Does anyone have good recipe for paprikash?

Does anyone have good recipe for paprikash?

Other urls found in this thread:

epicurean.com/articles/hungarian-cuisine.html
youtu.be/IGwxk1SiBl0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Looks like chicken with tomato sauce in my phone. Can you describe it?

I am happy to see there is some interest in Hungarian food from others!

There are two types, quick (detailed below) which is usually made with/for sausages and regular which uses significantly more onion which gets caramelised. The regular one is usually used with/for chicken, but I'm suggesting the quick one for chicken because it's still delicious.

Here's the quick one, which makes four servings:

Pan sear four portions of chicken. Remove.

To the pan, add:
Flour, 2tbsp
Grease, 2tbsp
>lard or chicken grease is traditional, but most use sunflower oil nowadays for perceived health benefits
Paprika, sweet, 1-2tbsp or more
Finely chopped onion, half of one small to a quarter of one large
>garlic is usually used in the regular one, as is a bit of crushed tomato, but not in the quick one

Make a roux then add a cup of chicken stock.
Re-add chicken and finish up in the paprika gravy.
You can add cultured or soured cream now or when served up, as a garnish (like in your pic).
Stir in lots of fresh parsley.

Serve up, topped with additional cultured or soured cream, with a side of buttered potatoes, pinch dumplings or pasta. Rice is okay, too, if you're a heathen.
Also a side of sautéed green cabbage and/or sauerkraut.

Add hot paprika to taste/if desired (leave it at the table to add as you wish).

>Can you describe it?

Yeah. Like the name implies, it's chicken stewed with Paprika. That's where the red color comes from. Paprika, not tomato.

It's not always chicken. There's also the sausage one, mentioned in as well as a fish one made with carp (most common) or trout (or Hungarian salmon if you don't give a fuck about conservation) that is baked in the oven. You make the gravy as described above, less the cream, then pour it over the fish and bake it.

I've made paprikash before.
It just tasted like chicken with paprika.

I was disappointed.

1. Acquire cash. Any bill is fine but a Benjamin is best because it makes you feel good about yourself. Unless you really need that hundred bucks in which case you'll just feel stupid, in this case use a dollar bill or refrain from eating paprikash.

2. Crumple up the cash. Some gourmet chefs use crisp bills and don't do this, but the taste suffers as a result of it. Unfurl the cash and lay it loosely on your plate.

3. Get a shaker of paprika and shake it heavily over the bill. This is where the crumpling comes in; the creases and divots made will catch more of the paprika. You can do this more lightly or heavily according to your taste. You can also use different spices like oregano, garlic or saffron, but then it isn't paprikash, it's oreganash/garlicash/saffrash.

4.Enjoy! It's best to carefully lift it up to prevent too much spice from falling off(you may experiment with a light garnish to provide an adhesive) , and then eat the whole thing in one bite. You'll probably want to have water onhand.

I hope I've helped you, OP.

Hey I'm reading about the Mongol campaigns and now that I see your post I wonder if you are from Hungary maybe you can tell us if you can see any Mongolian influence in Hungarian cuisine. Maybe it's all blended at this point, but maybe there's some hint of it around? Thanks for sharing those recipes btw.

Nothing to really add except that my family and I have been making chicken paprikash for generations and I'm making it for my birthday dinner tomorrow. It's my favorite homemade meal of all time, hands done

Happy early birthday user!

>Hey I'm reading about the Mongol campaigns and now that I see your post I wonder if you are from Hungary maybe you can tell us if you can see any Mongolian influence in Hungarian cuisine
I really don't think an average person living 800 years after an extremely short-lived event would be able to tell you if they can see any influence from a radically different extinct culture that briefly occupied part of the country and then withdrew, never to be seen again.

All the "mongol" influence in European food is just some chef trying to make his dish seem more exotic and interesting by giving it a fabricated history.

I have on, it'l cost you a 1.000 bucks

>birthday dinner tomorrow
Happy Bday kiddo!

My paprikash is winged each time I make it, sometimes beef, sometimes pork or chicken, but usually chicken, and I'm sure it isn't traditional whatsoever. I brown halved or whole small mushrooms in butter/oil sometimes with some big chunky pieces of red bell pepper, remove from pan, brown chicken cubes in drippings. Set aside and to pan add garlic, then 1-3Tbsp flour to make roux, toast until combined with drippings. Add about a 1/2 cup of water or wine, with 1 packet of sodium free chicken stock granules (such as HerbOx). Add chicken and other items back to skillet, Add 3-4 Tbsp sweet hungarian paprika, cover and simmer on low. Now, sometimes I add a bay leaf, esp if beef. Before serving, stir in sour cream, but important not to raise heat too high once cream in the pan.

Usually serve with wide egg noodles with butter and parsley, some steamed peas or sauteed brussel sprouts. Sometimes I make some red cabbage.

You are underestimating the Mongol presence. They literally owned Hungary and didn't withdrew, they just lost interest.

>epicurean.com/articles/hungarian-cuisine.html
>The tokány is a ragout using long strips of beef, lamb, veal, chicken or game prepared in the Mongolian waterless braising technique.

that recipe's pretty cash imo

go back to /his
no seriously, go to /his, most fags there are really up for a debate and you can learn a lot. :)))))

>They literally owned Hungary
What does "owned" mean? Political structures and concepts of property rights were different 800 years ago
>and didn't withdrew, they just lost interest.
Aka they withdrew, because they lost interest. They were a nomadic society, they weren't about putting down roots and mixing with the locals. That happened later, and not in Hungary but in places like what is now Tajikistan or Iran.

>muh mongolian waterless braising technique
lolwut?
I'm Tokány is literally just a sautéed or stir-fried dish, often with a little liquid added to it at some point or other (yes, there can be some added, despite what your English-language resource tells you). To be fair, though, there isn't always liquid directly added. Sometimes, the moisture in the ingredients themselves are enough, like if using peppers, onions or mushrooms.

Anyway, are you trying to somehow claim that one of the most basic cooking techniques in the entire world is directly descended from Genghis Kahn's personal chef, Mortimer Kahn or something? Because that's what it sounds like. And that would be silly. Like claiming that Turks invented cooking over open flame or something.

I don't know enough about Mongolian cuisine and culture to tell you what remnants there are. However, Hungarians put family name first then given name after. Like if my name were Kovács Sándor, that might be Anglicised and Westernised to Sandor Kouvach, putting the given name (Sandor) first.
I know many East Asian cultures do, too, like Koreans and Japanese but that Mongolians do not because they don't have family names, just given ones.

>made thing
>tasted like thing

what were you expecting?

youtu.be/IGwxk1SiBl0

Young Delia makes it!

Vision, Wanda will not hook up with you.
Get over it.

>They literally owned Hungary and didn't withdrew,
Except when they withdrew and Bela IV returned and continued to rule
>they just lost interest.
So, they didn't conquer/rule/exact any influence over them?