Do you think they were right?

Do you think they were right?

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/2016/05/why-no-unbleached-cake-flour.html
seriouseats.com/2016/03/organic-powdered-sugar-versus-conventional-baking-cornstarch-tapioca.html
seriouseats.com/2014/09/why-you-should-refrigerate-tomatoes.html
youtube.com/watch?v=9uR66pEeQ-o
youtube.com/watch?v=u6TFP_r2oA8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

They couldn't help but at least mention Chick-fil-A's "politics". I expect nothing less from liberal trash. God I hate that website. Second largest circlejerk outside of le rebbit.

i don't know what site this is from but I'm confused why you would go out of your way to read articles on a site that you already assume to be a circlejerk

Maybe.

The most controversial things I've seen from them are one of their writers' stance on bleached flour being superior (not that I care as a 100% Whole Wheat-fag):
seriouseats.com/2016/05/why-no-unbleached-cake-flour.html

The same writer is convinced that organic (no-cornstarch added) confectioner's sugar makes a smoother frosting or uncooked dessert:
seriouseats.com/2016/03/organic-powdered-sugar-versus-conventional-baking-cornstarch-tapioca.html
Can anyone actually comment on this?

Also Kenji is convinced that refrigerating tomatoes does nothing to their taste and texture of which I VIOLENTLY disagree even though I do it anyway becaus they rot too fast otherwise and are expensive:
seriouseats.com/2014/09/why-you-should-refrigerate-tomatoes.html

Their recipes are generally reliable and good. I've made their recipes for hassleback potatoes, chocolate chip cookies, and broccoli soup before and they all turned out well.

They should be mocked for it at every opportunity.

I like Serious Eats, even if the occasional article is dumb. No other cooking site has the cancer that is 'go 'za or the Jackposting faggots though.

>I'm confused why you would go out of your way to read articles on a site that you already assume to be a circlejerk
Because OP asked about the article, and I hadn't read it yet.

I really like chicken sandwiches which one is the best?

Are they really acting like Chicken Littles are a full sized sandwich?

Ive used tapioca-based confectioners sugar in frosting before and it did taste noticeably smoother. She does seem rigorous in her testing and she's got good credentials for what it's worth, so it appears like a fair judgement to me

I wonder if you guys know about this guy. He has like 6 years of video activity on youtube. Awesome piece of work, yet no one knows about him.
youtube.com/watch?v=9uR66pEeQ-o

His channel is called Frankie cooks.

dammit, wrong thread. I'm sorry

They sure we're right

>Do you think they were right?
John Edwards not a classically trained journalist traveler or foodie or even a professional chef. He's a personal trainer with a liberal arts degree.
He regularly writes articles disguised as impartial but were actually gifted by corporate for the free "good review." He might as well be a Diners, Dives reviewer talking about the amazing technique of the shit slinger making chili the way his father made it with ketchup.
In another article, he said:
"*Thanks to Cheesecake F corporate for going along with our harebrained scheme and supplying more cheesecake than we could eat comfortably."
Guess what it was all glorious praise, when anyone with a brain will tell you their cakes have gotten waxier/greasier and of lesser quality in the past decade.
Take it with a grain of salt when you see his shit descriptive skills "in our opinion mcchick took it"...Why? No clue. Throwing out unexpressed opinions is his schtick.

Serious Eats is a great website, some of the writers (like aforementioned Kenji) invest weeks of doing actual research to improve cooking methods if even slightly. I'll refer you for example to his Tonkotsu Ramen broth or his Ragout Bolognese. Both are fantastic recipes.

There are contributors on that website I do not care for at all, but no one is forcing me to read every article there is.

Now, as for the tomatoes though.. Kenji is plain wrong. Putting tomatoes in the freezer is a crime and should be persecuted. It is almost as bad as putting avocado in the fridge. Don't ever do it.

The only exception is if you are making (or made) salsa with said tomatoes, or if using them in a sauce et cetera. If you're using them raw then don't.

what thread were you posting this in? thanks for the channel!

it's funny, I've been reading Serious Eats for years now and have never read any of these fast food articles. no wonder I never realized they were sponsored.

if you don't care about literal garbage food and are only there for the actual recipes and food "science" related articles the website is totally fine.

>saying anything remotely favorable about kenji
You must be new here. Veeky Forums hates him because he has a confusingly mixed racial name and no one could possibly have a name like that, if you don't look talk eat drink live think or act exactly like me and all my 240 pound 5'11 doughy caucasian beer gut friends who live off tater tot pizza and craft beer, you do not belong in the mass media, let alone America

In Canada, I have never had Popeyes chicken. But among KFC, McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, A&W I would go this way:

KFC >
Wendy's >
A&W >
McDonald's >
Burger King.

What a shitty post. I hope you think about this post before bed and feel ashamed.

They are dead fucking wrong, Chick-fil-A is the best chicken sandwich. Plump and juicy chicken with crispy breading, fluffy bun, maybe the pickles if you like em... I mean they fuckin' invented the thing, or at least claim to have invented it. Plus, a Chick-fil-A in a decent neighborhood is usually staffed by good, respectable people who actually take pride in their work, not nearly the proportion of straight ghetto trash you see working at a Popeye's or KFC, and I am not talking about race here, so inb4 triggered.

Watch this video behind the scenes at Chick-fil-A, they actually have cooks up in there. Even though it's a silly premise you get to see the quality of the food.

youtube.com/watch?v=u6TFP_r2oA8

Actually I can say unfavorable things about Kenji because I fucking bought and read his book. Most of the good research is copped straight from greats like Blumenthal and McGee. A lot of his stuff is unscientific, subjective, and covered up with flowery language. He still succumbs to typical cooking myths and fails to maximize technique. For example, his roast chicken is far behind the times. His recipe is basically, "hey, spatchcock the chicken and cook it at this temperature for this long, works for me!" no precision there.

>the McChicken took it

Really? Out of all the chicken sandwiches I've had, McDonald's is probably my least favorite.

>Actually I can say unfavorable things about Kenji because I fucking bought and read his book. Most of the good research is copped straight from greats like Blumenthal and McGee. A lot of his stuff is unscientific, subjective, and covered up with flowery language. He still succumbs to typical cooking myths and fails to maximize technique. For example, his roast chicken is far behind the times. His recipe is basically, "hey, spatchcock the chicken and cook it at this temperature for this long, works for me!" no precision there.

thank you for mentioning this, I for one was not aware.

what do you think of the quality of the articles I mentioned here:

Why would anyone ever get a chicken sandwich over a burger?

When you get old enough to escape from your parents' control field, and you can eat anything you want every day, you'll find that hamburgers every day gets boring. Steak too.

>bolognese
Well, I can say off the top that the gelatin is unnecessary-- it's pretty easy to make chicken stock that goes into a hard gelatin. He copped the fish sauce from Heston. He adds the sage too soon, kills the freshness. 300 degrees fahrenheit is a debatable temperature for braising. Anyway, there is no doubt that this recipe works, it just seems like he is a home cook who is trying to be sciency but just can't go all the way with it.

>tonkotsu ramen
David Chang is the ramen guy, and Kenji's recipe is similar in pretty key ways. First, Kenji's broth gets chicken (Chang adds a whole chicken) and pork fatback (so close to Chang's bacon, but different enough to avoid scandal). Then, Kenji adds a "mayu", painfully similar function to Chang's "tare".

Here is what I'm talking about with Kenji's writing style:

>Like rolling in the snow naked right next to a hot tub or moving out to the West Coast (even temporarily), burnt garlic oil is one of those things that seems like an inherently bad idea. That is, until you actually try it. For those of you who like to mix raw garlic into their ramen, I'd suggest giving the mayu a shot. I guarantee that once you go black, you'll never go back.

Seriously, what the fuck.

I can't hate on the guy for trying, and I'm sure his food tastes good, but I'll be damned if the guy is riding coattails hard. The fact that he can't write a paragraph without injecting that cutesy, flowery language really puts me off too. Maybe some people really like it, and that's fine by me, but whoever was saying that you're a racist fat caucasian blahblah if you don't like Kenji is totally full of shit.

Every once in a while a simple chicken sandwich sounds better than a burg
That's usually what I opt for at fast good places, aside from those absurdly cheap nuggets at bk

Food@

>putting literal bible quotes on all your shit
>not embarrassing as fuck
alright senpai

in-n-out cups have John 3:16 written on the bottom of them.

>In our opionion the McChicken took it
FOR ME

just as dumb

>Well, I can say off the top that the gelatin is unnecessary-- it's pretty easy to make chicken stock that goes into a hard gelatin.

I leave that part out, too

>He copped the fish sauce from Heston.

are you for real? what a cunt, I genuinely thought that was his idea.

>He adds the sage too soon, kills the freshness.

I never add my herbs until minutes before finishing personally.

>David Chang is the ramen guy, and Kenji's recipe is similar in pretty key ways. First, Kenji's broth gets chicken (Chang adds a whole chicken) and pork fatback (so close to Chang's bacon, but different enough to avoid scandal). Then, Kenji adds a "mayu", painfully similar function to Chang's "tare".

can you point me to Chang's recipe? I'd love to try that out.

>Here is what I'm talking about with Kenji's writing style:

you don't have to tell me... and what the fuck is up with the Star Wars comparisons? seriously? like he was some kind of 16 year old redditor.

>The fact that he can't write a paragraph without injecting that cutesy, flowery language really puts me off too

I honestly don't even read recipes in that way anymore, I skim them like I would skim a scientific paper.

thanks for the elaborate reply!

fair enough, but does this make an double cheeseburger or a chicken sandwich inedible? no.

no but it makes me likely to seek out another, less pretentious business

McChicken is only good for being the least terrible option on the dollar menu.

ok, have fun. double doubles and chick-fil-a sandwiches are really good though.

>can you point me to Chang's recipe? I'd love to try that out.

Yeah, here.

(1/2)

Thanks for the input I'll try switching out next time, thanks.

(2/2)

i will
[spoiler]i live in A FUCKING LEAFland and we don't even have in-n-out or dicks-for-gays anyway

You should buy David Chang's Momofuku by the way, it's a really good book.

hey man, you're the best!

I've cooked some of Chang's dishes, I especially enjoy the ssäm-sauce.

I used it for deep-fried, battered cauliflower and it was absolutely delicious.

no Wendy's and Culver's are the best

For me, it is the McChicken, the best fast food sandwich

1. Checkers
2. Hardees
3. Wendy's

But they were right, McChicken is best pre-formed patty.

They're right but the Popeye's chicken sandwiches are kind of a ripoff, since you can get 3 tendies (vs. only 2 in the sandwich), with a biscuit and a side for less than the sandwich alone. And really, if a chicken joint does actual fried chicken, I'm not going to waste my time with tendies and chicken sandwiches.

t. cuck sjw crybully