How to perfectly cook rice without rice cooker?

Made orange beef for my housemates, and they fucking loved it. Didn't have a rice cooker yet so I just looked up how to cook it with a pot. I've never done rice without a cooker before, so this was a new thing to me. It turned out fluffy on top, but really dry around the sides and bottom lightly burned.

>Soak with 2in of water over rice for 20 minutes
>Drain, then place 1:1 ratio of water rice
>Raise to boil then cover, then on low heat for 15 minutes

I just followed the recipe. They said the rice was fine, beef was fantastic. But I couldn't make myself eat the rice. It was too underdone and dry.

Anyone gotta surefire way to cook it until we get a rice cooker (Gonna pitch in next week for a good one), also rice cooker suggestions?

1:1 ratio rice/water
bring to a boil, reduce heat to low
place washcloth over top of pot, cover w/ lid
simmer 10 minutes
remove from heat, fluff, enjoy

>Not intentionally burning the bottom so you have a bonus snack

Wash rice
Put in how much rice you want
Put in double that amount of water
Boil till water done

1 cup rice to 2 cups water

Works for me and many people have eaten my rice. That is just the basics but I usually add stuff after

Understand that you don't really cook rice. You can leave it in a pot of warm water for 8 hours and get the same result. It's all about absorption

>1 part rice 2 part water

>don't bother boiling water first just put that shit in a pan with a lid

>bring to boil, reduce to simmer, then start timer for 10 minutes

>NEVER remove the lid in the interim.

>KEEP THE LID ON

>YOU REMOVED THE LID FAGGOT ALL THE MAGIC IS LEAKING OUT.

>when timer goes off, turn off stove and let the rice sit (WITH THE LID ON) for another 10 minutes

perfect rice.

I hate when you cook food and it turns out bad and everyone still compliments it

No they told me it was dry but they didn't give a fuck. They said the beef was excellent though. I told them to openly criticize me as I won't get any better anyways, and they agreed when I said the rice was underdone, but "I don't give a fuck, rice is rice to me, user."

Is that served on a piece of printer paper

For the amount of water, I always heard it as being 'enough to cover the rice' as opposed to a ratio amount

i use exactly this technique, it's perfect. i would rinse the rice first though

You did fine, a thicker pan distributes the heat better so you don't get burnt edges, but the dried on layer is desirable anyway. We have factories making it now because modern rice cookers don't produce enough. You can the whole thing upside down (with the lid on!) and leave it for a few minutes after cooking is finished to reduce sticking, but otherwise you can chill.

Rinse the rice to get rid of excess starch before boiling.

1 to 1 rice to water for medium and long grain rice. Add a little bit more water if you're using short grain. Like maybe 1/8 cup more for every cup of rice, if that. Depends on the rice.

Bring to a rolling boil over med heat. Give it a stir once or twice while its heating up. Once it's rolling cover and kill the heat immediately. Leave covered for 15-20 mins. Move to wood bowl, fluff and serve.

>sliced oranges next to meat and rice

never do this again

Tasted good to me

You obviously don't know what good food taste like

>Something I don't like
>Obviously the wrong choice

I made Orange Chicken before, you mind sharing your Orange Beef recipe?

There is no real recipe. People who cook it all the time have figured out some magic formula and ratio that works for the pan, stove and type of heat they typically cook it in. Pans have different thicknesses, tighter or leaky lids, or stoves that stay warm when down on simmer. Figure out your exact ratio through trial and error. Too dry? Not enough water. Too moist? Maybe heat wasn't long enough or warm enough, or you lifted the lid and let the steam out.

My new 2qt pan gifted to me has a little hole WTF? in the glass lid, spits starchy water for about 15 minutes. Do not use this kind of pan. You want a nice tight lid whereby foam and steam recirculates back into the pan without loss. I have to compensate with more water, and lots of cleanup til I chuck it. For jasmine rice in this pan I use 2:1 ratio of water to rice. This is for a glass top range. When I use a coil stovetop, I can count on carryover cooking to stay warm longer, and 1.75:1 ratio. Find your sweet spot.

I bring to boil, scrape up kernels off bottom, replace lid, reduce to simmer 20 minutes. Set timer. Turn off burner for additional 10 minutes of steaming before you lift lid and fluff. No, I don't rinse off the vitamins 9 times out of 10 purposes, and I typically buy texmati brands or caribbean ones, not asian ones, because I don't want arsenic or PCPs in my rice.

yea but how bout don't fucking arrange it like you're a fucking Michelin chef

I use 2:3 rice:water and I make sure to rinse the rice first. 1:2 ratio for brown rice.

>stirring your rice

fix your shit, user.

get some real problems in your life so you don't have to complain about trivial shit like this on the internet.

>not owning a rice cooker
>being a pleb

Pick two

hey, fuck you and fuck your gay-ass fucking oranges, dickwad

1 cup rice, 2 cups water
Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer
When the water is boiled away, turn off the heat and let stand covered for 15 minutes

Rice is easy, you just do it.

Put some rice in pot, add water until you feel like its a good amount, bring to boil, cover and simmer until its ready lol.

Bro, that burnt rice crust is the best fucking part.
>had a cousin with access to a kiln that would make a hundred or so pots every few months to use and break making com nieu like that restaurant in Saigon
>shitty feeling when he moved away
Making burn rice with a normal pot just isn't the same.

Follow the fucking instructions on the bag or box.

1 part rice, 2 parts hot water. From the moment it starts boiling, 15 minutes in low heat. After that turn off the fire and let rest for 5 minutes. This works with any pan or pot.

Step 1. Get yo rice.
Step 2. Wash it, wash it, Wash it, wash it,Wash it, wash it,Wash it, wash it,Wash it, wash it,Wash it, wash it, Wash it you madman until the water becomes clear. That means you removed most of the starch from the rice.
Step 3. Add water. 1:1 ratio.
Step 4. Once the water is boiling place the lid, reduce to low heat and wait 15 minutes. AND FOR HE LOVE OF RAMSEY DON"T OPEN THE LID
Step 5. Yo rice is done.