having a credit card, is if you are spending more than you have. In which case why are you even alive. Want a car? Have 30K limit but only 10K in the bank? Then save for a year until you have 30K then buy it.

the absolute state of coinlets

> buying a car outright

Nothing like going into a dealershit, handing over a suitcase of cash and being reported to the IRS.

> be me
> have 30k
> put 2k down on $20k car
> have $28k left over
> refinance to lower interest r8 on car - 3% (;
> use $20k to secure mortgage
> buy shitty house and rent said shitty house out
> use shitty house rent from shitty tenets to pay mortgage
> have shitty rent money from shitty tenets to pay some of the car payment
> have a $100k year a jobby joob so fcking #yolo fuck your gib shit

THAT'S WHAT SMART MONEY DOES YOU REDNECK HOO-BO-SLOOT.

trust me, take that $1k out of your free crypto gains and pay off your debt before you lose it. It'll be worth it.

*groans*
*screeches*

FINE

I'll do it tomorrow after my kike cycles at the gym.

thoughts on secured credit cards for newfags?

Use both. A lot of the time the rotating 5% cashback categories overlap but if they don't then you get a large array of things to get crazy cashback on. Always be careful applying to Chase though. They're probably the stringiest card issuer out there, so do a little research before you let them do a hard pull on your credit. They have a pre-approval portal you can look at that tells you if you'll automatically be approved or not without pulling your credit. Discover by comparison is really easy to get a card from

it's like cheat codes desu

Great for people with no credit or terrible credit. If you're a student then there's some student cards that are good though and aren't hard to be approved for. Most notable I think is the Discover IT student, which can be promoted to a regular Discover IT later and is an all-around pretty good card

OH YAY. FREE MONEY FOR NOTHING.

You fucking faggots amaze me sometimes. You want something? Get a job and pay for it. Simple.

Capital One and Discover are very good, because every 6 months, you can increase your credit limit and not get a hard pull on your credit.

I believe American Express, will also not do a hard pull on credit limit increase, but I don't have any of their cards.

>Getting hundreds of dollars and free airplane flights to literally do nothing except buy what I normally buy
Wow you sure told me grandpa