Why does coffee as a beverage even exist?

Why does coffee as a beverage even exist?

How did people get the bright idea of picking the cherries off some wild plant, taking the seeds out, taking the husks off the seeds, drying them for days, then roasting, then grinding, then steeping it in hot water for 5 minutes and then drinking the result?

aztec gods breh. who were likely aliens. and they know their shit. too bad they went back to the andromeda galaxy or wherever the fuck they call home

10,000 years of experimentation. People used to chew on the cherries because they made them feel a little more awake, and over time someone got the idea to take a bunch of those cherries and drying them out to keep them around. Someone else probably got the idea to try to cook them or grind them up and put them in something.

What I want to fucking know is who in the god damn fuck was the first human that saw a raw oyster and said

>yeah I'll eat that

To remind you about bitterness of existence.

Extremely hungry people.
Same with milk - don't waste shit from a kill. Hey this tastes good, maybe I'll take some from my own cow if I'm fucking starving to death. Cheese was milk stored in the stomach while traveling and of course they're not going to waste it and they didn't die so here we are.

Probably is like you said.
Ate the cherries, didn't die. Chewed on the seeds (boredom, keep away hunger) felt more awake. Stored the seeds separately/kept them for travel in a pouch and they tried out.
Roasting could have been anything really. Maybe at first they started with boiling it in water to make a drink, then roasted them like spices before doing that, then ground them up for who knows what reason.

You just have to keep in mind they probably traveled a lot, and they weren't likely to waste anything. If they could get multiple caffeine splurges from soaking it (or boiling) the seeds in water they'd do it. The rest could come about in multiple ways.

Some of you guys are fucking full of shit. There is a wikipedia article on the history of coffee, you know. It's only 1000 years old at MOST, probably more like 600.

It was not invented by random wandering faggots.

Don't post that unfunny sellout faggot jew here anymore.

>be me
>ethiopian goatherd bro
>see goats eating berries
>goatbros start jumping around and fucking like crazy
>eat berry
>ohshitnigga.jpg
>high as fuck off some berries
>show berries to mudslime monk
>absolutely haram
>monkfag throws berries into fire
>smells great man
>scrape up remains and put into hot water
>WA LA
>one venti white mocha frappuccino with 5 shots and extra caramel, that'll be $8.79 plus tip sir!

What about green tea?

See this, i get. Early primal foods out of necessity
What I want to know is who the fuck came up with puff pastry?

>one venti white mocha frappuccino with 5 shots and extra caramel, that'll be $8.79 plus tip sir!

>mfw that's just a melted candy bar in a cup

Did you know that Ethiopia is one of the oldest Christian nations? They are not muslims at all.

The goat herders who discovered coffee were neither muslim nor christian, but if anyone gets the credit for popularizing it, it's the muslims

If a butterfly had flapped its wings a little differently that century, we'd all be addicted to qat instead

Grinding coffee probably came from the same mindset as grinding spices.
Makes it mix easier and extract faster.

Even if people don't know the exact science, it doesn't take much to deduce a bean split in two will soak and extract faster than one

>puff pastry

Well you know how video games have regular players that do the regular things, and then there's the "meta" players?

That's kind of what the French turned into. For a long time they were to cooking like the Koreans are to Starcraft.

But what about the concept of grinding things to do such? How would have that started?

humans sat around fires for 100 000+ years eating raw food

>let that sink in

They watch me grind your mother's ass into paste

Puff pastry was invented by the French or the Austrians. They themselves got the idea from Spain where they had some time ago kicked out the Muslims who left behind a bunch of useful knowledge, including the concept of layered dough - these days this type is called phyllo.

Phyllo on the other hand came to Spain most likely from Constantinople (Istanbul) in modern day Turkey, as it was essentially the center of Islamic culture at the time of the Ottomans. The Ottomans of course stole the idea from further East, from Central Asian people. I think the mongols may have been involved - some of the mongols, after invading the Middle East and BTFOing Muslims forever during the Siege of Baghdad decided to later convert to Islam, which lead to a period of cultural exchange between the Muslim world and Asia. There existed a kind of layered dough in China at the time and it's possible that it's the original version of phyllo that the mongols eventually transmitted to the Middle East. So it was the Chinese all along, as usual.

The spread of coffee has a similar history of being spread to Europe through the Muslim world, with the abridged version essentially being: Ethiopian goat herders -> Arabs in Yemen -> rest of Arabia -> Ottomans -> Italy -> the rest of Europe -> the New World.

Because it's just "chewing", but outside of the mouth.

Story goes that goat farmers saw their goats eating coffee berries and getting wired, decided to try it too.

>taking the husks off the seeds, drying them for days
Same thing you'd do with any plant once you figure out what the good part is

>then roasting
iterative experimentation

>then grinding, then steeping
This is actually quite recent, Ethiopian coffee ceremony boils the whole bean in a jug
And Turkish coffee, while ground, simmers the coffee in a small pot

The French Press was only invented in like the '30s, as a convenience device for frogs who were boiling their coffee in cheesecloth.

That's literally the most mindblowing thing I've ever read

As a few Anons have said, Ethiopian goatherds saw their goats eating the beans, getting frisky, and 'dancing'.

Ecstasy was later discovered the same way.

>mfw that's just a melted candy bar in a cup
That's standard murican cuisine friendo

grinding wheat and herding animals where litterally the first two things settled peoples did. it cant have been that confusing.

Mdma was accidently created by people trying to invent diet pills.

>How did people get the bright idea of picking the cherries off some wild plant, taking the seeds out, taking the husks off the seeds, drying them for days, then roasting, then grinding, then steeping it in hot water for 5 minutes and then drinking the result?

tl;dr Ottoman merchants saw African tribesmen chewing on the coffee beans and, being Ottomans, decided to make a "tea" out of it

Chewing spice seeds is hard. Let's hit it with a rock, this solved most of our problems in the past. Oh look it's less chewing now, and the taste is stronger. Let's make even more seed fragments by ripping them apart between two stone surfaces. This probably happened LONG before coffee.

>50000 BC
>hitting food with a rock

Me only eat food not hit by rock. Is healthier. Is more natural. Me father only ever eat whole seed and whole root and he live to 40. Only weakling berrypicker has weak jaws to need hitting seed with rock.

You're missing the point.

It still addresses the questions for how brewing procedures came about and were applied to coffee.