This is what I drink every night, does this make me an alcoholic? My mom says it does, I disagree

This is what I drink every night, does this make me an alcoholic? My mom says it does, I disagree

It makes you white trash with awful taste.

i live in a nice house though

If I put a pig in a suit it doesn't make him a gentleman.

lol fair enough

I drink a little more than that and i think I'm an alcoholic but my mom says im fine

I just drink a shit ton of mediocre vodka at room temperature, and can't imagine chocking down 24oz of some generic "ice" beer that's less than 6% abv, only to follow it with a 40 of Steel Reserve. Do you treat the Fireball as though they're palate cleansers, like the ginger at a sushi restaurant?

Every night? You're an alcoholic dude

i drink the fireball prior to the beer sometimes i drink them on the way home from the store

that's equivalent to like 9 drinks or so right? you're probably an alky by definition m8

It's better to define alcoholism by behavior rather than just amounts. If you can drink that every day but still have a job, normal relationships, and otherwise function as a normal person then who cares?

ya thats what I figure

Ever hear of a high functioning alcoholic? Yeah, that's a thing. Alcoholism is when you drink despite relationship and other life consequences. OPS drinking is causing a strain with his mother, yet he doesn't even adjust his drinking habits. OP is an alcoholic.

Pretty much this.

I've been "technically" an alcoholic for years, but had a job and healthy relationships.

It was probably when I started slipping on my "nothing before 5pm" rule that things went downhill. Now I can barely get out of bed without having a drink (even to go pee).

Yeah, a functioning alcoholic is still and alcoholic (you could say the same about a stoner), so if it doesn't affect their lives or the people around them, who gives a shit. My one piece of advice is don't start day drinking. For me at least that's when things went into a downward spiral (going out to lunch at a restaurant for lunch and having a beer or two, I'm talking about starting the day with a shot or two before getting out of bed).

This. It's probably not doing your long term health any favors either OP. How long have you been drinking like this OP?

not really a strain, shes an alki herself, she just pointed it out to me. I dont do anything when drunk cause arguments or anything destructive i mainly sit in my room post on here or play vidya

I actually just started day drinking, have a airplane shot or two, when out just because. Or when I grill outside i now have a few beers because its summer. dat downward spiral

around 8 years give or take. My parents drink heavily too and been since I can remember, they usually almost kill a 8 dollar bottle of vodka a night they split it.

Meh, unless you have a physical dependency you might be OK. Most definitions of addiction are when a behavior continues despite increasing consequences.

Fellow user who drinks similar stuff. Yes, it does.

I'm trying to dial it down, myself.

That's really what I was getting at. And even if you are technically an alcoholic if you're high functioning and it's not hurting your life then you shouldn't really need to put up with the negative stigma attached to the label.

I can't agree more about the day drinking. I've always has a psychological addiction to alcohol but I could always be fine the next day and stop for weeks at a time when I only drank at night. Once I started drinking during the day, even if it's just a drink or 2 an hour to keep a mild buzz going, that's when the physical addiction kicks in and I get withdrawals when I stop

Yeah you definitely are.

Yep, you're a habitual user of alcohol. The fact that it's daily is also a check against you. Get a hold of it before it gets bad.

The main thing is that you're messing with the neurochemicals in your brain, mainly GABA in this case. Yes, you're reaching homeostasis daily, but eventually your nervous system will buckle, most likely many years from now, but that depends on if your usage ramps up.

In the meantime, you should aim to cut back, and have a few days where you don't drink (or have the low government recommended dose of 3). Take b complex, multivitamins, fish oil, and milk thistle every day. Magnesium would also be good, as well as tudca on your days off.

This is the correct way to dabble.

Yeah... I wake up with hardcore shakes and see all sorts of disorienting things when I close my eyes and can no longer drive on anything other than back roads without getting dizzy and freaking out. Even if someone else drives me to the grocery store or there's some kind of event I'm obligated to attend I need to take clonazepam in addition to the alcohol, which makes me feel pretty good, but turns me into a bumbling idiot while keeping me lucid enough to know how much of a bumbling idiot I was the next morning when I wake up with the shakes and spiders and bad breath.

i do take vitamins and go to the gym 4 days a week dunno if that helps anything

What if he gets to the point where he'a a nonfunctioning alcoholic? What about when he's 65 years old and is diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver?

OP, you are an alcoholic, and need to stop drinking. The sooner the better.

It does. Of course, these aren't solutions, merely band aids.

Stop trying to justify being an alcoholic

You are making excuses for yourself and you don't even realize it. Cut it down to one fireball and eventually none and then eventually none of the alcohol , clearly you can't handle your consumption

Every night? Like, literally every single night? How the fuck do you get up in the morning? That shit would have me in bed all day and feeling like shit.

Fuck that's the worst man, shakes I can at least disguise for the most part but I can't stand the closing your eyes thing you mentioned. I get super tired and want to sleep, but when I close my eyes I just see flashing lights and shit and can never get to bed. I wish I had benzos on hand for when withdrawal hits

yes 7 days a week, and i dont get up i have a weird sleeping schedule i hit bed like 3am and get up 12pm

You're an alcoholic man, sorry to say.

The worst is when it's a fight between your head and your guts.

I'm jumpy, shaky, everything is spinning... but on the other hand I have shooting pains in my side and a bloated belly that's screaming, "don't put anymore liquor in us!!", and the head inevitably ends up winning, only to wake up to the next level of the same game tomorrow.

Yes, that makes you an alcoholic, retard.

I usually force myself to puke even if not much comes up and it makes the nausea go away then i can start drinking again

Same. I functioned fine night drinking, my rule used to be no drinking until the sun is down (drank more in the winter). I can trace the long dark downward spiral back to the day I decided it was OK to drink a couple beers at 2 p.m. everyday right after work.

>hardcore shakes

When I was in college I had a long bender during out week off for spring break since I didn't have money to go anywhere to friends, I was drinking over a liter of vodka a day and stupidly kept doing that until the night before I had to go back to class. I was so shaky in class the next day I literally couldn't even write my own name on an in class quiz we had to take, I just walked out and took a zero. That was a real wakeup call for me

damn son

What if I rarely drink, less than once a month on average, but when I do drink I'll drink a litre of vodka in a night or 12+ beers (500ml cans). I feel like that's potentially worse than a constant but small amount of alcohol

ya but u give ur liver like a month off.

Wait what?

if you drink once a month, ur liver has time to recover and isn't under constant abuse

Binge drinking is technically a form of alcoholism, but really if its once a month its no big deal. Your liver is one of the only tissues along with skin which is able to self heal to some extent

this.

>If you can drink that every day but still have a job, normal relationships, and otherwise function as a normal person then who cares?

your body... and in addition to the alcohol I'm sure the extra shit in Fireball and malt liquor isn't great for your body.

lol everything is "bad" for you now a days.

Jesus... a liter of vodka?
Control your drinking, people...

You're gonna spend more time dead than you are alive, might as well enjoy the alive part in any way you can.

You sound like one of those anti-smoking fags who would slap cigarettes out of your hand 15 years ago because your great great second uncle died of lung cancer.

If someone isn't lowering their quality of life but simply shortening it, it's none of your business.

not being able to climb 3 flights of stairs without wheezing definitely impacts your quality of life. people are often blind to the negative impacts of their vices because they slip into them slowly.

That's was fucking stupid, user.

All he said is that it wasn't good for your body, which is factually correct. Whatever you said had no relation except for being some kind of pissed off defense mechanism.

I think about killing myself all the time. I have cocaine tho.

I was drinking a liter a day when I had to go to medical detox. They checked my BAC when I was admitted and it was so high they couldn't even admit me until hours later. Don't let it get that bad anons. The best part is im alive and drinking much less. Bad part is since I "came out" about my severe alcoholism I can no longer casually have a drink around family. And now when I'm around they either refrain from drinking or act strangely if drinking.

>mom got rid of my old stein collection from my grandpa when she freaked out and got rid of all the "triggers"

>for awhile when I'd ride with her around town she'd drive out of the way to avoid passing a liqour store

Get more sober anons but if you can try not to let people close to you know how bad you are. I don't regret it but I kinda shot myself in the foot when I called home and made this giant confession about how fucked I actually was.

If you can't physically get around or function then obviously it affects your quality of life. Many people smoke and drink knowing that it's having a negative effect on their body and most likely shortening their lives, but if they're still living their lives and enjoying themselves they don't really care, and that's not something a stranger should have any say in.

I'm drinking similar. "Bow Valley Strong". Its basically an ice beer/malt liquor.

But my body can't handle consuming it anymore and I'm sweating like crazy and puking if I try to drink. I'm shaking a bit. Is this withdrawal? I've been drunk for 2 weeks straight, morning till night.

Are you illiterate? Where are you pulling all these implications from?

Oh, that's right, you're drunk.

>All of that shit tier poorfag booze

Anyone desperate enough to touch the swill you're drinking is easily an alcoholic.

ITT aspie shutins convince themselves they're Chuck Bukowski

Does your skin start to itch when you go a few days without drinking? My skin has been itching like crazy, thought I had dermatitis or scabies but i've noticed the itching goes away whenever I start drinking during the afternoon so I guess its my nerves.

I know that feeling, my mom used to toss a bottle of my favorite liquor in with birthday gifts and such thinking I drank casually with my friends, little to know it'd be mostly empty by the end of the night. After learning about my alcohol tendencies she's constantly warning me not to drink more at home if we go out for a couple beers, keeping tabs on exactly how much alcohol is around the house, sifting through my stuff when I'm not there, etc. I understand where she's coming from but my heavy drinking was only for about 2 months when I was going through some shit. She keeps pressuring me to go seek therapy

>all these implications

I might be drunk, but I'm not illiterate. Why don't you name a few of these unwarranted implications that you somehow read into that post?

>Bukowski

He always had a woman around though so he was never that bad off.

My mom hid my alchol last night. Just finally got it back. She does that a lot.

She doesn't keep booze around and if she does she hides it well.

>Decide to have a beer with dinner one night
>Can't remember the last drink I had and I really wanted a beer, since I bought a sixer of my favourite
>"Why do you need beer with your dinner user?! Are you an alcoholic?!"

The worst is when you have maybe 2 drinks a week total and people still think you're an alcoholic.

My dad was an alcoholic and I would say yes if you, wake up with a full beer or glass of liquor, wake up at intervals throughout the night only to go drink more alcohol. And stay up late getting blackout drunk watching Russian kino.

I laugh in the face of ignorant people who make stupid assertions like that (same with people who say bad stuff about weed, and I don't even smoke), as long as they don't know how much I actually drink.

All the dude said that drinking that much is unhealthy, then you fly into the whole "don't judge my life, you have no right" retarded illiterate mode.

>You sound like one of those anti-smoking fags who would slap cigarettes out of your hand 15 years ago because your great great second uncle died of lung cancer.
You drunken retard.

sage, don't reply to me

It's mostly my parents who do this, then they wines why I'm apprehensive about accepting drinks from anyone, because any time I do I hear "What are you, an alcoholic?!" After, and every time I decline it's "Why not?!"

I can't fucking win with such hard headed people.

I wake up with the drink already poured because I forgot to drink it before passing out. I call them my "morning surprise".

Not him but I agree 100%. If someone's habit has a clearly negative on their health and social relations, you should call them out on it. The whole "don't judge" attitude doesn't extend to everything. If someone likes to hit themselves in the balls with a hammer and they retort with "Hurr it's my life you can't judge me I'm not hurting anyone" are their actions any better? No. They're still retarded.

Simple test.

Go 3 days without booze.

If you don't get physical withdrawal symptoms, then you haven't built up a physical dependency....yet.

Nothing like trying to choke down a warm rum and coke with no fizz left the next morning, trying not to immediately puke it back up just to stave off withdrawals. Or warm, half empty flat beers

i tried to go without for 2 days, I wasn't physically like shaking, but mentally I craved it and caved in after one night, i even woke up that day with the taste of beer in my mouth and ran tot he bar to get a draft beer to "quench" my thirst

Then you're an alcoholic.

Maybe a functioning alcoholic, but an alcoholic nonetheless.

That's not good for the health, user.

Reminds me of the time when I left an open beer on the patio and I drank most of it before I realized there was a dead cockroach in the bottom of the bottle, puked a bunch.

i use my 40ozs as a piss jug the plastic ones and one day woke up half hung over and still drunk and drank my piss

I get really thirsty, maybe a little foggy or headache, not really cravings though. For the last two days I've had a total of 2 beers a night, but damn I'm so thirsty right now and the water isn't doing much.

Saying that you sound like some kind of sjw anti-smoking fag isn't an implication, it's an analogy, and a hyperbole. Nobody ever said that drinking wasn't unhealthy, and at no point was that in dispute.

>casually drinking and smoking is the same as hitting yourself in the balls with a hammer

Again, I might be a little drunk, but it feels like I'm in crazy land being the one called illiterate here.

Honestly thinking of rehab. Would love some ativan so I can stop drinking this swill.

My body has just been rejecting it all day.

sometimes its weird, its a craving for a draft light beer at the bar. sometimes its almost a thirst quencher like Gatorade

I used to choke down whatever vodka was left in my mug when I passed out the next morning, but it eventually dawned on me that a good amount of the alcohol evaporates during the night and it's really not worth it.

>Drinking and smoking to the point of serious health consequences is the same as casual drinking and smoking

Alright, you can put the bottle down now.

>talk about implying

It's hard to tell the difference between piss and old, flat malt liquor when you're half drunk. It happens.

Well I mean do you HAVE to drink it every night? Like can you choose not to drink it and still have a normal life without it affecting you? I think that's the difference between being an addict and not.

lol very good point.i usually try to keep a bottle of water next to my bed at all time.

with your mom?

well yea, my parents im also 29. but still

>It's better to define alcoholism by behavior rather than just amounts
No. That much alcohol will destroy your life regardless. It just might take some time to catch up to you. I drink about a pint a day and I drink way too much.

A pint of whiskey or a pint of beer? A pint of beer is actually good for you.

If a drink has "shatter proof" as a selling point you know that most people who drink it live under a bridge

Your mom sounds like a nice lady.

Or an even bigger alcoholic than you.

You're an alky when you can't stop your hands from shaking unless you get pretty damn drunk, and also if you're an alky the withdrawal anxiety will be so unbearable that you will pretty much need to drink around the clock.
I doubt you're there yet but it can happen to anyone, just be careful dude. There's not a damn thing wrong with having some drinks every day, but if you are getting tanked every single night it may take some time, months, years, more years, but it can happen, and once it does it's pretty bad news.

I drink this stuff a lot. It's literally only drank by punk rock kids and homeless natives. I believe they drink something similar in the UK. Comes in big plastic bottles. Perfect for drinking on the street.

I used to be a homeless and kept some of my habits.

I drink this sometimes but it gives me bad hangovers. I often see homeless buying big plastic bottles of it. They also drink this which I drink too. Gives a great buzz. At least the first one does

every night? Then definitely you're an alcoholic, if you cant go a whole week without it, then you need to seriously look at you're own behaivor.

We should mate.

I threatened to stab my mother to death coked up and drunk off a 30 pk of Miller Highlife. I continue to drink. I work next to an AA meeting place, but will NEVER step foot into it. I will start a fire.