How realistic is it to get good enough at python and sql to the point where you can write automation scripts and go...

how realistic is it to get good enough at python and sql to the point where you can write automation scripts and go around as independent contractor and build tools and processes for companies? (while charging alot of money, of course)

can you ask that question referencing a coin please?

Automating what?
If you re-phrase the question as; can software developers go wherever the hell they like and still be able to economically flourish on their skills? The answer is yes.
But if you insist on using python and SQL, and you define "automation" as the commissioning and decomissioning of windows desktops or something silly like that, then no. So it really does depend on how flexible you are on means and ends.

DYOR faggot

is that chloe lee?

bbbrrrrrrppppffffffttt

itd be something like going into some sort of saas company which is dependent on their own archaic software a) not showing them what it needs to do and b) not doing what it needs to do.

with python glue and a sql database i can create daily KPI performance reports and automate key business practices

No money in that desu

fuck, really?

why not? id assume most companies would find this to be a very valuable tool.

No but you could do this with python and golang and java and groovy and SQL and postgres and mariadb and dynamodb and mongodb and grafana and Elasticsearch and a massive list of other technologies.

You don't solve these problems with a one-tool-fits-all approach.

i see... i was always under the impression that python was the best glue irregardless of framework.

if you don't mind, would you please explain some of the more useful functions of the other languages/frameworks you had listed, as well as how i would learn how to best implement them for specific problems?

As an independent contracter, you have to be top shit. If you want a permanent job doing that at half the rate at some rando corporation, about one year + college.

There's nothing better than a thick asian with no tattoos.

Just get a normal database job

I want independence and flexibility

>asian
>brapable

this is the future of biz

BRAP PANTHER

stop right there, im out.

hahaha, if it were that easy every idiot would be doing it

>with python glue and a sql database i can do what any pajeet can do

There's no one tool that's best regardless of the situation, generally

That's like saying "I thought a wrench is the best tool, do I really need a screwdriver/hammer?"

The upside is that once you know one language, transitioning to another is mostly trivial

is that true? if thats the case then why havent most businesses automated key areas of their work operations

what key areas? op you sound every inexperienced

key areas like payroll and time check ins and productivity metrics, etc.

The whole problem is that you're thinking of these as "frameworks" that will let you go and write new code. When the reality is that millions of people have already solved the same problems. Just use their solutions. Grafana is an open source project written expressly for data visualization.

The glue languages don't do what you seem to think they do. They bootstrap existing solutions together. They don't write new solutions from scratch.

SQL & Python are a beautiful combination, but what you're asking about is being done like crazy right now. I do fraud data analytics for a major gaming website in NYC, and my linkedin is constantly full of this exact shit. Companies like 'Guardian Analytics' or whatever, trying to shill me their machine learning garbage. I work on a team of fraud analysts and our own querying based on trends and patterns is smarter than any of the UML shills that these companies try to offer. I would still advise learning as much SQL as possible and working for a good tech company that implements modern cloud stack formation with AWS.

awesome, thank you for the advice.

would you mind giving me any more general advice for how i should be progressing my career?

money is my main objective

>key areas like payroll
They have
>time check ins
How do you think this generally works? The real barrier for entry here is hardware, not software.
>productivity metrics
There are thousands of existing solutions to this type of problem. Re-implementing this by hand is a massive disservice to whoever you're doing it for. Now they're tied to your shitty ass unsupported code for decades.

>how i should be progressing my career?
Learn python, ansible or chef, AWS, cloudformation, and jenkins or some shit. Then sell your soul to the devil and become a devops engineer for a big software corporation. It's not hard. I did it without a college degree in about 3 years. Now I make 6 figures.

>SQL & Python are a beautiful combination
Also this user is wrong. If you actually write SQL in python then you're doing it wrong. Use SQLalchemy. Never write actual queries.

its quite the anomaly

I really appreciate your time for this.

do you have any good ideas of projects which will combine knowledge of all of these things together that i could work on and present as part of my portfolio?

or at least for me to draw inspiration from as i were to do work for another company.

thanks again bro

I can hire a University educated American for $25 on Upwork and not have to deal with a retard like you face to face.

Best of luck!

I don't see anything you could do with python + sql that a company couldn't do in house or contract out for cheap, aside from really small businesses.

Instead of selling soul To devil you can make next bitcoin and pre mine it like me.

I'm in a committed and loving relationship but God damn I would not pull out, wouldn't cross my mind

>do you have any good ideas of projects which will combine knowledge of all of these things together that i could work on and present as part of my portfolio?

You should try setting up some simple python projects with distutils packaging, unit testing, travis CI, etc. Just go way overboard. Maybe implement a website using flask or something.

Then sign up for an AWS account, and practice with free tier stuff. Stand up an elastic beanstalk cluster using AWS CLI and cloudformation templates, and deploy your python app from step one.

Work on open source projects. Pick a random python project like ansible that you wouldn't mind contributing to. Your pull requests will get rejected at first, but stick with it and get better until they start getting accepted.

While you're doing this, go work a shitty tech support job. The single most important step is getting your foot in the door. Once you get a single devops-type job, you're set for the rest of your career.

I use jupyter notebook with a magicSQL implementation if im combing them in redshift. Otherwise, I directly query with postgreSQL to redshift. I'm working with a data scientist on an algorithm that combines sql and python in redshift. Idk why that would be wrong. Not sure what you're getting at.

thanks for this

also OP, my advice is to not do freelance. Get a gig with a tech company that can mentor you. That is invaluable learning while you're getting paid.

>I'm working with a data scientist
This is why. Academia is stuck in the past. Use SQLalchemy for a side project and you'll feel silly writing actual SQL queries by hand.

>Get a gig with a tech company that can mentor you

what are the sorts of things i should be getting mentored on?

what are the important lessons that i should be paying attention to the most?

sauce??

>SQLalchemy
not suitable for working on production though, t-sql with microsoft enterprise shit is pretty standard

I looked up SQLalchemy and now im intrigued. I'm going to give it a shot user - but my main argument point was that OP needs to not focus on freelancing or making $ atm, but rather getting a good foothold in a tech company that can mentor him further in these languages and how to apply them in real situations.

get a cs degree and make sure you have your own projects. There's some good advice here: I have some disagreements with him though

>get a CS degree
Just like that. For some people just getting that would take years

>I have some disagreements with him though
please share them!

booty asians are just fucking ridiculous in how perfect they are. you just know there is a delicious purple vagine and anus tucked behind that golden-skinned brapper

i dont have a cs degree but i work in cs. I have a degree in music, which may sound laughable but I attribute my cs knowledge to learning the language of music. I would say that having a friend group/ slack group to ask questions and get better at developing is extremely important. Idk, everyone is different. I would say with the price of what a degree costs at an established univeristy, you're better off putting yourself into a community or job that can teach you first hand.

I need some field reporting stuff done,
Want a web app - I guess it should be simple, but want to print to small mobile printer and update a spreadsheet on a server
Let me know what you might be able to do.
[email protected]

No, you can hire a pajeet pretending to be a University educated American. Even good eastern european devs still fetch $30+/hr on upwork.

easier than you think. I took a bunch of online classes form coursera and never felt confident because who am I comparing myself too right? I went back to college at 33. Did my first java assignment, Prof asked to see me in email. He says : in class you know everything other profs said same thing. He asks about how much I know in java and I tell him everyhting I completed online. Ask me if I am familiar with java spring boot tell him yes.Asks if I know mysql again yes. why are you here then user? He introduces me to the co-op company that partners with my school (sunlife financials) get a job and starting pay at 59k. All I have to do is some weekend seminar company pays for, and I have to shadow a team for a few weeks before I can push my code on my own to git. Literally thought I was shit until norman looked at me funny... Just do it. Recommend Coursera, or udacity coursera if you have time and are smart udacity if you have less time and side projects.