What's the point of buying gold over silver?

What's the point of buying gold over silver?

Other urls found in this thread:

tibtech.com/conductivity.php
blog.dell.com/en-us/how-much-gold-is-in-smartphones-and-computers/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

More history as money,

Would moon first in a currency collapse.

Its also much more portable

It's a nicer colour.

dunno, i hold $GLTR which is a basket of gold, silver, platinum and palladium

History schmistory. I don't believe in that stuff too much, we probably won't see a gold standard again and I have a stake in cryptos in case we get a new currency. Silver stores its value nicer tho, less speculation more usage. Sure it's clunky but at least better than copper, kek

desu I used to like silver more as a kid but then I was conditioned into liking gold. But they both look nice, that's not our point here, right?

gold is more stable

Gold is less risky. During the great depression gold went up 70℅ while silver went down. If we have serious inflation silver will go up more than gold.

Explain!

But Au is much closer to its recorded ATH now than Ag

>Falling for the Au and Ag jew.

>Not investing in based Cu bullion.

Get on my level son.

Do you have a second house for storing it or what? How's the supply btw

Gold may be more stable but silver is artificially supressed.. moon mission imminent and it probably won't get much cheaper.

one ounce of gold equals a decent suit always has always will

If you want a real SHTF-worthy resource to invest in buy SPAM you retards.

Silver oxidizes, gold has more industrial uses.

>Silver stores its value nicer
Not in the physical sense. Gold is the only element that doesn't degrade, silver oxidises which is reversible but still degradation.

I'm not exactly expecting that and if it gets that bad I might just off myself because what's the point of living if every day is mix of struggle and misery. And if I survive metals will have kept their value when things cool off.

Please, please. I don't give many fucks about some slight tarnish. It's the metal I'm interested in, almost 100% utilitarian I'd say. If you keep silver in a closed container it's gonna hold up just fine for 100 years.

Even if you leave silver in the atmosphere it won't oxidize beyond the micro-thin patina.
>OH NO MY SILVER BAR LOST 5 MICROGRAMS OF MASS. MY LIFE SAVINGS ARE GONE

At least mother nature is kinder on my savings than the government with its wacky inflation schemes

Lel. I bought silver this month for the first time in almost a decade. I think it's about to go on another bull run in the next year or two based on some preliminary TA. Currently not interested in gold at all.

These are things that shape price. You asked why gold over silver and one answer is gold was always in higher demand because it's eternal while silver is not. Also pretty much everything that makes gold useful in a survival situation silver does a worse job at. Gold is malleable and the best conductor. It's the best material by far to make homemade coils, motors, turbines, electrolysis rigs etc out of. Copper is only used because it's common.

>gold is the best conductor

Ok some of that makes sense. SIlver is indeed the most conductive metal though.

tibtech.com/conductivity.php
you know the internet is a thing.
You can verify what you are about to say before you spout ignorant horse-shit.

Copper for it's balance of properties pretty much makes it an all around winner for a survival metal. You can even use it for tools if you're in that much of a bind.

I don't think anybody here is actually gonna make any fucking motors if civilization collapses

There'll be plenty of broken shit to fix though. If you see a spool of copper wire laying around you may as well grab it.

Yes but not in the sense of your garage full of copper bars would be remotely useful.

Okay then why is my computer full of expensive gold and not cheaper silver? why didn't they just use copper?

>full of gold
Hardly.
blog.dell.com/en-us/how-much-gold-is-in-smartphones-and-computers/
>How about a laptop?
>Magann: Two hundred laptops would yield five troy ounces of gold.
There's less than a gram of gold in your average laptop.

It's mostly a meme. Component manufacturers seem to use gold on the visible areas because it looks nicer and doesn't get tarnished.

>Gold is the only element that doesn't degrade
also kek

You literally have to have a nearly fully automated industrial process and do it by the truck-load to actually profit from stripping gold out of used computer parts.

I remember reading that more than 10% of the mined gold is in electronics so it's still not completely insignificant

That ignores the point. Why do they use gold? Because it's the best conductor. It doesn't degrade or form films that stop conductivity. For electrolysis which can make you lots of money in a post industrial world the best metal is platinum but gold works very well because it doesn't degrade. In a pre/post industrial world a material simply not degrading is almost priceless and being so easily malleable on top of that means gold is the ultimate material for those conditions.

>it's the best conductor
Why do you keep saying this when I posted a link showing that you were wrong?

Silver and copper degrade and form films.

For the rich PMs are just diversify their assets. Everyone else is just poor trash buying it because rich people have it.
I rember scrapping metals with my mother's husband and us dreaming that if we just randomly found some gold that would save us somehow.

And you literally only need 0.777 grams of gold to make an entire laptop because you only need it to be a couple of atoms thick. The power cord, the wires for the fans the hard drive cables etc all still use copper though. Surfaces where thermal conductivity is important use either aluminium or copper that is coated to prevent oxidization. Gold isn't used where it is in computers because it's a better conductor. it's used because it doesn't oxidize under conditions you'd find inside computer components and because those components require a consistent electrical signal to function proper moreso than a strong one

None
There have been times throughout history that silver was more valuable then gold

Thank you for lecturing us user

yes, great job. gold is used in laptops because of its superior properties as a conductor.

Except that gold is not a superior conductor. It's only superior in this one application where components are so voltage sensitive due to being less than a nanometer in size that near 100% consistency is necessary.
Gold is inferior for every other electrical application in existence. If you buy gold plated audio cables it's because you're probably also circumcised.

When gold was $887 in 1980, there was less than $1 Trillion in paper and electronic dollars worldwide. Now there is almost $16 Trillion paper and electronic dollars. I don't know how much more gold there is today, but there may be twice as much gold now, compared to 1980.

>Buying copper bullion at a ridiculous premium to melt value
>Getting screwed when you try to sell it
>Not buying copper pipe and spools of copper wire and then selling it directly to contractors..

>Not buying stocks in copper mining companies, which outperform the price of copper
>Not buying long-term call options on copper mining companies.

>>Not buying stocks in copper mining companies, which outperform the price of copper
>>Not buying long-term call options on copper mining companies.
These are fantastic advice

>not collecting 6 millions of aluminium pull tabs and scrapping them to buy children wheelchairs on the advice of some Coca Cola objective.

He's somewhat right though. Gold doesn't oxidize in air or water. Silver does.

it's superior in every application where degradation is an issue and that's the main issue in post industrial botchjobs. The point is gold lasts so almost anything you want to make last works better if you use gold. With a low voltage power source you can gold plate things made of traditional metals to make them last.

>muh suppressed silver

I have been hearing this 'imminent end to silver manipulation' spiel for more than a decade now. Fuck off already.

If you go through the periodic table of elements you steadily start filtering out use-cases for chemical properties which can serviceably act as a substrate for a store of wealth.

What's incredible is over 1000s of years prior to humans knowing what elements were, in all cultures, each and every one of them has used gold and silver for this purpose.

It's almost as though if you throw sufficient time and social activity at the issue you never have a situation where silver and gold are not money.

Pound Sterling - (Sterling Silver - .925 alloy)

L'argent - (Argent - Silver)

Plata - Spanish for Cash (Silver)

Dinar - Denarius (Standard issue Roman silver coin)

Geld - Germany for Money (Gold)

Dinero - Denarius (Standard issue Roman silver coin)

$ - S - Silver Certificate for 371.25 grains (troy) of fine silver.

银行 - Chinese for "Bank" or "Silver Broker"

Silver and Gold have always been money because it's the only thing which you can't invent out of thin air. It's not convenient in the modern world so we have derivatives or imitations of it - however gold and silver have not and shall never lose their elemental perfection for use as a substrate to symbolize exchangeable human effort in kind.

>Why buy gold over silver...

If you have sufficient money it's easier -

Gold is the money of kings.

Silver is the money of gentlemen.

Copper is the money of peasants.

>And you literally only need 0.777 grams of gold to make an entire laptop

That amount of gold is nothing to sneeze at. My local gold dealer is selling a gram of gold for ~$64cad. That's a pretty big chunk of my $750 laptop.

China traded exclusively in silver you faggot. Britain drained their supply with heroin.

nice