I finally decided go to dentist and removed my wisdom teeth. Maybe it's not /ck related but however...

I finally decided go to dentist and removed my wisdom teeth. Maybe it's not /ck related but however. Pain after surgery is very hard and how long ? What kind of food should I eat first days after removing? Only liquid? Post some tips and tell me about your experience. Start with upper so maybe it's a bit easy.

Other urls found in this thread:

chowhound.com/recipes/roasted-butternut-squash-soup-30466
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

icecream, you cant eat anything with seeds or hard or crunchy. You will have a hole in your mouth that can bleed at any point and if it gets dirty you cant clean it so you are better off with mashed potatos, pudding, jello, yogurth that kind of stuff

The pain is not bad at all. Ice and motrin is all you need. By the second day you probably won't even need the ice any more.

>Eating after wisdom teeth removal
Hah. Goods luck.

Just sip your soup and Gatorade thru a straw

Whatever you do, go easy and be damn sure not to dislodge the clot. Dry socket is awful so stick to ultra soft food/liquid, and no straws or cigarettes or anything else that creates suction and could pull the clot.

Would suggest corn on the colb and roast

Don't inhale/suck anything. If you do, there's a chance you'll get dry socket and that shit fucking sucks

>straw
No

I had all 4 out at once. The pain wasn't that bad, I just took ibuprofen and saved the hydrocodone to get high on later. The first 2 days I had soup and fruit smoothies. After that I ate normal food but I had holes in my lower jaw that I had to clean out with an oral syringe after every time I ate for a month or two.

Had my wisdom teeth removed two weeks ago, and they were fully erupted. I didn't eat and drink the day of surgery, then the second and third day I ate things like: Apple sauce, pudding, mashed potatoes, and mac and cheese. Also, some pain will happen the days rolling because your teeth are shifting, but if you're not rolling on the floor then it isn't dry socket. Just take it easy till the follow-up visit.

I got all 4 wisdom teeth taken out and only took ibuprofen. I was waiting for the pain to hit but it never came. I only drank soup broth for about a week and lost like 10 pounds so that was cool.

I had an infected molar and cold rice pudding was pretty much my staple until it was removed.
I didn't experience any pain after it was removed though.

When I had them taken out all I had was mashed potatoes and meal replacement shakes. I guess you could take a vitamin or something too if you are worried about not getting enough nutrients. The pain was terrible at first but then I got some pain meds and was fine until it all healed up. Didn't get dry socket but I hear it's a bitch.

If it is in the top jaw then you can have little problems. I could eat the same day (spaghetti).
Lower jaw was more problematic, for the first day buy yogurt and soup with bread, soak the bread int he soup while eating and chew on the other side.
Evening meal I only ate a little chopped salad and small fried potato discs. Don't expect to eat hearty meals or those that require lots of chewing such as with meat. During the day eat crackers with stuff.

After day 3 or something proceed to eat as normal just don't chew on that side.

That said, when you go ask for like a plastic syringe with a curved pipe at the end (pic related). Whenever you eat you have to boil some water, add a little cold water to even it to lukewarm. Add salt, put this in the syringe and keep your wound clean!
Food remains will stick to the back of your throat and they will infect your wound. Cleaning it for a couple weeks after every meal will speed up your healing process.

I've had two wisdom teeth removed. One surgically by slicing the gum out of the way first, one just by yanking it.

Didn't have any specifically heavy pain with either one. First day it was noticeable, next day it was the type that you only remembered you had every now and then. Got ibuprofen that I used the first two days. Ate cold rice pudding with milk and cinnamon and protein shakes for the first the day, added warm noodle soups the next day and started eating normal afterwards.

like said the problem isn't with pain or anything, mostly just with having to be careful not to re-open the wound after it has clotted up. So avoiding anything hard on that side of the mouth is important.

If you can, ask the dentist to put stitches on the gum after the removal. I had the yanked out one without stitches and it bled for two-three days making everything taste like iron and I had to have a cup near me where I could spit the blood in my mouth every now and then. The surgically removed one I got stitches on and it stopped bleeding after the first 30 minutes.

I had all 4 removed a few years ago. Mostly ate yogurt, ice cream, overcooked pasta, smoothies -- soft stuff that required little to no chewing.

Also, you can use a straw if you're careful. Don't drink through it like normal. Put it up against the roof of your mouth and put your tongue up against it so that your sucking only puts pressure against the roof of your mouth (there's no way to word this that doesn't sound like a blowjob).

Just got mine removed a week ago, so I'll tell you my advice!

Ice is your best friend, ice your cheeks a lot. Take your meds, of course, and you'll be pretty bloody for the first day. Thankfully, it wasn't as painful as I thought, so hopefully the outcome will be the same for you, but anyway, onto food! And since you'll get only your upper teeth removed, you have it pretty easy.

Here's foods that I liked a lot, ranked from favorite to meh, I'm more a comfort food person over sweets.

>macaroni and cheese
>rice a roni 4 cheese rice cups (or just any cheesy rice, but this certain brand was really easy to swallow in big chunks)
>lemon ice
>jello (a MUST to make before the day of your surgery. Was one of the only few things I could manage to eat on the first day.)
>pudding (the only other thing I could eat) I LOVED banana creme pie flavored pudding with crushed up sterreroid and antibiotic pills
>soup (pretty boring, but make sure not to have many big pieces of food in your soups that can get stuck in your holes)
>ice cream (make sure it doesn't have large chunks in it like cookie dough or brownies, small chunks I didn't have much problems with but they CAN get stuck in your holes)

OP, if you have any questions I'd love to answer!

Ah yeah, I forgot I loved mashed potatoes, and Icees too. And have a plastic cup or something to spit blood in for the first couple days. It helped a lot so I didn't have to get up and run to the sink every 5 minutes to spit up blood.

And don't hurry too fast to go back to eating food. Had a taco on the fourth day, thinking I was fine because I had no pain anymore, then I got a chunk of beef stuck in my hole and it must have damaged the gums or something because that area went back to hurting again for a few days. I was worried it was dry socket, but thankfully it stopped hurting after awhile.

And I guess more about surgery, I hope you're being put to sleep. I enjoyed it a lot. I barely ever felt pain and it was just painful only when time was nearing to take another dose of painkillers.

>tfw getting mine taken out July 8th

That's my birthday :^) Good luck user.

Make sure to monitor your pooping. I had constipation from the antibiotics I was taking, so be weary when you're getting irregular.

Happy birthday since ill forget then. they gave me penicillin and Norco, we'll see how it goes, thanks for the tip

milk and yogurt

Please don't be like me and smoke cigs after your surgery. Dry sockets were an intense pain I have never felt before. So much pain localized in your head... Felt like a fucking gunshot wound or something in the side of my face. Only Percocet helped, and barely

I'm an ICU nurse and wisdom teeth is pretty much the only thing I'm afraid of having a medical issue with myself.
We had a 24-year-old about a month ago who was literally inches from death just from having one of those fucking things removed. Fuck that.

Whatever you don't get put under when they take them out. I had all four done at once & 2 were impacted. Just get novocaine & sweet air. Being somewhat awake you'll know what kind of pain to expect. I was 20-21 at the time an partying pretty hard. I was at the bar drinking beers 4 hours after I had them removed. I even managed to gingerly eat some chicken fingers that night.

General anesthesia is the bomb though. When I had mine out, I dreamt that touch was translated to vision, and the procedure of getting the teeth out was represented by lots of geometric squares and triangles. Funkalicious color palette. Also makes the whole thing go by in a flash.

Then again I've had anesthesia probably 8 times in the past 5 years, so I've learned to enjoy it.

I am in dental school.

As said, don't eat foods will little seeds. Avoid things that are hot and spicy

If you smoke, GIVE IT UP until the extraction site is fully healed. I'm fucking serious. You do not know what pain is until you get dry rot. Once you get it, anesthetic will NOT help.

Don't do anything that creates suction in the mouth. This includes spitting and drinking from a straw.

ask for a monoject 412

I got all four done at once. It's not bad I was a bit achey for a day. Halfway through day two I said fuck it and began eating solids again, taking small bites and chewing with my front teeth. Third day was back to normal.

I got dry socket :(

I didn't do anything to disturb the clots. No hard chewing, smoking, straws, etc. Absolutely nothing. But I still got it.

They had given me some super-tylenol crap that did jack shit. I was in horrendous pain for about 2.5 weeks straight. Got like 2 hours of sleep per night because the pain was unbearable. Imagine an ice pick going right through your jaw and temple. FOR 2.5 WEEKS.

Dentist refused to prescribe stronger pain meds. Was so fucking desperate for relief sometimes that I would bite down on a coffee filter full of ground cloves (which, surprisingly, did more than the pain meds did).

probably tylenol 3 with codeine. Sorry you had to suffer that, bro

how?

Did they completely put the person under and they almost OD'd? Because taking out a tooth isn't a big a deal as people think unless they're really medically compromised.

Haha faggots my superior genes didn't give me wisdom teeth

I wouldn't know, unlike you I'm not a subhuman and have straight teeth.

I'm 27 years old and so far I haven't felt anything from my wisdom teeth. I hope it stays that way.

I just got mine taken out and today's the first day I feel back in regular spirits.

I was probably too protective about it, because it seems like it was much easier to avoid a dry socket than I assumed.

Speaking of draw socket: do not drink through a straw, drink carbonated beverages, and try to avoid coughing, sneezing, or vomiting. If you get dry socket, you will know, the pain is excruciating and won't abate with pain killers. Otherwise, don't worry.
I got lots of canned soup and ice cream beforehand. I did not feel like doing SHIT the first two days so I'm glad I did that. By the third day I felt like, more was desperate, moving around and gaining autonomy and cooking but could barely open my mouth, so I cooked up some recipes that were mushy.

Of what I made me and my partner only really liked this one. To get it mushy you'll need a food processor.

chowhound.com/recipes/roasted-butternut-squash-soup-30466

I would recommend getting lots of drinks too, with nutrients, like V8.

And yogurt, for protein, because most of what I found to make that was of mush consistency had no meat, plus the probiotics will replenish your gut flora after the pre-surgery antibiotic.

Malt o meal was good for breakfast, you can add whatever you want to it.

It took me five days to start venturing with the texture of my food, about a week to start really opening my jaw like I used to and not worry so much about getting food on the side of my mouth the teeth came out of or eating crunchy things.

On day 7 it's all normal, although it's super easy for food to get stuck in my bottom surgery hole. By this point you should be given a syringe to irrigate, I'd do it after every meal.

Good luck! It's really only debilitating that first 2 days, afterwards the improvement in function is day by day and pretty fast, although your lifestyle and genetics may make your recovery take longer, so take my and other's advice with a grain of salt.

I basically ate a bowl of soup on the 2nd day and otherwise slept the whole time I was healing. I think it took about 4 days. Granted I was suffering from anxiety, depression and agoraphobia at the time. Just recently I had two teeth break at the very back top so I had those out. My meals consisted of anything mushy and soup. Actually I sustained myself pretty good for the most of it on those carnation instant breakfast powders that you add to milk. I used homogenized milk to really get the fat content since I would have it in the morning then work 8 hours then come home for another. 2 a day.

To avoid dry socket, make sure a clot forms. You'll have gauze in your mouth when you get sent home, and you may want extra gauze beforehand just in case. I wasn't given extra. When you take the gauze out, make sure that the blood is spotty. It won't stop bleeding, but if it's soaked completely with blood a clot hasn't formed. Move it more accurately to where the surgery was, make sure there's pressure for 30-45 mins.

After the clot forms, take advice from this thread not to dislodge it, or you'll get dry socket. Bleeding is normal for the rest of the first day, and slowly stops incrementally till the third or fourth day, where it's very light at that.

Pain varies. When I had mine out, there was no pain really the first day, second day was worse, then it came and went for five days. At one point I was afraid I'd gotten dry socket, but it was fine.

I only took ibuprofen. They gave me stronger meds but I was afraid of getting addicted. Ibuprofen worked and when it didn't tylenol in addition worked. Don't exceed the minimum dose the bottles advise.

Brushing was hard at first but it got easier. Be as light as you want while making sure you get the area clean, step it up every day until you're comfortable brushing regularly.

Salt rinses (1 cup warm water plus 1/4 tsp salt) should be done however many times you want per day, 2 is good, in addition to any prescribed rinses.

i had a few months of discomfort w/my wisdom teeth in college but they grew in just fine. most wisdom teeth removal is a racket created by the dental industry.

Pineapple milkshake. Eat with spoon.

You'll be craving meat because there's barely anything with meat that's liquidy, or if there is it doesn't really register as meat, like cream of chicken soup. I made sure to buy a can of sardines and holy shit they were a blessing. The chewing was awkward but didn't fuck my mouth up since it was so soft. I think I might have gone crazy without them. King Oscar is a good brand.

>most wisdom teeth removal is a racket created by the dental industry.

That's not true. There's long been a mandate that if wisdom teeth aren't causing complications, they should not be taken out.

This has caused some controversy. The reason is that as you age, your likelihood for complications with wisdom teeth removal increases. Permanent numbness via damage to the lower nerve or post-surgical complications become more and more likely.

And although wisdom teeth might appear normal for a long time, they can lead to decay or harm to adjacent teeth due to cramping as you age - which then, at that point of complication, you're older and more likely to suffer consequences from the removal.

The mandate was actually the racketeering decision, as it lowers the money that routine extractions would remove from the public purse.

I made cod fillet and mashed potato smoothies, loosened up with onion soup after having all four out at once. I could just pour them down my thoat. very filling.

the stomach/bowel pain from the opiod painkillers I was given was worse than the actual pain from the operation.

Dentist recomended that I only take two out at a time so I can eat with my other side. The thing is I have the rare opportunity to stay with my parents so they offered to take care of me after the first extraction.

Should I just get all 4 removed? I'll be awake during the extraction as well.

Oh, sorry user, didn't knew you were a big boy already.

>Don't do anything that creates suction in the mouth

But how else am I supposed to make rent?

I would argue that anyone who doesn't get all 4 at once is a moron.

You'll be incapacitated for a day, groggy for two, and on soft foods for five. After that, you're fine.
Don't suck on straws/other things and you should be fine.

Also definitely don't have them knock you out! You'll end up swallowing blood.... Which will come back up right after you regain conciousness.

i ate a bag of chips within 3 hours of having my wisdom teeth removed. almost no pain, the pain meds they gave me were totally unnecessary but appreciated.

it literally had zero impact on my diet. just make sure you flush out any bullshit that gets down in the hole.

the straw will break the bloodclot and open the wound

worst advice/10

i had the same kind of sering for cleaning my lower jaw had all 4 removed by jew doctor for money but yea nothing hard except for cock lots of seamen make sure it warm so you can transition to your ass easaly with out pain. lots of yougurt smoothings like banna and milk no to lumpy thought otherwise youd had to add semen. make sure u take ur pain meds and o the salty water solution every once in a while to help with the semen smell

My wisdom came out fine 2bh. Crowded my front teeth a bit, but nothing serious.

>swallowing blood
Maybe if you go to a shitty surgeon. I used sedation and had no problems.

Kinda this, got them done a few weeks ago. Was sedated. Not as awful as I thought, though I took a Friday and Monday off, just in case. I needed all of the Norco I got, but by the time I was out, OTC meds were good enough. I had a fat square jaw the whole weekend, even with ice. Third weekend and I'm eating normally, but they had to cut my cheeks, so I can't yawn completely yet without some pain. Almost there.

Second week was the worst, oddly.

>straw
Ammonia-crystal-tier recommendation.

Prepare to eat lots of yogurt and ice cream, and lukewarm soup, too hot and it will fuck up the clots. Pudding was best for me.

Make sure the yogurt and ice cream don't have chunks of anything. Might as well use this chance to try out new stuff, or just buy a giant tub of your favorite. Soda will burn like hell. No making out, either.

So far, it's all worth it. Prepare to do lots of pic related.

Nah, systemic infection following the extraction.
Infections coming from the teeth are the worst.
We had one a respirator for a little over a week IIRC.

>got mine out while put under
>can barely wake up after, don't remember how I got home
>the pain meds made me have terrible migraines and fatigue
>slept literally 3 days, only woke up to piss or eat
>parents brought me pudding, soup, water, and juice in bed
>fourth morning woke up, no pain anymore, stopped taking meds, went back to normal