I'm very conflicted Veeky Forums on which is better; end grain or edge grain cutting boards...

I'm very conflicted Veeky Forums on which is better; end grain or edge grain cutting boards? I mean wood is composed of packed lignin that acts as a series of tubes that seem more prone to harbor bacteria on end grain. Everyone says end grain is best but it's all a bunch of grandparent nonsense like

>it's supposed to take in bacteria so the wood can suffocate it and make use of its nutrients

>end grain cutting boards repair themselves when cut like a bundle of straws

>end grain boards won't dull your knives nearly as quickly!

>you're fine just don't use poultry on them or you'll have to throw it away

What are your experiences with different kinds of cutting boards?

Other urls found in this thread:

frogojt.com/Cuttingboards.pdf
williams-sonoma.com/m/products/8564973/?catalogId=13&sku=8564973&cm_ven=Google_PLA&cm_cat=Shopping&cm_pla=default&cm_ite=default&gclid=CIuk98v15s0CFQamaQodLwsCww&kwid=productads-adid^49385482903-device^m-plaid^63149791980-sku^8564973-adType^PLA
ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80233430/
amazon.com/Snow-River-Utility-Board-Dishwasher/dp/B0006FRAGQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

We don't actually cook here.

its a fucking hunk of wood user

get the one thats cheapest or get the one that you think looks the prettiest. doesn't fucking matter.

I use ketchup. Veeky Forums says I should use mustard but I think I'm gonna stick with ketchup.

>end grain boards won't dull your knives nearly as quickly!

This is correct.

Just wash your damned cutting board in soap and water like the rest of your dishes you filthy hypochondriac.

Get glass, and get gud.

I love my Santoku knife
Chop, tjob, some
Veggies

you obviously don't cut up enough shit

just get an endgrain for vegetables, and two edge grains for chicken and other meats... or don't, at the restaurant I work at we use thick plastic cutting boards, they're easier to differentiate because of their colors, and doesn't actually dull your knives much more(depending on the material of your knives)

I just use my countertops.

Polyethylene is where it's at bruh.

Plastic cutting boards are easy on your knives and dishwasher safe. They are also cheap.

For the price of a single "nice" wood block you can 6 to 10 plastic boards and ALWAYS HAVE A CLEAN ONE. In fact you can do that and that is exactly what i did... walk into walmart -its a great place to get cheap plastic crap, and buy yourself a stack of 6 of their plastic cutting boards. problem solved.

I find that the best size to buy is the largest size that will fit in your dishwasher, and then maybe one even larger one for carving - this one can be wood if you want because it is a presentation piece. I have one very large wooden cutting board that i got at a garage sale for 5 bucks. it had a big burn mark on the back, i sanded that off and gave it a coat of mineral oil and now it is like new - but cleaning it is a bitch. I basically do it once or twice a year when i have family over for thanksgiving or christmas.

Example

I was planning on making one
what the fuck is wrong with you people
I like your setup user. i've had 3 plastic cutting boards kicking around simply because they're convenient and I haven't had the time to make one.

I found this while I was looking around and it gave me some good insight frogojt.com/Cuttingboards.pdf

turns out really dense woods hold less bacteria because of their tight grain structure in end grain orientation as opposed to edge grain.

i cut all of my food in the air

If you don't want to read the whole PDF this accurately summarizes their findings

nice counter user. Can I see your sink?

L-lewd!

A full Wusthof set, lovely countertop, the understanding of the glory of three-buck-chuck, AND sane cutting board standards?

Truly, a gentleman and a scholar.

(I'll put my vote on edge grain for meat, end grain for everything else. And I personally have a plastic cutting board I compulsively also use for heavily staining fruit. Because I hate looking at deep stains on my regular cutting board.)

That is a very interesting bit of research... the chart doesn't do the discussion justice though.

For instance... the study notes that all pastic boards they recieved from used sources were almost perfectly sterile, while used wooden boards were not.

This can be found as the first note under "results." I find it curious that this is the only time this is mentioned.

There are also charts on there that show certain bacteria are less prevalent in plastic..

But most importantly, and I think this is why their used samples came into the lab the way they did - plastic can be run through the dishwasher. This study looks at how bacteria did when chicken and meat juices were applied to cutting boards and left to sit. I will never do that in my home kitchen, with any board. I will scrub the shit out of a wooden board or runa plastic one through the dishwasher.

It is also interesting to read how the prepared the surfaces and disenfected them to maintain their control. The note that plastic was able to be run through all sterilization procedures, while wooden boards were damaged by all sterilization procedures more serious than a chlorine scrub or UV light exposure. IE - you can't run wood through a fucking dishwasher. They talk about needing to resurface wooden cutting boards with fine sandpaper after running it through a dishwasher, which means they may have also removed some of the actual knife marks (nooks and crannies) from the board, while those would have been left on the plastic.

In the end.. its a good study to show how wood has some magical properties that defeat some bacteria if you just leave chicken juice sitting on your board. HOWEVER, it is a horrible study if you are trying to figure out what kind of cutting board you want in your home kitchen that has a hand dandy dish washer. I'll take plastic every time because it comes out of the dishwasher perfectly sterile and is lower maintenance.

Why aren't there metal cutting boards?

Metal and Glass are both bad for the knife edge. Also, chopping on either surface is very loud.

You know, people throw the autistic shit around...but like come on people. Wash your shit it doesn't fucking matter this much.

"Which is better" is a completely moot distinction to make. Quality and utility will vary with every different board you look at. If you're this serious about cutting boards, you should get both, as well as a small plastic one.

funny, i can provide an American study who proove the opposite , that wood is better den plastic...

As an astrophysicalist, I would go with end grain, if you can afford it. Probably the kindest to your blades. If you don't have blades that you hold close to your heart, or even if you do, the plastic crap works just fine.
Industry uses the plastic crap.
Doesn't mean that it is the best solution, means that it is the efficient solution.
I'm industry since the late 80's and I couldn't bring myself to buy end-grain because of the price.
If it was affordable, cheaper, I'd definitely go with that.
I only own one knife that has an edge that I really care about. It hits a plastic chopping block a few hundred times a day.
End grain boards are beautiful. And they are kind to your knife's edge. There's no argument.
It's an affordability issue.

> It's an affordability issue.

There's rubberwood end grain cutting boards for 15 Euros now. Not an especially low ash content wood, but then neither is maple and the burgers seem to love that for their boards.

>astrophysicalist
Stopped reading

>astrophysicalist
the hell does that have to do with cooking

This.

My wood cutting board is for presentation mostly, I cut few things there, it mainly sits next to the stove looking nice.

Got three plastic boards of assorted sizes for less money that see a lot more use.

The plastic boards are lighter, easier to clean simply because mine are white and I can see how clean they are and I could throw them away without a care if I wanted.

I work in the hotel industry, not restaurants, but what I've seen in the kitchen are plastic ones.

Who /bamboo/ here?

This picture got my dick hard

>made a kick ass wooden cutting board in woodshop
>use it eveyr now and then
>family keeps putting it in the fucking dishwasher
>the edges are all fucked up now

can you link it?

>spend $160 on thick as fuck end-grain cutting board
>fucker weighs like 10 lbs and is generally a bitch to use
>I oil it every single fucking day because I want it to last me decades
>4 months in, a giant crack develops
>6 months in, another
>8 months the cracks are wide enough that the piece of shit is unusable
>buy a $20 piece of shit Kitchenaid cutting board
>been using it for the last year and a half

Fuck kitchen memes.

I use these: williams-sonoma.com/m/products/8564973/?catalogId=13&sku=8564973&cm_ven=Google_PLA&cm_cat=Shopping&cm_pla=default&cm_ite=default&gclid=CIuk98v15s0CFQamaQodLwsCww&kwid=productads-adid^49385482903-device^m-plaid^63149791980-sku^8564973-adType^PLA
I used to have a plastic one for meats and such, but got over the whole "your gonna get sick" thing long ago. Just wash the damn thing when your done. Would like to make an end grain board though, not as big and heavy as the one in OPs pic, don't have the counter space, and although it looks nice, I imagine if be a bitch to wash.

you know wood expands right? I can guarantee that you oiled it wrong and you probably lodged water deeper inside its grain with each coat.

one time and you're done.

How do you properly season you chopping board Veeky Forums? I keep getting conflicting opinions.

ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80233430/

I've got one of these and it's pretty nice. The beveled edges in particular are a great feature.

>season you chopping board
>season

kill yourself, then find some food-grade mineral oil

>feature
>easy-to-grip slanted edges

Ikea, not even once.

I'm telling you, they are legit.

What do these numbers even mean. Nothing's labeled.

It means that there were bacteria on the plastic board, but not as much on the wood...

BUT this is sort of misleading, because they never cleaned the board after adding chicken juice... they just put chicken juice on the board and then took cultures with agar gel at different time intervals.

So... this is important results if that is how you use your cutting board. Thankfully, almost no one just leaves chicken juice sitting on their cutting board and then uses it again.

I think the most interesting part of the result was that the plastic boards were all sterile before they even touched them, but the wooden boards were not sterile when they first started off - which to me indicates what everyone already knows - plastic is more sanitary because it easier to clean properly because you can put it through the dishwasher.

In the end, you can't put wood in a dishwasher and so it has no place in my house other than display or presentation.

There's dishwasher proof laminate boards, cutting surface is wood but too thin to tear itself apart or warp the core.

TL;DR:
Clean your shit and everything will be fine

the fuck are you talking about? plywood?

>buy a big wooden cutting board from ikea
>never oil it because I keep forgetting
>always wash it by running water on top of it and scrubbing it to hell with a sponge
>1 year later no cracks no problems

I actually bought the oil too, I just can't be arsed to oil it

There are some plywood like laminates which claim to be dishwasher proof, but if you read the reviews they don't survive. I assume they use a complete watertight core, plastic or some kind of composite (you could use stainless steel too, but more expensive).

Actually looking around no good ones seem to be in production though. One used to be sold and American test kitchen even endorsed it. Then they stopped making them, instead making a substandard far thinner one. This was the actually good one :

amazon.com/Snow-River-Utility-Board-Dishwasher/dp/B0006FRAGQ