Peruvian Food

What are your thoughts on Peruvian food?

chicken and ribs are great (due to chinese herbs and spices)

everything else is just local sourced distinct food

I wish to try all 3800 varieties of potato.

overrated as fuck

How so?

I' m half Peruvian, so I dig it. I make the Peruvian rice all the time. Which is basically just white rice with a lot of garlic, and Bisteak, which they season just with salt and great. You have to tenderize the meat, so I just slam the garlic clove with the mallet, and then pound it into the meat. I love papas huancienas, especially since my grandma is form there, but I haven't tried to make it yet. My aunt makes the cactus salad, but she married a Mexican, so that might be Mexican, but I like it a lot. They used to always make these potato dumplings with beef fillings back in the day, those were yum. I've never tried Peruvian Ceviche, though.

hey man im half peruvian too, and you need to try peruvian ceviche, its god tier flavors

el peruANO inventado pendejadas para quedar bien

I really really wanna try guinea pig. Fire roasted with crispy skin.

Yes
You there, tell us about cuy

cuy is a guinea pig which is usally butterflied and then pressed down onto a grill with heavy rocks atleast how my family does it. its taste is a bit similar to a dark meat from a turkey but with that gamey barnyard type of taste and depending on where you get them from, one is enough to fill you up.

Pretty good, I get fed by Peruvians all the time in dota.

Not them, but when I first got a place here in my area, there was an Ecuadorian restaurant that got picketed for serving cuy. Shame they took it from the menu before I got the chance to try it.

I hear it tastes like a cross between pigeon/squab and rabbit.

The restaurant is still open and still run by the same family, only now they serve Ecuadorian-style Italian food only and not Ecuadorian cuisine in its own right.

I'm sure you can find a British thread in the catalog

Man sorry to hear that you didn't get to try cuy. But do you have a favorite food from Peru?

I've been to Peru, allow me to explain how the Peruvian food meme works:

>Tiny irrelevant nation that is known for not much at all collectively decides they're "foodies"
>They go everywhere telling people their food is amazing
>Most people are polite and are interested in this food they've never heard of
>Sometimes they try it, oh, seems it's not really that great but they figure maybe, like it is with Mexican food, Peruvian food is not the same at all outside the country and shouldn't be evaluated on a shitty version tasted abroad
>Except unlike Mexico getting to Peru is kind of an actual pain in the ass so there is no way to verify it
>Oh well guess I'll never know but hey, they're probably not lying, why would they lie? I bet it's real good

So let me clear things up as I've been. Reality is it's ok food, but Peruvians need to chill the fuck out, they're like the WIDF of South America. If you don't agree that oily lightly salted rice topped with french fries and pickled onions, or stir fried beef that tastes like it came from Wo Hop, is THE BEST THING IN THE UNIVERSE, it means you hate Peru, are a member of Sendero Luminoso and/or possibly an agent of Sixto Durán Ballén, you are actively plotting to destroy Peruvian cuisine and all that it stands for, and in any case you have obviously never set foot there.

its pretty good user

I've only had Peruvian Chinese food and not Peruvian cuisine proper. Unless Peruvian cuisine is similar to Bolivian, I've never had it.
As for Bolivian stuff, I went to high school in the US and had a friend who was Bolivian. I've tried a bunch of things, but the one that sticks with me most of all are these cinnamon-raisin tamale-like things he had me try once.

Rather than the smooth tamale filling I knew already, these were chunky with corn, which was unexpected.
Pretty good. Do they eat anything similar in Peru?
I assume that, like my country, restaurant food and home cooking are two entirely different things and what's cooked/eaten at home is wholly unlike what restaurants will sell at you, so I assume the Bolivian stuff I've had, if it's at all like Peruvian stuff, might not be found in restaurants.

There are some similarities in the regional ingredients such as quinoa and yuca, however there dishes are very different, especially in Peru. Peru has several cilmates and many regions that produce different types of dishes. Like most countries the cuisine varies depending on where you are. btw which country are you from dude?

Ceviche is great, that's about it.

nice one

>serve cuy
>get picketed
>serve Ecuadorian-Italian

Damn shame. I gotta ask, though, what's Ecuadorian-style Italian like?

Italy.

Delicious as hell, but I went only once.

We shared an antipasto of these croquette-like balls of provola and cooked ham that were served in a porcini-and-shallot pan sauce. The whole preparation seemed very northern Italian to me and tasted like home.

My ex ordered something very similar to boscaiola con panna, a dish of pasta with cooked ham, onion, mushrooms and peas dressed with Italian-style cultured cream. The difference was that theirs was called 'pennette caruso' and had tomato paste added, making it pink rather than white. The paste might have been for thickening purposes because Italian cultured cream is difficult to find in the US. Like the croquettes, this was also delicious.

My favourite dish, though, was what I ordered: "fetuchine" (loved the misspelling the first time I ordered it) with goat ragù, though the menu incorrectly stated that the dish was lamb ragù in the English description, the name was 'ragù di capra.' That means goat, not lamb. And it tasted distinctly goat-y.
The fettuccine wound up being fresh pappardelle, actually, which made it better. They served it with the waiter offering to grate a very strongly-flavoured hard cheese I couldn't identify on top.

Then we had green salad with standard vinaigrette.

For dessert, we had housemade sorbet served in a half of the hollowed-out fruit it was originally made from. I had lemon. The ex had blood orange. The blood orange was way better, but both were pretty great.
Then coffee and biscuits after.

My single experience was a solid 9/10. The only downsides were the aftermeal coffee, which was a tad weak for my tastes and that the waiter was a gay Australian dude who was ogling me a bit too much for comfort.

What's special about it?

I've been to Peru and can say with confidence their food is shit. So much oil and salt on everything I thought I was in Britain.

Tastes like chicken and you can find them in the streets.

Pigeons are ok

I don't like raw frogs in my smoothies

What happened to you in Peru, user? You get mugged? Stabbed? Beat up?

It happens to the best of us. Don't let it get to you.

if you like ceviche then I recommend tiradito

I actually had a really good time. Really nice people, beautiful scenery

But Peruvian food will never be better than just ok

It's not bad

tricolor tiradito is fucking amazing

Cuy is the shit.

from wiki: Peruvians consume an estimated 65 million guinea pigs (cuy) each year, and the animal is so entrenched in the culture that one famous painting of the Last Supper in the main cathedral in Cusco shows Christ and the 12 disciples dining on guinea pig

Ceviche is amazing everything else. Meh. And why frenchfries in everything?

>WIDF

>And why frenchfries in everything?
Because potable or clean water is not widely available so the fastest and safest way to cook The potatoes is by deep frying them. Sad but true.

Not true, boiling is effective and cheap
But not as tasty

You don't even need oil to make french fries. You can literally be out in the dessert and still deep fry anything provided you have lard to render and a heat source.

If you don't have clean water, deep frying is your best option, unless you don't mind eating potatoes boiled in brown water.

this

This to be quite honest with you sampei.

this

I would fucking gas every peruvian if I had a chance based on my interactions with them in Dota 2.

That being said I'd at least want one of them to make me a traditional dish before they die.

who /lomo saltado/ here?

even in peru they fuck this dish up regularly, but when made correctly it's great.

lomo saltado is a 10/10 when done right. Too bad its usually a 5/10 most times I've had it .

>I would fucking gas every peruvian if I had a chance based on my interactions with them in Dota 2.
I know that feel all too well