AT

Any of you autists hike the Appalachian Trail or PCT/CDT? Been sick of wagecucking and paying for an expensive downtown apartment, thinking about quitting, selling all my shit into some high midterm growth potential coins and going on a long hike for 6 months. Seems great to me: forces you to hold while isolating you from the stress of seeing price fluctuations, and you get to go on an adventure and meet some interesting people, real life altering experiences. already own the equipment since I used to be a more active hiker, only need to spend a grand/month max on the trail for supplies. Only worry is if everything crashes and I have to go back to wagecucking with no savings + a 6 month resume gap

I would like do hike it too but a few things:

1. Resume gap easy to explain. Hiked the AT. Most people will love it. I would.
2. I hear there are a lot of weirdos that hang on the trail and do drugs due them being losers that are out of place anywhere other than the AT where everyone is dirty and living pretty primal.
3. If you can do it, do it now.

6 months seems extreme. I tap out at 1

This guy knows whats up.

Also, please bring bear spray and be fucking careful. Learn everything you can about avoiding bears. Those fuckers are dangerous.

Fuck I hate bears so much.

Who cares about the resume gap. If this trip actually does you any good spiritually then you should come away realizing two relevant things: 1) you're more than just your job. 2) Consumer culture (aka what keeps you running on that hamster wheel) is a scam.

I would split your holdings 50-50 in ETH/VEN personally

Been thinking the same (not the appalachian trail) but I've decided to keep my head in crypto for now, I can travel later but who knows when the gravy train stops?

Awesome thanks for the tips! Wasn't sure if I'd find any AT alums here. Point 2 has kinda been a worry of mine, been hearing about how a lot of the towns have been getting kinda fed up with the attitudes of some of the thru hikers in recent years, hope they're a vocal minority.

March/April is a common departure time for NoBo right?

I thru hiked the AT in 2014, it will be the most memorable and important trip you take in your life, if you want it to be.
You have no idea what you are getting yourself into, and that's good. I'm not going to spoil it for you, figure it out for yourself. It's much more fun to do it that way.
when you start the trip, don't mind doing 8 mile days, just keep going.
It's going to be very difficult to find the willpower to keep going, just keep going.

Wish I had done it. Was too eager to start a career and family. Didn't really realize at the time my next chance will be when I retire or decide to abandon everything

i was thinking of doing the same thing...perhaps i'll see you on trail

Your 2 points are definitely what I've been trying to wrestle with lately. only been out of college and working a "real job" since this summer, but I feel like I need to have a long period of time to try something new and push my comfort zone to really discover what I want to do with my life. don't think the homemaker nuclear family life is for me, but neither is being a neet basement dweller.

Hope so! Never would have thought I'd want to meet other Veeky Forums users on this kind of an adventure, but you guys are alright

A lot of people I know who thru hiked it have echoed a similar sentiment, letting go of your expectations and living in the moment to truly appreciate the trip. Seems like a good philosophy, thanks for the tip

something the girlfriend has been dreaming about for years
would love to give her the opportunity

I've hiked bits of it here and there, the stretch by the Fontana dam was pretty nice, although halfway through it rained a metric fuck ton and ended up slogging through ankle deep water for a couple days. Also be prepared for bears. String up your bags for sure. Saw several right off the main trail.

im hiking a section of it in oregon in a few months
if i like it i'll do the whole thing in a few years

>Oregon

Where exactly do you think the APPALACHIAN trail is????

PCT - California Desert section in this photo - epic pees, adopt large boulders, overlooking magnificent vistas

Haven't been that far down the PCT but did this section around Mt Rainier last summer that was amazing. Highly recommend it

The PCT looks gorgeous, you definitely get more varied geography.

I did the southernmost section (amicalola to roan mountain) last year after high school and it was one of the most fun experiences of my life. I got away from everything before I started uni, I thought out a whole business plan for when I got back, and now I am comfortably pulling 5k monthly(which is fucking crazy for a college student) with that plan that I fleshed out sleeping under the stars in the wilderness.

>buy EOS
>hodl for the 6 months you'll b hiking
>come back a meloniare

I thru hiked it.. prepare for the hardest shit you've ever done, but also the most badass. and you should get a hammock so much better than a tent when it rains.

Honestly it was life changing homie. if youre into nature its something you should try. Tips: Pack 20% less than you think you need in weight, it makes a huge difference especially through fucking boring ass virginia, also set realistic goals. i got through Penn and called it quits but wouldnt give it up. I want to finish it when i get some time

Class of '18 reporting in, going to be starting my NOBO Thru Hike on the 28th of this month. If you can do it, do it man. I quit my job in October of 2016 to travel around the world. Been back state side for the past few months trading crypto to finance my AT hike.

Trust me man, these types of experiences are worth more than any amount of gains. Just put your money into some long term positions and forget about it.

Hit that trail.