Butter Chicken

Kinda new to this section, but I've gotten decent at cooking butter chicken and I'm wondering if people can give me feedback or discussion on how to improve it.

I usually use:
Chicken breast (enough for however many people I'm feeding)
A brown onion
2tbsp of butter
cup of cream
1/2 cup of greek yogurt
1 cup crushed tomatos
2tsp ground cumin
1tsp turmeric
1tsp ground coriander seeds
(1tsp chili powder if people like it spicy)

So what I do is I slice the onion and chuck it in the pan with butter on low heat til it goes brown, then put in the chicken and cook that til it's good to go. Next I chuck in the crushed tomatos and the seasoning (cumin, etc.), let that reduce for a tad and then add the yogurt and cream, stir it in and let it reduce til it goes orange, then serve with rice.

This works pretty nice for me, but I'm curious if there's anything I'm missing or could tweak to make it better? This is pretty much what I've taught myself so I'm prolly fucking it up somehow but it tastes good.

Or just discuss butter chicken in general, the most delicious of all indian food.

Other urls found in this thread:

monishgujral.com/recipe-butter-chicken-for-the-strong-hearted/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Sounds good, i'd do garlic, ginger, and chilli with the onions. Deseed the chilli if you don't want it hot. Also boneless thighs are far superior to breast meat for curry.

>chicken breast

You failed already

>tomatos

Chicken thigh and not breast, bone in if you don't mind the longer cook just add more cream & crushed tomato

Rub the chicken in tandoori paste (1-2 Tsp) and leave it in the fridge for a few hours before cooking.

Add 1 tsp of garam masala
Add 2-3 Tsp of tomato paste

You could also try coconut milk instead of cream.

>not using based ghee

White people, I swear.

>White people, i swear
White people, i swear

>eating rancid butter

Poo in loo m8

Disregard all the people telling you to use thighs, that's just their opinion. I prefer the breast myself, though I'll usually just use an entire chicken because it is cheaper.

Use twice the cumin you are currently using.
Dump the tomatoes.
You could probably increase the amount of butter.

Butter chicken served with rice - yes or no?

WHAT THE FUCK
have you ever read a recipe you fuck
MARINATE THE CHICKEN FIRST YOU DIUPOSHIT

This sounds great. Sorry that part of the heat migrated here and bitched. They do that.

Damn, that 'za looks good, OP. My mouth is watering.

Is butter chicken just the american name for tikka masala?

nice 'troit 'za senpai

Nah, it is actually an Indian dish (no a Anglicized one).

Thigh meat has more flavour than breast, is more traditional, and will not become dry. Also
>dump the tomatoes
Butter chicken requires tomatoes. Go away.

underrated post

thats wrong. thighs have more fat which equals more flavor than a breast that will dry out and get stringy. breast is rarely used. tomatoes are an essential ingredient.

i use the stuff that comes in the jar

If you want better flavor, add the seasonings to the chicken 2 or 3 minutes before adding the tomatoes.

Its literally clarified butter

You're adding cream so it doesn't matter street shitter

monishgujral.com/recipe-butter-chicken-for-the-strong-hearted/
This is the recipe I go by. It's very involved, but that's okay because it's not the sort of thing I make often.

>it's not the sort of thing I make often
And that is why you fail.

Don't forget to process it through your digestive system first to get that authentic indian texture

Maybe I'm just a jaded asshole, but why would you want to master the least flavorful and most boring of common Indian dishes? You could make Tikka, Vindaloo, Phaal, you could grill your chicken tandoori style, all sorts of amazing dishes... But you not only choose to make chicken in tomato sauce, but also somehow think that becoming really good at making it is a badge of honor.

>make tikka masala one time, just follow a recipe
>have never had tikka masala before
>it's by far the best thing i've ever made
>can't stop eating it
>go to throw away the coconut milk can
>80 fucking grams of fat in the coconut milk

how do you make tikka masala without 80 grams of extra fat in it

why do you think it tasted so good?
also you heard that fat is not bad for you like they thought in the 90s rright?

Delicious looking 'go 'za, bruh! :^)

Some chopped cilantro would be nice. Use the stalks too and save a bit of leaf for garnish. Rest of the comments here are pretty good too. Just adding what I can.

>he thinks ghee is rancid butter

laughing_whores.png

took me a second but man, what a great pic

Try using pasata, ghee & all important kasoori methi (dried fenugreek)

I also use tandoori chicken which i make seperatly and dump in the sauce at the end

Bum ting innit

>not marinating your meat
>not using thigh meat
>calling a yellow onion a brown onion
>not enough butter
>greek yogurt????
>chili powder
>crushed tomatoes
use pasata/puree god damnit

>no ginger or garlic
>no mention of salt or pepper

I tried this today. It tasted very sour.

why are they such whore

>also you heard that fat is not bad for you like they thought in the 90s rright?

Do not think this. Eating a ton of saturated fat from any source increases your cholesterol

>increases your cholesterol
you should read up user

i have a degree in this stuff user. I don't need to read websites. My program head was the world's foremost expert on cholesterol. Lol.

dietary cholesterol doesn't increase serum cholesterol, that's what you are confused about btw. saturated fat is not cholesterol.

eating fatty foods is fine user

sure it is. eating stuff with like 25 grams of saturated fat per serving isn't, however.

critically evaluate what is being said or don't respond. I didn't say "fat is bad". I posed a very specific instance in which fat is bad in a specific way.

Yes, you read things on websites. Congratulations. I studied human nutrition for four years under world class experts.

No one gives a shit about your internet degree user.
Go away.

>I have never accomplished anything, so I will simply diminish and dismiss those who have

:^)

So pathetic you brag on Veeky Forums about a 4 year degree.

Forget the chicken, user. Few things beats a good paneer butter masala. It gets even better if you make the paneer yourself.

There's nothing pretentious about using a tasty but common brand name legit product over a less tasty and equally cheap imitation product

I failed to copy paste the recipe and instead posted that crap.

Roughly chop 1 onion, 4 large ripe tomatoes, 3 inches of ginger and 7 cloves of garlic.
Heat up a tablespoon of butter in a pot under medium heat. Add 1tsp of whole cumin, 5 pods of green cardamom, 6 cloves, 1 inch cinnamon stick and two bay leaves to the pan. Gently fry the whole spices until the raw smell disappears and it becomes fragrant. Add the garlic, ginger and onion to the pan and sauté until the onions becomes soft. Add the chopped tomatoes and a half cup of water and cover with a lid. turn the heat down and simmer for about 20-30 minutes.

While it's simmering put about 50g or about 1.7oz of cashews in boiling water for about 10 minutes.
Then put the cashews in a blender along with a tablespoon of water and blitz until it's a smooth paste without any grains. Put aside for later use.

When the spices and vegetables have simmered for 20-30 minutes take it off the heat and let it cool for a few minutes.
Put everything in a blender until it's smooth and completely without grains. You don't want pieces of the whole spices left. Put aside.

Heat a tablespoon of butter in a pot and add 1tsp of chili powder. Use more chili powder if you like more heat. It's mostly for color anyway so if you don't like it spicy you may use paprika. gently fry the chili powder for a minute but make sure not to burn it. It turns dark very quick if you're not careful. Pour in the tomato sauce in the pot, put the lid on and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.

When it has been simmering for about 10 minutes add 1tsp of coriander powder, 1tsp of garam masala, 1/2 cup of cream, 1tbs of honey and the cashew paste. Stir in the ingredients and cover it with a lid. Let it simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
Next put in the cubed paneer, cover and simmer for 5 more minutes. Add salt to preferred saltiness(about 1 1/2tbs in my case) and serve with rice, naan or whatever you prefer.

This sounds good user
I would try either marinating the chicken for a day in yoghurt, or just coat it in vegetable oil and tandoori masala and bake for 12 minutes before adding to the sauce

So pathetic you don't have one to brag about.

Things seem easy until you do them yourself, but you wouldn't understand that.

I make a similar recipe, but I usually add something like indian/chinese eggplant to it as well. Gives it a bit more going on and is delicious

Thats a good idea, I'll have to try that sometimes.

Marinate the chicken in lemon juice and Kashmiri chili powder. Then add ginger, garlic, spices, yoghurt and oil. Let it rest over night, though a few hours is ok as well.

Browning the onion is good though I do add cloves, cardamon, cinnamon and bay leaves. Also fresh ginger, garlic and chili. As for spices, freshly roasted ground cumin, coriander, fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds.

Fresh tomatoes if possible. Really gives the sauce a thicker and fuller body. Chicken stock (home made if possible).

Finish with cream. Cashew nuts optional.

Who the hell told you coconut milk goes in butter chicken? Coconut milk is unheard of in new Delhi where the dish was invented. Use cream. Not going to make it any healthier but at least it'll taste proper.

Cashews don't go in a paneer butter masala. It's usually just butter and tomatoes. Sometimes cream to balance the heat. Adding cashews makes it a shahi paneer.

He's talking about tikka masala not butter chicken

I love paneer but can you even buy it anywhere or do you have to make it at home?

Not that user, but as much as I enjoy complex recipes, there's definitely joy to be had in getting really good at making something relatively simple. Also sometimes basic things can be comforting as fuck.

Personally green curry chicken is my thing. I seem to make it at least once a month (sometimes multiple times in the same week). It's not a complicated recipe (even when making your own paste), but I'd still say it's taken me awhile to get it to where it is now.

I am very, very sorry!

In my town I can find frozen paneer in a few indian stores but it's expensive and it's so easy to make it yourself.

Here, have a recipe.

3l or 12 11/16 cups of pasteurized milk (not the ultra or super pasteurized kind)
Juice from two medium sized lemons
1tbs white vinegar

Heat the milk while stirring to prevent burning in the bottom until it rises and just starting to boil turn off the heat and add the lemon juice and vinegar. Stir gently until all the curds have been separated and the whey is almost without color. Pour everything into a cheesecloth or something like a kitchen towel made of cotton. Squeeze out most of the liquid and then form it into a two inch thick cake. Put about 3kg or 6,5lbs-7lbs of weight on it for about 1 1/2 hours.
Cut it into your preferred shapes, put it in an airtight container and cover the paneer with cold water. Put in fridge and it will last a couple of days. You may also just throw the cubes in a bag and put it in the freezer and it will last for about a month. I have found, however, that storing it in the freezer may make the paneer a bit crumbly. It's not a big deal but you loose some of the firmness.

Btw, don't ask me about why I used the ingredients i used. I have tried making paneer many times before with mixed results. This time I got great results and this is what I used.

do you have a recipe for tiki chicken marsala

btw this recipe made about 450g of paneer.

It's easy to make but if you're lazy or you just can't be bothered to do it, some major grocery stores with cheese sections carry it. I say some but I only personally know of one, Fred Meyer. They have a halfway decent cheese section, if not expensive.

Thats pretty much how I cook my curry chicken, except I had some jalapenos, serranos and half of a habanero. Also add 1 tbsp of curry powder, 1tbsp cayenne, and 1 tsp garam masala, then throw in as much cilantro as you like. Shit is delicious.