Literally the first time posting on this board but do you guys have any tips on how to make the perfect coffee?

literally the first time posting on this board but do you guys have any tips on how to make the perfect coffee?

A good water-beans-brewing time ratio.

Tastes vary, so you're going to many examples of "the best" coffee, but there are a few things that should help you get by.

1) Find fresh beans and don't buy more than you need so they don't get stale (explore roasts and find one you like, they'll result in different flavors)
2) Grind your beans just before you make your coffee.
4) Pay attention to your bean/water ratios and the time your grinds spend in contact with the water (look it up)
5) Plenty of people advocate black, but tons drink it with cream and sugar. Find your preference, but making your coffee a vehicle for sugar and fat isn't a great choice.

Temp too

thanks senpai, haven't actually had coffee with freshly grinded beans before but i'll try it tomorrow, i only drink black at work but i usually put milk in mine when im at home, barely any though

my friend mentioned something about goat milk being really good in coffee which i've yet to try yet

I put 6.5 ish table spoons of ground coffee beans in the little metal mesh filter, put it in my Mr. Coffee brand coffee maker, then add 8 fluid cups of tap water.

Serve hot.

Serves 1-2

drink tea instead

i used to drink a lot of green tea before but coffee is infinitely better

pic related is god tier though

grind beans before you brew etc. like the other posters said, but also be sure to regularly clean whatever you use to make coffee, whether it's a press, drip machine, etc. This makes a big difference. Scrub it down well once a week or more.

>buy a scale to use correct water to grind ratio
>buy good beans
>make sure water is at 85-95ÂșC
>play with infusion time to taste

This is a good chart, also tempurature is impirtant

this is cool thank you, is 85 - 95C the optimal temperature then?

Over extraction and under extraction are what make coffee taste like shit.

so basically if you use too much coffee and not enough water it tastes like you're drinking hot sweat and the opposite leaves you with colored water

Wait for the water to boil violently. Then remove it from the heat and wait 10-15 seconds for the water to as not to burn the beans and create an unpleasant taste.

>too much coffee and not enough water

Yes.

Water and "dose," along with heat, are variables that you need to fuck around with.

Don't pay much attention to the vague buzzwords in the compass posted by Just take the green part to mean "tastes good," while the outside is "shit."

Simplest brew method is a french press imo, because you brew with a longer steep time theres lesser chances of messing it up.

- Water at 92degs C.
- Grounds to water ratio at 1:15 to 1:17 depending on the bean.
- Coarse grind.
- 6-8 mins steep time

I usually start at 1:15 ratio at a coarse grind. Go too fine and the wire mesh cant filter it as well. Then i'll control the taste by adjusting the steep time. But i dont go pass 6 or 8 mins because the coffee cools too much pass 8mins, and less than 6 on a coarse grind is usually under extracted. If it tastes too strong at 6 mins, increase the grounds to water ratio. Vice versa.

>- Water at 92degs C.
>- Grounds to water ratio at 1:15 to 1:17 depending on the bean.
>- Coarse grind.
>- 6-8 mins steep time
finna try this, thanks user

Seriously, what is the point of using 1:17 ratio? Tried it 3 times and to the trash it went. I use minimum 1:10 ratio, if you want less than it jut sticky with tea.

Probably because they're justing going to load it up with sugar and cream anyways. Less beans for them to waste, I guess.

no. Most household jugs deactivate around 93 or 94 degrees. By the time you've picked up the jug and are ready to pour it into your plunger, it is at a perfect 91 degrees.

How do I know this? I used an Infrared thermometer to check

how do you guys feel about starbucks and coffee shops in general? disregarding the demographic are they shit or alright

>Infrared thermometer to check
to check the temperature of water? you might as well just guess

Starbucks is an unfortunate but important part of history. Coffee shops in general are the best place to buy coffee if you're away from home or in a hurry.

Werks every time

>how do you guys feel about starbucks

They over roast their beans to keep flavor consistent.

They wouldn't be that bad if their beans were not already three months stale while they're on shelves.

This using sweet maria's method.

I checked it once to see what temperature my jug stopped boiling at. Turns out I can pour it straight away and it will be the exact 91 /92 degrees I want.

Each jug will probably be different, I just wanted to test mine. I used to wait 10 - 15 seconds before pouring, now I know I dont have to. It cools down very quickly once it stops boiling. You lose about a degree per second, so If you wait 10 seconds, you're looking at pouring 80-ish degree water, which aint good.

Hotter is better if your coffee is good. Typically brewing devices will drop around 5C or more just from pouring the water in. So starting at 95 will give you 90c in the brewer (probably more like 87) So you want to start at like 97 to get a decent brewing temp.

used my french press for the first time, it was alright but tasted a bit watery and sour does that mean i have to grind the beans better and use less water to get a more rich taste?

Yes, or use more grounds and adjust brewing time

This might be a bad thread for this question but I couldn't find a baking thread.

Tomorrow I'm gonna be making brownies, and the recipe calls for a teaspoon of instant coffee, which I forgot to buy. I do, however, have an espresso machine. Is there any reason why I can't sub that into the recipe, and if so how much should I use?

it should work, it'll taste stronger though

this

however, there are plenty of perfectly good coffee shops/cafes. at least on the west coast. just depends on how you like your coffee

swapping them shouldn't affect anything but the flavor profile, because the coffee doesn't have anything to do with the cooking process. i would use a little less than the recipe calls for though, because as pointed out, espresso will be stronger

alright senpaitachi op here, this is how i've been doing it

>grind down one scoop of beans (4 cups)
>strength setting goes up to 17 and i'll have it on 9 for a finer grind
>dump the grind into my press
>immediately pour roughly 800ml of boiling water into my french press
>wait for 2 - 3 minutes before pressing it
>done

am i doing it right?

Really... I do not remember how to make coffee... Cuz in Venezuela we don' t have coffee anymore. :(

what do you drink instead

gasoline

Don't ask me, I drink maxwell house and even drink day old coffee that I just throw in the microwave. I also add creamer and tons of sugar.

Put in a decent amount of milk, cream and sugar.

>literally the first time posting on this board but do you guys have any tips on how to make the perfect coffee?

You are kidding, right?

What kind of coffee? Italian? Latino? Turkish? Greek? French?

There are so many ways to brew coffee that you are gonna have to narrow it down a little bit if you want help.

Or try google; that too.

Coffee is disgusting, only proles drink coffee. Tea is the patrician drink.

Suppose we current buy pre-ground beans from the supermarket to use with out Mr Coffee machine.

If we got a good grinder and switched to buying whole beans from the supermarkets, and grinding them at home before use in our Mr Coffee machine, would we actually notice a difference?

Maybe... Just buy good shit and keep it dry and fresh and you should get most of the benefits.

I used to think buttered coffee was some faggotty euro shit until I tried it...

Now I pretty much drink only buttered coffee.

I cold brew mid-tier beans and just mix some of the resulting concentrate with boiling water when I want coffee.

No acid, no bitterness, convenient, and yet hipster enough to make me want to kill myself.

it was just a general question to spark discussion

1) Technique
2) Equipment
3) Coffee

In that order. Good beans are wasted with shit equipment and technique. Good beans and equipment are wasted if you don't know how to use them. Pick a simple method like pour over or Aeropress and work on that first.

18g grounds per 500ml water, heat to stinging hot, but not boiling.
Dump water in grounds, swish it around a bit, wait 3 minutes.

If your coffee grounds has a pleasant smell, they're not stale.
If there's brown foam when you pour the water, they're not stale.
Don't fall for the home grinding and hipster roaster meme.

I've seen various coffee recipes use steamed milk and some use scalding milk. Is there a major taste difference between the two?

No it's all hipster shit.

It's just asking for heated milk.

I've got the beans and equipment (french press) but I'm working on my technique, I've only done it three times so far