Dildo that boils water that interacts with your iPhone

>dildo that boils water that interacts with your iPhone
>$230
Please don't tell me there are idiots that fall for this shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

chefsteps.com/joule/hardware
broadsheet.com.au/melbourne/food-and-drink/directory/restaurant/chin-chin
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

So what exactly is this? You have a generic filename and don't tell us what it is, and you expect us to have a discussion about it?

I know a certain someone who will probably buy one and review it.....poorly.

Pretty sure it's some kind of sous vide machine.

Some boil in the bag device

chefsteps.com/joule/hardware

Utterly useless. My tap gets up to 125F, and that plus a bit of boiling water in a cooler cooks sous vide just as well as a machine. Only retarded faggots pay for a sous vide machine desu

>poo in the shirt

No it doesn't. Have you actually even done this? $200 is not a lot of money, and I'm happy to pay it multiple times over to get actual temperature control vs. user's mystery heat bucket.

the way of the future

Good luck doing anything long term with that.

What would happen if I just put my meat in a large pot of water in the oven set to a certain temperature? Won't that be exactly the same?

99% of ovens don't go below 200 F and it would melt the vacuum/ziplock bag

>measure the temperature of the tap water with an ordinary thermometer
>boil some water
>mix the boiling water with the tap water in the correct ratio to get the desired temperature
>place inside thick styrofoam container for insulation
If you want to compensate for heat loss through the insulation, you can measure the rate of heat loss, time the cooking, and add more boiling water as needed.
If you're cooking enough that heat loss to the substance cooked becomes an issue, you need to either take a guess, or install an actual thermometer to your kitchen calorimeter.

My oven goes to 50 degrees Celsius (122F)? And how would it melt the plastic bag if it's underwater?

>tfw you need to be Steven hawking to cook a steak

>My oven goes to 50 degrees Celsius (122F)?
Then do it in your oven

So sous vide machines are a scam, since there's already an appliance in my kitchen that can do the same job just as easily

For you, yes. For 99% of the population that doesn't have an oven that does that, no.

I have a sous vide but 90% of the time I use it for yogurt. Sometimes for steaks and roasts and occasionally for a big project.

Watch some ChefSteps shit. There are some interesting things you can do with it that you normally wouldn't think to do.

I refuse to believe 99% of ovens can't go below 90C. I don't think I've ever seen an oven that can't. The oven at my parents house goes to 50C, and my girlfriends oven, her parents oven and my grandparents oven go to at least 70C. Have I just been exposed to god tier ovens all my life?

The minimum for most ovens in the US is 200. Some go as low as 170.

C-can I get it for android?

>put pot of water on stove
>stick thermometer in water
>adjust heat until I reach temp i want

Holy fuck, what a revolutionary new idea!

My oven can. My mothers oven could. My grandparents (both sides) could. You've been meme'd

>tfw you can't do high school physics

>a jew hipster who can't pronounce anything in any language
Why should I like that kike?

Even so, it still won't work.

Have fun doing something longer than 8 hours that way

Broken and gathering dust in a corner, but this old piece of shit starts at 100 Celsius.

i'm guessing steven doesn't cook his own steaks

mine bottoms out at about 65C and i used to fuck around with opening the door to get lower. one time i had a steak at 55 for a whole day and in the last six hours my sister came downstairs, saw the pencil lodged in the door and took it out before writing an angry note about me giving us all lead poisoning/causing an explosion. the steak was ruined.

i also cooked a turkey ballotine this way for a christmas meal. for 10 hours i repeatedly boiled/ladelled off enormous panfuls of water to keep the temperature constant. i did this while preparing all the other sides and shit starting at midnight. it wasn't worth it.

i also have done this many a time. do you guys realise how much of a fucking ballache all of this shit is? it's just about ok doing it with something small and tender that takes a couple of hours to cook, but i've been through all this shit with products of all shapes and sizes. i've done a rolled porchetta in a fish kettle in the oven for 36 hours. i've cooked stuffed calamari in my bedroom. i never got quite as far as 72 hour shortribs, but that wasn't for lack of trying, i just had bags break on me in tragic accidents.

230 dollars is fucking cheap for a simple solution like this. you're welcome to make your own setup, but denying the convenience of a pump and PiD controlled heat source is just fucking stupid. i don't have a joule and i'm not shilling for them, i have an anova that hasn't failed yet. go on a shopping spree between radio shack and an aquarium shop if you want to do it DIY, but for fuck's sake do not try to low temp oxtail on your stove or in your oven or in a beer cooler with a kettle, your happiness is more fucking important.

I want this meme to end.

>230 dollars is fucking cheap for a simple solution like this
I agree. It's strange, you never see people sperging out this hard about stand mixers ($300-400 for a quality one), good knives ($150+ for just a chef's knife), or any other culinary tools that are more than what a minimum wage worker makes in a day.

Amateurs. All of you.

Why are you not just using your dishwasher?

Thank me later

Is sous vide actually applicable in commercial kitchen?

>stand mixers
Do a job much faster.
>good knives
Knives are quintessential to cooking. Good ones are still fairly cheap. Plenty of people shit on 300 dollar knives.

Sous vide is a meme. Takes literally hours to cook when a little bit of experience, skill, and technique will produce the same results. Reverse searing will give you the same result in a steak and is just as easy.

>an hour for a decent sized steak
No.

yes, extremely applicable.

>an hour for a decent sized steak

it's not how long it takes, it's how reliable and scalable it is.

also learn what 'quintessential' means.

high level restaurants do it all the time...
where do you think this technique came from? NASA?

Yes. Michelin starred restaurants commonly employ the method. Heston Blumenthal called it one of the greatest advancements in the last few decades.

>Do a job much faster.
And a circulator will facilitate the job just as a stand mixer facilitates mixing dough.

>high level restaurants

Welcome to Noma. Here is your appetizer.

Gastronomists (aka businessmen) who wanted to sell their powders and machines at a premium, probably.

yeah okay Chris Young

note: not done sous vide

Not an argument

>greatest advancements in the last few decades.

Its heating food in plastic baggies. Its how fast food restaurants heat up the soups they store in the freezer.

Sous Vide is the "put everything in gelatin" of this decade. Give it another 20 years and people will be looking back on it and laughing their asses off that "high level chefs" would cook things in plastic bags in a pot of water.

>Its heating food in plastic baggies

fundamentally the actual 'advancement' comes from people working out how to use this method in combination with precise temperatures to get specific results. when you look at a piece of beef and instead of picking a doneness from rare to well done you pick from 50C to 80C for from 90 minutes to 72 hours with specific expectations of that range of results, it changes how you cook.

You can keep making exscuses all you want.

You are still cooking food in plastic bags, and I am still going to laugh at you for it. Its TV dinner tier cooking.

what am i excusing?

would you take it more seriously if a material other than plastic was used?

You can rail against it all you want, but when the industry leaders including Keller, Blumenthal, and Adria as well as people like Nathan Myhrvold advocate for it and say it's a game changer, no one's going to even give a second thought about how you react to it.

this is plain wrong

sous vide allows you achieve identical results with protein cookery across all skill levels of staff. it also speeds things up during service, despite what you may think

>600g rib eye
>seal in bag with butter thyme and garlic clove
>cook rare at 57C then rapidly cool
>pop it in a 55C bath just before service
>get steak on order, remove from bath and give it a quick grill/torch
> 5 minutes after mains called away, your steak is ready

>duck breast
>score skin, seal in bag with seasonings
>cook 58C for 40 mins & rapidly cool
>put in 55C bath just before service
>"one duck new order"
>cut open bag, render skin and you're ready to send in under 10'mins

sous vide ensures meats are cooked perfectly every single fucking time with way less margin for error. also sous vide means the meat doesn't lose juice at all during cooking so is weightier and more juicy than its traditionally cooked counterpart

tldr consistently perfectly done meat really fucking fast. are you fucking retarded

> also sous vide means the meat doesn't lose juice at all during cooking

no it doesn't. meat cooked to a specific temperature is gonna lose juice, even if it's vacuum sealed. it can reabsorb some of those juices if the temperature is ramped down slowly, but a steak cooked in a water bath to 55C vs a steak cooked in an oven to 55C is gonna lose the same amount of juice, all things being equal.

I'm talking juice loss compared to a conventionally grilled(not oven slow cook) steak vs sous vide

>steak cooked in an oven to 55C is gonna lose the same amount of juice, all things being equal.
at 55C° in an ofen is more "drying" then "cooking" you make jerky like this...
I would wrap it in plastic too...

on the other hand 55C° is to risky if you don't work under clean conditions or if the neat is not top quality (a restaurant in Germany had 20 customers in the hospital because they eat 12h sous-vide roastbeef ...

Ah, so its a thing for retards who cant cook properly and produce a consistent product without a machine controlling the temp and cooking the food for them.

Gotcha.

it's not the vac sealing that prevents fluid loss it's the gentle low temp cooking. as opposed to raging hot grill

What about cost to opperate?

imagine you own a restaurant and can't be there every service.

hire an expensive and experienced chef for your grill section

or

hire a recently qualified young chef for considerably lower $ and do your meats sous vide

???

>muh skills! muh pride
reality vs ego

No, but since now you're being intentionally obtuse because you know you've lost there really isn't any point in carrying on any further.

I don't think Rene even sous-vides, ironically. Neither do Magnus or David Kinch unless it's something really simple like eggs. Not even proteins. What else do these "top" restaurants do besides spend a disproportionate amount of time and energy to heat ingredients to a certain temperature just so it can be finished off during meal shift? What happens if you need to cook something to order? Or are we above that and are only assuming tasting menus? Wouldn't the dining experience suffer then because you were served some protein that was cooked a day before, and the conception of the dish was just "we think it's cooler to sous-vide so let us serve you this piece of steak but cooler"?

Sous-vide is only unique in that it can do some cool stuff with fruits and vegetables, and that doesn't even require the hot dildo. Chefsteps ultimately fails to market their machines in that regard because they haven't shown a single exciting, new thing that could justify paying 230 imminent-recession dollars for a machine. I'm talking something really revolutionary that would make it a staple appliance. Not a gimmick. (Okay the chicken noodle thing was okay imo)

It's a meme and it's marketed to home cooks with more money than sense to read a cookbook or take a hands-on approach to cooking, which totally defeats the point of cooking at home in the first place. The hard work makes the meal mean that much more. The skills and work habits you learn mean that much more. Going from a shitty cook to a confident amazing one means that much more, and cooking itself can be a very productive and relaxing experience, especially for the people close to you.

> recently qualified young chef

If your "young chef" is so terrible that he needs a sous vide setup to cook everything for him then hes a fucking idiot and shouldnt be in your restaurant to begin with.

well yes, but the factor there is the temperature, not the environment in which it's cooked.

55C is cooking, it's on the upper end of rare. and it's a safe pasteurisation temperature, holding at a couple of hours should be more than enough to make it completely safe.

this is why i said 'all things being equal'. sous vide products still lose juices. juice loss is directly proportional to temperature. you see this every time you cook something sous vide, there are always a striking quantity of leached juices in the bag. you either ramp the temperature down slowly for reabsorption or turn that shit into a jus son

he's not terrible - not all young and recently qualified chefs are completely incompetent. how do you get skilled at anything? you practise over time

would you prefer to waste some expensive steaks, or not waste steaks at all whilst saving on wage cost?

>sous vide

>yfw the chefsteps crew are in this thread right now

Ben probably shitposts on /b/

i can only imagine this practice ever being a thing at shitty franchises. proper restaurants expect their employees to have basic skills.

>imagine

okay buddy

i'm saying this having worked in professional kitchens which use sous vide. the method is not selectively applied to untrained staff, it is used for specific components or retherming.

You still don't fully understand what sous vide cooking does. Novices tend to think of cooking only in terms of temperature, but in reality time factors in just as much. A piece of meat kept at a constant temperature for 30 minutes, an hour, 4 hours, and 12 hours will have vastly different properties. This method allows you achieve things you will never be able to achieve using a grill or a pan. You will never get a tough cut like chuck to be as tender as a filet on the grill or in a pan.

You're talking out of your ass. Sous vide cooking was used in professional kitchens for decades before it came to the home in the last couple of years. That last paragraph is a joke as well. Cooking a steak in a pan or on a grill is hardly more involved and hands on than sous vide cooking then searing.

idk about the US (I assume you're American) but it's commonplace in Australia in mid-high tier establishments. I worked at a Hyatt hotel for 3 years and they used sous vide widely due to the consistency factor and ease of use. Junior commis would do grill sections no probs. Similar scenario in restaurants in Melbourne. One of Melbournes hottest restaurants (chin chin) cooks the majority of their menu sous vide, off site due to their huge volume of sales. From a business perspective sous vide makes heaps of sense.

>sous vide defence force in action

>i-i-its a legitmate cooking technique! honest guys!
>w-why not buy one?

>t-they arent accepting it! They know!
>SHUT IT DOWN!

>sous vide ensures meats are cooked perfectly every single fucking time with way less margin for error

I think this is the most compelling argument for sous vide outside of high end cuisine. Applies to most kitchens, including home.

inb4 i can cook steak perfect without it, that's not the argument

>he hasn't tried Joule(TM)

> One of Melbournes hottest restaurants (chin chin) cooks the majority of their menu sous vide, off site due to their huge volume of sales.

Sounds exactly like a fast food chain.

>Sous-vide is only unique in that it can do some cool stuff with fruits and vegetables

if it can do 'cool stuff with fruits and vegetables' it can do 'cool stuff' with anything. the principle is the same. don't be a dingus. yes sous vide can be used as a crutch. but it also allows to break traditional boundaries - from matters of precision, to scalability, and even to entirely novel textures and levels of flavour development.

> The hard work makes the meal mean that much more.

oh fuck off. i don't disagree that an elaborate process can be therapeutic/satisfying but this is not an argument against sous vide you fucking luddite.

On a purely superficial level, yes.

>its being cooked for 72 hours therefore it is more than just food in bag in water

have a quick search for chin chin, definitely not a chain. they have their own cook book like lots of other highly successful restaurants.

broadsheet.com.au/melbourne/food-and-drink/directory/restaurant/chin-chin

>ignore all facts, reasoning, and explanations presented
>repeat that the process either includes bags, water, or both
>somehow that's deemed a cogent argument against sous vide

>Ah, so its a thing for retards who cant cook properly and produce a consistent product without a machine controlling the temp and cooking the food for them.
Look who we have go there, a fucking caveman!

>a machine controlling the temp and cooking the food for them
Wait are you talking about the stove? Or the oven?

I prefer putting stuff in a laminated envelope and ironing it

>Look who we have go there

I think you might actually be the caveman m8.

Actually, sous vide (it wasn't called that long ago) was conceived as a way to industrialize cooking; particularly in factories, prisons, and hospitals. Also, nice job at reading comprehension. I was talking about the marketing for sous vide, particularly for Joule. I'm sure whatever Anova or SousVide® some posters have in this thread have had the same type of marketing.

>Cooking a steak in a pan or on a grill is hardly more involved and hands on than sous vide cooking then searing.

So you admit that the extent that sous vide can achieve is just steaks at a consistent doneness? Wow, what an amazing machine.

The cool stuff is from vacuum sealing plants so that the texture changes. Actually vacuum sealing itself is more revolutionary than sous vide. From boiling liquids to preserving general produce.

>but it also allows to break traditional boundaries - from matters of precision, to scalability, and even to entirely novel textures and levels of flavour development.

How about you fuck off instead, Modernist Cuisinist. Show something exceptional that can be done with sous vide and maybe I'll believe whatever you just said.

I'm pretty sure if ovens did exactly what sous vide could do they would already have been popularized

Fact of the matter is, cooking in liquid benefits most ingredients just off of specific heat capacity. 1L of water at 55C has a lot more energy in it than your oven at 55C, which means it cooks quicker, but still achieves an unparalleled texture

>but still achieves an unparalleled texture

$0.40 has been deposited into your account. We thank you for your service.

>muh highly successful, top restaurants with visionary chefs in the likes of Heston "I fucked up pizza" Blumenthal and Ferran "literally poison" Adria

Do you actually have a valid opinion on sous vide or are you doing it because it makes you look cool to serve meats that all look, taste, and feel the same?

>Actually, sous vide (it wasn't called that long ago) was conceived as a way to industrialize cooking; particularly in factories, prisons, and hospitals
Completely irrelevant. Its origins don't change the fact that it's been used in professional restaurant kitchens for far longer than you've been aware of the concept.

>So you admit that the extent that sous vide can achieve is just steaks at a consistent doneness? Wow, what an amazing machine.
No. Not sure how that's the one thing you took away from the post.

Not an argument

Not a strong point.

reminder that "cooking" food under 100C doesn't kill any germs efficiently. So those thermometer things are just good way to get salmonella.

my pleasure seniore, now, if I may ask, is it true that Grant is just a weimeraner with a moustache?

Thread scorecard

Pro sous vide arguments:
>Great precision and control
>Provides consistency
>Facilitates cooking process for finicky items
>Allows for long cooking times without overcooking
>Good for tenderizing tough meats as well as softening vegetables without overcooking
>Hailed as a great innovation in the culinary arts by industry leaders

Anti sous vide arguments:
>There are bags involved
>There is water involved
>It requires equipment

>Completely irrelevant. Its origins don't change the fact that it's been used in professional restaurant kitchens for far longer than you've been aware of the concept.

What does this have anything to do with sous vide in the current year? Why are you assuming that I haven't known about sous vide before some arbitrary point of time you've pulled out of your ass? Are you talking about Keller? That was long time ago senpai. Times have changed and the 90s had shitty food anyway. Peanut butter soup with smoked duck and smashed squash; New York Matinee called it a playful but mysterious little dish.

Soos Veed shills are out in full force today huh?

honestly they're just shitposting now with posts like this

I cook sous vide with an igloo cooler and a probe therm. come at me.

Ok

>Shilling a method of cooking
Yeah man, they're almost as bad as those fucking braising shills.

Better be careful, you could get called an Igloo shill for that post.

the only proper way to sous vide

just kidding please buy Joule at www.chefsteps.com i swear they don't pay me i just love sous vide so much because the possibilities are literally limitless this is the next superappliance of modern cuisine

If you weren't shilling I'd feel even more sorry for you.

If Hitler was alive in 2016 would he be sous vide'ing jews in giant plastic bags?

Still haven't seen a single legitimate argument against it. Call me shill all you want, it won't cover up your lack of arguments.