20% is the new tip standard

>20% is the new tip standard

discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/05u9c9u1S0s?t=1m35s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I think it's the fault of lazy people who didn't want to figure out what 15% was.

You can't just make something else the standard. That's not how standards work.

15-20% has always been the standard.

I always just tip $20 or 20%, whichever is higher.

increase my meal by 20%, just dont call it a tip. Hell, I can get up and grab my own food and water from a drink machine.

Waiters need to check their fucking privilege

>incoming: people bitching about tipping.

I tip at least 5 bucks wherever I go, because I almost never eat out.

It's the fault of the food industry which wants to underpay workers to put even more cost on the person buying food, but I'm not going to make someone get minimum wage because of the establishment.

If anything, it just proves how absolutely insane going out to eat is, you spend generally 10 dollars+ per plate after taxes & tip no matter where you go unless it's cheap fast food

For a plate of say a chicken sandwich, usually 10 bucks after all said and done at a restaurant, you could have bought pounds upon pounds of meat and vegetables and ate like a king at home

I just do one dollar per person or 1 dollar per drink if I'm at the bar. If I open a tab I do 2 dollars at the bar. The price of the food shouldn't have anything to do with the tip

I will tip what I consider how you served me. I don't give a single fuck about your """"""""standard"""""""", wageslave. Not my problem you accepted a momkey-tier job.

>inb4 I will spit in your food :DDDD

Do most people realize almost all servers and bartenders tip out a percentage of their sales to the rest of the staff? So assholes who don't tip are making a server pay out of their own pockets.

that's illegal in the united states..

>don't tip one time
>waitress follows me out of the restaurant and to my car in order to chew me out
>calls me an asshole for taking food from her children's mouth

I don't fucking get it, you think I'd change my mind and give you a $20 after you just insulted me?

I don't tip anymore, btw.

I'm guessing you are either black, jewish, red-dot indian or wear a fedora.

In Canada its a very real thing, most restaurants make you tip out 5% of your sales to the kitchen, bussers, hosts etc.

so beastiality you fucking leaf.

>5%
AH HA HA HA HA HA
no. 2%, 3.5% at the higher end resteraunts.

$5, that is the maximum I tip.
when a waiter is dealing with a section of tables, and turning over each one inside of an hour, if everybody paid $5 they would still be making $30 an hour tax free.
Most people tip more than that which is why those poor abused waiters make $400-$600 for a dinner shift.

the cost of my meal shouldn't determine your tip, whether you carried out a steak or a plate of chicken fingers your job was no harder

The standard used to be 10%, then 15%. Like hell I'm giving 20%.

I tipped a papa johns delivery boy 20 bucks, he was doing late night delivery over hours so yeah dude earned it I think

No you didn't and or no he didn't

not that guy but I always tip a 20 to the delivery guy. it's not that unusual.

That money is not tax free

It is if you do t report any of your tips until the irs fucks you in the ass for not paying taxes of thousands of dollars of annual income

I never understood why tipping norms increase with time. Inflation isn't a good answer since we're talking percentages here. Bills get larger with inflation too. Is it just because we're moving to a more service based economy and more and more entitled people with degrees are joining the workforce. Serving in anything but the top restaurants in your city isn't supposed to give you anything more than money to live modestly off. You aren't supposed to buy a car and house off money made off serving.

because people like to one-up each other. when you go out to eat with your friends, there is often one person who pays attention to what other people leave so they can leave just a little more.

>tfw you live in a small city
>tfw you take care of your servers and bartenders because they take care of you

and by "take care of," i mean i tip well and they give me the hook on free apps, drinks, deserts and employee priced meals.

Nah that was only if the service was great or outstanding. It used to be 10% in 80-90's

that was before waiting tables outside a fine dining place was a possible career.

fuk

/thread

Do you tip the McDonalds monkeys in your pathetic countries too?

I mean, they get paid shit wages too.

no because that's counter service. we tip waiters, which is what you would probably be if you came to our "pathetic" country.

>I'm a volunteer
>give me money

That's not how that works Pedro

his name isn't pedro, it's Jaime.

I'm pretty sure paying out to the restaurant is illegal but paying out to other employees

And even if it's illegal I've noticed only upscale places do it cause then if a waiter makes a shit fit about it they loose the 800 dollars they were making a night

>$15 minimum wage passed
>stopped tipping altogether

I'm a driver for jimmy johns in a large city where I deliver downtown. 20% is rare as all hell. The majority of our customers tip 10%. mostly less.

Black women never tip.

it would be justified to not tip if that happened. that's probably how tipping culture will end, in my opinion.

fucking kingslayer

Minimum wage laws havent been applying to them before, why would they now?

In most states servers in restaurants make between 1 and 3 dollars below their states minimum wage because they are expected to make tips. The entire reason why people tip is because people in those industries rarely make a livable salary, which is only true people the companies expect people to tip (and because corporate greed). 15$/hr means decent wage and therefor no point in tipping. Some people would probably still tip out of general kindness though.

Do blacks not even tip other blacks?

it's 10%. 15% is generous. fuck you you're not getting 20% unless i want to fuck you or I'm coming back next time.

Nope. This is why blacks don't get ahead. Mexicans are slightly better tippers, but in this regard are similar. They will not help out their own.

This is what Jews do. If a rich Jewish family goes out to eat, and their waiter is Jewish, you can be sure that the man who is paying the check will drop a big tip.

Do they really *never* tip? Do you ever say something? Fuck there's just no excuse.

When I was in college I used to tip the Jimmy John's man AND let him hit my bong if he wanted.

According to who?

Glad I don't go out to eat. Glad I love to cook.

coffee shops are counter service, and every one of those wretched places has a tip jar.

I think it's because like said, more people who would normally never get a shitty job are now having to and thus experience what it's like/pity them. I notice it in my sisters who did not give a fuck about tipping until they had to work jobs that involved tipping. Now they will tip well even if a server is inept and shitty.

Waiters at places with good turnover can make way, way higher than minimum wage, though. It's not unheard of for a waiter to make more than the cook/chef, which is ridiculous.

They should just get wages and tips should really be seen as a commendation of quality (though that will never be the case).

That doesn't mean you're expected to tip at coffee shops you autist. They just want to get more free money from retards like you.

woow i can't wait to get in on this hot underground action

I haven't ate in a restaurant in almost a year.

feels good to live in a not retarded country where tips are what they're supposed to be and the customer doesn't have to care about how much money waiters make

*tips fedora*

>Can do the job high
>Deserving of more than minimum wage

Pick one

Volunteer doesn't mean wage, not non-profit.

I don't speak meme language but I'll assume freedom doesn't allow you to use common sense

I'm lazy like that which is why I tip 10%.

itt: cheap assholes

I almost always tip 20%, only in extraordinary circumstances do I tip less. on most bills the difference between 15 and 20 is, what? 2 dollars, 3? it's hardly anything and I hardly notice the difference in my wallet. but more importantly, going out and eating is a joyful experience, and I'm not going to taint that joy with penny pinching.

10%.

God asks for 10%, you don't get more than God.

So, Europe? This is pretty much how it works everywhere but America

I work in a Hotel and one of my duties is driving our airport shuttle van, which frequently has me shuttling flight attendants whose airline has a contract with our hotel. Traditionally, they give you a dollar tip at the end. In fact, the airline PAYS THEM A STIPEND in order to pay this tip, so they receive money earmarked for this.

Black Women never tip. Ever.

this desu senpai

>people still actually feel the need to use some arbitrary rule for tipping
Just toss the server/delivery person a fiver and be done with it. If it's a large bill make it a 10 or a 20 dollar tip. There's no god damn need to be so obsessed with "tipping rules" and end up in a situation where you're thinking
>uhhh oh ggggod I'm 62 cents short of my 13.75 tip aaaaaaahhhh jeeezzz
Tipping is dumb enough as it is, but you retards are making it even dumber.

I'll toss it on the floor and watch them debase themselves more. They're essentially beggars anyway. While they are prostated, I'll step on their backs to remind them their fate and place in society. Truly, it is good being higher up the social ladder

Goddamn i wish you get hit by a trailer and that the medical bill wont be covered.

I usually don't tip because I don't believe in the concept.

Fuck waiters.

>god asks for...

yes it is god asking for that money.

This

I will never, ever go above 15.

>So assholes who don't tip

I think you'll find the real assholes are those who 1) think tipping is mandatory irrespective of your level of service and 2) your shitty government for not fixing the damn economic problem in the first place and with no interest in doing so

The same could probably be said right back at you.

I think you'll find you're on the spectrum

not tipping is pretty douchy.

So aggressive ;P

Enjoy your no tips in the future ;P

I usually tip 15% as a base, 20% if it's a place I eat at a lot and/or get great service (the two usually go hand in hand). Very rare I don't tip (I tip regardless of food quality cause waiter has nothing to do with that shit, hell even if the waiter fucks up I usually don't care as long as it gets sorted out.. ).

Yes usual bitching about tips and the way the whole system works, but it is what it is.

i'm not a waiter. I always tip $20 or 20%, whichever is higher. i'll always do this.

Why tip ever? The servers are getting payed anyway. By gaming the system I get other people to subsidies cheaper food.

You should used that money to buy some grammar books.

haha ok.

i bet you also tip your fedora in your way out

Im planning a trip to the USA, I've got 10k USD to spend, should I spare 2k+ for tips? I heard you even tip people walking on the street there.

>classic fedora response
the fedora people are the ones who dont tip and bitch about it "not making sense"

Here's a tip you self entitled, unskilled laborer, waiting ISNT A CAREER. You SHOULD hate waiting because its a shit job you do when you have no other skills.

Veeky Forums Reservoir Dogs tipping scene re-enactment #3466643

Lived in japan while studying abroad...

Most of their mid-small restaurants all use pay machines.

Super convinent, super fast, no hassle and GREAT food. Fits well with the busy Japanese lifestyle.

Don't see why mass adoption wouldn't happen here in the US.

You only really need waiters at fu fu 8 course tasting meals or decent stakehouses where you're PAYING to get your ASS KISSED...

I'll pay for a shoeshine boy to kiss my ass which is what waiters should be. Not for some self entitled snooty fagoot who thinks they "deserve" a 20% tip

underrated.

Following this I sometimes give 50% tip, but sometimes do 10%.

The services performed dictate the tip, not the price of food.

Yeah, I'm fucking loving this. No more retarded waiter fucking up my order 16 times. And especially with places having those rotating of changing menus now, the ordering machine is just so much better.

Seriously one of my favorite parts of Japan.

I always tip $3, unless it's a really nice place.

> company gives a stipend rather then more cheaply mass booking of transport

call me a jew but that is inefficient

It's already starting to happen here. Due to unskilled laborers demanding $15 an hour (as implied by your image), they will soon be out of a job.

youtu.be/05u9c9u1S0s?t=1m35s

dont worry i will protect your economic security m`lady.
Another day another maiden saved

Japan is the land of efficiency.

Waiters are a completely unnecessary inefficiency in today's world if you think about it.

Waiters = tradition for the sake of tradition.

Or like the other guy said, waiters are good only if you want to pay to have your ass kissed and pampered when you pay for a $300 meal.

I've heard that even Japanese minimum wage workers at fast food restaurants are good. How true it it?

>go to Asian place on my way home all the time
>tip $2 everytime
>they don't know any better because 95% of people who go there are clueless Chinese millennials
>they love me and give me free snacks and drinks

This is actually one of the reasons why I like Asian restaurants. If you go there long enough, they'll give you more or even free food even if you're not that big of a tipper just because you're pleasant and polite.

The only issue with that sort of thing will be for the people just starting out in the job market- high school kids etc looking for their first job, say (ie the only kind of people who should be doing monkey-tier jobs like serving). They need to get experience somewhere and accumulate money to pay for school- it's already getting harder as more and more bottom tier jobs are automated/outsourced.

Yeah, that's a pity. Too bad retards demanding "a living wage" didn't account for that. It's actually more difficult to get an entry level job nowadays because everybody is asking for 2 years of experience even for those shitty jobs.

>10%.
>
>God asks for 10%, you don't get more than God.

Tell that to the Fed.

>be waiter
>black people have been by far the nicest and most generous with tips
>treat me like family even though I'm white
I live in a nice area but even the hypebeast darkskin niggahs were very polite

Jaime didn't make that post. Pedro did.

Give me a reason why the price of a meal should dictate the tip a waiter gets for bringing a plate over.

$5 should be fine for almost any meal. More if they're extra nice.