Just bought pic related

Just bought pic related.
Best way to 'season' a wok for first time use?
Every video or guide I read is totally different and don't want to fuck this up.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/hNPe5-swL-k
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

cook bacon in it or lard at medium temp. for 20 mins will be fine...make sure to keep moving it around and covering the entire inside with the grease....wash in water when done and wipe with paper towel dont use soap

can i use a stainless steel scrub to clean off the shipping oil that protects the wok from rusting off before your steps?

Clean it with soap and water first, dry it out, heat it and rub oil and salt into it

yeah you use soap also to help clean that off...i just use SOS pads which are steel wool and soap combined....use a fine frit steal wool though...you just want to clean off the residue not scratch the wok

do not rub salt in it lmao....and if your gonna use an oil make sure it is conola or something with high heat of vap.

fine grit steel wool my bad..im doing to many things at once

Yes, rub salt

don't woks have a puddle of oil in them most of the time?

no salt is to help clean it after you have cooked on it fool...so you dont have to use soap....have a nice day

some asians reuse their oil....woks are meant to cook at very high heat and will kill any bacteria in the oil before they reuse it

No, its called salt seasoning it and thats what the restaurants do. I worked in an upscale asian restaurant for 5 years. Soap and water. Oil and salt.

lol you worked at in asian restraunt...my grandma is full asian...have a nice day

So was the dude from hong kong that taught me.

has your mother professionally cooked for most of her life or is she just asian. Assuming she knows jack all about how to season a wok properly is kind of racist.

lol and he probably learned it from a cooking school in hong kong

Lol no hes actually from hong kong

she was a professional cook...her specialty was cakes though...no wonder she got diabetes

>restaurants use salt!

Tell us something we don't know, faggot. Everyone knows you're supposed to use entirely too much salt when you're cooking for /other/ people and not yourself.

I dont think you understand what we're talking about

Same way you season a cast iron or Mineral B. High heat with oil. The key isn't really the /initial/ season moreso than it is constant use over time. When you're done using it, rub a wee bit of oil over the inner cooking surface; you can heat it off if you want to. Don't be too focused on creating a perfect season off the bat.

lol how much legit wok cooking has she done though

youtu.be/hNPe5-swL-k

Is that the $20 wok from bed bath & beyond? Was thinking about buying it but it had a Walmart-tier price.

more then any of us will in our life

Woks are stupid to buy unless you cook with gas. A flat electric burner doesn't transfer enough heat to efficiently cook at the temperatures necessary.

Electric coils and induction are terrible for cooking with at ANY time with ANY pan

its a piece of stamped sheet steel with a handle riveted on

its the cheapest cooking vessel made

At least a flat bottom pan will transfer the heat properly, once it takes 5 minutes for the coil to warm up.

With a curved bottom and a 3 inch round flat spot, you'll never get the same heat transfer.

please point me to the post where anyone indicated anything about an electric stove being used

because right now it looks like you're pathetically trying to show off knowledge you picked up in remedial cooking 099

Don't get upset about your electric range, retard. Calm the fuck down.

>Wash with soap and water
>Burn off factory oil
>Wash with soap and water
>Dry
>Fill about a third the way up with peanut oil and chopped yellow onion
>Fry the fuck out of the onion until burnt
>Spread oil all around inside of pan while frying

All done.