Selling sculptures

Dear biz, this thread is an opportunity to escape the pink wojaks/pajeets for 5 min.
I like sculpting, I made pic related a while ago with low quality clay. It's not the prettiest, but I'm wondering if I can sell sculptures, knowing that I have better tools now.
Note that the goal is not to make "a quick buck" (not possible except if you're Rodin), I want to gather experience of building a modest business : I'm in 3rd of uni, my future job will consist of making people buy my shit.

I plan on selling resin copies people can paint over, or selling copies with a metallic/other coating : painting it myself would not be a good ROI
What would you do to make such a business somewhat successful ? Selling a single copy every month would be successful to me

Bumping just because this looks interesting

I can't give you advice as I don't really know the industry but it seems like a fantastic idea. I would suggest making models of prominent people. A Trump bust or a JP bust would get the alt right crypto kiddies excited.

>create an Etsy account
>make 10 sculptures that might never sell, 5 generic figures and maybe 5 historic
>pay for premium promotion on etsy
>pay for $1/day Adwords campaign
>pay for instagram ads for a month
if you don't make it after the first month, then don't bother. also make me a LINK cube the size of your pic for under $50 (with shipping) and I'll buy it

selling copies of the same sculpture will never work. every chink could easily copy those by the millions for a few cents.
you should focus on doing sculptures from pictures of people for example. could be creepy though.

Make a good Donald trump one and I’ll buy it!

Looks cool.
I think there are a few options with this. Decorative models or actual art.

If you can develop your own style you should try to go for the art route. Get in touch with galleries and get them to sell your sculptures.

I don't have much experience with models, and don't think Etsy would be lucrative in the long run.

Sculpt BRAAAPS.

>I don't have much experience with models, and don't think Etsy would be lucrative in the long run.
this was made obvious by the fact that you believe galleries would want amateur clay sculptures and an amateur crafts marketplace would not

isn't patreon the thing you are looking for? there are plenty of places were artists can get paid lets just hope you can sculpt gay furry avatars well

Thanks for the answers. I think 3D printing would be more appropriate for a LINK cube though. Will look at the Etsy thing

That's what I thought, but the chink designs are mostly shit (unoriginal). And I can sell a few before they copy me. I tried drawing from pictures of people (for free) and it was the most boring shit

Also, there are different kind of art galleries. Ones that sell high art, and ones that sell decorative art. That's something to look into. The high art, actual art academy shit is much harder to get into. But if you make it, you will actually make it.

More decorative art is better. Think sculptures that boomer's wives will buy. Still expensive but not that crazy. Look into what those people like. And how you can do something unique in that space.

I would un ironically pay upwards of $60 for a link plushie. Maybe 1 foot by 1 foot.

Any sewing fags get on this.

>it was the most boring shit

are you generally into art/design?
maybe you could go to a renowned artschool. when you send in a few of your best sculptures they would accept you as a student.
you could then work for big companies as a designer.

or keep on doing crazy stuff like this and charge increasing amounts of money for it.
but not too fast and remember mouth to mouth propaganda is the best way to go there.

Can you sculpt a pink wojack?

you can make your own pink wojak for less than $10

There are different kinds of galleries my man.

I guess he could start making anime statues and sell them on etsy. But if he looks into different kinds of galleries and what kind of sculptures sell well it's quite easy to go from amateur to 'pro'.

Depends on OP's talent if he actually wants to develop his skill and reach out to different galleries.

>t. sold street art through galleries from when I was 16 around (10 years ago) until I was bored with it and went to art school.

Fuck off Plushtard you're not gonna fool us again.

I'm already in an art related school
>you could then work for big companies as a designer
This is something I'd like to do, for example doing character design for movies. But it's not really my future I guess, in 3 years I will be an architect (which is also someting I'd love to do of course)
The sculpting "business" is a short/mid-term thing

You seem talented OP, as others have said, etsy is a good start, and also a platform where you can build your folio. Maybe mention that you're doing commission work as well, i think that could be something ppl would pay a decent buck for, tho i don't really know the market. I'm 99% sure that you could make a killing by advertising your shit on deviantart and doing stuff for the furry community, if you need the cash. Those ppl pay amazing amounts for you to realize their, uh, fantasies.

thank you, I stopped advertising on DA a long time ago, maybe I should go back to DA because the community is active. And yes, IF I'm in a shitty situation I'll make furry/pink wojaks/trump sculptures. People will buy anything sometimes

how much for 1:1 sculpture of my waifu?

Very interesting, you sold street art by walking in galleries ? In any case, I can't sell through galleries if I only make art of existing material (fan arts). I'd have to develop my own vision

Well, it was a bit different. I started posting pictures of my street art on different fora. I did stuff similar to Banksy.
Stuff on the street at first, but then I noticed that there was quite a market for stencils on canvas because of the big Banksy hype. So I started producing those, and selling them on the forum. Then I was approached by 2 different galleries through that forum and started selling through them.

The thing is, galleries are always looking for new talent with work they can sell. So if you just mail them with your work or visit them you might be in luck.

You can work on your own vision, or just check out what kind of stuff sells and do something along the lines of that. But then you'll probably produce decorative art (nothing wrong with that, people buy that shit).

start your own website
tell people to send their facial pictures
make their sculptures and sell them

holy shit you will be a millionaire man

you've clearly got some talent OP. go ahead to try and monetise it, even if its just a hobby