User on /g/ wants to create pokemon on blockchain and fund it via ingame cryptocurrency

user on /g/ wants to create pokemon on blockchain and fund it via ingame cryptocurrency.

What does Veeky Forums think?

it would be incredibly slow for no benefit beyond being "neat"

Is this basically what that crypto-cat bullshit game and crypto-pony bullshit game are trying to do? Who the fuck wants to play a game with RMT built into the god damn gameplay, the only way I can see cryptos being integrated into an online game like this in an interesting way is in an MMO and as a genre MMO's aren't nearly as popular as they once were.

it's called etheremon

An mmo with a currency system built on the blockchain would be killer
Transfer between servers, safe and trust less transactions with gold sellers or easier to track down chink gold sellers to ban them depending if devs will do their own rwt

LMAO BLOCKCHAIN DUDE!!

Pointless.

>What does Veeky Forums think?
Nice idea, but one large flaw I see is who would mine it?

Would the game client itself mine transactions killing the battery life of the device?

>Who the fuck wants to play a game with RMT built into the god damn gameplay
Pretty sure that Eve online has RMT. Not in the gameplay sure but ISK has a dollar value both ways.

They could just use NANO for instant free and mineless transactions. Same with the MMORPG games. Easily translate to real world value too.

fucking great idea. let's just put /g/ in charge of the whole fuckin economy why don't you. if mongs are gonna pay actual cash money for shit like etherwaifus dot co you can get away with anything in this fucked up world

First thing that comes to mind is that Ethermon already exists. Second - If he's going to make an actual game, it can't resemble Pokemon too much or Nintendo's going to butt in, they're very active when it comes to fucking over fan projects, especially if they involve money in any way. Last, he'd need to summon some /vp/ autists to design a game that's playable, balanced and close enough to originals. Then there's actual not-pokemon design and bunch of other kinks to work out, so it doesn't end up in the trash can.

I'd say competitive pokemon on top of a mmo on top of crypto has crazy potential but you're playing with fire.

I'm in for a mmo type pokemon

/thread

U r too late
You can still go for mtg

Have never played EVE so correct me if I'm wrong but you don't actually have to use real world currency in EVE if you don't want to (other than for your sub fee) right? My understanding of it was that there's some currency in the game that can be sold IRL for real world currency just like people used to sell WoW gold or even entire WoW accounts. Runescape I never got into but again, the same concept existed in that game's economy as well I think, sell the in game gold to people IRL for actual fiat currency.

I've actually kind've talked myself into it now.

What if someone just made yet another WoW-clone, since that's all MMOs now a days boil down to, and then set up the in game currency as an ERC20 token so that it could be easily traded for ETH...

Op did you make the thread on/g/ ? How can I reach you? I might be interested in helping you get the ball rolling.

A game LIKE pokemon is not pokemon. No one wants to play a cheap pokemon knockoff.

If all your pokemany and their stats were stored on the blockchain it could prevent cheating

True, all I need is my ref link and I'll get people in

Tell that to Yokai Watch and their million-dollar ripoff

What the fuck is wrong with nano holders? Shut the fuck up

The problem with crypto games that they all run on profits from users and there's no way to balance the markets without making the game pay to win. When you go pay to win you get a large amount of profit at once and then the userbase drops dramatically. Traditional MMOs were more about how much time you invested in the game for the worth of your inventory, which is why there used to be sweatshops full of chinks doing nothing but farming WoW gold all day.

When you have real world assets for trade (or crypto valued in fiat) in the game world, it gives too much favor to whales who just buy up everything and rape the prices until its impossible to make money.

Another issue is that the blockchain itself is meant to only handle financial transactions which don't have as much data as a game. Decentralized games would have trouble running without dedicated servers, but what that could lead to is mining that pays out people for hosting nodes that help run the game.

What I think would be cool would be a game that's like Pokemon Showdown where you can build up any team you want and then wager money on battles, without having to actually pay money to play the game. That would be the most effective use of the blockchain.

>What I think would be cool would be a game that's like Pokemon Showdown where you can build up any team you want and then wager money on battles, without having to actually pay money to play the game. That would be the most effective use of the blockchain.

Then the money would be made off wagers? Could be a very cool idea

lol yes. please do reach out! [email protected]

good points, thank you. I've actually given the pay to win issue quite a bit of thought because I'm a big believer in a players skill having to be reflected in his superior experience and decisionmaking rather than superior ingame items or better stats due to rng or more time spent. so while a small payment to create a character seems necessary (to prevent abuse and bloat) preventing the game from being p2w would be crucial. so there will have to be another system than pokemons being levelled into lvl 999 and then their owners being unstoppable killing machines. but i have a few ideas.

already exists, called pokemmo, highly recommend

>noone wants to play a pokemon knockoff
as a pokemon retard i can assure you i waste a lot of my time doing jsut that.
pokemon go is a pokemon knockoff, and it basically had no gameplay elements of the original pokemon out side of catching some pokemon.

>pokemmo
it’s shit

really? i fucking love taht shit, but im too autistic to know shit from gold so?

You do realise that online games earn billions of dollars a year purely on cosmetic things like changing your characters hair. Then there are other things like people selling good gear for thousands of dollars, 2x exp or droprate etc