/Curry General/

Today I'm going to make my first curry from scratch. Which ingredients do you use for curries? I wanted to use ginger, garlic, fresh scorpion chili peppers, a bit of a fresh bell pepper, cumin, coriander, some cayenne and a large red onion. What could i add to make it tastier?

Other urls found in this thread:

foodservicewarehouse.com/blog/indian-curries-guide-region/
syvum.com/cgi/online/serve.cgi/recipes/inc/nrcpc8.tdf?0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

ahh

traditional british cuisine

>scorpion chili

this is bait, right?

That's a pretty tame spice mixture you have.

Basics of a curry.

Fry whole Whole spices 30 sec - Caradmom pods, close, star anise, cinnamon sticks
Onions fry til golden
Add ground spices fry for 30sec -1 min
Meat in and fry for another 30sec - 2 min
Sauce base - tomatoes usually
simmer until meat is cooked
Add coconut milk/cream if you a creamy curry
serve over basmati rice with naan bread
sprinkle garam masala and chopped coriander over plated curry.

I think cumin is a north/central American spice
It's huge in Mexican food. For curry i have always just used the generic curry powder mix you can buy in every store. Proton: coriander and cilantro basically taste the same

thats because coriander is the name given to cilantro in other parts of the world.

It is literally the same plant.

Coriander is ground cilantro seeds, if memory serves

how do i get tandoori chicken in USA help

Here in the UK we have ground coriander seeds and coriander which is the leaf and stem.

Oh yeah, should have thought about the pods and cinnamon sticks. I also wanted to use tomatoes and coconut milk for the sauce - all I'm missing is an actual recipe for the curry base / curry paste.

Give me a minute and i'll post a picture of a recipe you can do at home.

We got the same thing in Denmark. There's a huge difference between the seeds and the leaves.

>I think cumin is a north/central American spice

wat, its native to the middle east and Pakistan which is why its used in lots of their dishes as well as throughout most of the old world, it was brought to the new world by Spanish and Portuguese colonists

What do you personally cook with that stuff? I can't imagine it goes in anything british

Curries.

I use coriander seeds when i'm makign garam masala and use it in a number of other indian dishes.

Got it.

not that user but i cook chicken with coriander Turmeric and Cumin,

I also keep turmeric. Not convinced it actually has a flavor.

not that user but this is great thanks

Turmeric has no actual flavor, it just colours the dish.

For reference double cream is heavy cream.

chat masala see pic related.

I mainly use it for the colouring, it makes the chicken a golden yellow,

I don't suppose you also have a recipe for Butter Chicken?

any chance you could upload that book or give a link to it? I am very curious about it.

Or just a title works too.

Yeah I do, one sec.
Its Rick Steins India - ISBN 978-1-849-90578-7

Appreciate the schooling

Thanks man. I've made curry a few times but I feel like I probably was just making a bad american knock-off.

Here you go.

No problem, the three significant ones from the Americas are allspice, Vanilla and peppers

there are too many variations of curry to specify universal basics

i would probably add a little bit of turmeric to the spice mixture you have in the op but there's enough there to be tasty

you can always chuck in some garam masala at the end or do some tempering if you think its come out a bit bland

has a smoky-earthy undertone. you can really taste it in tomato chicken curry where its the predominant spice + the curry itself is quite dry

My "universal" curry base is pretty simple. Its minced garlic, minced ginger, dice tomato, dice onions, curry leaves, kashmiri chilli powder, garam masala, coriander powder, cumin powder and fenugreek seeds.

Oh and tumeric powder.

i'll just leave this here foodservicewarehouse.com/blog/indian-curries-guide-region/

how do you make an authentic curry? like the kind you get in a restaurant

Thai basil or bay leaf

Ah Rome

The eternal city

I often make a curry with chickpeas, Japanese eggplant, tomato and spinach. Is there anything in there that shouldn't be or anything you think should be added to it? I don't add any cream and use a tomato puree and butter chicken paste as my base. Have onion, ginger, garlic and cilantro in there too. Any tips greatly appreciated! I might have pics if requested.

idk maybe star anise?

If using meat, marinate it for more than 8 hours.

I cannot convey in words how huge of a difference it makes in the end result.

I'm making Japanese curry tonight.
I have normal potato, sweet potato, green beans, frozen spinach and mixed frozen veges.

I will definitely add onion to it. Should I add fresh ginger too? Rice or noodles?
>pic related, only Japanese pic I've got

I like Southeast Asian curry so coconut milk and the curry paste should have the above and some galangal and lemongrass. Shrimp paste/fish sauce to taste.

I like to add fruit at the end, usually banana, mango or pineapple.
But I usually do pretty hot curries with lots of peppers and chillies. Maybe it doesnt fit so well with fish or some veggie curries.

So, I've been trying to perfect my Thai curry over the last year or 2, but no matter what I try, it never compares to this restaurant I go to all the time. Their curry is usually flavorful, spicy, salty, sweet, all of it perfectly blended and strong. My curry tastes like bland water with some spices, and no matter what recipe or tweaks I try, I can't nail it. I've even made my own shrimp paste, but it still comes out nowhere near as good. This goes for both Red and Panang curry. It's not the fish sauce I use, not the Thai basil or lemongrass. What could it be that makes curry pop from a restaurant 5 minutes from my house? Spices? Artificial ingredients like corn syrup or something??

This site contains everything you need to know about Indian food. This is a recipe for Goan chicken curry. You're welcome.
syvum.com/cgi/online/serve.cgi/recipes/inc/nrcpc8.tdf?0

Jap curry needs to start with an assload of onions until they are caramelized to the point of melting.