Can you code if you hate math?

BSc in Finance so I can get along with it at some level. I just hate the idea of doing plain math for living.

1. Celebrity
2. Doctor
3. Lawyer
4. Businessman

If you don't succeed in any of these fields, you will most certainly have to be good at math to make good money. If you don't do any of the above and also fail to become skilled with math, you'll just flip burgers or do data entry.

Well, considering a large majority of coding involves some form of math I’m gonna day probably not

Not really - it's more logic and copy and pasting than maths

You might get away with coding basic stuff like websites and CRMs but even designers are doing that these days. Don’t expect to get payed much.

The top coding jobs these days do require a lot of math: Fintech, machine learning, AI, game development.

programming these days is just googling stuff on cuck overflow. back in my day programming used to mean something.

I hate math and im in data science, i find it more logical than hardcore maths

You'll suck. It's like hating/sucking at Biology and then wanting to become a doctor. Or hating reading and then becoming a lawyer. You might make it, but you'll struggle so much.

t. webdev

yes don't listen to retards saying otherwise.

well fuck I wanted to become a programmer but im shit at maths

It's way too late to get into programming.

Once AI is capable of creating its own shit, it's fucking game over.

yea
t. CS grad

Well no, but it still does have the same theme of logic as math behind it, so why would you enjoy programming if you hate math?

Also how can you have BSc in Finance if you can't into math and programming?

Absolutely, you'll make shit inefficient and stupid but if it gives the right solution it's not critical for a lot of things.

yeah right
it's too late to do pretty much anything then...

you need math for the degree not the job

Plenty of "web programming gurus" on YouTube say they don't use math at all, other than the basic operands, and earn a decent stack. So yes, I guess it's feasible. Just stay away from gamedev, it's pretty math-abundant.

BS.CS here, you just think you don't like math, CS math is a lot more fun. You don't have to worry about calculus or anything like that, just algorithmic discrete math types, sets, bit shifting, understanding efficiencies, etc. I hated math too, now it's pretty easy but you don't do too much of it IRL as a programmer unless you're in AI/Machine Learning/High speed computational stuff.

You have no clue what the fuck you're talking about you dribbling retard.

You need math to earn money.

It's mainly just logic and breaking down tasks into smaller ones. You don't need to be extremely good at maths to do that.

>no calculus for CS math
You went to shit school then

the abstraction of anything is: math.

people who aren't good at any fields will teach you abstractions of useless things, and call it math. that's the most frequent cause why someone hates math.

if you make actual programs you need math that's actually useful. no person who cannot write actually useful, complex programs will be able to teach you that kind of math.

so it's very likely a whole different math than the kind you hate.

yes, designing complex programming is an awful lot about making abstractions, therefore it is math.
but give it an actual try and see whether you actually hate it, you cannot make judgement based on some college courses.

No, I went to a school where calc was a requirement, but I have literally never used it. If a school has such a requirement it just means they don't know what they are doing and are happy to waste your time with irrelevant shit.

No, the most elegant solution is always a for loop

I'm awful at math but I'm a naturally talented programmer. I don't care about autistically memorizing a million math rules but it's easy for me to split problems into small logical chunks that I can turn into code.

*Yes

i hated math in school, but i always loved it in programming because it gave it real world meaning and was tangable. I failed Algebra btw. But I like logic, the linear flow and design apect in relation to it, refining and perfecting code. Yeah, I actually like debugging....If u are really stubborn and persistent, you'll enjoy coding because you are debugging 90% of the time.

learning the syntax is like learning a language. however you will need math to solve problems. i think webdesign could fit you.

Schools teach you to learn. What you larn is irrelevant.

>BSc in finance

try learning category theory. its pretty fucked but if you can pick it up, it really makes you a better programmer

This, Math lessons make you add letters and unknown values to each other for no good reason whereas in Programming/finance etc. everything has a value and makes a lot more sense.

Programmers will be the last people to get replaced by AI, once that happens humanity is fucked anyways.

>Also how can you have BSc in Finance if you can't into math and programming?

All you need for Finance is basically at calculus level. It wasn't that bad.

Also a web design job is the comfiest shit ever. I study CS and work at the same time for web design. It just doesen't feel like work and requires basic math skills at max.

Programming is a broad term.
Depending on what systems you're programming for, what languages you're, the level of maths required will vary, high-level languages generally require less maths in terms of programming in that language. If you're doing UI animations you'll require a little math, but it's all basic calculations and you can do things by trial and error, it just takes longer.

Programming in general is more logic based, so if you enjoy thinking through problems, implementing solutions and generally a bit of trial and error, you'll probably be fine.

A lot of programming is doing things you've done a thousand times, and sometimes getting to implement new things and learning new technologies.

It sounds like you might enjoy back-end development and developing API's or mobile development. Both of which are easy to get started in due to the amount of free learning resources and size of the development communities, also the quality of development tools available. It's also a good market to be in in terms of demand and also salary (Depending on where you live).

The biggest benefit to both of these types of development, is you don't necessarily need to have formal education in CS or extensive professional experience, you really will mostly be judged on understanding of system architecture, and general problem solving (logic) ability by perspective employees.

t. Mobile developer for 6 years at startups and big N companies.

As others have said, webdev requires very little math. Therefore, there's quite a lot of idiots doing web because of that and you'll have to compete with them OP. It's not that bad though, if you live in the US you just need to know monkey tools like Wordpress in order to make good money.

They say math helps you become a better programmer, but it's the other way around IMO. I was shit at math until I learned basic programming. When math stopped being abstract and had tangible application it was way easier to grasp.

>Well, considering a large majority of coding involves some form of math I’m gonna day probably not
This is false, the vast majority of programming has NOTHING to do with math at a high level

t. software engineer

You absolutely do not need strong math to be a programmer. Highschool level is enough.
You can also be a games programmer, tho not in a math heavy area like graphics or physics engine programming.

Also the math used is very specific and you can probably learn just that necessary. Vector and matrix math. Quaternions. Line equations and trigonometry.

depends on your role. if you are in a quant or data science role then math is your whole job or part of your job. if you're a normal developer then someone else does the math if it's required and you just put it into code.

this user is a huge retard and quite obviously hasn't even finished college yet

Can confirm.
t. software engineer

This is half true, during my heads-down coding days I lived on that website.

So you're saying that if I stopped with my math progress at calculus, I might give it a shot?

I always imagined software engineers as those wizards sitting in the basement drinking mountain dew and coding.

You're only going to need real math if you work on some type of quantitative-focused application.

Most software development these days is built around the user experience, most of the "engine" coding is either
A) already finished by the time you come on board
B) being worked on by guys with 10+ years of experience, or dudes who have a masters/PhD in the exact type of work that's getting done

Software jobs that require real math are few and far between.

any tip what should I start with?

That's if you just want to build shitty websites for the rest of your career.

Not these days.
All you have to know is how to google, where the best resources are and how to apply solutions.
The cycle of development these days is much as - I want to do this -> google how I can achieve the task -> learn and apply -> repeat.

I can guarantee you'll be fine in most forms of programming if you just have solid problem solving abilities.

One of the best things about programming is you can choose your level and be abstracted by most of the complexities. For example, you can work on teams developing self-driving car systems at google. You won't be developing the actual tech that allows self-driving cars, but they'll also need a front end solution that takes in all data and displays it or feeds it into another system.

int a = 1;
int b = 2;
int c = a+b;

If you can figure out what the value of c is without writing it all out then you should be good.

The logic that is learned from studying math is what is important in most software development.

Unless you are writing financial or statistical software then you'll be ok. Don't be intimidated!

Coding is math, all fucking day

Are you visually inclined at all?
Do you care about UI or find it interesting?

Is it important that what you build has and end result you can see in terms usage?

Post a good CS program that doesn't require Calc and I'll show you 10 good ones that do.

I'm a photographer part-time, I do shitload of photo and video post-production, so I guess I am visually inclined, if that's what you meant. Don't know much about interfaces and user experience except for some minor courses I took at the uni. But it might be interesting.

Does it put me in the front-end dev direction?

Dev here. This is VERY true.

You need at least some math for more advanced topics like ML, just so you know what the fucks going on. But it's all libraries - you don't need to do it by hand. A good C level understanding is fine.

This 100%.
Jesus christ... in the vast, vast majority of application you won't need math beyond algebra. Calculus II is just your run of the mill weed out course. You don't have to be great at advanced maths, but you do have to be smart.

Oh so we're judging programs by reputation signalling now rather than their objective quality?

Might as well favor schools with hefty traditional liberal arts requirements then if you don't care about how much they are actually going to teach you practical skills.

>be Earth Science major at one of the hardest STEM schools in the country
>literally spent 3 fucking days deriving a formula for the surface termpature of the earth from differentials in the heat flux of the atmosphere
>Had to write an 8 page paper proving my math with logical conclusions about radiative forcings in the climate system
>this is a junior level class

>t. retard

>not really
>it's more logic
user...

>You don't have to be great at advanced maths, but you do have to be smart
you don't even necessarily need to be smart, just not so dumb with your functions that you make a lot of redundacies in your coding. That just comes automatically over time I've found. I'm not a code guru, I mainly write server side scripts these days for web, nothing overly complex, but inefficiency can really screw things up depending on the number of calls and what you're trying to process. But once you get the hang of it and develop a feel, you can easily avoid the pitfalls that plague early on. Like anything, just do it a lot and you'll get better.

I despise math and I'm about to graduate from CS.

It's definitely possible if you're not planning to work on research/education or very low level stuff.

Itd be more accurate to say algebra. Most programming only requires variable solving ime.

You spend 3 days computing the solution to A = B, good job.

I'd say you would probably enjoy it more, as you get to create things that you personally find rewarding. Also, a lot of developers are visually inept, so it's huge benefit if you are able to know when things look wrong or can build client facing applications without having your hand held by a designer. UI/UX designers will also enjoy working with you, which is important if you're working on front-end development.

Honestly, I would recommend you try a bit of mobile development. It's easy to get in to and you can build your first actual application working on a device almost immediately, UI is actually enjoyable to build on Mobile as well and you'll have direct access to things like GPS, accelerometer, NFC and cameras, which really does allow you build odd ideas you might have that aren't possible on other platforms.

Start with one of the thousand tutorials out there on how to build a basic hello world program and once you're done that, I'm sure you could think of a simple app that you might personally have a use for. Just start building that, and when you run in to something you don't know, google it. and repeat.

You'll be surprised how quickly you can make progress and actually build a working product. Terribly engineered at first, but working nevertheless.

Thanks user, I will start looking around.

No problem mate.
Remember not to be intimidated, it really is nowhere as hard as it sounds like you think it is. Just keep learning, and when you don't know something, google it, early on every question you have will be in the top 5 search results.