Britfag here

Britfag here

A lot of foreign friends I talk to either aren't familiar or dislike the baked bean culture we have. As far as I'm aware it's a thing exclusive to America and Britain. Am I correct or is there another country out there that's this big on beans?

Tons of places eat beans. But I've never seen many baked beans outside of the us and uk.

There are so many amazing ways to prepare beans

Australia. Baked beans are pretty big over here, a breakfast staple. Tasty shit

i do know what is that, on trip in usa I eat that and it taste like our child desserts; but what to expecting from british sink costs?

in japan we have bean call natto, it is much better and for real good taste (french word, gourmet?)

Do brits eat their beans sweet?

I live in the American Southwest and the very thought disgusts me. I eat a lot of beans (mostly black and pinto), and tend to eat them without any sort of sauce. Instead I just incorporate them into my meal.

A bean culture for sure, but a very different tradition than the British.

I fucking hate beans, but GOD DAMN I love baked beans. Why are they so good?

How many types of beans or bean dishes have you even tried?

Yes. That can probably has about 10 spoonfuls of sugar.

Mexicans and a lot of other Latin American countries.

Anyone have that story of the autistic bean child who nearly drove his parents to divorce?

A lot. I just don't like them. Not to the point that I absolutely cannot eat them, but I find the taste unpleasant. If you give me some food with some beans in it I'll still probably eat it because I'm not a manchild.

Expat here
baked beans in the UK are sweet, but still definitely taste of beans
beans stateside require non diabetics to take an insulin shot. Basically candy

Yeah this I had Baked beans on toast for breakfast this morning
Spaghetti in tomato sauce in a tin is also fairly popular

Ah, that's fair then. If you haven't tried pasta fagioli, I'm not crazy about beans but it's really good and the beans really make the dish.

Incorrect

Britbeans taste of sugar with a hint of tomato.

Are you 5 years old?

No, why?

American beans are considerably more sugary and sweet than British beans.

Also, Branston > Heinz.

brit baked beans are still sweet, but they're also acidic which makes them a lot more palatable IMO. having american style baked beans as a side is always weird and incongruous.

Swedfag here. Plenty of baked beans in our supermarkets, not usually on our breakfast tables though. Cheap and plentiful, and has been around for at least as long as I have been alive, so I'd say we eat a lot of them.

Even in the US, not everyone likes baked beans. It's weird to see how much of a staple it is in the UK.

We usually only eat baked beans with barbeque-ish type foods. It's stuff you might eat on a summer day with friends over; like macaroni salad or something. Even then, not everyone likes it. I personally don't like the sweetness. Maybe Brits make it differently, idk, but I'd never put beans on toast.

>that moment when you get that nice piece of pork

this.

baked beans are overtly sweet and really only eaten with bbq or at picnics/outdoor gatherings. Like meat pies (pot pies in the US) they are almost always some kind of premade cheap version you would get as an after thought at a grocery store, and while there are some homemade versions that are better in quality, they are still a strange mix of brown sugar and smokey bacon. Not bad, just not a popular choice for a side; only when feeding a large group of people.

I guess the usa has a preference for different sides, and the BBQ food selections and picnic/ourdoor gathering selections are very much related. both involve a grill and various meat, and some easy to make, cheap, and often cold temperature side dishes to feed many people and compliment the smokey food from the grill. if baked beans are served, expect to also see potato salad, coleslaw, macaroni salad, collard green or spinach, mashed potatoes, corn of the cob and cornbread.

Nice jacket potato with a bit of butter, some grated cheddar and some baked beans. Lovely stuff.

〇/十

Brit-beans and Ameri-beans are pretty different and I don't think you could really replace one with the other in the contexts that they're typically eaten. That being said I wish cheaper Brit-beans were available in the US.

I think there's one brand of vegetarian baked bean that's close but Heinz is the best (just pricey when you do find them).

heinz baked beans are shit

other brands used to be good years ago but now everything is like heinz beans
it's shit

I think Boston baked beans are kinda smokey. Which goes well with barbecue. They're still sweet but if you have something acidic/vinegary like cole slaw then it's a good match

I stayed with a family in Russia, they had Heinz baked beans there. They always ate them cold right out of the tin though.

Britfag recently moved to Canada here. Found this in Walmart and bought it for the lulz.

>As far as I'm aware it's a thing exclusive to America and Britain

I don't consider canned baked beans to be part of American or Canadian culture at all, aside from a Blazing Saddles joke.

Tex-Mex has a lot of beans in it, but your Heinz on toast fixation is alien to us

Nah, they don't, I'd imagine Brits would think US baked beans are terrible. I also live in the southwest, and I eat Heinz beans on toast (something I learned to love on a trip to Bongland years ago), but otherwise, the only canned beans I eat are Ranch Style beans (which just fyi for people who have never had them) are savory. I HATE the US baked beans because they're too fucking sweet. Can't stand it. Of course, I also eat plain, cooked beans in different ways, like borracho beans, beans and rice, etc, but those are beans I've cooked from scratch.

WHY THE FUCK DO YOU PEOPLE CALL THEM JACKET POTATOES

the best beans.

>US baked beans

Pic related is found in every American supermarket and is pretty much identical to the Heinz beans in the teal blue can.

Because they don't call it the outside the "skin" of the potato, it's the "jacket". Isn't English fun?

Not really, they're fattier and have the giant chunk of salt pork in it. Heinz beans don't. Also, pork and beans taste different.

Mom, you bought the wrong kind, again

>giant chunk of salt pork

You kidding me? It's barely the size of a thumbnail, if even that. The beans don't even taste like pork. The pork is a technicality, not a defining characteristic of its flavor.

>The pork is a technicality, not a defining characteristic of its flavor.
>Van Camp's Pork and Beans
>Pork and Beans
>Pork and Beans
>Pork and Beans
>PORK
>PORK
>PORK

Britain was a mistake.

Too bad we were here first.

Yes, I realize the can says pork on it.

My point is that the text is misleading and if you actually open a can of them and eat it you need a magnifying glass to find the pork, and the pork taste is non-existent. It really does taste just like the blue can OP posted.

As far as im aware, UK baked beans are not as sweet as american ones. Ive never had any in the US though so dont hold me to that

British people assume this about literally everything in their country. "yeah this thing is sweet, but it's not as sweet as it is in America... I assume".

You can replace sweet with anything really. But when it comes down to it Britain is just as sweet, loud, fat and annoying as America is.

The sweet I'll agree with you on. But loud and annoying? Lol. You've never been to a football match, have you? (I think you Americans call it soccer)

Im parroting what someone told me specifically about brands of baked beans. We're definitely not as loud though.

I absolutely positively fucking hate baked beans.
Fucking hate em.

Whenever im forced to eat them I put a bunch of salt, and pepper grinder on them and mix it up really good. Tends to take out the sweetness enough that I can eat them without thinking about it.

And I eat them first, to get them the fuck off my plate so I can eat what I really want.

Those beans are just in a disgusting syrupy slop. No wonder why Brits are so fat. Beans are good, though but not those canned monstrosities.

Just a few minutes before they're perfectly tender lads

homemade american baked beans you'd find at a bbq place are not too sweet at all, but all brits talk about are their canned ones like that's all that matters. do brits even make their own beans?

To any canadumbs here, I'd recommend No Name brand. I bought a can last week and compared the nutrition info to the Brown Heinz can, and there was way less sugar. The No Name brand tasted way better too.

I tried them a couple weeks ago because they were on sale and they were fucking disgusting.
Almost threw them out and I usually hate wasting food.