Mole/xocolatl thread

Mexicobros and everyone else. Please share your mole recipes and experiences. This food stuff of the gods needs to be appreciated. Also, how to you incorporate cacao/chocolate in your (savory) cooking?

Other urls found in this thread:

lamoradanyc.com/menu/
mexconnect.com/articles/2183-duck-in-mexican-red-pipian-sauce-pato-en-pipian-rojo
conknet.com/~planter/recipes/sauce_adobo.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Mole is the nastiest ass glop of shit on this goddamn planet I swear worse than fucking Indian shit food

Dumb gringo here.

Went to a Mexican restaurant the other day. Ordered something called a molcajete. Now my understanding was a molcajete was a kind of mortar made out of basalt, in the States they usually serve salsa out of them for dipping chips in. But this was a kind of thick soup or stew. Served in just a regular bowl. Is that a thing in Mexican quisine? Also, could you tell me more about various soups and stews from your country?

I can't say anything about mole except that I'd love to try the real thing. I once went to a fancy charcuterie and they had made a mole-inspired salami. Jesus, it was mind blowing.

>he doesn't like Indian food

opinion disregarded.

Have not tried to make many, mely martinez has my favorite poblano and i cross reference her recipe with the all recipes 'authentic mole sauce.' Number one tip is letting it sit at least over night before serving so the flavors can really blend

Agreed, why can't shitskins eat normal food?

normally, i hate recipe requests because there are scores of websites dedicated to this kind of shit and you're not trusting anonymous people who are odds-on to be terrible cooks and useless people in general.

however.

the best mole i ever had was made by an acquaintance of a friend for a dinner party a few years ago. i, and a couple other people asked for the recipe because it was sofaking good. this was her post on the facebook thread for us:

4 T ground ancho chilies
4 T ground aleppo
2 T ground chipotle
1/2 cup sesame seeds
15 peppercorns
1 t anise seeds
2 t ground cumin
1 t ground coriander
1/2 t ground cloves
2 t cinnamon
3 T raisins
20 whole almonds -- skins on, shells off
1 28-ounce can Muir Glen diced fire-roasted tomatoes
6-8 cloves garlic, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
4 cups chicken stock
4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
3 small chickens, cut into pieces
kosher salt
ground black pepper

INSUFFERABLY MESSY SAUCE STAGE:

1. Do not sniff the ground peppers, any of them, to see what they smell like, unless you're not feeling attached to your nasal epithelium. Do combine the peppers and marvel at their gorgeous deep reddish brown tone (#520600-ish?).

2. In a dry skillet, toast the sesame seeds, peppercorns, and anise (low-medium heat). If you're using whole coriander or cumin seeds, toss those in there, too. Heat til fragrant, stirring, a couple of minutes; don't overcook! Your seeds will get bitter and icky.

3. Use a mortar and pestle to grind the toasted seeds to a powder. Add this powder to the combined peppers.

cont.

4. Add a tablespoon or two of oil to the skillet and turn your heat to medium. Toss in the almonds and raisins and stir 'em around til the almonds are toasted and the raisins are plump. This'll take about 5 minutes. Smile at the plump, glossy raisins. They looked so gaunt before. Remove the almonds and raisins from the pan. If your goal is to dirty every last pot, pan, plate, utensil, and vessel in your kitchen (hi, Karen), use a fresh plate or something. You've only used one skillet, but you've dirtied a cutting board, at least one knife, a mortar, a pestle. Your spice and pepper bowl is still in use, so that doesn't count in the Dirty Dish Olympics.

5. Add a little more oil than you think you need to your skillet. Toss in your onions, stir. After a minute, add your garlic, stir. Here's why you need so much delicious oil: add to the pan your peppers, your toasted and ground spices, and the spices that you lazily obtained already ground: cinnamon, cloves, etc. Stir to coat with oil, reduce heat to low-medium, and "bloom" for a few minutes.

6. Add a handful of kosher salt, stir in the tomatoes and chicken stock, add in the almonds and raisins (which aren't quite so plump anymore), and stir very, very well to incorporate all ingredients, making sure nothing important (like your wallet) is stuck to the bottom of the pan. Bring to a simmer, then cover loosely, reduce the heat, and simmer away for about an hour, stirring when you remember to.

7. Remove the sauce-in-progress from the heat and let it cool down for a bit, especially if you're using a food processor instead of a blender. Work in batches or you will REGRET IT. You will go through 70 Magic Erasers and curse my name and never eat Mexican food ever again. So work in batches. Anyway, working in batches, puree the sauce along with the chocolate (remember the chocolate?), add salt and pepper to taste, and then drink the whole thing with a thick bubble tea straw.

>and finally
8. You can put the sauce away now for up to a week til you're ready for the chicken part of it. Or, you can just move on to the chicken part of it. You know how we roll in faux Mexico. C'est bon!

PAINFULLY SPLATTERY CHICKEN STAGE:

1. Put on protective gear. Don't be like Danie! Do not forget that chicken is the most painful of the stovetop meats! Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Well, you could have done that part without the padded suit.

2. Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Heat up... yeah, oil again. Over medium-high heat, brown the chicken on all sides, a few pieces at a time, and move to a roasting pan. When you're finally done (you'll know because you're out of chicken and your entire kitchen is shiny and hazardous to walk in), pour the mole sauce over the chicken and cover the pan with some foil.

3. Check the chicken after 45 minutes or so, maybe decide to turn the oven temp up to 400 because you've only lived in this new place for a couple of weeks and you're not sure if things are calibrated to reality. Maybe uncover the chicken. Maybe not.

butthurt redneck samefag detected

I'm going to a Oaxacan restaurant in the next few weeks that serves mole negro, blanco, Oaxaqueno, pipian, and poblano, what should I get?

lamoradanyc.com/menu/

Just look at that menu, it looks so damn good

10/10 post. Although you are quite right about the multitude of websites out there, this board is supposed to be about cooking and not lame 'memes,' and fast food posts; it's important to share your family/personal recipes and go to sites, for regional/cultural dishes. Thanks for the contriboot

Here we go

>normally, i hate recipe requests

fuck you, you're wrong, but thanks for posting nonetheless.

I made mole a while ago, I'll dump pics with a thumbnail outline of the method. I forget exact recipe.

Simmer turkey with the aromatic vegetables .

Char the various dried chiles on a comal

Grind them to a pulp with just enough turkey stock to make it workable, reserve

Char the tomato, onion and unpeeled garic

Fry some tortilla de maiz and bolillo roll. Char some more tortilla on open flame ( on stovetop, not pictured )

grind all the charred vegetable and fried breads, reserve.

I don't know what you were served.
You are right, molcajetes are a sort of mortar. There is a dish called 'molcajete' in which they serve a big molcajetes filled with beef, chicken, chorizo, nopales, onions, etc.

I crave everything mole desu senpai

Fry all the seeds, nuts, spices and fruits

>normally, i hate recipe requests
It's a cooking board. Actually talking about cooking is much better than shitty /v/ meme threads. That said, thank you for the recipe.

Mix the resultant mixtures together over heat

add turkey stock to thin it out enough and cook, adding more if it gets too thick.

add chocolate tablets

forgot to attach pic

usually folks put the turkey pieces into the mole . I took a leg and made a plate just to take the picture .

now that's a mortar and pestle combination

Please travel more

This is a molcajete . Mole is usually made with a metate, a flat grinding stone. I don't have one though, so I used my big pig molcajete

is this seapasta? if not, pretty great stuff, will make at home

that kitchen is not clean enough for Mexican grandma, you are in for shitstorm muy grande

Thats out back on the patio, because I'm using the big ass propane burner for the clay cazuela . This is the house of Mexican grandma BTW , on Mexican soil even.

Where in Mexico?

Guaymas, Son.

Sounds delicious. Going to have to try it out when I move into my new place which has a much better kitchen

she's going to beat your ass regardless mano, clean that shit up I fear for your life

You've got it wrong, she cleans after me. I cannot clean at her house if I tried, even my own mess, she won't allow it. Its my mother-in-laws BTW .

Great, thank you!

its for real. it was really fucking good, too

goddamn you that's my grandmas shit

except nixes the almonds and cuts tomatoes instead of canned plus mexican chocolate instead of dark

oh and peanut butter

I fucking hate making it though. Learned and wrote shit down but goddamn that fucking mole mess.

Its a pain to make. that is why most people use the paste. Its great for when family is around and you can have them slave away at it.

we have his IP recorded, the shock and awe troops are on their way. he will be extraordinarily renditioned, folks.

thanks, i may actually try this.

superior Veeky Forums thread IMO

crashing this thread and /r/ing some god-teir horchata recipes

yeah ive definitely gotten that before and it was called the same name, delicious creamy cheesey stew with beef and chicken, served with tortillas. god damn i am hungry now

I saw this thread while eating arroz con leche. Good thread!

for that, i will save it from page 10

If you´re interested I could explain a little bit about mole and the way they are made, I´m a mexican cook here in mexico, so if you´re willing I´ll take you on a tour of what mole is about and how it stands between the rest of the mexican gastronomy and it´s ramifications. I don´t think I should give you an actual recipe but I can point you towards making a real mole of your own.
Reply if you´re interested, I don´t feel like writing 5 fucking long posts if nobody is going to read them.

All! Mole Negro is my favorite

Me gustaría hacer mole pero el más fácil (que seguramente será dificil)

Mole Rosa (pink)

Peanut Mole

clemole

well it depends, but the most basic ones like pipian and the like are real simple, you could go from there
and negro is a oaxacan specialty with some chilies that are very difficult to find outside of the state so I would also recommend that one.

Poblano

Start with making pipian and adobos. My fav recipe is getting some pasillas and making it with a bit of honey . it is not as hard to make like mole and can taste just as good. Pipian is easy to make and not very time consuming.

Go for it bro, it reminds me to a romesco and other Spanish(or Catalan) dishes and sauces. The pestle&mortar stuff is one of the bases of catalan cuisine (Picada/Morterada) for sauces and to give more body to stews and the like, it seems the same in Mexico but instead of bread with maize tortillas (and a lot more chiles).

Fine here we go.
There are many kinds of moles, pipianes are sauces that feature some seed, the most common one is green pipian which is a pumpkin seed, but you can make them out of sunflower or chile seeds, when you use nuts to alter the flavor they are usually called that, as in the case of almendrado or encacahuatado. Pipian comes in two classic colors which are red and green, and some specialties like pink and milk.
Manchamanteles are a super sweet kind of fruit mole, they are not too common and are generally considered a specialty mole instead of a large group.
Normal moles like you can usually find in paste are the primary ones, and vary hugely throughout mexico, puebla, oaxaca and veracruz have many variations each, oaxaca for example has coloraditos, negro, blanco, verde etc. puebla has poblano in many styles and veracruz has three important regions, sotavento, center and huasteca, they each have different combinations of ethnicities and differences in flavor profiles.

First we´ll begit talking about the classic or complex moles, most are made by a system which I think of as a three topped pyramid, in the bottom you can choose the formal base, that will give the central color, flavor, spicyness and style. Here we have the basic chiles where you can choose usually guajillos, mulatos, or pasillas.
After the base you have a second layer of chilies that will be used in lower amounts and will modify the base while at the same time pushing mole in the primary direction you want it to go, here you find chipotles, chile de árbol, cascabeles, piquines, puyas and sometimes negros and the like.
Next you have the bodybuilders, nuts, bread, cookies, tortilla, masa.
Now you get to the first flavor building materials, chocolate, plantain or other fruits, candied fruits, raisins, garlic, onion, tomato, etc.
Above that you have your central spices, where you will have the chance to push the mole in a powerful way towards your end goal, -->

This is not always the case. I've eaten pipian rojo various times with peanuts and the name remained intact. encacahuatado is more like a mole

so why don´t we compare our friends recipe with a classic mole from here, the middle lands of middle veracruz, mole xiqueño from this post mexican-authentic-recipes.com/salsa_y_dips-mole_xico, I just searched for it but reading it it's a normal xiqueño mole.
Although you'll have to wait till night because I have to go to work.

Yeah, usually but there is no formal convention like there is a large latitude between adobos, and moles, you could swear you sometimes are eating mole and the cook will insist it´s adobo, and you could really believe it´s adobo and the cook will be adamant it´s a mole.
You also have multiple dishes that are similar to both but are considered salsas. There´s no hard lines and trying to place them is much more trouble than it´s worth.

Here's a good recipe that is simple and delicious.

mexconnect.com/articles/2183-duck-in-mexican-red-pipian-sauce-pato-en-pipian-rojo

I like using sesame seeds over pumpkin seeds in this recipe desu

Adobo sauce.

conknet.com/~planter/recipes/sauce_adobo.html

chile + honey makes the best marinade/adobo for pork lamb and duck

>I went to a Mexican restaurant
>I saw what I thought to be "large mortar made of basalt"
>I was hungry, and large basalt mortars fill me up, so I ordered one
>what I received, however, was something more resembling a soup
>what's the deal, Mexico?

You're an absolute fuckin warrior.

please. we might actually learn somthing. also i think you should give us an actual recipe