German / Bavarian food

In Bavaria for a few weeks staying near Munich. Already been to the Marienplatz like seven times though I'm trying to avoid overly touristy restaurants. Give me some tips and recommendations please? Post pics if you have them.
Hans im Gluck still has good burgers right? I went two years ago when I was here for a few days and I remember it being good but I haven't been back yet. Since I'm here for a while I bought cheap shit at Aldi to make my own meals.
Also why is everyone in this country obsessed with curry? Is Donner really worth it? It looks pretty good but I've never actually gotten any.

Also unrelated to food but why is every Turkish person so angry all the time? I had one as a waiter and after bringing my party one round of drinks he brought us the receipt incredibly fast, like three minutes after we started drinking, and then kept telling us "Kitchen closed. Here is your receipt." over and over practically kicking us out. But he kept seating other people? We aren't a rowdy bunch and half of us spoke German so we weren't even being typical shitty Americans.

Other urls found in this thread:

sueddeutsche.de/thema/Restaurants
youtube.com/watch?v=29AnGBXhIOo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Since you are in Munich I would go for Zwickl - am Viktualienmarkt. Traditional restaurant and within (reasonable) walking distance. To wash down the meal, grab Paulaner Salvator or Zoigl if they have any.

As for the Turks, who knows. Döner is good but I would cook on your own/visit decent restaurants. After/during a evening with beer Döner is more than recommended.

I used to live in Kreuzberg in Berlin and the Turks were some of the friendliest people I met. When I mentioned to the owner of the döner place I visited most often I was going back to the States he sat down and shared some beers with me, even though it was a busy evening. Same thing with one of the bars near my flat, he gave a few rounds of shots to some of my friends and I on the house.

Of course this was more than ten years ago now and maybe attitudes have changed. Or maybe the Turks in the south of the country are different.

Rothenburg ob Tauber

the beer in bavaria

use this website: sueddeutsche.de/thema/Restaurants

on the left you can select what type of food you want.

below you can select where you are located.

shouldn't be too hard to navigate, even for a burger.

>Hans im Gluck still has good burgers right?

they're okay, it's a chain.

>Also why is everyone in this country obsessed with curry?

no one is, what are u on about?

>Is Donner really worth it? It looks pretty good but I've never actually gotten any.

it's just four bucks, just buy one you fuck and find out.

no, if anything kreuzberg has further developed into that direction. it actually used to be more dangerous/less nice in the early & mid 90s, but nowadays it's fantastic.

>>Also why is everyone in this country obsessed with curry?
>no one is, what are u on about?
It's a condiment option everywhere. It's a chip flavor and a ramen flavor and I just keep seeing it all over when I have never really seen it outside Indian restaurants anywhere else. Maybe it's a regional thing?

>Also why is everyone in this country obsessed with curry?

you probably mean currywurst which has nothing to do with the dish curry. it's sausage with ketchup and seasoning.

No I mean curry sauce as a condiment and everything mentioned in it's pretty prominent.

Go to the Pfälzer Weinstube in Munich and try some Flammkuchen

Also travel to a random small village and try out a rural restaurant. Cant do anything wrong with a good Schweinsbraten

People just like flavorful condiments. Like Americans with barbeque sauce or sriracha.

Anyways OP I'm not sure if this is exclusively Austrian since I had it in Salzburg, but try your hardest to find knoedel. They're these baseball-sized potato/bread dumpling things, and they're fucking incredible.

Go to cafe mozart near sendlinger tor and order a riesenschnitzel.

>To wash down the meal, grab Paulaner Salvator or Zoigl if they have any.
Salvator is a winter doppelbock. You don't drink that for lunch in July.

>try your hardest to find knoedel.
I'll be in Salzburg so definitely, thank you!

Lots of great sounding recommendations. I'll do my best to check them all out.

Käsespätzle, aka the Mac n Cheese of Southern Germany

The Mac n Cheese of Southern Germany are Schinkenfleckerl

Semmelknödel

That's Austrian

Käsespätzle are at least Swabian

Don't miss out on sweet dishes, it's quite common to eat sweet for lunch (lunch is main dish in Germany).

Try a Leberknöddeln or Festtagssuppe

>German/Bavarian Food
>implying Bavaria isn't Germany
Good job. No seriously. Good job. The majority of Germany would agree with you there.

Also any turk who doesn't work at a kabab shop is a sad turk, and every turk who works at a kebab shop is a cheeky turk. Half of the experience of getting a Doener is getting rekt by the server, so it's worth it.

>cheeky turks
youtube.com/watch?v=29AnGBXhIOo

YOU don't.

Fuck both of those look good.

Funny, but when I was in Vorarlberg they basically had Käsespätzle as their national entree and insisted nobody else could make it correctly.

Schweinshaxe is fantastic, probably my favorite dish in the world.